PDA

View Full Version : Football As We Know It

bolshavik
05-02-2011, 12:31 PM
How long before football as we know it will cease to exist? Reports on concussions are flooding the news,internet etc.. How long before there will be pressure to actually outlaw the game or turn it into flag football or 7 on 7?

Old Tiger
05-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by bolshavik
How long before football as we know it will cease to exist? Reports on concussions are flooding the news,internet etc.. How long before there will be pressure to actually outlaw the game or turn it into flag football or 7 on 7? http://youknowyoucare.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Antoine-Dodson-So-Dumb-for-Real.jpg

Billion dollar industries rarely fail

Emerson1
05-02-2011, 12:36 PM
CBS 11 in Dallas had a story on Nate Newton getting Tre to give up football because of the concussions.

Kind of amazing of all the advances and great engineering feats man has accomplished, we still have helmets that are pretty useless when it comes to preventing concussions.

bolshavik
05-02-2011, 12:42 PM
I am not talking about tomorrow but if they keep coming out with scary statistics like they are right now then over time this will be a legitimate question. The game has grown YES, but the game has also changed even in the last 25 years.

Old Tiger
05-02-2011, 12:43 PM
I am not talking about tomorrow but if they keep coming out with scary statistics like they are right now then over time this will be a legitimate question. The game has grown YES, but the game has also changed even in the last 25 years. How about the statistics of people who haven't had adverse effects of concussions and such? You always hear the bad news and hardly ever hear the good news when it comes to this kind of stuff.

bolshavik
05-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Old tiger--- im with ya but sadly I do not own or operate any sort of media outlet that could act as an equalizer to the negative reports that are rampant. All we hear is concussion syndrome, paralysis,heat stroke,knee injuries, NCAA investigations,NCAA D1 schools cheating etc... That negative publicity is going to have an affect sooner or later.

Bullaholic
05-02-2011, 01:06 PM
How long before football as we know it will cease to exist? Reports on concussions are flooding the news,internet etc.. How long before there will be pressure to actually outlaw the game or turn it into flag football or 7 on 7?

I think the players and the game will be saved by technology advances. Because of the increased awareness of head injury concerns, there is a real concerted effort by several companies and inventors to perfect effective and safe-under-any-conditions headgear for players.

bolshavik
05-02-2011, 01:10 PM
I sure hope so...It is the greatest team work game ever invented. I love the physicality of the game and hate it when I see that side of it being chipped away at.

Old Tiger
05-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Some of the new "safety" rules are taking away from the game IMO.

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger

it becomes an issue of what is more important..taking away from the game or making it as safe as possible for those that play..VERY fine line

bolshavik
05-02-2011, 01:43 PM

Which is my point to the start of this thread :)

Black Swarm
05-02-2011, 01:53 PM
In high school I got my bell rung a few times.
In college I had four concussions.
I think I'm normal.;)

WildTexan972
05-02-2011, 02:01 PM
more people die in car wrecks than in ALL sports combined and they don't outlaw driving.....

bolshavik
05-02-2011, 02:04 PM
uh, way more people driving than playing sports. and Football was about outlawed once by Teddy Roosevelt.

Farmersfan
05-02-2011, 02:31 PM
I think we are in a transition period right now between the older generations that are going overboard on all the PC idealology crap and looking out for everybodies well being and the younger generation who has been raised on Grand Theft Auto and Ultimate Fighting Championships. If you could jump ahead 50 years I'm thinking you wouldn't even recognize our society. Sports will more closely resemble Roller Ball and Death Race. Gladiators are slowly but surely making a comeback. We will soon see the end of the days were the public feels sorry for a athlete making a begillion dollars a year to sit on the bench hurt. And all sports will have fighting and dismemberment as the main attraction...... Ya'll got your popcorn ready?

bolshavik
05-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Farmer...

You kind of seeing us go the way of the Roman Empire?

Blastoderm55
05-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I think we are in a transition period right now between the older generations that are going overboard on all the PC idealology crap and looking out for everybodies well being and the younger generation who has been raised on Grand Theft Auto and Ultimate Fighting Championships. If you could jump ahead 50 years I'm thinking you wouldn't even recognize our society. Sports will more closely resemble Roller Ball and Death Race. Gladiators are slowly but surely making a comeback. We will soon see the end of the days were the public feels sorry for a athlete making a begillion dollars a year to sit on the bench hurt. And all sports will have fighting and dismemberment as the main attraction...... Ya'll got your popcorn ready?

http://www.reverseshot.com/files/images/pre-issue22/idiocracy2.gif

Pendragon13
05-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
http://www.reverseshot.com/files/images/pre-issue22/idiocracy2.gif Yup, idocracy is exactly what he's talking about...but hopefully I'll be too old to care when that happens.:(