PDA

View Full Version : Ever see Varsity Blues?

twinkle
10-09-2002, 04:43 AM
When I watched this movie, I thought that whoever wrote the screenplay HAD to have played Texas high school football...some of the movie was disappointing and a tad over the top (psycho coach and the players sneaking into the bar, puhleaze)but as far as portraying the importance of high school football to small towns, parents and players...it was great. What did y'all think about it?

2001GiddingsLB
10-09-2002, 11:04 AM
I thought the importance of football was well portrayed, but the accents were terrible. Also, I thought that the filming of the games was a little over the top, I have never seen so many people flip, 10 guys get blocked by one man, or people play with hangovers in one game before. Otherwise it did a good job of portraying the feel of Texas small school football with the whole town coming out to support the team.

Titans
10-09-2002, 11:09 AM
Worse movie I've ever seen, even worse than Austin Powers...yes, that bad.

At the end of the game, when the coach is shunned by his players, THEY call the game and win it. YEAH, RIGHT!

I'd rather watch volleyball than watch that movie again.

Keith7
10-09-2002, 02:55 PM
I suppose you like remember the titans?? haha

spiderman
10-09-2002, 04:23 PM
I thought it was a great movie! The families of the players being so involved in how their boys were playing and analyzing everything made it so realistic. I think a few things were exaggerated, but looking at the big picture, I saw a film that showed a group of friends doing what they loved to do and being there for one another, no matter what. I saw a group of guys that stood up for what was right as far as when they were going to give the running back the shot in the knee. I saw a film that coaches need to watch to realize that those boys out there on that football field do not want to make mistakes and they need encouragement. They need to recognize that football is life to some kids, and to help them fulfill their goals, not shatter them. And yes, I do believe some teams could benefit if the coach went into the locker room.

Ranger Mom
10-09-2002, 04:37 PM
Amen Spiderman!!
I thought it was a great movie!! It was a little over the top in some places, but overall, it told a story. At least it had a plot. I think it should be required viewing for all football coaches. But what do I know, I thought Austin Powers, (both of them) were hilarious. Haven't seen the new one yet. I have a problem paying $7.00 for a stupid movie, I'll wait til it comes out on video!!

ThaRealBulldog
10-09-2002, 05:05 PM
Varsity Blues is a sweet movie.

TarponRl3k
10-09-2002, 05:13 PM
I thought Varsity Blues was a good movie...of course the actors looked nothing like High School students. It's a movie, of course everything was exaggerated or else nobody would have been interested in watching it. As far as playing with hangovers... I don't think that happens. I would have to say that the hangovers happen the day after the game. And I'm sorry but I've only seen parties anywhere near being like that in other towns...and they weren't 3a.
It did, however capture the essence of football Friday night game atmoshphere and the families and fans and such.

TarponRl3k
10-09-2002, 05:14 PM
DOLLAR VIDEO!!!!

PPHSfan
10-09-2002, 05:17 PM
My favorite line in the movie "I wish our daddys had been smart enough to hold us back in the third grade so we would be bigger too." Man..that line is the epitome of Texas Highschool football. :D :D :D

footballgal
10-09-2002, 07:53 PM
One of the extra that played a football player was a football player ... an Ex-Tarpon football player Causey is the last name, his first name eludes me right now. They had to try out as if they were trying out for the football team.

And yeah the movie was pretty much the way things are in small Texas High schools. But my favorite football movie as of late is "Remember the Titans" I can watch that one over and over the music is great too. Then I would have to say "Rudy" would be my next favorite.

Jacket2000
10-09-2002, 08:14 PM
Personally, I thought it gave Texas HS Football a bad name. Yes, there were some aspects that were acurate, but there many more exaggerations. I thought that Remember the Titans was much better, although I thought it was a little too mellowdramatic(sp?) to be real. Rudy was a good one too. Ive found that there are many more good football books than movies. Some of my favs are Friday Night Lights(Buzz Bissinger), The Junction Boys(Jim Dent), Faith in the Game(must read for coaches and future coaches by Tom Osbourne), and my personal favorite, although it's kinda hard to find, Play it From the Heart(Neal Morgan).
J2K

RocketPlayer
10-09-2002, 09:39 PM
Man, I think Varsity Blues is an awesome movie. It's one of my favs in football movies. The characters are great, though a little unbelievable at times, but heck so are some of the people I know. I'd give this movie three thumbs up, but can't cuz I only have two....

RocketPlayer
10-09-2002, 09:40 PM
Oh yeah, and Austin Powers was great.... all 3 of em... YEAH BABY!!

tog
10-09-2002, 10:17 PM
that fat kid could not have played at most hs, that i know of, too freaking slow

twinkle
10-09-2002, 10:20 PM
PPHSfan....speaking of your favorite quote from the movie...my daughter was telling me that almost all of the boys that go to her school who have football coach dad's were held back so that they could play football longer...Is this a common practice with coaches and their boys?

ej2525
10-10-2002, 07:33 AM
"GET IN MY BELLY".... The best part of Varsity Blues is the Whipped Cream Bikini. Other than that... not a terrible movie. The Program & Rudy still rank well above in my opinion. :D

football_fanatic
10-10-2002, 09:50 AM
I hated the movie. It made Texas HIgh School Football Coaches look like a bunch of jerks who care only about winning. I have known a few like that, but 99% are good caring people who genuinely care about their athletes. ALo too much exageration. "Remember The Titans" ...that's a great movie.

jgbulldog
10-10-2002, 10:43 AM
If ya'll think this movie is an exxageration, then ya'll have never been to Marion, Texas. The coach is just like Kilmer, except in the movie they won. In Marion, the beer flow like wine! And all the dads are pricks who just wanna win. And if there was a strip club here, then all the football players would get in free, because they pretty much run the town! This was an excellent movie that portrayed hs football to its best potential!

football_fanatic
10-10-2002, 11:13 AM
jgbulldog:
If ya'll think this movie is an exxageration, then ya'll have never been to Marion, Texas. The coach is just like Kilmer, except in the movie they won. In Marion, the beer flow like wine! And all the dads are pricks who just wanna win. And if there was a strip club here, then all the football players would get in free, because they pretty much run the town! This was an excellent movie that portrayed hs football to its best potential!you are a sick individual if you think that movie represents hs football to its best potential. That movie portrays more of the bad. I coach to help my players become better people, and hopefully show them a Godly role model, not so they can line my trophy case

2001GiddingsLB
10-10-2002, 12:12 PM
jg I don't know if its like that in Marion or not but if it is thats jsut sad. I know here in Giddings we did some things but we had respect for ourselves and our town. Also you can't go out drinking every night if you expect to win a district or state title.