PDA

View Full Version : Who's the smartest darn person you've ever met?

Cam
05-09-2011, 01:39 PM
For me hands down...it has to be Jerry Merryman from my days at Texas Instruments. I had the honor of working for him. Jerry is the co-inventor of the calculator which I believe he and his two co-workers patented back in 1967. A brilliant and humble man who always pretended he didn't know the answer to anyone's question. A funny Jerry story: I once went to his home and I noticed this massive satellite dish in his backyard. So, I said something like, "Wow Jerry, you must pickup all kinds of channels with that thing?". Jerry smiled and said, "Actually, I'm using that dish for some radio astronomy experiments I'm working on"......OK,....I understand.....sometimes I think Jerry was an alien!!

Ranger Mom
05-09-2011, 01:46 PM
I would honestly have to say my dad!!

Ernest T Bass
05-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Well hell, me of course! :D

Gsquared
05-09-2011, 02:44 PM
Im going to be completely honest right now and tell you that my feelings are just a tad hurt that nobody mentioned my name in this thread.

pancho villa
05-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Pancho Villa just ask my wife or scrub c

Matthew328
05-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Black Magic w/o a doubt..the man's wisdom is beyond his years...sometimes when he has a thought I have to look away because he takes on the form of an angel..

95mustang
05-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Black Magic w/o a doubt..the man's wisdom is beyond his years...sometimes when he has a thought I have to look away because he takes on the form of an angel.. :fnypost:

garciap77
05-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Gsquared aka Ernest T Bass:D

bigwood33
05-09-2011, 04:45 PM
My mom's kid brother, James. He was valedictorian at Denison in 1969 (graduated with "Sully" Sullenburger of US Air flight 1549 fame), #1 in his class at A&M in '73, and #1 in his class at The University of Chicago Law School in '75. As a teenager, he read the Encyclopedia Britannica, yes all of them. He has/had perfect recall. He is now 60 years old and occasionally forgets something and that really bothers him. I was just laughing with my mom yesterday about it because he is now, for the 1st time in his life, kind of like the rest of us. His memory is still MUCH better than average but no longer perfect. Mom said that his IQ was 180+, back in the day. To be as brilliant as he is, he has always also been very well adjusted and cool. Many other extremely bright people that I have known have been gooberish but not my Uncle James. I count it a privilege to know him.

Cam
05-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
My mom's kid brother, James. He was valedictorian at Denison in 1969 (graduated with "Sully" Sullenburger of US Air flight 1549 fame), #1 in his class at A&M in '73, and #1 in his class at The University of Chicago Law School in '75. As a teenager, he read the Encyclopedia Britannica, yes all of them. He has/had perfect recall. He is now 60 years old and occasionally forgets something and that really bothers him. I was just laughing with my mom yesterday about it because he is now, for the 1st time in his life, kind of like the rest of us. His memory is still MUCH better than average but no longer perfect. Mom said that his IQ was 180+, back in the day. To be as brilliant as he is, he has always also been very well adjusted and cool. Many other extremely bright people that I have known have been gooberish but not my Uncle James. I count it a privilege to know him.

Wow! sounds like an impressive dude! I once started reading the Britannica......gave up on "Aardvark"....:)

Old Tiger
05-09-2011, 05:55 PM
You may not know it or agree with me but I say myself. My intellect and knowledge is so far advanced for commoners to understand.

bobcat1
05-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
You may not know it or agree with me but I say myself. My intellect and knowledge is so far advanced for commoners to understand. :spitlol: :fnypost:

I've never actually met him but DDBooger is pretty dang smart on wordly things. ;) :p

bigwood33
05-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
You may not know it or agree with me but I say myself. My intellect and knowledge is so far advanced for commoners to understand.
Yes, I agree, and that 2nd sentence makes no sense:D

sinton66
05-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
:spitlol: :fnypost:

I've never actually met him but DDBooger is pretty dang smart on wordly things. ;) :p

Worldly or wordy?:D

bobcat1
05-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Worldly or wordy?:D I stand corrected. ;)

Ernest T Bass
05-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Gsquared aka Ernest T Bass:D

You're half right.

Sweetwater Red
05-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1

I've never actually met him but DDBooger is pretty dang smart on wordly things.

He gets my vote as far as posters go and I've met him. He doesn't have as much to say in person
though. He sat with p4s and me as we watched all the SC games at Cowboy Stadium that
Friday and Saturday and he barely talked.

LH Panther Mom
05-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Cam
For me hands down...it has to be Jerry Merryman from my days at Texas Instruments. I had the honor of working for him. Jerry is the co-inventor of the calculator which I believe he and his two co-workers patented back in 1967. A brilliant and humble man who always pretended he didn't know the answer to anyone's question. A funny Jerry story: I once went to his home and I noticed this massive satellite dish in his backyard. So, I said something like, "Wow Jerry, you must pickup all kinds of channels with that thing?". Jerry smiled and said, "Actually, I'm using that dish for some radio astronomy experiments I'm working on"......OK,....I understand.....sometimes I think Jerry was an alien!!
What TI plant?

XMan
05-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Redheaded guy from Austin County.

Roc96
05-10-2011, 09:23 AM
I think the rule should be clearly stated that, if you're on these boards, you CAN NOT POSSIBLY BE the smartest person you've ever met.

Cam
05-10-2011, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
What TI plant?

Well, I pretty much worked in all of them. But with Jerry it was the North Bldg. on Central/635 (main sight)

Cam
05-10-2011, 09:41 AM
oops

Cam
05-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Roc96
I think the rule should be clearly stated that, if you're on these boards, you CAN NOT POSSIBLY BE the smartest person you've ever met.

well put.....

LeonJr
05-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Leon Sr.

GrTigers6
05-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Well I would have to say my Wife is the smartest person I have ever met.
I mean after all she did marry me, didnt she?
:D :D

RoyceTTU
05-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Well I would have to say my Wife is the smartest person I have ever met.
I mean after all she did marry me, didnt she?
:D :D

Are you sure you didn't marry up :p

She might of settled for you :p

j/K:D :D

GrTigers6
05-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
Are you sure you didn't marry up :p

She might of settled for you :p

j/K:D :D She definetly married down :D Every year we stay together I ask her why she is still here and every year she says, I dont know. :thinking:
She is pretty smart however, despite marrying me:D

GreenMonster
05-10-2011, 12:45 PM
The one, the ony, the great Rickadamus hs football guru and prognosticator extraordinaire! :D

teetle
05-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Jimmie bes the smartestes person that I knows. This be offs the subject but I needs to knows. Whats bes a Firkin? I donts knows alls the lingos. I believes someones is trying to pulls me?:D :eek: :eek: :D

bigwood33
05-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by teetle
Jimmie bes the smartestes person that I knows. This be offs the subject but I needs to knows. Whats bes a Firkin? I donts knows alls the lingos. I believes someones is trying to pulls me?:D :eek: :eek: :D
Hey teetle! It's good to hear from you.

big daddy russ
05-11-2011, 12:08 AM
My brother, stallion02. Easily the most interesting man I personally know.

He's classroom smart, too, but it's not just that. He sees things differently than those of us that make up the rest of the world. Can take a look at a problem or situation that baffles everyone else and put it together with very little effort.

Never made valedictorian, didn't graduate college with honors (he had other priorities), but he took O-Chem 4 as an ELECTIVE during his time at Texas A&M University and sports an IQ of 160.

He now tracks thinning populations of jaguars/ocelots/other big cats through the rainforests of Belize, thinning populations of foxes/coyotes/wolves in the mountains of Utah, and thinning populations of women who shave their legs in the hippiefied field of wildlife science.

Like I said, maybe the most interesting guy I've ever met. It's rare that an oldest sibling (me) looks up to their youngest (him), but I do. It's fun knowing him.

SintonFan
05-11-2011, 12:17 AM
Russ, that's pretty close to how I see my brother Patrick. :cool:

big daddy russ
05-11-2011, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Russ, that's pretty close to how I see my brother Patrick. :cool:
The funny thing about my little brother is that you'd never guess it. He doesn't flaunt it, never shows it, and has no pride in his intelligence. He won't correct anyone unless they want it or they're being a dick. I was kinda hesitant to post his IQ for all those reasons, but decided, "Screw it."

Perfect story...he roomed with his HS class' Salutitorian his freshman year at A&M. Cool guy, but he was still a little immature at that point in his life and was pretty proud. My bro, like usual, crept along with his B-average and didn't really care about much. His roomie always poked fun at my bro about that kind of stuff (and he genuinely believed the stuff that he said). At the end of their school year, I came up to look for apartments (I was moving up that summer) and the roommate was having some trouble with a pretty difficult problem on a take-home final or major paper or something.

I want to say it was physics or chemistry--I just know it was an honors science course--but the roommate kept refusing help. Later on, my bro was walking by the little desk area, glanced at the problem and kept walking. 30 seconds later, he shouted out the answer. The right answer. Did it all in his head.

By the way, he had never taken that course.

Daddy D 11
05-11-2011, 01:31 AM
My dad's a Mensa member. Does that count?

PPHSfan
05-11-2011, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
My dad's a Mensa member. Does that count?

No. I'm a MENSA member, and there are at least five people on THIS MESSAGE BOARD smarter than me.

nobogey72
05-11-2011, 03:24 PM
anybody remember G$$ ?