PDA

View Full Version : T-Ball question

CenTexSports
05-04-2011, 10:13 AM
My t-ball team is very young with 4 4-year olds and only 2 kids that have played before. I have three rules:1) have fun 2) watch the coach when you run the bases 3) throw the ball back to the pitcher ASAP.

So last night in the first inning, my two "experienced" players are at pitcher and SS. They get the the first three outs by catching the ball and running down the batter before he (she) reaches first. In our half of the first, we score the max 10 runs and I am stopping my kids at second even when they could have gone further. In the second inning, the #4 hitter for the other team hits a HR then my pitcher and SS again run down the batter when they catch the ball.

When I get to third base to coach, I try to tell the other coach that both of us have young teams and it is hard to be competitive with the other older teams. (The other coach chose his players but I was asked to coach because there were more kids signed up than expected and I got the leftover kids).

Anyway this coach jumps on me about playing tag ball and not t-ball and then his player's parents all start riding me about playing unfair. I finally got mad and told him and them to stop whinning. We won 15-1 and I refused to shake his hand.

What do you think about this situation?

Oh yeah, the caoch told me he was teaching his kids REAL baseball and that they would be better players when they grow up than mine will be. I told him to rationalize it any way he needed to (so he didn't mind getting his butt whipped)!

bobcat1
05-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Sounds like fun has left T-Ball to me.

BEAST
05-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Sounds like fun has left T-Ball to me.

Exactly. When I started my oldest sons soccer team when he was 4, it was all about having fun. We didnt even keep score. As the kids got older, the more I pressure I put on them to win. Now, 6 years later, we are playing and winning tournaments and in our local league, we play in the group older than us and win it as well. But, for the life of me, I cant understand anybody who takes the fun out of sports for 4 year olds. Im not saying you did that Centex, I am just saying be careful not to.

BEAST

nobogey72
05-04-2011, 10:52 AM
If I was the other coach, I would NOT have said anything to you BUT I would have been thinking the same thing that he said. I would rather see a kid field the ball and at least try to throw him out at first base (or whatever base) than run them down. It just all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Everybody is different. But again, I wouldn't have said anything to you or whined about it.

AP Panther Fan
05-04-2011, 10:58 AM
I would just try to be sure that the rest of your infield is getting the opportunity to play in addition to the pitcher and shortstop. I know they might be better players, but you might have to call them off so the others can field the ball also.

They all need to have fun. jmho

CenTexSports
05-04-2011, 11:00 AM
At practice we spend more than half the time throwing the ball to first base. Unfortunately I don't have a good first baseman and I would rather see my guys get an out than watch the other team run wild around the bases while we chase the ball.

I guess my definition of fun is for my kids to do the best they can win or lose and all they will get from me is encouragement and coaching.

I agree that keeping score seems silly but the league actually sends a tems to district or regionals or something after the season.

Plus last night in the last inning, I was letting the boys play whatever position they wanted. Everyone was playing a new position.

CenTexSports
05-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Just so you don't think I have a ringer team, we got beat last week 22 -3 by a group that is older and has played together two years.

ccmom
05-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
At practice we spend more than half the time throwing the ball to first base. Unfortunately I don't have a good first baseman and I would rather see my guys get an out than watch the other team run wild around the bases while we chase the ball.

I guess my definition of fun is for my kids to do the best they can win or lose and all they will get from me is encouragement and coaching.

I agree that keeping score seems silly but the league actually sends a tems to district or regionals or something after the season.

Plus last night in the last inning, I was letting the boys play whatever position they wanted. Everyone was playing a new position.

Tball regionals? Whoa...

My youngest is 5 and plays coach pitch ball with 5-6 year olds. They don't keep score, and bat around every inning no matter if there have been no outs made or 6. I guess I thought all leagues did it this way for the young ones. Looks like I need to get out more.

LeeCoMom
05-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Just so you don't think I have a ringer team, we got beat last week 22 -3 by a group that is older and has played together two years.

Just out of curiosity, what league is this?

My 6 year old son plays the exact same way as ccmom's and we are in Giddings. All of the kids seem to be loving their experience and I can see definite improvement from the beginning of the season. Guess I need to get out more, too!

GATAPride77
05-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Yes, you should throw the ball to retire the runner that is how BB is played and should be taught. Tball is for teaching the fundamentals of the game and then getting a snow cone.

Who keeps score in Tball?

AP Panther Fan
05-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by GATAPride77

The Mothers:D

ccmom
05-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Yes, you should throw the ball to retire the runner that is how BB is played and should be taught. Tball is for teaching the fundamentals of the game and then getting a snow cone.

:clap: :clap:

Old Tiger
05-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Any cougars or pumas?

Bullaholic
05-04-2011, 01:25 PM
My t-ball team is very young with 4 4-year olds and only 2 kids that have played before. I have three rules:1) have fun 2) watch the coach when you run the bases 3) throw the ball back to the pitcher ASAP.

So last night in the first inning, my two "experienced" players are at pitcher and SS. They get the the first three outs by catching the ball and running down the batter before he (she) reaches first. In our half of the first, we score the max 10 runs and I am stopping my kids at second even when they could have gone further. In the second inning, the #4 hitter for the other team hits a HR then my pitcher and SS again run down the batter when they catch the ball.

When I get to third base to coach, I try to tell the other coach that both of us have young teams and it is hard to be competitive with the other older teams. (The other coach chose his players but I was asked to coach because there were more kids signed up than expected and I got the leftover kids).

Anyway this coach jumps on me about playing tag ball and not t-ball and then his player's parents all start riding me about playing unfair. I finally got mad and told him and them to stop whinning. We won 15-1 and I refused to shake his hand.

What do you think about this situation?

Oh yeah, the caoch told me he was teaching his kids REAL baseball and that they would be better players when they grow up than mine will be. I told him to rationalize it any way he needed to (so he didn't mind getting his butt whipped)!

My $.02, Centex. Not being critical, but rendering an opinion---probably not the best thing to refuse to shake an opposing coach's hand after a game with 4-5yo watching, especially after winning 15-1. I hear you though, and certainly sympathize with your feelings.

Matthew328
05-04-2011, 03:44 PM
I see both sides of it honestly....maybe try to have some kind of internal clock where you guys try to teach the fundamentals...ie catch the ball and throw the guy out..but every 3rd or 4th batter tell you stud kid to go get it and get the other kid out no matter what...maybe a little balance because I can imagine it wouldn't be fun to watch the other team round the bases all inning..

hookandladder
05-04-2011, 03:57 PM

Would have to agree totally.

CenTexSports
05-04-2011, 04:17 PM
I was told by the league rep that the winner goes to the playoffs and can pick up 2 players from his division. We play in Cameron. It is part of Texas Teen-Age Baseball and Softball Association. This is my first year so I don't know anything else about it.

nobogey72
05-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Unbelievable!! 4 yr olds in the playoffs. WOW!!

87 TIGER
05-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Why not put one of your "experienced" players ,pitcher or SS at first base?

CenTexSports
05-04-2011, 04:52 PM
I did that when we played the better team and got beat 22-3. I will probably do it again.

87 TIGER
05-04-2011, 04:54 PM
It's T Ball just enjoy the time with the kidos because it goes by fast. Oh and make sure the kids have fun too. Good luck the rest of the way ... especially with the parents

Old Tiger
05-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by 87 TIGER
It's T Ball just enjoy the time with the kidos because it goes by fast. Oh and make sure the kids have fun too. Good luck the rest of the way ... especially with the parents That is that attitude that makes kids nothing but wusses these days.

http://www.sportressofblogitude.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/herm.jpg

HELLO! You play to win the game!

Bullaholic
05-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
That is that attitude that makes kids nothing but wusses these days.

HELLO! You play to win the game!

C'mon, OT---we're talking about 4-5yo kids here. Some of that "tough guy" talk is applicable later on, but not now.
You ever see a "studly" 4-5yo????

VWG
05-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Anybody that is getting worked up over a T-ball game needs their head examined.

Are you freaking kidding me?
Anybody that gets so worked up to win at T-ball doesn't need to be coaching kids. End of story.

CenTexSports
05-04-2011, 09:04 PM
I agree that winning is secondary but you have to teach the kids about all of the game and someone has to win.

BTW: I would bet that if you asked my boys what the #1 rule is, every one of them would tell you: "Have Fun!" That is the first thing we talk about at practice and before every game.

Also, not one of my kids has missed a game or asked to be taken out so I feel they are enjoying it.

87 TIGER
05-05-2011, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
That is that attitude that makes kids nothing but wusses these days.

HELLO! You play to win the game! you don't have any kids so you dont understand. Ask any parent on here whos kids have gone through sports and are now grown. I'm not trying to make wussies out of them, just enjoy the time with them they grow up fast.

ccmom
05-05-2011, 09:49 AM
I agree that winning is secondary but you have to teach the kids about all of the game and someone has to win.

BTW: I would bet that if you asked my boys what the #1 rule is, every one of them would tell you: "Have Fun!" That is the first thing we talk about at practice and before every game.

Also, not one of my kids has missed a game or asked to be taken out so I feel they are enjoying it.

So I'm curious...looking back, do you still think it was the right decision to refuse to shake the other coach's hand?

CenTexSports
05-05-2011, 10:03 AM
I have no problem with my decision and I will not shake his hand if we play again.

Based on the comments by others on this board, I understand his opinion better, however he should have kept it to himself. He should also take his kid and play in a non-competitive league if he doesn't want teams to try to win when they play him.

To openly berate another team and to incite his player's parents to openly berate the other team is the lowest form of bad sportsmanship. Especially when I went to him to say he was doing a good job with a very young team.

BEAST
05-05-2011, 10:45 AM
I have no problem with my decision and I will not shake his hand if we play again.

Based on the comments by others on this board, I understand his opinion better, however he should have kept it to himself. He should also take his kid and play in a non-competitive league if he doesn't want teams to try to win when they play him.

To openly berate another team and to incite his player's parents to openly berate the other team is the lowest form of bad sportsmanship. Especially when I went to him to say he was doing a good job with a very young team.

I do agree with you there.

BEAST

Red Bull
05-05-2011, 12:52 PM
I say teach the kids baseball. Undoubtedly you have some reservations on how it all went down or you wouldn't be on this site asking. You would know you did the right thing.

T-Ball in our town is for 4 and 5 year olds and it is not competitve at all. They are out there having fun and what I like to see is when a team does make a throw and catch for an out. Now there is a coach teaching his kids how to play ball.

BaseballUmp
05-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Who was the other coach Centex?

NastySlot
05-05-2011, 12:59 PM
just wondering.....how much time do you all spend on practice? I guess I am asking all those who coach youth leagues...........the biggest problem I see with the local little league here is they don't practice enough............and not ripping the coaches I know they volunteer their time...but half of the practices I stop to watch are more of a waste of time....a lot times there isn't enough kids at practice.

Teach Fundamentals then teach more Fundamentals and when you start winning...... practice the Fundamentals.

CenTexSports
05-05-2011, 02:59 PM
1) We practice for about 45 minutes twice a week depending on games. It is very hard to keep 4 year olds interested for even that long.

2) We practice hitting, fielding, and throwing.

3) I have never coached t-ball before and my youngest is 25 years old. The reason I posted this was that I was interested in comparing my thoughts to those on a sports forum. I do not question my coaching and I know sports. I played college baseball and golf. I officiate high school football and basketball.

4) The other coach's name is on the Cameron baseball assoc. website but I won't post it here. We were playing the Bears (every other team has a MLB name).

NastySlot
05-05-2011, 03:45 PM
1) We practice for about 45 minutes twice a week depending on games. It is very hard to keep 4 year olds interested for even that long.

2) We practice hitting, fielding, and throwing.

3) I have never coached t-ball before and my youngest is 25 years old. The reason I posted this was that I was interested in comparing my thoughts to those on a sports forum. I do not question my coaching and I know sports. I played college baseball and golf. I officiate high school football and basketball.

4) The other coach's name is on the Cameron baseball assoc. website but I won't post it here. We were playing the Bears (every other team has a MLB name).

Oh I hope you don't think I was questioning you or your coaching at practice I was just curious as to what others do and compare it to what I see in my own town.....the 45 mins......is really good thing for little kids.

coach
05-05-2011, 04:08 PM
I have a story about my little brothers first t-ball game.

With my dad being a coach and me being a sports fanatic we both worked with mike routinely to get him prepared for baseball. So naturally he followed in his big brother's footsteps and was a stud in T-Ball. In his first ever game he laced a double down the line. He was standing on 2nd base with the biggest smile on a kids face you will ever see. He was so proud that his older brother and dad watched him succeed. He then started to get this concerned look on his face. Almost like he didn't know what to do next. Well, the next batter came up and smashed it to the fence. As Mike is headed to third he has a terrified look on his face. By the time he rounds first he has tears rolling down his face. He is crying! So my dad and I rush to the dugout to what is wrong with him. Well, he turns to us and we notice a HUGE wet spot on the front of his pants. The damn kid peed himself. Luckily a good friend of ours went to the concessions and found an extra pair of pants. We asked him why he peed himself and he told us he didnt want to leave the game to go to the bathroom. Needless to say, I can't wait to tell this story to all of his girlfriends lol!

BaseballUmp
05-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by coach
I have a story about my little brothers first t-ball game.

With my dad being a coach and me being a sports fanatic we both worked with mike routinely to get him prepared for baseball. So naturally he followed in his big brother's footsteps and was a stud in T-Ball. In his first ever game he laced a double down the line. He was standing on 2nd base with the biggest smile on a kids face you will ever see. He was so proud that his older brother and dad watched him succeed. He then started to get this concerned look on his face. Almost like he didn't know what to do next. Well, the next batter came up and smashed it to the fence. As Mike is headed to third he has a terrified look on his face. By the time he rounds first he has tears rolling down his face. He is crying! So my dad and I rush to the dugout to what is wrong with him. Well, he turns to us and we notice a HUGE wet spot on the front of his pants. The damn kid peed himself. Luckily a good friend of ours went to the concessions and found an extra pair of pants. We asked him why he peed himself and he told us he didnt want to leave the game to go to the bathroom. Needless to say, I can't wait to tell this story to all of his girlfriends lol!

haha thats messed up...where ya at qb?

coach
05-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
haha thats messed up...where ya at qb?

prob. hiding lol