PDA

View Full Version : Sopapilla Cake

Bullaholic
05-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Somebody was talking about eating sopapilla cake the other day and were saying how good it was. Never tried any, myself. Is it any good?

sinton66
05-06-2011, 03:10 PM
I've never even heard of it.

AP Panther Fan
05-06-2011, 03:11 PM
We used to have a restaurant in Corpus Christi (Los Amigos) that was well known for their sopapillas. They were a puffy, deep fried pastry that you poked a hole in and then poured honey in.

I didn't like them, but everyone else did.

hollywood
05-06-2011, 03:59 PM
OH YEAH!!! It's too good for me though!

sinton66
05-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
We used to have a restaurant in Corpus Christi (Los Amigos) that was well known for their sopapillas. They were a puffy, deep fried pastry that you poked a hole in and then poured honey in.

I didn't like them, but everyone else did.

Yeah, I've had those a lot of different places, even out in New Mexico, but never as a "cake".

Old Tiger
05-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Yeah, I've had those a lot of different places, even out in New Mexico, but never as a "cake". same here....I think its just a fried tortilla as well

LH Panther Mom
05-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Sopapilla Cake
Someone posted this recipe on Staci's blog. I thought it might make a nice addition to our lovely blog!

2 cans crescent rolls
2 cups sugar
2 - 8 oz. boxes cream cheese
1 stick butter
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
cinnamon to taste

Place 1 can rolls in bottom of 13X9 in. pan. Flatten to edges. Do NOT seperate. Mix cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, & vanilla w/ mixer. Spread over rolls. Place other can of rolls on top, do not seperate! Melt butter, add 1 cup sugar, stir. Spread on top. Sprinkle cinnamon across entire pan.

Bake @ 350* for 30 min. or until lightly browned. (crust looks like cinnamon toast, crunchy)

link (http://therecipeplace.blogspot.com/2007/01/sopapilla-cake.html)

Sweetwater Red
05-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Sopapilla Cake
Someone posted this recipe on Staci's blog. I thought it might make a nice addition to our lovely blog!

2 cans crescent rolls
2 cups sugar
2 - 8 oz. boxes cream cheese
1 stick butter
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
cinnamon to taste

Place 1 can rolls in bottom of 13X9 in. pan. Flatten to edges. Do NOT seperate. Mix cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, & vanilla w/ mixer. Spread over rolls. Place other can of rolls on top, do not seperate! Melt butter, add 1 cup sugar, stir. Spread on top. Sprinkle cinnamon across entire pan.

Bake @ 350* for 30 min. or until lightly browned. (crust looks like cinnamon toast, crunchy)

link (http://therecipeplace.blogspot.com/2007/01/sopapilla-cake.html)

That's what I thought. There is/was an El Chico's in the Mall of Abilene That's where I first found
sopapillas. They WERE crescent rolls and the group I was with wiped them out with butter and
honey. I didn't care for them much though.

bobcat1
05-06-2011, 07:19 PM
We call it Sopapilla Cheese Cake and it rot your teeth it's soooo good. It don't take much of it top off a meal for dessert. :2thumbsup

Yoe_09
05-06-2011, 11:07 PM
My grandmother started making this stuff a few years ago...very tasty.

LionFan72
05-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Yep, it is good, rich and to die for!

bwdlionfan
05-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by bobcat1
We call it Sopapilla Cheese Cake and it rot your teeth it's soooo good. It don't take much of it top off a meal for dessert. :2thumbsup

Same here, I heard of Sopapilla Cheesecake for the first time in high school when a girl brought some to school that she had made. Stuff was EXCELLENT. I've had it a few times since then and it is very good. Never heard of just Sopapilla Cake though.

Cam
05-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Never heard of sopapilla cake but I'd like to try it....I myself like to make sopapillas (from my mother's old recipe). And no PPh...I'm not a girl! They're alot of work (kneadin' dough and stuff) so I only make em on New Years Eve.....In Dallas, I'd used to take a big bowl of em to company parties and they'd be the first things to go....all the credit goes to my momma......

Bullaholic
05-10-2011, 10:21 AM
I think sopapilla cake and sopapilla cheesecake reference the same thing from what I am reading.

garciap77
05-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
I've never even heard of it.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/DSC04528.jpg

greendawg84
05-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Cam
Never heard of sopapilla cake but I'd like to try it....I myself like to make sopapillas (from my mother's old recipe). And no PPh...I'm not a girl! They're alot of work (kneadin' dough and stuff) so I only make em on New Years Eve.....In Dallas, I'd used to take a big bowl of em to company parties and they'd be the first things to go....all the credit goes to my momma......

I know which New Years party I will crash this year! Man I could eat my weight in the darn things..... and thats a lot of em...