08-21-2002, 07:46 AM
1. Bridge City

2. Bellville

3. Barbers Hill

4. Sweeny

5. Sealy

Jacket2000
08-21-2002, 08:03 AM
WHAT?! No region 2 teams?! OMG, it must be a conspiracy to keep the DFW teams down and to sell newspapers in the Golden Triangle!
J2K

Matthew328
08-21-2002, 08:13 AM
LOL I was thinkin the same thing!

duckbutter
08-21-2002, 09:57 AM
Wonder if Newton is considered in the Houston area?

ethsfbnut
08-21-2002, 09:59 AM
Yea...where`s Commerce, Everman, Forney, Atlanta, etc, etc, etc.....

Go TIGERS!!!!!

RBARKER
08-21-2002, 10:19 AM
yeah, you would think Newton would be in there. The Chronicle does a poor job on tracking 3A, they mainly report on 4A and 5A.

Bulldog92
08-21-2002, 10:50 AM
I was wondering the same thing, duckbutter. Last year, I relied heavily on the Chronicle's website to get the updates and stats on the Jasper games. Maybe they changed what they consider their "area". At first sight, my jaw dropped when I didn't see Jasper or Newton in the rankings. I'm sure they would be 1 and 2 if they were in the poll...

Old Green
08-21-2002, 12:01 PM
You're right. the chronicle only favors the 4A & 5A schools. they'll only cover the small schools when they are having an outstanding season.

HSFOOTBALLROCKS
08-21-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Old Green:
You're right. the chronicle only favors the 4A & 5A schools. they'll only cover the small schools when they are having an outstanding season.

Can't be as bad as the CC Caller-Times. They don't even know towns exist outside of Corpus and when they do report on one, it's like on page three as a "by the way" type article.
Worst paper to cover High School Sports in the State.
Can always get the Dog Track race results though.

[This message has been edited by HSFOOTBALLROCKS (edited August 21, 2002).]

htownfbman
08-21-2002, 07:16 PM
wharton should be in there in my opinion.

BigRed01
08-22-2002, 12:47 AM
I would rate them the following way
1.Jasper
2.Newton
3.Bridge City
4.Barbers Hill
5.Bellville

Anyone have any others they would like to see in there?

Tiger Turtle
08-22-2002, 03:03 PM
How much attention should you pay to a 3A feature that was 90% on Stafford? As a 3A fan, I couldn't make heads or tails out of the thing. I assume that the list was intended to be sort of an area rankings thing, but it was headed "probable order of finish" or something like that. If it ain't 5A the Barnacle doesn't pay much attention to it.

mojjo_1
08-22-2002, 08:25 PM
Last year Jasper and Newton were in the Houston area. I wonder whats up with the Houston Paper? I guess Beaumont will still claim southeast Texas. 1.Jasper 2.Newton 3.Bridge city 4.Barbers Hill 5.Bellville

SintonFan
08-22-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by HSFOOTBALLROCKS:
Can't be as bad as the CC Caller-Times. They don't even know towns exist outside of Corpus and when they do report on one, it's like on page three as a "by the way" type article.

LOL... I second that!
Also, don't you love getting the friday night game stats on sunday?

OldSchoolBulldog
08-23-2002, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by mojjo_1:
Last year Jasper and Newton were in the Houston area. I wonder whats up with the Houston Paper? I guess Beaumont will still claim southeast Texas. 1.Jasper 2.Newton 3.Bridge city 4.Barbers Hill 5.Bellville

Based on the coverage from last year the Beaumont Enterprise did a poor job of covering the "deep east texas" areas (jasper, newton, buna, burkeville, etc). The Houston papers carried a few stories but they could have done a lot more.

I really hope that the Beaumont newspapers dedicate some reporters to focus on the nearby 3A and 2A teams. There's a lot of good high school football in tha area. It's an open market if they choose to take it.

Of course I am bias. I grow up in Jasper and was a member of Jasper's greatest football team (fall 1980). I still have nightmares about our tie game with Hebert High (we should have won that game).

Bulldog92
08-23-2002, 12:56 AM
You think the '80 team was better than the '82 team? I was too young to know what was happening when you played, but started taking interest in '82. I was in high school from '88 to '92 when Ben and Zack Bronson were there along with some other really good players. Who did you play with on that team? You've heard about Coach Walkoviak going over to Newton, haven't you? What do you think of Barbay pulling that one off?

mojjo_1
08-23-2002, 10:41 AM
Maybe will get noticed if we win a few games,who knows.Jasper's had good teams in the past.This could be the best ever, time and injuries will tell.We have more depth than in the past.The 86 team was a good team and they should have won state also.

HSFOOTBALLROCKS
08-23-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan:
LOL... I second that!
Also, don't you love getting the friday night game stats on sunday?

Sometimes you don't even get that. I have complained to them before, however, it didn't do any good. Hell, sometimes they don't even report the CCISD scores. KIII Sports Blitz is about the only place you can get scores and they are suspect sometimes.
The papers down here need to take some lessons from the West Texas Newspapers, Odessa-American and Midland Reporter-Telegram are two good papers that report on alot of High School Athletic Programs.

SintonFan
08-23-2002, 11:38 AM
You're right HSFOOTBALLROCKS. That TV Sportz Blitz is with Harwell and that other guy(hehe, can't think of his name). They do a good job, but when I'm down there we tend to do alot of channel switching between channels 3 and 6 during the coverage. BTW, who's your team HSFOOTBALLROCKS? Of course Sinton is mine, but I tend to support all of 30-3A.

Old Green
08-23-2002, 11:39 AM
The Victoria Advocate does a good job reporting on teams here in the Golden Crescent. The best I have seen. They do daily previews, pull out section and always have team scores and stats.

HSFOOTBALLROCKS
08-23-2002, 11:52 AM
You're right HSFOOTBALLROCKS. That TV Sportz Blitz is with Harwell and that other guy(hehe, can't think of his name). They do a good job, but when I'm down there we tend to do alot of channel switching between channels 3 and 6 during the coverage. BTW, who's your team HSFOOTBALLROCKS? Of course Sinton is mine, but I tend to support all of 30-3A.

Ingleside. I also support all the teams in the district. Like to see them all have success.
Wish the media was as involved as the people who post here. Just drives me nuts that they don't care what goes on outside of CC. Heck of alot better ball being played in the sticks than in "Town".

j_dog
08-23-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog92:
You think the '80 team was better than the '82 team? I was too young to know what was happening when you played, but started taking interest in '82. I was in high school from '88 to '92 when Ben and Zack Bronson were there along with some other really good players. Who did you play with on that team? You've heard about Coach Walkoviak going over to Newton, haven't you? What do you think of Barbay pulling that one off?

The 80 team was one of the great ones. That was Eugene Seale's breakout year. Jasper didn't lose a game that year, tied Huntsville to open the year, tied Hebert in District, lost on first downs. Huntsville beat Hebert in Bi-District, took out a favored Bay City team, and went on to win state. Yes, the 80 team was one of the great ones. Too bad they didn't have multiple teams going to the playoffs then.

SintonFan
08-23-2002, 12:15 PM
darn double post...

[This message has been edited by SintonFan (edited August 23, 2002).]

SintonFan
08-23-2002, 12:22 PM
Ingleside. I also support all the teams in the district. Like to see them all have success.
Wish the media was as involved as the people who post here. Just drives me nuts that they don't care what goes on outside of CC. Heck of alot better ball being played in the sticks than in "Town".
I agree with the exception of Calallen. Ingleside is my 'darkhorse' for 30-3a this year. I've heard yall have some size all over the team. Is that true? 30-3A has really improved with 2 state finalist in the last 5 years. Mathis, was in 31-3A when they went, I believe. That gives us 3 between the two districts. Not bad! I hope the trend continues and improves.

HSFOOTBALLROCKS
08-23-2002, 12:39 PM

I agree with the exception of Calallen. Ingleside is my 'darkhorse' for 30-3a this year. I've heard yall have some size all over the team. Is that true? 30-3A has really improved with 2 state finalist in the last 5 years. Mathis, was in 31-3A when they went, I believe. That gives us 3 between the two districts. Not bad! I hope the trend continues and improves.

Thanks for the "darkhorse" pick. Tired of being middle of the road, needing 1 or 2 points here or there the last couple of years to be in the playoffs. Team has grown alot, very Junior heavy, though. A few new faces came in with New Sup and coaches. Very quick team, need good games to start (Fal, Sealy and Ganado will test hard) for them to be confident. Coach Lewis has really changed the attitudes around and just need to get up and stay up for all district games no matter who and get over the hump. This district is always interesting to watch. Never know who will emerge on top. Good from top to bottom.
And always good to watch in the playoffs, no matter which teams are there.

SintonFan
08-23-2002, 12:53 PM
HSFOOTBALLROCKS did yall scrimmage this last week? If so how did it go?
If yall win against Fal, who knows?
Sealy, well that's another story...
If yall beat AP, your team should be in.

[This message has been edited by SintonFan (edited August 23, 2002).]

HSFOOTBALLROCKS
08-23-2002, 01:06 PM
SintonFan,
We scrimmaged Goliad and it went ok, 2-0 with an Int. that would have went. Backs and Line are strong, QB ????, Defense looked good, solid tackling a hard hitting going on. We are off this week, scrimmage T-M next Friday.
You are right about AP, Thorn in the side of the Mustangs. That game is always fierce, guys all know each other, run around together and fight like dogs. Ha! Anyway, should be very good year for all in 30-3A.

sinton66
08-23-2002, 06:12 PM
Only problem with a rivalry like AP/Ingleside is that you tend to get people hurt. That can really cost you in the playoffs. Hope the two of you can get through it with no serious injuries. Ingleside is my dark horse also. I picked 'em #3 earlier. AP will be tough though.

OldSchoolBulldog
08-25-2002, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by j_dog:
The 80 team was one of the great ones. That was Eugene Seale's breakout year. Jasper didn't lose a game that year, tied Huntsville to open the year, tied Hebert in District, lost on first downs. Huntsville beat Hebert in Bi-District, took out a favored Bay City team, and went on to win state. Yes, the 80 team was one of the great ones. Too bad they didn't have multiple teams going to the playoffs then.

Other players from that team

Quince Harris '81 (QB) - Univ. Of Houston
Terry Scott '81 (RB) - TJC and Texas A&M
Anthony Thomas '81 (RB) - Abliene Christian
Donald Kenebrew '82(RB/TE)- Univ. Of Houston
David Avis '81 (LB) - Louisiana

Just some names from the old days.

Luke
08-27-2002, 07:10 PM

I agree with you, Mathis only got coverage the week before the state game three years ago. Still, we are deep in the playoffs the past two years and still no coverage. You have to be a CISD team to get recognized in that paper!!!!!

HSFOOTBALLROCKS
08-28-2002, 09:08 AM
Well, this last weekend the CC Smaller-Times came out with the High School Football Preview. They probably think that will do, cause that's about all we will get for the rest of the year. Unless Carroll goes to State. Don't even let one of the "Sticks" towns beat a CC school. You will for sure not read about it in the paper. You are right about Mathis and the lack of coverage. Not much said at all. If it wasn't for the TV Sports around here we would never know that HS Football was being played. And of course, the TV coverage leaves alot to be desired.
There is usually alot of hype for the "Battle of the Bridge" between Carroll and GP, up until the game, but if GP wins, NOTHING WILL BE SAID!!!!

HSFOOTBALLROCKS
08-28-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Old Green:
The Victoria Advocate does a good job reporting on teams here in the Golden Crescent. The best I have seen. They do daily previews, pull out section and always have team scores and stats.

Old Green, I wasn't ignoring you, just a little busy. You are right about the Victoria paper. I read some of the features, good gouge. They take care of all the schools not just a few, like the Smaller-Times does. CC likes to pick who/where as the Wins come, as long as there within 10 Miles. HA!

RBARKER
08-29-2002, 01:35 PM
The Chronicle posted their top 10 dont know what my first post was.

1. Bellville ... 12-1

2. Rice Consolidated ... 11-2

3. Wharton ... 4-6

4. Sweeny ... 8-4

5. Barbers Hill ... 11-1

6. Bridge City ... 11-3

7. Sealy ... 9-3

8. Splendora ... 9-2

9. Columbus ... 5-6

10. Needville ... 1-9

SintonFan
08-29-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by RBARKER:
The Chronicle posted their top 10 dont know what my first post was.

1. Bellville ... 12-1

2. Rice Consolidated ... 11-2

3. Wharton ... 4-6

4. Sweeny ... 8-4

5. Barbers Hill ... 11-1

6. Bridge City ... 11-3

7. Sealy ... 9-3

8. Splendora ... 9-2

9. Columbus ... 5-6

10. Needville ... 1-9

I think they still think Jasper is 4A.

sinton66
08-29-2002, 11:06 PM
NEEDVILLE? 1-9 last season? What the hell are they smoking in Houston?