PDA

View Full Version : Bad Fan and Coach Behavior at Youth Baseball Games

Bullaholic
05-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Why is it youth baseball seems to be plagued by bad coach/fan behavior at some games?

Lastnight at my grandson's 12yo game, the ump threatened the opposing coach with ejection if he did not be quiet. Later, some fans began to yell at the ump so much that he stopped the game and warned the stands, and then had to eject a fan later. The opposing coach was so frustrated that he left the game on his own.

Is this just a part of baseball since it goes on so much? In MLB, I remember the Billy Martin manager days when he used to kick dirt on the umps when he was mad about a call. I've seen times when I thought Lou Pinella would have a stroke arguing calls.

Yoe_09
05-10-2011, 10:45 AM
I was at a HS game the other day and in between JV and varsity games I went over to the little league field and noticed quite a bit of this. When it comes to your local youth baseball leagues you have to remember a lot of these fans are probably not the most intelligent about baseball.

ccmom
05-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Yoe_09
I was at a HS game the other day and in between JV and varsity games I went over to the little league field and noticed quite a bit of this. When it comes to your local youth baseball leagues you have to remember a lot of these fans are probably not the most intelligent about baseball.

Haha...well, I have noticed the exact opposite to be true. Fellas who have a vast knowledge of the game, and in some cases professional coaching experience, getting their butts tossed out of little league games. :eek: There is never a shortage of drama at the ballpark. ;)

waterboy
05-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Nope, there never is a lack of drama at the youth ballparks.:D Some of the parents are overbearing on their kids, and think they know more than the coaches. It makes it hard sometimes to coach a kid when their parent tries to tell them to do something differently. I've seen parents that curse at their kids, holler at their kids while the play is live, among other things. It's really sad sometimes, and frustrating as a coach. Sometimes you actually have to tell the parents to shut up.

Now, about umpires......you have to keep in mind that most of them at this level are at this level for a reason. They are either volunteering, or trying to make a little money on the side. They are by no means professional umpires. They do make some bad calls at times, and some even show favoritism. The part that gets me is when they do make a bad call they will not own up and say they made a mistake, even when it is obvious. There's always gonna be a whole lot of people playing umpire in the stands and on the field.:D

Emerson1
05-10-2011, 11:23 AM
I had a coach punch another coach one year I played little league. A couple years ago when I kept score at them I witness some people get ejected.

Rabid Cougar
05-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Nothing new. Been that way since I played many years ago.

Bullaholic
05-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
Nothing new. Been that way since I played many years ago.

True---that was my question... Why does this behavior seem to have been such a part of baseball for so long? Is this an expected and accepted part of the game?

RoyceTTU
05-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
True---that was my question... Why does this behavior seem to have been such a part of baseball for so long? Is this an expected and accepted part of the game?

Because it's your kids. When your kid is involved, emotions run high.

Classic Example is Shipleys vs. Iowa Park

You don't see as much is pros because you don't typically have a relationship with those that are playing.

Red Bull
05-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Behavior at Little League and youth baseball in general is a disease. For some reason it just brings out the worst in coaches, parents and umpires. The funny thing is that it is not normally the kids. That ought to tell everyone one a little something. That something is that the parents, coaches and umpires take it all a little too serious. Everyone needs to check their own egos in at the gate and let the kids play. Then things will change. If not, then it will go on like it has for years and years.

Bullaholic
05-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
Because it's your kids. When your kid is involved, emotions run high.

Classic Example is Shipleys vs. Iowa Park

You don't see as much is pros because you don't typically have a relationship with those that are playing.

I agree that parents will defend their kids, but why to the degree that it is done in baseball? IMO, it is because the ump is not separated from the crowd that far and can see and hear almost everything said or done by the fans, players, or coaches. Plus, the stands can hear and see each other very well also.

RoyceTTU
05-10-2011, 01:21 PM
I agree that parents will defend their kids, but why to the degree that it is done in baseball?

I don't think it's just baseball. I've seen some mom's in the stands of a football game that kid give MMA fighters a run for their money.

I just think it's parents in general in any situation not limited to only sports.

If I see a kid getting picked on at the park, I'll walk over and stop it and tell the other kids to run along. If I see my daughter getting picked on at the park, I'll impose the fear of wrath on anyone who stands in my way.

See how it goes?

Add the fact that sports in it's own regard is very emotional, it is the perfect storm.

NastySlot
05-10-2011, 01:28 PM
I think basketball...and baseball...all levels are pretty close.

too many fools in the stands........my belief parents should be seen not heard..........leave the coaches, officials and most of all the kids alone and let them play.

waterboy
05-10-2011, 01:30 PM
I don't think it's just baseball. I'm seen some mom's in the stands of a football game that kid give MMA fighters a run for their money.

I just think it's parents in general in any situation not limited to only sports.

If I see a kid getting picked on at the park, I'll walk over and stop it and tell the other kids to run along. If I see my daughter getting picked on at the park, I'll impose the fear of wrath on anyone who stands in my way.

See how it goes?

Add the fact that sports in it's own regard is very emotional, it is the perfect storm.
You nailed it, Royce. Parents nowadays lack the discipline that we had as youngsters, and that lack of discipline is passed on to the next generation---kids. Our parents would let other parents whip us if we needed it, and then we would get another whipping when we got home if it warranted it. Nowadays it's almost impossible to straighten out a kid with an attitude problem without getting into it with the parents.

NastySlot
05-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
You nailed it, Royce. Parents nowadays lack the discipline that we had as youngsters, and that lack of discipline is passed on to the next generation---kids. Our parents would let other parents whip us if we needed it, and then we would get another whipping when we got home if it warranted it. Nowadays it's almost impossible to straighten out a kid with an attitude problem without getting into it with the parents.

and guess what the problem carries over into the classrooms too.

greendawg84
05-10-2011, 01:34 PM
I have 3 boys , one on Varsity , middle plays 14 U , and a coach pitch one, agree all of the parents seem to get a little carried away.

2 of the 3 play select ball , so we have watched just a few games in our days.

Seems that the parents of only child or first child seem to be the worst. I was harder on my first also , but learned that I really needed to keep my mouth shut and let him play and learn from the coach that I was paying to teach him .

Most , not all , umpires will make a bad call , most will give it back to you if your fans have the power to keep their comments to themselves.

The biggest thing to remember is that your kid is playing , NOT YOU , let them have fun and not have to worry about their Mom or Dad making a fool out of themselves in front of their team mates. If they have fun they will stick with it , and it is a great tool to keep them out of trouble and focused.

Several people in the past have ask me , is your son D1 , nope , they why do you spend all that money on select ball then . Answer ..... go check to see what it cost to get them out of jail.

Playing ball I am always there and know what he is doing.

Worth every dollar I ever spent!

Txbroadcaster
05-10-2011, 01:38 PM

I grew up playing little league in the 80's and saw MANY parents act a fool in baseball, soccer, basketball and football little league games..My dad tells some great stories when he played little league in the 50's one being a parent chasing a coach out of the park with a bat..It is not generational, it is parents just getting plain stupid when it comes to their kids being involved

Bullaholic
05-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Sure like some of the replies I am reading---I'm right there with you---another "old school dinosaur"....:D

I have nothing but admiration for all those who serve kid's athletics by officiating, but I especially appreciate knowledgable, firm, and fair officials, and usually thank them for their services, win or lose, after games.

nobogey72
05-10-2011, 01:52 PM
I think part of it is that every dad and some moms are experts on baseball. The dads all played LL and are therefore experts and some that might even have played in HS by all means know more than anyone about all things baseball. I think also that in youth sports parents (myself included) start paying attention to how their kids stack up against other kids, and it seems the least little thing or person that they see as a roadblock brings them into a rage. Also, we all are guilty of thinking that how they stack up at an early age automatically translates into how they will always stack up. I've always said to not judge someone SOLELY by how they act at the LL ballpark because it seems to bring out the absolute worst in lots of people. But, sometimes I wonder if how they act at the LL part is really their true colors coming out.:thinking:

waterboy
05-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I grew up playing little league in the 80's and saw MANY parents act a fool in baseball, soccer, basketball and football little league games..My dad tells some great stories when he played little league in the 50's one being a parent chasing a coach out of the park with a bat..It is not generational, it is parents just getting plain stupid when it comes to their kids being involved
While there have always been instances such as those you speak of, it is more prevalent today than it was then, in my opinion. The attitudes of a lot of the kids today reflect that, too. At least then it wasn't unusual for a kid to be straightened out in front of everybody if his attitude warranted it. Now, kids are allowed a lot more leeway than they should. I see it first hand everytime we practice, and at every game. There's absolutely NO WAY I would put up with my child talking back to me or her mother the way these kids are allowed. I don't remember kids getting away with that when I was growing up either. There's always been parents that act foolish, but it's more prevalent today than it ever was in the past.

ccmom
05-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
I think part of it is that every dad and some moms are experts on baseball. The dads all played LL and are therefore experts and some that might even have played in HS by all means know more than anyone about all things baseball. I think also that in youth sports parents (myself included) start paying attention to how their kids stack up against other kids, and it seems the least little thing or person that they see as a roadblock brings them into a rage. Also, we all are guilty of thinking that how they stack up at an early age automatically translates into how they will always stack up. I've always said to not judge someone SOLELY by how they act at the LL ballpark because it seems to bring out the absolute worst in lots of people. But, sometimes I wonder if how they act at the LL part is really their true colors coming out.:thinking:

Just don't insult my bicycle shorts or my kid and we will get along just fine!;) :D

RoyceTTU
05-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72

NoBogey at the ballpark last weekend :D :D

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/bnb3_1091484265.jpg

RoyceTTU
05-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Kinda of a spin to the discussion.

Some of my worst moments as a kid was while playing baseball.

Examples
1. shoved a kid at 2nd base for sliding in hard to break up the play. Yielded an ejection
2. Chased a teamate into the outfield and repeatedly punched him for making fun of me for an error at practice. Yielded an @ss whopping at home.
3. Tagged a player pretty hard(got caught up in the moment of making the play), opposing coach told me to never hit his player again, I told him to F-off. Yielded and ejection and an @ss whopping at home.

None of these were my brightest moments and none define me, but the emotion of all 3 got the best of me. I was less than 12 in all cases. Kids are just as bad.

Bullaholic
05-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Kinda of a spin to the discussion.

Some of my worst moments as a kid was while playing baseball.

Examples
1. shoved a kid at 2nd base for sliding in hard to break up the play. Yielded an ejection
2. Chased a teamate into the outfield and repeatedly punched him for making fun of me for an error at practice. Yielded an @ss whopping at home.
3. Tagged a player pretty hard(got caught up in the moment of making the play), opposing coach told me to never hit his player again, I told him to F-off. Yielded and ejection and an @ss whopping at home.

None of these were my brightest moments and none define me, but the emotion of all 3 got the best of me. I was less than 12 in all cases. Kids are just as bad.

But did you ever twist any ankles in pileups, Royce? :D

Txbroadcaster
05-10-2011, 02:07 PM
. There's always been parents that act foolish, but it's more prevalent today than it ever was in the past.

I just think IMO that is a case of back in the day things were better syndrome.

eagles_victory
05-10-2011, 02:10 PM
I just think IMO that is a case of back in the day things were better syndrome. Yea that is a disease that has infected this place everything was always better back in the day.

eagles_victory
05-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
Just don't insult my bicycle shorts or my kid and we will get along just fine!;) :D or your cooking

RoyceTTU
05-10-2011, 02:11 PM
But did you ever twist any ankles in pileups, Royce? :D

No, we are taught to kick them off of us :D

Bullaholic
05-10-2011, 02:21 PM
I just think IMO that is a case of back in the day things were better syndrome.

SOME of us have lived in BOTH times, sonny.....:D

waterboy
05-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Amen! :clap: :D Me, too! When he gets around the big 5-0 he will understand.............:thinking: .......maybe!:D

ccmom
05-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
or your cooking

That's right!! :mad: :eek: :mad:

Txbroadcaster
05-10-2011, 02:29 PM

lol and I have lived in many generations now as well..I just dont think the old everything back in the day was better argument is valid..again just my view

Bullaholic
05-10-2011, 02:44 PM
lol and I have lived in many generations now as well..I just dont think the old everything back in the day was better argument is valid..again just my view

I think the more accurate statement in the view of us "old" folks is "More things were respected back in the day."----including us old people. I am 63yo and there are still older folks I address as "sir" or "ma'am" and "Mr." and "Miss/Mrs."

waterboy
05-10-2011, 02:50 PM
I think the more accurate statement in the view of us "old" folks is "More things were respected back in the day."----including us old people. I am 63yo and there are still older folks I address as "sir" or "ma'am" and "Mr." and "Miss/Mrs."
Absolutely the same for me, and I will only be turning 50 this year. My mother and daddy would've slapped me silly if I didn't address my elders with "sir" or "ma'am". I'm instilling that same respect into my kids. I won't "slap" them, but I will certainly address it on the spot in no uncertain terms. Today, it's not like that anymore. Apparently that stopped around the '80s, judging by some of the posters on here.....:D

Txbroadcaster
05-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Absolutely the same for me, and I will only be turning 50 this year. My mother and daddy would've slapped me silly if I didn't address my elders with "sir" or "ma'am". I'm instilling that same respect into my kids. I won't "slap" them, but I will certainly address it on the spot in no uncertain terms. Today, it's not like that anymore. Apparently that stopped around the '80s, judging by some of the posters on here.....:D

my daughter addresses everyone older than her with proper respect and almost everyone of her friends I have met do the exact same thing( to the point I feel so very old when around them lol)

waterboy
05-10-2011, 02:57 PM
my daughter addresses everyone older than her with proper respect and almost everyone of her friends I have met do the exact same thing( to the point I feel so very old when around them lol)
If you're older than 20, you ARE old. At least in their eyes you are. The older you get the more changes you'll see. It's just a fact of life. Attitudes change, people change, the whole perspective changes. You will definitely see what us "old folks" are talking about when you get there.:D

Cam
05-10-2011, 03:08 PM
The day I almost died.......Well, here's my horror story on fans. Happened in Mesquite while coaching my 5 year old's soccer team. After one of our games everyone was shaking hands at midfield, I was suddenly approached by a gynormous dude. (bout 6'5" 250 lbs. and no body fat!) First words out of his mouth were, "Are you the coach?". I replied with a yes sir and a smile. Then all hell broke loose! He started accusing me of teaching my kids to play dirty!! Called me every name in the book...well almost...Anyway, I tried to reason with him and told him I barely had enough time to teach a 5 year old how to dribble & kick a ball much less teach them how to play dirty..(this guy's kid had taken an accidental elbow to the face early in the game). His wife (and other parents) got him off my back and all was well again..or at least I thought! As I was taking down the nets for the day all of a sudden this dude shows up behind me and all I hear is a "mother..f'er" and some other mumblings...He was on me again...I had finally had enough after the momma comment so I got right in his face and said, " What is it you want? Do you want to kick my ass? Let's go. I'll give you the first shot." To my surprise, he took a step backwards. (I'm thinkin', thank God he's a bluffer!) His wife gets in front of me and pleads with me to stop. She explains to me that she had some sort of heart condition and can't take the stress....The coach of this guys kids team saw what was happening and came running. Grabbed the troublemaker and tried to calm him down. It looked like it was finally over...then my older sister came in from out of nowhere trying to continue the peacemaking by saying, "Guys, guys, it's just a game." That comment for some reason enraged the wife with the so-called heart condition!!! So she starts getting into my sisters face and calling her names...other people stepped in and escorted the couple away....never saw them again......but I quit coaching shortly after that...at least for awhile...I look back at that incident and wonder how the tag team of my sister and I would've fared against that husband and wife team. Now, me being only 6'1" & 200lbs., I might have been in trouble with this monster....but my sister, now that's a different story....if that other gal didn't have a heart condition, she would've developed one with the pounding my sis would've administered......
More people need to listen to old rock band "Triumph"...with a lyric that says, "It's just a game, and all I can do is play"........

Bullaholic
05-10-2011, 03:18 PM
One last comment from me on the "old" thing...I don't dislike young people in general, just the ones nobody---young or old---would like. Young people are beautiful in mind and spirit and usually uplifiting and entertaining to be around because they are so wide-eyed and passionately full of fun and life.

I expect young people to give me a hard time about clinging to the "good old days" and hope that I can continue to do my part to insure that their "old days" will be as good as mine were---with maybe allowing me to offer up a few "course corrections" now and then.

RMAC
05-10-2011, 04:31 PM
I ended a 6 year umpiring career a few years back. I can honestly say it was because of the coaches and parents. It was my favorite job I've ever had. I mean, really, getting PAID to watch baseball in it's purest form? Sign me up!! One day I hope these parents and coaches will realize that their kids aren't the next Nolan Ryan or A-Rod, and there's about a 1 in a million chance that they will be. Unfortunately, because of the idea that everybody wins and there can't be any losers, this will never happen. When I was a kid, all I wanted to do was play the game. It never mattered to me whether we won or lost. All I wanted was a longer season. 21 games was never enough for me.

Bullaholic
05-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
I ended a 6 year umpiring career a few years back. I can honestly say it was because of the coaches and parents. It was my favorite job I've ever had. I mean, really, getting PAID to watch baseball in it's purest form? Sign me up!! One day I hope these parents and coaches will realize that their kids aren't the next Nolan Ryan or A-Rod, and there's about a 1 in a million chance that they will be. Unfortunately, because of the idea that everybody wins and there can't be any losers, this will never happen. When I was a kid, all I wanted to do was play the game. It never mattered to me whether we won or lost. All I wanted was a longer season. 21 games was never enough for me.

RMAC, this is exactly why they are having a harder and harder time getting people to offciate. I have been at a couple of games that the officiating crew either had to work the game short handed, or the game was delayed until officials could be rounded up.

957tiger
05-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Little League baseball has a rule book a half inch thick. Your typical 12 y/o has never even seen a rule book. The coach has read (or should have) the entire book. The umpires have attended an umpire clinic (good ideal) and are expected to know the rules. The average fans knows very little in regards to the rule book. Herein lies the problem. when one coach studies the rule book and the other didn't and a controversal play happens and the umpire has to settle it, you can have a problem. According to the LL rule book you have to follow each and every rule to the letter, or use rule 9.01C to settle all problems. To many RULES. Let the kids play yard ball they usually can settle most disagreements without the help of adults or resort to rock, paper sissors to settle a dispute.

rangerjim60
05-11-2011, 10:31 AM
I have umped rec softball for 5 years and high school this past year. Like RMAC, I would volunteer but they pay me a little to have the best seat in the house. I live in and ump in Bullaholic's area and have to say theres something in the water in some towns while a town 5 miles away is great. You hear everything from the fans and just have to smile sometimes. The best part is while fans are chewing my arse on a ball call, the 12 year old catcher asks me "where was the ball blue?" - i answer "a little high" - catcher says "thank you sir, and tells the pitcher to bring it down a little". Makes it so much easier to drown out the fans who know it all.

Bullaholic
05-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by rangerjim60
I have umped rec softball for 5 years and high school this past year. Like RMAC, I would volunteer but they pay me a little to have the best seat in the house. I live in and ump in Bullaholic's area and have to say theres something in the water in some towns while a town 5 miles away is great. You hear everything from the fans and just have to smile sometimes. The best part is while fans are chewing my arse on a ball call, the 12 year old catcher asks me "where was the ball blue?" - i answer "a little high" - catcher says "thank you sir, and tells the pitcher to bring it down a little". Makes it so much easier to drown out the fans who know it all.

And a big thanks for all you do, rangerjim. Things do vary town to town and I'm sure we are both well familiar with which ones are the ones that are famous for ump abuse.