PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Use

Bullaholic
05-10-2011, 11:45 AM
What are your guidelines for cell phone/texting use? What do you consider rude or dangerous cell phone use?

Bullaholic
05-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
What are your guidelines for cell phone/texting use? What do you consider rude or dangerous cell phone use?

Well, Bull...I'm so glad you asked.....:D

GrTigers6
05-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Rude behavior to me would be someone who answers their phone while at a cash register and a clerk is trying to help them and they wont even acknowledge them until someone in line tells them to hang up the phone.

If its that important call them back in a few minutes so you dont hold up other people.
Dangerous is anytime driving, car motorcycle, Atv, or any vehicle for that matter, or apparently walking too:D

Or while your wife is talking to you:D

RoyceTTU
05-10-2011, 12:36 PM
I'll be honest, I'm am the worst and I am struggling breaking the habit of text/emailing while driving.

My thick head knows I shouldn't, but I still do. I would almost wish there was a Blackberry app that I could download that wouldn't let me.

Kinda the same subject, our 12 year old just finished up a sex-ed class at school, and my wife went the night before to the parents session to be prepared with the questions that might come about, and they put a big emphasis on sexting and things like that.

I'm only 30 years old and my times change quick

bolshavik
05-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Im tired of all this texting is dangerous rhetoric...Im sure it probably is but heck so is eating while driving, fiddling with the radio or ipod, PUTTING ON MAKE UP (see that daily on my drive in), kids in the back seat,scratching your foot, changing clothes etc.. But nooooooooooooo...All you here is texting or talking on cell is dangerous. I dont see ads on tv or digital signs on the road telling us that putting on make up causes accidents. Why do we waist our time with any of this? Just curious

Bullaholic
05-10-2011, 12:43 PM
My Cell No-No's:

1. Churches or funeral homes.

2. Anything you are operating that moves. I got an ear bud and use voice commands to dial if I just have to talk. No texting.

3. Any quiet public place.

4. Anytime I am in the company of others socially.

GrTigers6
05-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by bolshavik
Im tired of all this texting is dangerous rhetoric...Im sure it probably is but heck so is eating while driving, fiddling with the radio or ipod, PUTTING ON MAKE UP (see that daily on my drive in), kids in the back seat,scratching your foot, changing clothes etc.. But nooooooooooooo...All you here is texting or talking on cell is dangerous. I dont see ads on tv or digital signs on the road telling us that putting on make up causes accidents. Why do we waist our time with any of this? Just curious Texting while driving is extremely worse than eating or drinking while driving

bolshavik
05-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Texting while driving is extremely worse than eating or drinking while driving

show me the stats you have on that..Also, most people I know can text without ever looking at their phone.

But yeah...Bring up your stats on the texting thing

NastySlot
05-10-2011, 01:00 PM
show me the stats you have on that..Also, most people I know can text without ever looking at their phone.

But yeah...Bring up your stats on the texting thing

don't need stats.....don't have to take your eyes of the road to eat or drink...but to text you have to some...but to read a text without doubt you do.

bolshavik
05-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Ive seen people reading books or mags while driving, Also, women putting on mascara with their little drivers side sun shade down (with the mirror attatched to it.) Just watch as people drive. Yes, they are texting but they are doing ALL that other stuff too

Blastoderm55
05-10-2011, 01:11 PM
I've never been forced to swerve into another vehicle by someone eating a breakfast taco. I have been forced to swerve into another vehicle by someone texting.

Ranger Mom
05-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
don't need stats.....don't have to take your eyes of the road to eat or drink...but to text you have to some...but to read a text without doubt you do.

I agree!! Don't need the stats either, it's just common sense.

waterboy
05-10-2011, 01:25 PM
I know of two parents I know personally that have lost a child because they were texting and driving. That's proof enough for me to know that it is unsafe. That's not the only thing that is unsafe to do while driving, but it's the "new" thing that can get the texter, or another innocent person killed.

RoyceTTU
05-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Ive seen people reading books or mags while driving, Also, women putting on mascara with their little drivers side sun shade down (with the mirror attatched to it.) Just watch as people drive. Yes, they are texting but they are doing ALL that other stuff too

Nobody can argue your facts. Your correct than all these distractions are as bad as one another.

The fact your leaving out is percentage wise, more people text while drive, than put mascara than drive, reading, screamin kids etc......

If you have a limited budget to attack ongoing issues out there, get the best bang for your buck. Start with Texting since it's the most rampid.

Blastoderm55
05-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
Nobody can argue your facts. Your correct than all these distractions are as bad as one another.

The fact your leaving out is percentage wise, more people text while drive, than put mascara than drive, reading, screamin kids etc......

If you have a limited budget to attack ongoing issues out there, get the best bang for your buck. Start with Texting since it's the most rampid.

Plus, its rampant with young drivers who are just starting out. Couple the distraction with their inexperience and you have a pretty deadly combination.

Bullaholic
05-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Plus, its rampant with young drivers who are just starting out. Couple the distraction with their inexperience and you have a pretty deadly combination.

I agree, blast. Both of my kids had one relatively minor accident while they were at home, and both occurred within 6mos. of their receiving their licenses. That was before the cell phone, also.

RoyceTTU
05-10-2011, 01:45 PM

There is actually an IPHONE app that will disable the texting when traveling more than 10 MPH. I know there are logistical issues if you are the passenger, but if your talking about your kids lives maybe it's worth the hassel.

It really is a big problem out there and I'm as much to blame as anyone.

PPHSfan
05-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Rude: if I can hear your conversation in a public place for longer than it takes you to say "let me call you back", you are being rude. Period.

Stupid: operating anything that has moving parts while texting, reading, applying makeup, etc.

Silly: texting the person sitting ten feet from you.

MUSTANG69
05-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Rude and makes me irate. Using your cell phone in a restasurant. Turn it off while you are eating.:mad:

Blastoderm55
05-10-2011, 02:33 PM
What I hate is having people off the phone when they approve you, and during your transaction, they decide to make a call. Talk about rude. Sadly the adults are just as bad as the kids.

bolshavik
05-10-2011, 02:43 PM
I say if you have a wreck while texting and it was your fault you lose texting privaleges. Now, if you can text and never wreck then people need to hush.

Saggy Aggie
05-10-2011, 02:44 PM

4. Anytime I am in the company of others socially. This is the one that gets me. It's really annoying when a bunch of people are over and one person is busy texting instead of being social like everyone else.

GrTigers6
05-10-2011, 03:35 PM

But yeah...Bring up your stats on the texting thing My son nearly killed himself trying to text, lost control and hit tree. He has never even come close to running of the road whilke eating. Thats proof enough from me. Life is far more important than any TEXT message

NastySlot
05-10-2011, 03:42 PM

I ve seen people reading books it's amazing....but I think the problem has do with you ng drivers...I know they aren't the only ones to do it...but more likely to do it...texting that is.

GrTigers6
05-10-2011, 03:43 PM
I say if you have a wreck while texting and it was your fault you lose texting privaleges. Now, if you can text and never wreck then people need to hush. Problem with that crazy statement is that its not always you who suffers from someone texting and driving. Its just like driving while intoxicated you could hit someone else and kill them or ruin their life over a stupid text message that was probably not even important enough that couldnt wait a few minutes until you were stopped.

Apparently you are still in school orjust out and or dont have kids or you would understand the seriousness of this better.
Yes there are other things that dumb people do while driving that baffles me. For instance i saw a woman breastfeeding an infant going down I20 at 75 mph. And I wouldnt be suprised if she wasnt talking on the phone with her free hand.
But there are far less people that do those kind of things than there are that text while driving

NastySlot
05-10-2011, 03:45 PM
how about this for you old timers like me...we remember phone booths close the door have privacy right...then pay phone banks with multiple phones......people used to turn away from the phone next to them for privacy........now go anywhere and everywhere and people are just way too loud with their conversations....and don't have any concern with what they say or how loud they are....times have changed.

GrTigers6
05-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
how about this for you old timers like me...we remember phone booths close the door have privacy right...then pay phone banks with multiple phones......people used to turn away from the phone next to them for privacy........now go anywhere and everywhere and people are just way too loud with their conversations....and don't have any concern with what they say or how loud they are....times have changed. My wife is that way. I tell her " honey its a cell phone and not a paper cup with a string, you dont have to yell"
Of course it doesnt change nothing:)

BaseballUmp
05-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Drunk texting...bad idea guys

GrTigers6
05-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Drunk texting...bad idea guys Drunk Texting and Driving. Even worse:D

Ranger Mom
05-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan

Silly: texting the person sitting ten feet from you.

I disagree.....if you are in a crowded room (or maybe just the 2 of you) it can be extremely erotic!! Trust me!!;)

BaseballUmp
05-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I disagree.....if you are in a crowded room (or maybe just the 2 of you) it can be extremely erotic!! Trust me!!;)

So umm...when will you be getting into Austin? May have to hit up the track meet haha

bolshavik
05-10-2011, 04:03 PM

No doubt..lol..My wife and I are pro's at it and if our jobs found out what we text sometimes to each other they liable to fire us..lol..

bolshavik
05-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Saggy Aggie
This is the one that gets me. It's really annoying when a bunch of people are over and one person is busy texting instead of being social like everyone else.

Typical...Aint it always an aggie wanting everybody to be like everybody else..lol..

Ranger Mom
05-10-2011, 04:10 PM
No doubt..lol..My wife and I are pro's at it and if our jobs found out what we text sometimes to each other they liable to fire us..lol..

LOL!! I wouldn't get fired, but they would be totally and completely SHOCKED....as would my Mother!!!!:eek: :eek:

My hubby works in the middle of nowhere, so I have to be careful when he sends me something, my text and picture ring is the same. One time I opened a pic thinking it was a text......that would have been a hard one to explain!!! :devil: :devil: :p

bolshavik
05-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Problem with that crazy statement is that its not always you who suffers from someone texting and driving. Its just like driving while intoxicated you could hit someone else and kill them or ruin their life over a stupid text message that was probably not even important enough that couldnt wait a few minutes until you were stopped.

Apparently you are still in school orjust out and or dont have kids or you would understand the seriousness of this better.
Yes there are other things that dumb people do while driving that baffles me. For instance i saw a woman breastfeeding an infant going down I20 at 75 mph. And I wouldnt be suprised if she wasnt talking on the phone with her free hand.
But there are far less people that do those kind of things than there are that text while driving

Nope, I have kids and Im 40. Kids are 16,15,14,7 and all girls...

Now, this will drive ya crazy too...I think if you have a wreck while drinking/driving and injure another they arda throw the book at ya. HOWEVER, if you get pulled over for drinking and havent had a wreck you should not be charged for WHAT COULD OF HAPPENED. .08 is a money maker. When it was .1 they did not get enough funds for DWI so they set it at .08 and BINGO it is a money maker...Now, understand I say throw the book at people that wreck and kill innocent people but im talking about getting pulled over and losing your job etc.. for what MIGHT of happened. It is ridiculous.

bolshavik
05-10-2011, 04:14 PM
LOL!! I wouldn't get fired, but they would be totally and completely SHOCKED....as would my Mother!!!!:eek: :eek:

My hubby works in the middle of nowhere, so I have to be careful when he sends me something, my text and picture ring is the same. One time I opened a pic thinking it was a text......that would have been a hard one to explain!!! :devil: :devil: :p

Im with ya..lol... we are the same..I knew I liked you :)

wife and I love SEXTING...It is what cool people do :)

Bullaholic

Ummmmm...ain't this kinda like watching the same movie for the 1000th time, RM.....:D

Blastoderm55

Now, this will drive ya crazy too...I think if you have a wreck while drinking/driving and injure another they arda throw the book at ya. HOWEVER, if you get pulled over for drinking and havent had a wreck you should not be charged for WHAT COULD OF HAPPENED. .08 is a money maker. When it was 1.0 they did not get enough funds for DWI so they set it at .08 and BINGO it is a money maker...Now, understand I say throw the book at people that wreck and kill innocent people but im talking about getting pulled over and losing your job etc.. for what MIGHT of happened. It is ridiculous.

Not an argument, but would a 1.0 BAC mean your blood is completely alcohol? Wow! :D

waterboy
05-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Not an argument, but would a 1.0 BAC mean your blood is completely alcohol? Wow! :D
:doh: :clap: :D Yep, you caught that, too....:D

Ranger Mom
05-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Im with ya..lol... we are the same..I knew I liked you :)

wife and I love SEXTING...It is what cool people do :)

What's funny is up until a year or so ago, he had absolutely no interest in texting. He found out that when he didn't have any service down there, he could still text....that is the only reason he learned how to do it.

I sent him a "dirty text" one day, just to see what his reaction would be.....needless to say,
I have created a monster!!!!!:D

Blastoderm55
05-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Tough to do with a smart phone. With my wife's iPhone, the texts pop up on the screen automatically. She usually has her phone on her desk. I imagine it wouldn't blow over well if one of her students or her boss saw a naughty message on the screen. Guess that's why you shouldn't have your phone within view in the first place. :p

PPHSfan
05-10-2011, 04:29 PM
I say if you have a wreck while texting and it was your fault you lose texting privaleges. Now, if you can text and never wreck then people need to hush.

You're an idiot.

There, I said it.

Bullaholic
05-10-2011, 04:31 PM
You're an idiot.

There, I said it.

LOL---I guessed wrong again---I was sure you would jump all over RM's post....:D

bolshavik
05-10-2011, 04:38 PM
You're an idiot.

There, I said it.

You are boring and I can whoop ya

BEAST
05-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Tough to do with a smart phone. With my wife's iPhone, the texts pop up on the screen automatically. She usually has her phone on her desk. I imagine it wouldn't blow over well if one of her students or her boss saw a naughty message on the screen. Guess that's why you shouldn't have your phone within view in the first place. :p

I have an Iphone as well. You can fix it to where when you get a text all it says is Text Message and the senders name under it.

BEAST

Blastoderm55
05-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
I have an Iphone as well. You can fix it to where when you get a text all it says is Text Message and the senders name under it.

BEAST

Cool. I don't think she'll need it though. The dirtiest texts I send her are when I brag about my experiences on the toilet. :D

Ranger Mom
05-10-2011, 05:49 PM
LOL---I guessed wrong again---I was sure you would jump all over RM's post....:D

He knows me....I'm sure he wasn't the least bit surprised.

PPHSfan
05-10-2011, 05:51 PM

This.

Plus, you can only listen to an IDIOT for so long.

Bullaholic
05-10-2011, 05:57 PM

Heh, heh...When G2 and PPHSFan text each other, it's called "evidence"...:D

What all did you guys talk about on that New Orleans trip?

coach
05-10-2011, 06:05 PM
I hate when you are stuck behind someone going about 8 mph and when you finally pass them you see they are on the damned phone....get off the phone of get off the road. Pick One!

GrTigers6
05-10-2011, 06:38 PM
What's funny is up until a year or so ago, he had absolutely no interest in texting. He found out that when he didn't have any service down there, he could still text....that is the only reason he learned how to do it.

I sent him a "dirty text" one day, just to see what his reaction would be.....needless to say,
I have created a monster!!!!!:D The real problem here is sexting and driving. That will cause some problems, and it doesnt matter if you are the sender or the recipient.:D

GrTigers6
05-10-2011, 06:44 PM

Now, this will drive ya crazy too...I think if you have a wreck while drinking/driving and injure another they arda throw the book at ya. HOWEVER, if you get pulled over for drinking and havent had a wreck you should not be charged for WHAT COULD OF HAPPENED. .08 is a money maker. When it was .1 they did not get enough funds for DWI so they set it at .08 and BINGO it is a money maker...Now, understand I say throw the book at people that wreck and kill innocent people but im talking about getting pulled over and losing your job etc.. for what MIGHT of happened. It is ridiculous. I understand that, I believe you should be able to talk on a phone while drivind. If you cant then you probably shouldnt be driving in the first place.

My biggest problem with the texting is getting these kids to understand how dangerous it really is.

Oh and sorry for the stereotype:doh:

GrTigers6
05-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by coach
I hate when you are stuck behind someone going about 8 mph and when you finally pass them you see they are on the damned phone....get off the phone of get off the road. Pick One! or you try to pass them and they speed up when they realize it only to slow down again. :rolleyes:

Ranger Mom
05-11-2011, 08:35 AM

What all did you guys talk about on that New Orleans trip?

LOL!! Nothing at all having to do with anything in this thread.

slingshot
05-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Here's a good one... I'm a family practice doc--many times I've been seeing a patient and their phone will ring, followed by a "Let me get this". I just quietly get up and go to the door and tell them I'll be back in a sec... I'll go see 3-4 other patients and about an hour later I come back in. Most of them get the message. :D

bolshavik
05-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by slingshot
Here's a good one... I'm a family practice doc--many times I've been seeing a patient and their phone will ring, followed by a "Let me get this". I just quietly get up and go to the door and tell them I'll be back in a sec... I'll go see 3-4 other patients and about an hour later I come back in. Most of them get the message. :D

Maybe they are doing that to you because you cant FRICKIN KEEP APPOINTMENT TIMES...If you have a 9am Dr. appointment and they actually see you at 10:15...Huh, ever thought of that???

LH Panther Mom
05-12-2011, 08:20 PM
I have created a monster!!!!!:D
Was it the "thighs" one? :evillol: