PDA

View Full Version : LAX a UIL sport?

Roughneck93
05-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Lacrosse garnering attention in the big cities. What do you guys think??

Here's a link. (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hso/7555353.html)

injuredinmelee
05-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Texas cant afford to keep its schools staffed with teachers and classroom sizes low enough to foster a good learning enviornment so why should we add another sport right now? Maybe this was addressed in the article that I chose not to read just my personal opinion.

injuredinmelee
05-08-2011, 04:07 PM
besides it would be just another sport for the schools football progams to support.

Roughneck93
05-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Texas cant afford to keep its schools staffed with teachers and classroom sizes low enough to foster a good learning enviornment so why should we add another sport right now? Maybe this was addressed in the article that I chose not to read just my personal opinion.

Agreed....as a matter of fact, the article does address this. Won't happen anytime soon.

coach
05-08-2011, 04:12 PM
i will watch colle lax on espnu ooccasionally. they get after it. they will hit the crap out of your ams with those damn sticks. i couldn't play. it would only take one time to get hit in the wrist with one of those things and i would be swinging for their heads. lol

Roughneck93
05-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by coach
i will watch colle lax on espnu ooccasionally. they get after it. they will hit the crap out of your ams with those damn sticks. i couldn't play. it would only take one time to get hit in the wrist with one of those things and i would be swinging for their heads. lol

LOl, I was thinking the same thing. One time is all it would take. They do get after one another though.

coach
05-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Roughneck93
LOl, I was thinking the same thing. One time is all it would take. They do get after one another though.

Today i waswatching a game and he wacked the hell out some guy and there was no call. Then he nudged him with his ellbow and got a penalty. I was like WTH?

Roughneck93
05-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Today i waswatching a game and he wacked the hell out some guy and there was no call. Then he nudged him with his ellbow and got a penalty. I was like WTH?

Long as you use the stick it's ok?? Heck, I don't know. But that seems like it should be the other way around.:thinking:

Ernest T Bass
05-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Right now, there's a bill sitting in the senate to allow part-time coaches to work at public schools(they already do this at private schools). That will be the answer to things like this. Coaches will no longer be full-time teachers.

coach
05-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Right now, there's a bill sitting in the senate to allow part-time coaches to work at public schools(they already do this at private schools). That will be the answer to things like this. Coaches will no longer be full-time teachers.

will they be getting paid the same amount? if so im sure coaches would love this since most HATE the classroom

Ernest T Bass
05-08-2011, 05:13 PM
will they be getting paid the same amount? if so im sure coaches would love this since most HATE the classroom

No, it'll be sitpend only positions with zero requirements. No college degree, no teaching certificate. They'll get the coaching stipend, or will be strictly volunteer. Basically, the equivilent of little league coaches.

coach
05-08-2011, 05:16 PM
No, it'll be sitpend only positions with zero requirements. No college degree, no teaching certificate. They'll get the coaching stipend, or will be strictly volunteer. Basically, the equivilent of little league coaches.

oic, they do this in other states as well...that will be great...we will have those "dads" come in and try and coach lol

big daddy russ
05-08-2011, 07:02 PM
I can't wait for my kids and my friends' kids to be coached by the guy who's trying to reclaim a part of his childhood that he never experienced. You can teach kids form tackling by being fired up 100% of the time and giving inspirational halftime speeches like they do in the movies, right?

DavidWooderson
05-08-2011, 10:25 PM
I think out of all sports to be added to UIL sports it would be LaCrosse. It's the oldest game in the U.S. History going back to the Pilgrim days and I'm kinda surprised that we don't already play it in Texas. It's fun sport, actually played intermural LAX in college.

PLUS with most schools that play football already having stadiums, it'd be an easy add to facilities.

Ernest T Bass
05-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by DavidWooderson
I think out of all sports to be added to UIL sports it would be LaCrosse. It's the oldest game in the U.S. History going back to the Pilgrim days and I'm kinda surprised that we don't already play it in Texas. It's fun sport, actually played intermural LAX in college.

PLUS with most schools that play football already having stadiums, it'd be an easy add to facilities.

It's just never been a popular sport in the south. But, with the large number of northern transplants moving into the DFW and Austin areas, it's growing in popularity. Probably a long way off from being a major sport, though.

Pmoney
05-08-2011, 10:56 PM
I play lacrosse in college for Tech and I think it should be added. Austin and Dallas are huge hot spots in the U.S. for lacrosse, while it is also growing in Houston and San Antonio. I didn't play in H.S. because well it wasn't offered in Snyder haha. But from talking to teammates who did play in HS for club teams, it has become more and more organized as the years have gone by. It is also a spring sport so it won't interfere with football. This will give kids another sport to enjoy. If you follow NCAA lacrosse, Texas has put plenty of starters on championship contending teams with a kind of unorganized club leagues. Some examples are Army Goalie Tom Palesky, Former Johns Hopkins Defender Josh Pico(won Nat. Title). I also played with a Long Stick Midfielder at UNT that would have gone to Towson if he didn't tear his ACL his senior year, and he would have been a starter without a doubt. With the help of the UIL, lacrosse could become another sport Texas dominates in recruits.

coach
05-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by DavidWooderson

thats not completely true......the oldest is baseball

Pmoney
05-09-2011, 12:59 AM
thats not completely true......the oldest is baseball
no, lacrosse is the first American sport. It was originally played by Native Americans as an alternative to war. It would later be adapted to the sport you see today.