PDA

View Full Version : So in the last 3 days

Old Tiger
05-04-2011, 01:43 PM
oil has gone down $4.50 per barrell and not one gas station I've seen has lowered their prices....

Bullaholic
05-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
oil has gone down $4.50 per barrell and not one gas station I've seen has lowered their prices....

Only because they know your car, OT....:D

Old Tiger
05-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Only because they know your car, OT....:D :eek: :(

bolshavik
05-04-2011, 02:33 PM
TOTAL SCAM

BEAST
05-04-2011, 04:26 PM

It doesnt work that way. The gas they are selling you right now was made with the high dollar oil.(in theory) Prices wont come down at the pump until oil prices stay down for a longer period of time, not just 3 days.

BEAST

Old Tiger
05-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
It doesnt work that way. The gas they are selling you right now was made with the high dollar oil.(in theory) Prices wont come down at the pump until oil prices stay down for a longer period of time, not just 3 days.

BEAST So why does the lower cost oil jump 10-20 cents immediately because of an increase ammount of oil per barrell?

87 TIGER
05-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by BEAST

BEAST I dont agree with that. The gas truck will fill up the tanks at the gas station on lets say a monday. So the station bought all that gas at "X" price. but the gas station will change the price of gas at the pump several times during the week. They will keep the prices high until opposing stations go down so they have to compete.

zebrablue2
05-04-2011, 04:43 PM
It was 4.01 at many stations in Brenham today! Holy crap!!!

Emerson1
05-04-2011, 04:51 PM
and Gas stations aren't rolling in the dough for themselves. Most would lower it if they could. They sell less inside their store when people aren't stopping for gas.

GrTigers6
05-04-2011, 05:38 PM
One store in here is $4.39
but most are 3.99

SintonFan
05-04-2011, 08:51 PM
So why does the lower cost oil jump 10-20 cents immediately because of an increase ammount of oil per barrell?

This has been explained before. Several times.:doh:

sinfan75
05-04-2011, 08:59 PM
oil has gone down $4.50 per barrell and not one gas station I've seen has lowered their prices.... Because the refineries have to get rid of the higher priced oil they've already payed for. The cheaper gas will show up later.

sinfan75
05-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Guess who our biggest supplier of oil is.

Txbroadcaster
05-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
Because the refineries have to get rid of the higher priced oil they've already payed for. The cheaper gas will show up later.

Problem with that theory is when prices go up in oil it is almost next day gas goes up..They dont then sale the cheap gas until they get rid of it then sale the higher priced gas. They are playing both sides of the fence to assure they are charging as much as they can

sinfan75
05-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Problem with that theory is when prices go up in oil it is almost next day gas goes up..They dont then sale the cheap gas until they get rid of it then sale the higher priced gas. They are playing both sides of the fence to assure they are charging as much as they can I'm not sure how works but I don't think a refiner is gonna pay a dime until the tanker is actually in port and the refiner is unloading the tanker. Pretty safe bet I think. Remember, regulators set the prices. not the oil companies.

Txbroadcaster
05-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
I'm not sure how works but I don't think a refiner is gonna pay a dime until the tanker is actually in port and the refiner is unloading the tanker. Pretty safe bet I think. Remember, regulators set the prices. not the oil companies.

I did not mean Oil companies are setting the price I am saying they dont drop the price of gas like they raise them..They raise them almost next day.

SintonFan
05-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Ehh... here it is again(keep in mind I AM NOT a gas station owner!):
Gas station owners call every day to check on the price of wholesale gas. They do this because they pay by cash or check for every gas shipment. At least most of them do.
Since they pay cash or check when their shipment comes in, owners try to make sure they actually have the funds available for their order(margins for most gas station owners are very very slim, a few pennies per gallon, if that). So they will raise the price of gas daily even though they have cheaper gas they are currently selling. Otherwise that check they write(if the transport company even takes checks) will bounce or they might not have the cash in hand to pay for their next load. Can you imagine a $10-$26 thousand dollar check bounce? It aint pretty.

Now for the other side of the price issue(declining prices). I'm not sure what happens. Some owners might take some profit if their competitors don't drop down overnight. I know wholesale prices do drop slower than they rise. I have theories about this but don't have anything concrete on why that is. Hopefully that helps a bit.:nerd:

PPHSfan
05-05-2011, 12:38 AM
Sigh,

Once again. The price of oil has nothing to do with the price of gasoline. That's backwards. The price of gasoline effects the price of oil, and the price of gasoline is whatever the market will bear. The only way to substantially lower the price of gasoline is to reduce demand. And the only way to substantially reduce demand is with driving habits.