PDA

View Full Version : ETB's WTH Article of the Day

Ernest T Bass
05-12-2011, 06:01 AM
Really? $2 million? WTH?!

By PAUL J. WEBER, Associated Press – Wed May 11, 3:54 pm ET

SAN ANTONIO – Smile, Texas schoolchildren. You're on calorie camera.

That's the idea behind a $2 million project being unveiled Wednesday in the lunchroom of a San Antonio elementary school, where high-tech cameras installed in the cafeteria will begin photographing what foods children pile onto their trays — and later capture what they don't finish eating.

Digital imaging analysis of the snapshots will then calculate how many calories each student scarfed down. Local health officials said the program, funded by a U.S. Department of Agriculture grant, is the first of its kind in a U.S. school, and will be so precise that the technology can identify a half-eaten pear left on a lunch tray.

"This is very sophisticated," said Dr. Roberto Trevino, director of the San Antonio-based Social & Health Research Center, which will oversee the program.

Parents will be required to give consent for their children to participate, and receive regular reports showing what foods their kids are filling up on at lunch. Trevino said only the trays, and not students, will be photographed.

Here's how it works: students are assigned lunch trays with a unique bar code. After the children load up their plates down the line — mashed potatoes or green beans? french fries or fruit? — a camera above the cashier takes a picture of each tray.

When lunch is over and the kids return their plates to the kitchen, another camera takes a snapshot of what's left on the tray. Software then analyzes the before and after photos to calculate calories consumed and, according to Trevino, a report of nutrients in the foods.

Researchers hope parents will change eating habits at home once they see what their kids are choosing in schools. The data also will be used to study what foods children are likely to choose and how much of if they're eating.

Five San Antonio elementary schools will take part in the program. Researches selected poor, minority campuses where obesity rates and students at risk for diabetes are higher.

The grant from the USDA will fund the study for four years. Trevino said the coming school year will be very experimental, with programmers fine-tuning the cameras and imaging software to accurately identify what's a pear and what's an apple. He expects the "prototype" to be in place by the second year

injuredinmelee
05-12-2011, 06:19 AM
what a waste of time and money.

coach
05-12-2011, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Really? $2 million? ***?!

By PAUL J. WEBER, Associated Press – Wed May 11, 3:54 pm ET

SAN ANTONIO – Smile, Texas schoolchildren. You're on calorie camera.

That's the idea behind a $2 million project being unveiled Wednesday in the lunchroom of a San Antonio elementary school, where high-tech cameras installed in the cafeteria will begin photographing what foods children pile onto their trays — and later capture what they don't finish eating.

Digital imaging analysis of the snapshots will then calculate how many calories each student scarfed down. Local health officials said the program, funded by a U.S. Department of Agriculture grant, is the first of its kind in a U.S. school, and will be so precise that the technology can identify a half-eaten pear left on a lunch tray.

"This is very sophisticated," said Dr. Roberto Trevino, director of the San Antonio-based Social & Health Research Center, which will oversee the program.

Parents will be required to give consent for their children to participate, and receive regular reports showing what foods their kids are filling up on at lunch. Trevino said only the trays, and not students, will be photographed.

Here's how it works: students are assigned lunch trays with a unique bar code. After the children load up their plates down the line — mashed potatoes or green beans? french fries or fruit? — a camera above the cashier takes a picture of each tray.

When lunch is over and the kids return their plates to the kitchen, another camera takes a snapshot of what's left on the tray. Software then analyzes the before and after photos to calculate calories consumed and, according to Trevino, a report of nutrients in the foods.

Researchers hope parents will change eating habits at home once they see what their kids are choosing in schools. The data also will be used to study what foods children are likely to choose and how much of if they're eating.

Five San Antonio elementary schools will take part in the program. Researches selected poor, minority campuses where obesity rates and students at risk for diabetes are higher.

The grant from the USDA will fund the study for four years. Trevino said the coming school year will be very experimental, with programmers fine-tuning the cameras and imaging software to accurately identify what's a pear and what's an apple. He expects the "prototype" to be in place by the second year

etb i have not really been following but isnt there some budget problems in texas schools? my goodness this is ridiculous

PPHSfan
05-12-2011, 07:27 AM
When I was in school you had three choices.

What your mom sent in a sack.

What you imbezzled from other kids.

Or what the lunch lady put on the plate.

"fries or fruit". Are you FRIGGIN kidding me?

Txbroadcaster
05-12-2011, 07:37 AM
It is so funny.they want to improve the health thru food, but have cut down so much on PE and recess time. You would think with all the experts someone would point out that the kids need to be more active during the school day.

GrTigers6
05-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
It is so funny.they want to improve the health thru food, but have cut down so much on PE and recess time. You would think with all the experts someone would point out that the kids need to be more active during the school day. Your exactly right.
that 1 meal a day is what is making them overweight. give me a break.
Parents need to get them off the couch and send them outside.!

theville
05-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Your exactly right.

Agreed! :)

RoyceTTU
05-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Your exactly right.

This reminded me of an ARD that my wife was at a couple of days ago.

The parent was sporadicly giving autistic meds to her child because the meds made her kid gain a bunch of weight. During the ard they were talking about his eating habits.

Wife(this year teacher) - "will you continue to provide lunches, he seems to be eating those well compared to the cafeteria food"

Parent - "I will"

Next year teacher - "parent - I thought you had him lunch waiting for him daily from allsups when he gets out at noon"

Parent - "I do also"

Wife - ":confused: He eats lunch everyday 30 min before you pick him up the food you packed"

Diagnostician - ":eek: Well Parent, there's your weight problem"

Really, tough to sympathise with what some people think

Txbroadcaster
05-12-2011, 07:56 AM
Your exactly right.

not just the parents is my point.the schools need to promote it as well

When I was in middle school our PE was awesome..we had flag football league then a basketball league anf finished the year with a kick ball league...it was a blast...we got out and were active at recesss as well..When I went a few years ago to have lunch with my daughter I happened to get there during her pe class.there big activity was...walking around the track. I asked how many times they did that and she said almost daily unless it is raining then we walk in the gym

bolshavik
05-12-2011, 08:07 AM
not just the parents is my point.the schools need to promote it as well

When I was in middle school our PE was awesome..we had flag football league then a basketball league anf finished the year with a kick ball league...it was a blast...we got out and were active at recesss as well..When I went a few years ago to have lunch with my daughter I happened to get there during her pe class.there big activity was...walking around the track. I asked how many times they did that and she said almost daily unless it is raining then we walk in the gym

Every kid starting in 1st grade needs to have P.E. and run quarters at the end of the period. When you get to 7th grade Athletics counts as a P.E. but all other kids not in athletics must be in P.E. and run quarters. Do this 7th - 12th grade. Will fix a ton of weight problems. If you cant handle it then you are not allowed to finish school and graduate.

bobcat1
05-12-2011, 08:17 AM
Absolutely another stupid government waste of money.

Ernest T Bass
05-12-2011, 08:21 AM
Wanna know why it costs so much to educate kids? B/c we're not just educating them anymore. We're raising them!! You wanna cut education costs, parents, do your %$%$%^& job! If you want us to do it for you, it's gonna cost more money!
There's your budget crisis!

OLE'BULL
05-12-2011, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
This reminded me of an ARD that my wife was at a couple of days ago.

The parent was sporadicly giving autistic meds to her child because the meds made her kid gain a bunch of weight. During the ard they were talking about his eating habits.

Wife(this year teacher) - "will you continue to provide lunches, he seems to be eating those well compared to the cafeteria food"

Parent - "I will"

Next year teacher - "parent - I thought you had him lunch waiting for him daily from allsups when he gets out at noon"

Parent - "I do also"

Wife - ":confused: He eats lunch everyday 30 min before you pick him up the food you packed"

Diagnostician - ":eek: Well Parent, there's your weight problem"

Really, tough to sympathise with what some people think

Is it just me or was that really tough to follow? I get the point but had to re-read it 3 times and am still having trouble. :confused: :confused: :confused:

RoyceTTU
05-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by OLE'BULL
Is it just me or was that really tough to follow? I get the point but had to re-read it 3 times and am still having trouble. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sorry, LOL, I got tired of working with it and said screw it and posted it :D

bolshavik
05-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Wanna know why it costs so much to educate kids? B/c we're not just educating them anymore. We're raising them!! You wanna cut education costs, parents, do your %$%$%^& job! If you want us to do it for you, it's gonna cost more money!

How are we raising them? Now, I can see where we baby sit them, but raising them??? We just have them from 8-3 and usually just 45 minutes at a time and then a new herd comes in.

Ernest T Bass
05-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by bolshavik
How are we raising them? Now, I can see where we baby sit them, but raising them??? We just have them from 8-3 and usually just 45 minutes at a time and then a new herd comes in.

In that 7 hours, we're teaching kids curriculum, life lessons, decision making, the English language, discipline, character lessons, hygene, health, nutrition, putting emphasis on education and work ethic, feeding them, and in some cases clothing them; all things, other than curriculum, that should be coming from home. Ive taught several boys how to shave b/c no one at home has taught them. We all talk about how it all starts at home, but when it doesn't start at home, it has to be done by the schools.
I guess I was lucky, b/c I got every bit of that from home(sans the curriculum).

pancho villa
05-12-2011, 09:25 AM
I know a lot of our football players stay at the FH,weight room, and football field untill we have to make them go home, because it is a lot nicer there than at home.

bolshavik
05-12-2011, 09:26 AM
In that 7 hours, we're teaching kids curriculum, life lessons, decision making, the English language, discipline, character lessons, hygene, health, nutrition, putting emphasis on education and work ethic, feeding them, and in some cases clothing them; all things, other than curriculum, that should be coming from home. Ive taught several boys how to shave b/c no one at home has taught them. We all talk about how it all starts at home, but when it doesn't start at home, it has to be done by the schools.
I guess I was lucky, b/c I got every bit of that from home(sans the curriculum).

Saw this same deal on another board and I would have to agree with that poster too.

All of this is education besides maybe clothing a kid.

Ernest T Bass
05-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Saw this same deal on another board and I would have to agree with that poster too.

All of this is education besides maybe clothing a kid.

Feeding and insuring them, too? Teaching values, ethics, emphasis on education, work ethic, responsibility, character, and accountability? Making sure they get to school? Like I said, I was lucky, I got all that from home. But, it's now my job to make sure that those things are taught(along with TEKS and TAKS objectives).

NastySlot
05-12-2011, 09:42 AM

probably because not only in the seven hours of instruction do teachers/coaches see kids...but also in the extra hours of practices (band, academic athletic)...tutoring......oh I will give you babysitting a few because parents drop off their child(ren) early sometimes up to an hour before school...pick them up late......then if the kid is lucky when they go home they might have parents there willing to spend time with them and even ask them how their day went or if they have homework....the parent and child might see each other a few hours before going to bed to start it all over again.........every been to a school.. kids hate the instruction time 8-3:35....but sure the heck love hanging out and not going home right away.

Structure, Discipline and Authority......three things I respect cause my Dad taught me too........our schools are sometimes (just barely now a days) the last bastion of those three things I believe in.

NastySlot
05-12-2011, 09:44 AM
this maybe easier to understand....Bolshevik.

In loco parentis

bolshavik
05-12-2011, 09:48 AM
All of this is still education and part of the learning process. Kids are getting those lessons at home too but the community wants those same things reinforced at the local school house as well. Tax dollars are spent to provide all these things and it is expected by the local community. It is all education boys and if you dont like it just get out.

Ernest T Bass
05-12-2011, 09:52 AM
All of this is still education and part of the learning process. Kids are getting those lessons at home too but the community wants those same things reinforced at the local school house as well. Tax dollars are spent to provide all these things and it is expected by the local community. It is all education boys and if you dont like it just get out.

My kids aren't getting it at home, I can promise you that.
But I wasn't complaining about it, just stating that it increases the cost of education. If the community wants it, then they'll get it. But don't bitch about the cost of education.

bolshavik
05-12-2011, 09:56 AM
My kids aren't getting it at home, I can promise you that.
But I wasn't complaining about it, just stating that it increases the cost of education. If the community wants it, then they'll get it. But don't bitch about the cost of education.

Only people Beeching bout the cost of education are Perry and his Republican morons

NastySlot
05-12-2011, 09:58 AM

oh I like it...and I'm going to take a guess here but you re not in education so you don't know how it works..........believe me those in edcuation play by the rules given to them-even if they don't like them or agree with them...and rules are changing almost up to the minute.........and who likes to be the scapegoat and considered the root of all societies problems?

I don't think you get educators in these discussions complaining and hating there jobs....I ve said it before they are defending there jobs.........something the vast majority of people don't do because they don't understand what goes on in the public school system and because it's easy to blame ..........sort of like blaming the President (any President not just our current) for our country's problems....it't easy.

NastySlot
05-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Only people Beeching bout the cost of education are Perry and his Republican morons

because they have too many personal agenda s with their small inner circle of friends most of which I would venture to say send their children to private schools (maybe not even in this state) and or have something to gain with vouchers.

bolshavik
05-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
oh I like it...and I'm going to take a guess here but you re not in education so you don't know how it works..........believe me those in edcuation play by the rules given to them-even if they don't like them or agree with them...and they are changing almost up to the minute.........and who likes to be the scapegoat and considered the root of all societies problems?

I don't think you get educators in these discussions complaining and hating there jobs....I ve said it before they are defending there jobs.........something the vast majority of people don't do because they don't understand what goes on in the public school system and because it's easy to blame ..........sort of like blaming the President (any President not just our current) for our country's problems....it't easy.

You are wrong...Aint anybody ever told ya never to assume?? ass/u/me?? I know and Understand. Been it it 15 plus years

bolshavik
05-12-2011, 10:03 AM
because they have too many personal agenda s with their small inner circle of friends most of which I would venture to say send their children to private schools (maybe not even in this state) and or have something to gain with vouchers.

Now, have ya thought of it this way Nastslot???

Teachers and Coaches could benefit big time from Vouchers???

NastySlot
05-12-2011, 10:08 AM
You are wrong...Aint anybody ever told ya never to assume?? ass/u/me?? I know and Understand. Been it it 15 plus years

it was just a (wrong) guess....sorry.

NastySlot
05-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Now, have ya thought of it this way Nastslot???

Teachers and Coaches could benefit big time from Vouchers???

not too much thought.....cause I just can't figure out Vouchers...tax money spent to educate children in a Private school?

our state is struggling to fund public education as we speak.

am I way off?

bolshavik
05-12-2011, 10:12 AM
not too much thought.....cause I just can't figure out Vouchers...tax money spent to educate children in a Private school?

our state is struggling to fund public education as we speak.

am I way off?

If vouchers go up Private schools could afford to hire away the best teachers and or Coaches and then Publics would have to pay more to keep good teachers. This could give way more power to teachers and coach's and less to region centers etc... Anything that drives up my salary I would be for...Just food for thought there Nastyslot...Think on that a bit :)

Im frickn serious think about it

Ernest T Bass
05-12-2011, 10:15 AM
If vouchers go up Private schools could afford to hire away the best teachers and or Coaches and then Publics would have to pay more to keep good teachers. This could give way more power to teachers and coach's and less to region centers etc... Anything that drives up my salary I would be for...Just food for thought there Nastyslot...Think on that a bit :)

Im frickn serious think about it

But, vouchers=tax money which equals government money. When has the government EVER funded something and didn't take control over it?

bolshavik
05-12-2011, 11:58 AM
But, vouchers=tax money which equals government money. When has the government EVER funded something and didn't take control over it?

Thats ok, Im just saying..Could drive the price way way up for good teachers and coache's....And that I would be for :)

BEAST
05-12-2011, 12:56 PM
It is so funny.they want to improve the health thru food, but have cut down so much on PE and recess time. You would think with all the experts someone would point out that the kids need to be more active during the school day.

We have a winner here.

At my sons school, if a kid gets in trouble for any little thing, he has to miss recess/PE. I think he should have to miss lunch, or just give him some slop or something. But not cut out the only time of the day that a lot of the kids exercise.

BEAST

Phantom Stang
05-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
When I was in school you had three choices.

What your mom sent in a sack.

What you imbezzled from other kids.

Or what the lunch lady put on the plate.

"fries or fruit". Are you FRIGGIN kidding me?
True, but I also remember my elementary school having a chocolate milk break mid morning, and an ice cream break in the afternoon.:)

bolshavik
05-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Remember those pink panther bars?

Daddy D 11
05-12-2011, 03:11 PM

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. The reason education continues to have a funding problem, is because over the past 30 years the responsibilities of schools has dramatically increased. Now there is a program for almost everything, thus equating to way more money needed for schools to function today. :clap:

Daddy D 11
05-12-2011, 03:13 PM
When has the government EVER funded something and didn't take control over it?

In your life right now, would you fund something and just not control it?
With increasing costs of education, control has to increase in some areas.

Ernest T Bass
05-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
In your life right now, would you fund something and just not control it?
With increasing costs of education, control has to increase in some areas.

Not questioning it, was just responding to the post saying that vouchers would give much more power to teachers and coaches and take it away from the regional service centers. I was assuming he meant because they would be at private schools. But once tax money is used to fund it, it's no longer private.

Daddy D 11
05-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Not questioning it, was just responding to the post saying that vouchers would give much more power to teachers and coaches and take it away from the regional service centers. I was assuming he meant because they would be at private schools. But once tax money is used to fund it, it's no longer private.

gotcha:)

bolshavik
05-12-2011, 04:25 PM

Would be just like Colleges who receive federal and state funds yet remain Private. Dang...Do I always have to spell it out for folks on here?