PDA

View Full Version : 12%

PPHSfan
05-10-2011, 06:47 PM
12%

That's how much less fuel I used last week by setting my cruise control on 60 instead of 70 for ONE week.

Doesn't seem like much I know, but it was just a test.

I travel a lot in my work, and last week I drove 1500 miles. At $3.90 a gallon, I saved $40.70 last week on gasoline. Chicken feed I know, but think about it for a minute. I also probably saved tire wear, engine wear, and my survival rate in a crash was probably higher.

I did some checking. Did you know that Americans spend $1,600,000,000.00 a day on gasoline? That's just gas, none of this cost is diesel. Now 12% of 1.6 Billion is one hundred and ninety two Million dollars a day.

So I was thinking, the next time I get upset about having to go around an 18 wheeler that is going 60, I'm gonna think twice about how all of those slow trucks are saving us billions a day in demand on foreign oil.

GrTigers6
05-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Im no genius by any means but how do you save on tire wear if you are traveling the same distance but taking longer to get there?:thinking:

PPHSfan
05-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Im no genius by any means but how do you save on tire wear if you are traveling the same distance but taking longer to get there?:thinking:

I'm guessing that by going slower, the friction and stress is lower on the tire. I could be wrong. But the tire part really isn't the issue.

Sweetwater Red
05-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
12%

That's how much less fuel I used last week by setting my cruise control on 60 instead of 70 for ONE week.

Doesn't seem like much I know, but it was just a test.

I travel a lot in my work, and last week I drove 1500 miles. At $3.90 a gallon, I saved $40.70 last week on gasoline. Chicken feed I know, but think about it for a minute. I also probably saved tire wear, engine wear, and my survival rate in a crash was probably higher.

I did some checking. Did you know that Americans spend $1,600,000,000.00 a day on gasoline? That's just gas, none of this cost is diesel. Now 12% of 1.6 Billion is one hundred and ninety two Million dollars a day.

So I was thinking, the next time I get upset about having to go around an 18 wheeler that is going 60, I'm gonna think twice about how all of those slow trucks are saving us billions a day in demand on foreign oil.

Nice. Now set the cruise back to 70, turn the AC off when you're traveling and compare the savings.

PPHSfan
05-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Nice. Now set the cruise back to 70, turn the AC off when you're traveling and compare the savings.

I would rather drive 45 than turn off the ac.

Sweetwater Red
05-10-2011, 07:09 PM
I would rather drive 45 than turn off the ac.

Right? I've never heard how much gas it actually saves. But, I'm guessing it's less than 12%
depending on what speed you have it set on.

XtremeCouture
05-10-2011, 07:10 PM

delete your post man. seriously

coach
05-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by XtremeCouture
delete your post man. seriously

lol

GrTigers6
05-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by XtremeCouture
delete your post man. seriously DELETE YOURS:D

PPHSfan
05-10-2011, 07:23 PM

You are correct.

You are no genius by any means.

GrTigers6
05-10-2011, 07:37 PM
You are correct.

You are no genius by any means. Meaning?

Sweetwater Red
05-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Meaning?

Hey, sometimes it better to just take your lumps and move on.

GrTigers6
05-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Hey, sometimes it better to just take your lumps and move on. Lumps for what? I was just trying to start a conversation and got people jumping all over me, What happen to this being a fun place?

Sweetwater Red
05-10-2011, 07:48 PM
You'll figure it out if you stay around long enough.

SintonFan
05-10-2011, 08:35 PM
What happen to this being a fun place?

June is not here yet.:D ;)

GrTigers6
05-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
June is not here yet.:D ;) But not as good as August:D

bolshavik
05-10-2011, 09:17 PM
I'm guessing that by going slower, the friction and stress is lower on the tire. I could be wrong. But the tire part really isn't the issue.

Wow...You really are boring.

Emerson1
05-10-2011, 10:20 PM
MythBusters debunked that. Having your windows open is worse then running the AC actually.

Ernest T Bass
05-10-2011, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
MythBusters debunked that. Having your windows open is worse then running the AC actually.

Beat me to it. But I wanna make sure I get some credit for it, anyway, so Im gonna post about how I thought about it, too.

Emerson1
05-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Driving with your tail gate down is also bad for your mileage.

AngeloState39
05-10-2011, 11:02 PM
Driving with your tail gate down is also bad for your mileage. really?

Ernest T Bass
05-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Yep, otherwise there is a naturally occuring bubble that forms in the bed and prevents wind resistance.

Emerson1
05-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by AngeloState39
really?
A bubble of air forms when the tailgate is up. Which in turn makes the air coming over the top just bounce off that bubble. With it down it would shoot straight down and drag along the bed.

SintonFan
05-10-2011, 11:53 PM
Driving with your tail gate down is also bad for your mileage.

And your image!

http://brazensophistication.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/say-no-to-sagging-pants-fashion-faux-pas.jpg :doh:

Tx Challenge
05-11-2011, 12:19 AM
I guess this is all good. Read the entire thread. All I have to contribute is I WISH I could find gas for ONLY $3.90 a gallon!!! I payed $4.27 my last tank.

big daddy russ
05-11-2011, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Tx Challenge
I guess this is all good. Read the entire thread. All I have to contribute is I WISH I could find gas for ONLY $3.90 a gallon!!! I payed $4.27 my last tank.
What's up, buddy?

$4.27, eh? Ouch. Gas should keep going up the next three months at least. With the oil companies switching to their summer mix and the last three months' prices of oil futures, you may be paying $5 out in Hollywood by the time August rolls around.

Emerson1
05-11-2011, 01:07 AM
I'm glad I have no reason to leave Forney the next 3 months. I plan on putting less then 500 miles on my truck this summer lol.

big daddy russ
05-11-2011, 01:12 AM
I'm glad I have no reason to leave Forney the next 3 months. I plan on putting less then 500 miles on my truck this summer lol.
I was trying to figure out ways to squeeze 20 MPG out of my Avalanche. You know, maybe if I did X and Y I could pull it off.

End result: it'd be cheaper to buy a Prius.

Emerson1
05-11-2011, 01:16 AM
I've never gotten 20 mpg out of my silverado. I definitely won't now since most of my driving will be a 3 mile trip that takes 10 minutes because of the stop and goes.

I always fill up completely and calculate my MPG. Wal Mart gas usually gets me 1-1.5 mpg less than anywhere else. So that 3 cents you save really isn't worth it. Especially here where the pumps are always full.

Daddy D 11
05-11-2011, 01:27 AM
Emerson, what kind of job you got for the summer?

Tx Challenge
05-11-2011, 02:14 AM

I figure I can just buy your used Prius!

big daddy russ
05-11-2011, 02:18 AM
I've never gotten 20 mpg out of my silverado. I definitely won't now since most of my driving will be a 3 mile trip that takes 10 minutes because of the stop and goes.

I always fill up completely and calculate my MPG. Wal Mart gas usually gets me 1-1.5 mpg less than anywhere else. So that 3 cents you save really isn't worth it. Especially here where the pumps are always full.
Saw the same thing with my old 1990 Suburban back in college. Got right around 11 MPG with Wal-Mart gas, went up to 13.5 MPG when I switched over to Shell.

I've never seen a gas truck that realistically got 20 MPG on a consistent basis, even with all the exhaust and computer tuning in the world. I hear a bunch of friends brag about getting 20 MPG. Then look like they got junk-punched when they're turned into liars after clocking out at 15 or 16 MPG (even though their in-dash readout swears 18 MPG) after a tank.

Don't know much about those new Ford Ecotecs. Maybe they could crack 18 MPG.

Emerson1
05-11-2011, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Emerson, what kind of job you got for the summer?
Lowe's. Nothing exciting.

Tx Challenge
05-11-2011, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
What's up, buddy?

$4.27, eh? Ouch. Gas should keep going up the next three months at least. With the oil companies switching to their summer mix and the last three months' prices of oil futures, you may be paying $5 out in Hollywood by the time August rolls around.

Hey Bro, Hope the back is better. Actually everything is close. I fill up once a month. We also bike : ) Bought baskets, so grocery shopping is 3 blocks away. Way of life here, esp in these times

big daddy russ
05-11-2011, 02:22 AM
Hey Bro, Hope the back is better. Actually everything is close. I fill up once a month. We also bike : ) Bought baskets, so grocery shopping is 3 blocks away. Way of life here, esp in these times
I'm able to use my legs again and I think I'm out of the hospital for good. That's a plus.

Nothing wrong with simplifying. And as little as you're going to the gas station, you might want to invest in some fuel stabilizer between fill-ups. ;)

Just messing, but that's not a bad setup.

Tx Challenge
05-11-2011, 02:34 AM
I'm able to use my legs again and I think I'm out of the hospital for good. That's a plus.

Nothing wrong with simplifying. And as little as you're going to the gas station, you might want to invest in some fuel stabilizer between fill-ups. ;)

Just messing, but that's not a bad setup.

Stay out of the hosp bro. Nah, I am thinking Moped. My fat azz would be a load though 5 bites though! Keep that in mind!

Ernest T Bass
05-11-2011, 06:00 AM
With the oil companies switching to their summer mix

That happened back in April. Should see peak summer prices in a few weeks, barring any unforseen occurances.

PPHSfan
05-11-2011, 07:58 AM
I figure I can just buy your used Prius!

You must have me cofused with someone else. The smallest car in my garage has a V-6 in it and shows 160 on the speedometer.

Sweetwater Red
05-11-2011, 08:20 AM

That doesn't surprise me. I guess I need to watch MythBusters more often.

WildTexan972
05-11-2011, 11:04 AM

the AC does not impact how many rpms your engine revs based on the speed you travel....in my truck dropping from 70 to 65 saves 4000 rpms....which is 4000 times less a minute that fuel is not spewed in the cylinder to be burnt up....the AC does not impact your motor by that amount ever.....

BwdLion73
05-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
the AC does not impact how many rpms your engine revs based on the speed you travel....in my truck dropping from 70 to 65 saves 4000 rpms....which is 4000 times less a minute that fuel is not spewed in the cylinder to be burnt up....the AC does not impact your motor by that amount ever.....

:eek: 4000 rpm should have you running about 115....;)

ctown
05-11-2011, 11:47 AM

Dude...4000 rpm for 5 mph drop. Is vehicle powered by a weedeater engine??

Reds fan
05-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Saw the same thing with my old 1990 Suburban back in college. Got right around 11 MPG with Wal-Mart gas, went up to 13.5 MPG when I switched over to Shell.

I've never seen a gas truck that realistically got 20 MPG on a consistent basis, even with all the exhaust and computer tuning in the world. I hear a bunch of friends brag about getting 20 MPG. Then look like they got junk-punched when they're turned into liars after clocking out at 15 or 16 MPG (even though their in-dash readout swears 18 MPG) after a tank.

Don't know much about those new Ford Ecotecs. Maybe they could crack 18 MPG. :thinking: I have a 2006 Chev crew cab 1500, I get 21 MPG traveling Interstate miles. The average mpg is 18.5 but I live in a rural area with little "city" driving. I do have a cargo cover and I believe that does help with mileage. These calculations are not from in dash readout. The in dash read out is usually 1-2 mpg higher.

Emerson1
05-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by ctown
Dude...4000 rpm for 5 mph drop. Is vehicle powered by a weedeater engine??
That is what I was thinking. In my 08 Silverado Ext Cab I am right under 2000 rpm going 70.

Originally posted by Reds fan
:thinking: I have a 2006 Chev crew cab 1500, I get 21 MPG traveling Interstate miles. The average mpg is 18.5 but I live in a rural area with little "city" driving. I do have a cargo cover and I believe that does help with mileage. These calculations are not from in dash readout. The in dash read out is usually 1-2 mpg higher.
How do you pull that off? I have an 08 ext cab and the highest I've ever gotten was 17 mpg. That was with 2 hours of cruising and 4 cylinders shut off. Guess my city driving was just so low it brought it down some.

Reds fan
05-11-2011, 12:55 PM
That is what I was thinking. In my 08 Silverado Ext Cab I am right under 2000 rpm going 70.

How do you pull that off? I have an 08 ext cab and the highest I've ever gotten was 17 mpg. That was with 2 hours of cruising and 4 cylinders shut off. Guess my city driving was just so low it brought it down some. City kills mileage for my truck, will bring average way down, like I said I don't do much in town at all.
One other thing I have found out, mpg goes up (about 1 mpg) for a while after an oil change, i think it's from lubing the wheels more than the oil change.
Another thing I've noticed, the 5.3 litre gets better mileage w/o using cruise control. This is really noticeable on highways with any hills at all. Foot must be steadier than cruise control is the only thing I can think of.

big daddy russ
05-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
City kills mileage for my truck, will bring average way down, like I said I don't do much in town at all.
One other thing I have found out, mpg goes up (about 1 mpg) for a while after an oil change, i think it's from lubing the wheels more than the oil change.
Another thing I've noticed, the 5.3 litre gets better mileage w/o using cruise control. This is really noticeable on highways with any hills at all. Foot must be steadier than cruise control is the only thing I can think of.
I've got the old 8-cyl 5.3L w/a 4-spd auto and also a heavier truck, so I could see getting better mileage on exclusively highway. But the best I've got on a flat plane from Houston to Corpitos was 18.7 going 60-65 MPH at night back in March (temps in low-60's). And that was filling up at the intersection of Hwy 6 and 59 and again as soon as I got to Ingleside, so it was as close to true "highway" as you can get.

Also, makes a huge difference driving 60 vs 70 MPH. Even bigger one going down to 55 MPH.

In town, I get a shade over 14 MPG. Combined (driving between the Katy area and Conroe), I'll break 16 MPG.

Thank God our Volvo S80 gets 31 MPG in that stretch.

Ernest T Bass
05-11-2011, 02:55 PM
I have a Ram 2500 with a 5.9L cummins and I usually average around 17 MPG. That's with a TON of stop and go traffic.

Farmersfan
05-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Lumps for what? I was just trying to start a conversation and got people jumping all over me, What happen to this being a fun place?

WElcome to my world!

I think it's because everyone is intimidated by our big brains. :D :D

Farmersfan
05-11-2011, 03:07 PM

You must drive one of those old B2000 trucks with the rotary engines that have had the governor removed to get that kind of RPM range. D :D :D

And I'm thinking the A/C drain on the engine comes from having to turn the compressor which robs some of the horsepower. The more resistance that is put on the motor the more fuel it will use to produce the power needed.

GrTigers6
05-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
WElcome to my world!

I think it's because everyone is intimidated by our big brains. :D :D Yeah but I was one of them, HOw did I get pushed to your side?
It was because I agreed with you once huh!
:D

Farmersfan
05-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Yeah but I was one of them, HOw did I get pushed to your side?
It was because I agreed with you once huh!
:D

Welcome to the dark (and smart) side!

GrTigers6
05-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Welcome to the dark (and smart) side! :helpme: :D

slingshot
05-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Here's one that will blow your mind... my 2008 Z06 Corvette (427 cid V-8, 505 hp, will top 200 mph if you have the cojones) got 29.7 mpg on my last hiway trip to Dallas. Cruise set on 72 mph... it gets 20-22 mpg full time average (mix of city and hiway).

Tx Challenge
05-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by slingshot
Here's one that will blow your mind... my 2008 Z06 Corvette (427 cid V-8, 505 hp, will top 200 mph if you have the cojones) got 29.7 mpg on my last hiway trip to Dallas. Cruise set on 72 mph... it gets 20-22 mpg full time average (mix of city and hiway).

I had an 04 Z06 and I always got around 28-29 on the road with it. Mine was the C5 and would haul, I bet the C6 is outright scary!

BwdLion73
05-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by slingshot

They keep getting better. Back in the day...:p before it started getting to be too much trouble getting in and out I had one of the first tuned port injected corvettes. It got 24 to 25 mpg. Most people did not believe me.