PDA

View Full Version : Seagoville Classroom Fights

Bullaholic
05-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Do you think teachers should break up fights?

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Teacher-looks-on-during-classroom-fight-at-Seagoville-HS-121541974.html

bolshavik
05-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Nope, With Administrators the way they are now I would feel very uncomfortable breaking up a fight. Also, Race can play a huge part in this as well. You go to seperate kids and who are you grabbing, how will it be viewed etc.. I would just call for help. Admin has created this monster. There is 0 discipline in schools

Ernest T Bass
05-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Yes.

Ernest T Bass
05-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by bolshavik
Nope, With Administrators the way they are now I would feel very uncomfortable breaking up a fight. Also, Race can play a huge part in this as well. You go to seperate kids and who are you grabbing, how will it be viewed etc.. I would just call for help. Admin has created this monster. There is 0 discipline in schools

This too.

Blastoderm55
05-11-2011, 10:03 AM
I say call the cops and grab the popcorn.

bolshavik
05-11-2011, 10:07 AM
My instinct says yes but im tellin ya boys it aint worth your reputation and being on the news and what not. I just do not feel that you would really be supported by admin at all if it got dicy.

LIONS#1
05-11-2011, 10:17 AM
A teacher that has any guts what so ever should break up the fight!!

jason
05-11-2011, 10:21 AM
seems like the kid who did the punching should be in jail...

Emerson1
05-11-2011, 10:22 AM
This guy should have. He is a big black dude and it was a white kid who probably would have crapped his pants the second the teacher started walking towards him.

Now if it a little tiny lady up against these kids or your usual DISD demographic, then no.

NastySlot
05-11-2011, 10:27 AM
something needed to be done....I understand you take the chance of not getting support from the admin.

I always found the easiest way to seperate or stop a fight is to grab the kid getting beat...it gets him out of harms way....yell at him to get his @$$ to the office and then deal with the aggressor.

pancho villa
05-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Call the kids parents and have them break it up.

scrub c
05-11-2011, 10:48 AM
get your cell phone out and record it, then send it to the admin...

pancho villa
05-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Get the parents to school the next day and they can fight it out.

coach
05-11-2011, 11:16 AM
lcall for help asap. let them duke it out unless other kids are at risk then you must break it up

Roughneck93
05-11-2011, 11:21 AM
If it were me, I'd break it up. I think as a teacher, I'm there to protect as well as educate.

bolshavik
05-11-2011, 11:59 AM
I would too in West Columbia...Uh. in dallas isd...No, i wouldnt

Roughneck93
05-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by bolshavik
I would too in West Columbia...Uh. in dallas isd...No, i wouldnt
I get where you're coming from....but me personally, that wouldn't be in me to sit aside. I understand that danger involved, them turning on you, liability, etc.

GreenMonster
05-11-2011, 12:12 PM
I think you treat it like a hockey referee, wait until one of them goes down then jump on him and drag him out of there. Until then keep all of the other kids out of harm's way and enjoy your front row view!

Ernest T Bass
05-11-2011, 12:15 PM
When boys fight, they want you to break it up. Usually just your presence will get them to stop. Usually, the only reason they're fighting is so they don't look like a punk infront of the girls.
Girls, on the other hand, will fight to the death if you don't physically break them up.

Roughneck93
05-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
When boys fight, they want you to break it up. Usually just your presence will get them to stop. Usually, the only reason they're fighting is so they don't look like a punk infront of the girls.
Girls, on the other hand, will fight to the death if you don't physically break them up.

True.

Matthew328
05-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Breaking up girl fights is dicier because of girl parts being involved...can't tell you how many boobs I saw in high school watching girl fights...it was awesome

GrTigers6
05-11-2011, 12:22 PM
I would say call for help and then try to stop it with out getting in the middle of it, voice commands, and if that doesnt work then I say you have to do what you can to stop it, especially if someone is gonna get seriously hurt.
I dont think I could just stand and watch!

GrTigers6
05-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Breaking up girl fights is dicier because of girl parts being involved...can't tell you how many boobs I saw in high school watching girl fights...it was awesome Isnt it funny they always go for the hair or the clothes, or both:)

RoyceTTU
05-11-2011, 12:25 PM
If Boys were fighting I would break it up without even thinking about it. My guess is I wouldn't be too nice about it either. I'm sure this would be a no win situation for me but no way could I watch someone hit another while he was down.

If the two were standing toe to toe, I would probably yell at them to stop and not intervene and actually give them a chance to resolve themselves. As soon as the first punch was thrown I would be in there. I really wouldn't care who the agressor because I would probably end up slinging both away from one another.(but hey that's better than putting them in a choke hold until they passed out)

As for girls, I'm not sure what I'd do. :confused: This is a no win.

I bounced off and on in college and a little after for extra cash. The lighter you go into one of these situations is a quick way to get yourself hurt. Maybe that's different with HS kids.

If they are related, like brothers, your best to let them have at it or your likely to have them both against you:eek:

themsu97
05-11-2011, 12:27 PM
what makes it bad is the teacher does not even make an attempt to do anything... even going in the hallway and yelling for help would be better... as a teacher you have to do something, you have to protect yourself, but you have to do something...

Ernest T Bass
05-11-2011, 12:34 PM
In the end, Im reminded of a George Patton quote:
"Do your duty as you see it and damn the consequences"

scrub c
05-11-2011, 12:36 PM
was there a video or something I was supposed to watch... i must be missing something

Emerson1
05-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by scrub c
was there a video or something I was supposed to watch... i must be missing something
Clicking the link would help.

Bullaholic
05-11-2011, 12:37 PM
It is my understanding that fighting has been an ongoing problem in Seagoville for a while now. I think they will have no other option than to seriously consider full-time on-campus security in the future. IMO, other high-incidence schools will have to consider this option, also. Perhaps some teachers/coaches would consider law enforcement certification if they were compensated.

NastySlot
05-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
what makes it bad is the teacher does not even make an attempt to do anything... even going in the hallway and yelling for help would be better... as a teacher you have to do something, you have to protect yourself, but you have to do something...

he probably could of prevented the whole situation.

RoyceTTU
05-11-2011, 12:44 PM
I remember in JH and HS, if you got into a fight at school, the police would pick you up and take you to the jail for your parents to pick you up.

Do they still do that?

jason
05-11-2011, 12:48 PM
should equip teachers with the high powered propulsion devices that project those little bean bags from them....

Roughneck93
05-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by jason
should equip teachers with the high powered propulsion devices that project those little bean bags from them....

Now that's an idea right there!

forum_guy
05-11-2011, 12:54 PM
so let me get this straight the guy getting punched didn't get dropped one time? Guy must have a great chin

scrub c
05-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Clicking the link would help.

blockage on the vid, but did read the article... shame on the teacher...

SHSBulldog00
05-11-2011, 07:32 PM
I broke up a fight a few years ago at Conroe Oak Ridge HS. After I took the two boys to the principal I was told there was a gang fight at the school a week before I arrived and HPD was called in to arrest 30 students.

Old LB
05-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
I remember in JH and HS, if you got into a fight at school, the police would pick you up and take you to the jail for your parents to pick you up.

Do they still do that?

They do at Brownwood, not sure about others.

kaorder1999
05-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
It is my understanding that fighting has been an ongoing problem in Seagoville for a while now. I think they will have no other option than to seriously consider full-time on-campus security in the future. IMO, other high-incidence schools will have to consider this option, also. Perhaps some teachers/coaches would consider law enforcement certification if they were compensated.

what makes you think they do not have full time on campus security??

Bullaholic
05-11-2011, 08:39 PM
If they do, ka, it is apparently broken.

Ernest T Bass
05-11-2011, 08:56 PM
If they do, ka, it is apparently broken.

I'm sure they don't have one in every classroom.

Bullaholic
05-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
I'm sure they don't have one in every classroom.

I don't know what Seagoville HS has or doesn't have security-wise , ETB---the point is that I have read no account of any security from anywhere stopping a classroom fight anytime.

kaorder1999
05-11-2011, 09:13 PM
I don't know what Seagoville HS has or doesn't have security-wise , ETB---the point is that I have read no account of any security from anywhere stopping a classroom fight anytime.

I was just being funny...Seagoville DOES have a Dallas ISD swarn in Police Officer assigned to their campus with power to arrest....as well as one or two full time security non-swarn officers...and full time hall monitors...as does EVERY dallas isd high school

Bullaholic
05-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
I was just being funny...Seagoville DOES have a Dallas ISD swarn in Police Officer assigned to their campus with power to arrest....as well as one or two full time security non-swarn officers...and full time hall monitors...as does EVERY dallas isd high school

Then apparently the teachers are not calling for any of these security people to handle any of these fights?

kaorder1999
05-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Then apparently the teachers are not calling for any of these security people to handle any of these fights?

that is correct..the teacher involved in these videos DID NOT call for help..and DID NOT report it later...

Bullaholic
05-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
that is correct..the teacher involved in these videos DID NOT call for help..and DID NOT report it later...

IMO, it sounds like Seagoville HS has a teacher who likes to watch kids fight or is too incompetent to know what to do, or just doesn't want to be bothered.

kaorder1999
05-11-2011, 09:31 PM
ill take choice 2

GreenMonster
05-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Has anyone read any of the comments at the bottom of the page? Sounds like the victim is anything but. Had the teacher gone to call security it could have easily escalated further. Instead he (the teacher) stood his ground and verbally tried to end the fracus. Hopefully he called security/admins once order was restored to his classroom. He could have asked one of the students to go get help though.

kaorder1999
05-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Has anyone read any of the comments at the bottom of the page? Sounds like the victim is anything but. Had the teacher gone to call security it could have easily escalated further. Instead he (the teacher) stood his ground and verbally tried to end the fracus. Hopefully he called security/admins once order was restored to his classroom. He could have asked one of the students to go get help though.

dont feel sorry for the young man getting hit..believe me..if you knew everything about him and what he has done this year you would NOT feel sorry for him. BUT..the teacher did NOTHING to try to stop it no matter what the comments say. AND..never reported the incident to his superiors!

themsu97
05-12-2011, 06:58 AM
I will take my chances in a court of law when I break up a fight... safety of students has to come first, end of story... that teacher needs to be fired... of course he may have already been rif'ed and did not care

scrub c
05-12-2011, 07:23 AM
i agree with greenmonster, after reading the comments posted at the bottom of the article, the kid that used his face as a punching bag is a real tool... there are claims that he pulled a box-cutter on a girl, did some iss time and was put back in class...

I'm beginning to think the teacher was at a critical teaching moment and could not be interrupted... :D

kaorder1999
05-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by themsu97
I will take my chances in a court of law when I break up a fight... safety of students has to come first, end of story... that teacher needs to be fired... of course he may have already been rif'ed and did not care

there have been no teachers RIF'd yet in Dallas ISD as far as I know....

SWMustang
05-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
I broke up a fight a few years ago at Conroe Oak Ridge HS. After I took the two boys to the principal I was told there was a gang fight at the school a week before I arrived and HPD was called in to arrest 30 students.

why did they call HPD if this was in Conroe?