PDA

View Full Version : O.H. Ivie predicted to dry up by Dec 2012?

stang92
05-12-2011, 05:37 AM
Heard this on the news this morning. Bad news

PPHSfan
05-12-2011, 07:35 AM
It doesn't matter, because the Mayan calendar runs out before then. :p

BEAST
05-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by stang92
Heard this on the news this morning. Bad news

They let way to many towns suck out of it before they knew it could sustain it.

BEAST

stang92
05-12-2011, 12:10 PM
It's extremely hard for the West Texas lakes to stay full because of lower rainfall than other parts of the state. Spence was one of the top striper lakes in Texas 20 years ago, and now its finished.Same with JB Thomas, used to be a good crappie lake but nows just a mudhole. How does Amistad stay full all the time?

injuredinmelee
05-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by stang92
It's extremely hard for the West Texas lakes to stay full because of lower rainfall than other parts of the state. Spence was one of the top striper lakes in Texas 20 years ago, and now its finished.Same with JB Thomas, used to be a good crappie lake but nows just a mudhole. How does Amistad stay full all the time? \
Rio?

NastySlot
05-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
\
Rio?

I would guess the Rio Grande also but I believe there is a river in Mexico that flows into the Rio Grande also that may help it also.

BwdLion73
05-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Amistad was 45 feet or so below spillway a few years back.

upper20
05-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Regarding Ivie, see the link below for a recent article entitled: West Texas' Dwindling Lakes.

The GM of the Colorado River Municipal Water District attributes the decline to less intense rainfall patterns and changes to land management practices.

Article also references the water plan for a 32-county region that includes Midland, Odessa and San Angelo – it states that ten of the last fifteen years show less rainfall than the historic average, worse than the drought of record. "The current drought appears more severe than the 1950’s drought," the plan says.

http://www.texasobserver.org/forrestforthetrees/west-texas-dwindling-lakes

It would be interesting to know if any water is being pumped downstream to supplement the water taken out of Lake Travis for rice farms.

Trashman
05-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Upper, the Colorado river just south of Brownwood is not even flowing. So the rice farmers are definitely not getting it.:(

LionKing
05-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
Amistad was 45 feet or so below spillway a few years back. Yes it was, what has helped Amistad is a couple of tropical storm/ hurricane reminants made landfall and ran up thru Mexico all the way past Del Rio dumping vast amounts of rain on the rio grande watershed.

big daddy russ
05-12-2011, 06:15 PM
I know the Pecos, the Rio Grande, and the Devil's River all meet up at or around Amistad. Don't know if any other rivers do, though.

Originally posted by BwdLion73
Amistad was 45 feet or so below spillway a few years back.
In the late-90's or early-00's, it was 60 feet below spillway. My grandparents (who live on the lake) could barely find a place to launch their boat.

injuredinmelee
05-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I know the Pecos, the Rio Grande, and the Devil's River all meet up at or around Amistad. Don't know if any other rivers do, though.

In the late-90's or early-00's, it was 60 feet below spillway. My grandparents (who live on the lake) could barely find a place to launch their boat.
I love the park where the Pecos flows into the Rio. The name of it escapes me.

big daddy russ
05-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I love the park where the Pecos flows into the Rio. The name of it escapes me.
Can't remember it either, but I agree. The overlook above the boat ramp is incredible, but I crawl into the fetal position everytime I go over that bridge. I'm a little scared of heights.