PDA

View Full Version : Shish kabob

Bullaholic
05-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Shish Kabob has to be one of the quickest and best things you can grill. Did some steak and chicken kabobs yesterday---soaked the meat about 2-3 hours in Kikoman Teriaki sauce and put the meat, mushrooms, green pepper, onion, and pineapple on the skewers--cooked about 5-6 min on a side. Absolutely tender, juicy, and delicious.

Roughneck93
05-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Did some myself a couple of weeks ago. I like putting squash and avocado on mine along with some of the items you mentioned.

Bullaholic
05-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Roughneck93
Did some myself a couple of weeks ago. I like putting squash and avocado on mine along with some of the items you mentioned.

Yep--do shrimp wrapped in bacon and jalapenos sometimes, too.

Blastoderm55
05-09-2011, 04:24 PM
I've been wanting to grill up some kabobs for a while now? I've heard arguments for both wood and metals skewers. Which do you suggest?

Roughneck93
05-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Yep--do shrimp wrapped in bacon and jalapenos sometimes, too.

Yes sir, can never do enough of those. This weekend, crawfish boil.

Bullaholic
05-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
I've been wanting to grill up some kabobs for a while now? I've heard arguments for both wood and metals skewers. Which do you suggest?

Metal are usually longer, chunks slide down easier, and do not burn up. Wooden skewers will burn if you don't soak them in water a day or two before use.

I'm looking for a kabob rack, kind of like a fish rack, where you can clamp all the kabobs down and turn the whole rack instead of the individual kabobs.

Roughneck93
05-09-2011, 04:32 PM
I use metal as well.

Blastoderm55
05-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Metal are usually longer, chunks slide down easier, and do not burn up. Wooden skewers will burn if you don't soak them in water a day or two before use.

I'm looking for a kabob rack, kind of like a fish rack, where you can clamp all the kabobs down and turn the whole rack instead of the individual kabobs.

I've seen something like that. The skewers, I think five of them, are connected at the end so that the contraption resembles a huge fork. Think it was at Sears I saw that.

Bullaholic
05-09-2011, 04:48 PM
I've seen something like that. The skewers, I think five of them, are connected at the end so that the contraption resembles a huge fork. Think it was at Sears I saw that.

That's probably it, blast. Thanks. I've seen some rotisserie attachments that will do kabobs, also, but I prefer the direct-on-grill method. I usually do at least 16 kabobs at a time.

LH Panther Mom
05-09-2011, 09:29 PM
We have a rack.

Question - do you put potatoes on yours? Any idea on how to get them to not be crunch? Two of our boys aren't real big on most kabobish veggies, so we added fingerling potatoes. :(

Roughneck93
05-09-2011, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
We have a rack.

Question - do you put potatoes on yours? Any idea on how to get them to not be crunch? Two of our boys aren't real big on most kabobish veggies, so we added fingerling potatoes. :(

I boil my potatoes before hand until they are tender. Season them then place them on the skewers and brush with oil as they are grilling. End up nice and tender.

coach
05-09-2011, 09:44 PM
i got a new grill as a wedding present and i can't wait to use it!

SintonFan
05-10-2011, 11:46 AM

I had one of these Bulla:
Chicken cooker (http://www.smokymtbarbecue.com/store/BBQ26S_BBQ_Pit-pid-67-5.html)
http://www.smokymtbarbecue.com/avactis/avactis-images/BBQ26S-BBQ-Pit_2.jpg
Worked great for all meats and kabobs.
I bought mine for $40 at one of those roving tool sales. It might have been Homier or Cummings tools.
Great for ribs, hamburgers... just about everything. I used to cook 15-18 pounds of leg quarters at a time, when we had neighborhood get-togethers.