PDA

View Full Version : Parental Influence In Schools

Bullaholic
05-12-2011, 09:44 AM
How much influence do you think "who your parents are" plays in school activities, athletics, and school board decisions? You always hear this, but is it true?

I am particuliarly interested in the responses from you coaches and teachers, but appreciate all responses.

scrub c
05-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Do you mean is there any validity to the phrase,
"the apple don't fall far from the tree..."

Txbroadcaster
05-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by scrub c

no I THINK he means a coach feeling pressure to play certain pkids because who there parents are

Bullaholic
05-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by scrub c

Not exactly, I am asking if there is undue sway in school official , athletic, and school board decisions based on "who" a kid's parents "are" in a community.

STANG RED
05-12-2011, 10:03 AM
I've seen it happen on many occasions. I have no doubt it happens much more than you will ever get coaches to admit to.

Bullaholic
05-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I've seen it happen on many occasions. I have no doubt it happens much more than you will ever get coaches to admit to.

I agree, Stang--I'm not really looking for specifics, but rather just the consensus of opinion on the subject. Probably just should have put up a poll.

Ernest T Bass
05-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Happens much more in the smaller schools and towns. But, it varries from community to community. Jacksboro and Mineral Wells are two of the absolute worst that Ive heard of.

Bullaholic
05-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Happens much more in the smaller schools and towns. But, it varries from community to community. Jacksboro and Mineral Wells are two of the absolute worst that Ive heard of.

Thanks for the your bluntness, ETB---again, not trying to stir anything up, I am just curious how much pressure and how widespread parental "influence" is experienced by school staffs, administrators and boards on everything from academics, to athletics, to cheerleading.

pancho villa
05-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Happens at our school from time to time.

Ernest T Bass
05-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Thanks for the your bluntness, ETB---again, not trying to stir anything up, I am just curious how much pressure and how widespread parental "influence" is experienced by school staffs, administrators and boards on everything from academics, to athletics, to cheerleading.

I dont mind being blunt about it b/c some good men have lost their jobs and been forced to uproot their families over this kinda crap. Those are the two examples that stand out to me, b/c I knew people who were screwed pretty badly by both.

STANG RED
05-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Happens much more in the smaller schools and towns. But, it varries from community to community.

Very true. But this is nothing new. I saw it when I was in HS in the 70's, and I heard many stories of it happening alot in the 50's and 60's as well.
I've even known of people running for school board positions, just to gain influence over coaches.

Ernest T Bass
05-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Very true. But this is nothing new. I saw it when I was in HS in the 70's, and I heard many stories of it happening alot in the 50's and 60's as well.
I've even known of people running for school board positions, just to gain influence over coaches.

Definitely! I think it probably happens less than it used to. More so in the "time-warp towns", like the afformentioned two. Both of those places are like going back in time to the 50's and 60's, and not all in good ways.
I fell victim to this crap my very first year coaching. Have seen that same town do the same to a number of coaches since.

Farmersfan
05-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Definitely! I think it probably happens less than it used to. More so in the "time-warp towns", like the afformentioned two. Both of those places are like going back in time to the 50's and 60's, and not all in good ways.
I fell victim to this crap my very first year coaching. Have seen that same town do the same to a number of coaches since.

But isn't about 75% of this subjective opinion? And this kind of thing always has happened throughout history. The most influential people generally have a bigger say on how things were run. Hell, there have even been cliches' created about it 100s of years ago. ie' "The squeaky wheel gets the grease"...............

GrTigers6
05-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Even if it doesnt happen ever, It is stiil gonna be a thought of any person who thought that they should have been there instaed of the kid of a ( important person) which ever that may be, coach, superintendent,principle, board member.

partimefan
05-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Bullaholic,
Any coach worth his salt has one main goal - - winning. He knows that his job rides on people being happy, and that the best way to make the most people happy is to win. Playing a kid because of WHO he is instead of because of his talent and/or effort does not lead to winning. I know for a fact, the coach at your school is all about winning. I can name numerous kids of influential folks who have not gotten the playing time they wanted.

But, I don't think you are asking about football, are you?

The current fiasco in Bull-Land seems to be the result of an school officials stamp approving an unclear (and perhaps unfair) policy and then NOT being willing to consistently execute that policy. Too bad for all the kids involved.

Old Tiger
05-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
How much influence do you think "who your parents are" plays in school activities, athletics, and school board decisions? You always hear this, but is it true?

I am particuliarly interested in the responses from you coaches and teachers, but appreciate all responses. A LOT as far as athletics goes....some in activities...

If you don't think it does then you are naive.

Old Tiger
05-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Happens much more in the smaller schools and towns. But, it varries from community to community. Jacksboro and Mineral Wells are two of the absolute worst that Ive heard of. Come by Rockdale and see...

Bullaholic
05-12-2011, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by partimefan
Bullaholic,
Any coach worth his salt has one main goal - - winning. He knows that his job rides on people being happy, and that the best way to make the most people happy is to win. Playing a kid because of WHO he is instead of because of his talent and/or effort does not lead to winning. I know for a fact, the coach at your school is all about winning. I can name numerous kids of influential folks who have not gotten the playing time they wanted.

But, I don't think you are asking about football, are you?

The current fiasco in Bull-Land seems to be the result of an school officials stamp approving an unclear (and perhaps unfair) policy and then NOT being willing to consistently execute that policy. Too bad for all the kids involved.

Asking about anything connected to our schools, partime. And yes, the recent highly-contentious issue recently before our school board was not good for anyone.

BTW--never a doubt in my mind about Danny Henson playing to win with the kids he thinks can best get that done.