PDA

View Full Version : Spurs eliminated by Memphis 99 to 91.

Phil C
04-29-2011, 10:50 PM
You have to give credit to Memphis for playing well. They are a very good team. They would have been even much better if they hadn't traded the other Gasol to the Lakers a few years ago and got nothing worthwhile in return.

coach
04-29-2011, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
You have to give credit to Memphis for playing well. They are a very good team. They would have been even much better if they hadn't traded the other Gasol to the Lakers a few years ago and got nothing worthwhile in return.

as much as i hate the spurs, its not as sweet as io thought it would be. They are so old and it's not that surprising. Now if this was 5 years ago...i would be going nuts right now. good luck memphis. Beat OKC

Roughneck93
04-29-2011, 11:58 PM
Agree. Spurs just looked tired and old. Memphis, along with OKC seem to be two young teams on the rise in the West.

Maroon87
04-30-2011, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Phil C

Yep...the Griz have the young horses. No shame in getting beat by a better squad. Spurs battled all the way but couldn't get over the hump at the end.

I think it's time for the Spurs to make power forward a priority position in the draft/free agency...Timmy looked much older then 35 out there last night.

trojandad
04-30-2011, 07:59 AM
im not a spurs fan since robinson left, so i didnt have a dog in the fight, but i saw zach randolph getting most of the calls when he was setting up low, it was mainly against mcdeiss who is calm and doesnt ride the refs on bad calls over his career....if the grizzlies meet up with a group of refs not letting him do his thing down low as much, it'll be a big difference, cause they're like the spurs, they dont have a lot of places to go for offense....

but ginobili went cold and memphis deserves to move on....

Maroon87
04-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by trojandad
im not a spurs fan since robinson left, so i didnt have a dog in the fight, but i saw zach randolph getting most of the calls when he was setting up low, it was mainly against mcdeiss who is calm and doesnt ride the refs on bad calls over his career....if the grizzlies meet up with a group of refs not letting him do his thing down low as much, it'll be a big difference, cause they're like the spurs, they dont have a lot of places to go for offense....

but ginobili went cold and memphis deserves to move on....

Bonner got hit with a couple of borderline at best fouls while guarding Randolph too. But no excuses...the Spurs had a chance to win game 1 and game 3 if they had just executed at the end of each game. It shouldn't come down to the officials bailing you out in a close-out situation on the road.

poisoned10
04-30-2011, 09:46 AM
And Memphis is without one of their top players, Rudy Gay.

Emerson1
04-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Wore out to much in the regular season. Most of their starters played the entire season. Meanwhile Dirk had a 10 day break with a sprained knee.

Old Tiger
04-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Average age of spurs starters(duncan, mcdyess, ginobli, parker, and jefferson) = 32.4 years

Maroon87
04-30-2011, 11:01 AM
I guess overall I shouldn't gripe...this was essentially the same Spurs team that was a #7 seed last year.

Although I will gripe about Richard Jefferson...what the hell does he bring to the table exactly? That dude had 1 good half in the playoffs last year and that's it. I change the channel when he's in the game...

:doh:

TheDOCTORdre
04-30-2011, 11:04 AM
this is the worst thing that could happen to OKC, they were looking forward to playing the older Spurs

Maroon87
04-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
this is the worst thing that could happen to OKC, they were looking forward to playing the older Spurs

OKC was a combined 1-6 against SA and Memphis this year. I don't think they were really looking forward to either one.

TheDOCTORdre
04-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
OKC was a combined 1-6 against SA and Memphis this year. I don't think they were really looking forward to either one.

and only one of those games was after the Perkins trade

Old Tiger
04-30-2011, 07:02 PM
I guess overall I shouldn't gripe...this was essentially the same Spurs team that was a #7 seed last year.

Although I will gripe about Richard Jefferson...what the hell does he bring to the table exactly? That dude had 1 good half in the playoffs last year and that's it. I change the channel when he's in the game...

:doh: He had a pretty good regular season.

Maroon87
04-30-2011, 07:10 PM
Good piece on Duncan.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=6449896

Old Tiger
04-30-2011, 07:12 PM
Good piece on Duncan.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=6449896 He doesn't jump or fight for rebounds.

Maroon87
04-30-2011, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
He doesn't jump or fight for rebounds.

He doesn't now because he's old. Show me one big man at the same career stage that does.

injuredinmelee
05-01-2011, 12:45 AM
the geriatric unit of the NBA...

Maroon87
05-01-2011, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
the geriatric unit of the NBA...

...that has 4 rings.

Txbroadcaster
05-01-2011, 04:35 AM
I find it funny that Spurs fans are saying the best team won...REALLY??!?!?!?...The Spurs lost 21 games...Griz lost 36..Spurs won the west by 4 games while the Griz made the play offs by 3 game.....admit it Spurs fan, you got beat when you should not have

3afan
05-01-2011, 03:57 PM
go MAVS!

Big Papa
05-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I find it funny that Spurs fans are saying the best team won...REALLY??!?!?!?...The Spurs lost 21 games...Griz lost 36..Spurs won the west by 4 games while the Griz made the play offs by 3 game.....admit it Spurs fan, you got beat when you should not have

agreed they should have swept the grizzly... but in the series they played terrible and the grizz were the better team these past 2 weeks.. thats what i mean when i say the better team won..thats why they play 7 game series.. nothin wrong with giving credit

SintonFan
05-01-2011, 10:37 PM

Memphis just dominated the Thunder.:nerd:
Box score from today! (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/mem)

Memphis IS good!

Your point Txbc?

big daddy russ
05-02-2011, 01:45 AM
Watching these last two weeks, I would've never guessed we were the better team. Memphis made us play their game and it always seemed like we were the ones playing catch up, trying to adjust to what they were doing instead of the other way around. Putting Bonner in there masked some of our shortcomings in the paint, but when he went cold we couldn't keep their length at bay.

Splitter and Duncan are our only two players with any size to speak of. Duncan can't move like he used to, nor does he have the lift to cover the bucket. He'll still get some blocks and deflections on his craftiness, but Memphis (read: Mayo and Conley) exposed him and proved he's not the clean-up man he once was. Splitter still looks lost on defense. He has some size, but unless he catches up to the game or magically develops the athleticism of Darrell Arthur, teams like Memphis with bangers inside and slashers outside will use their ability to divert and penetrate and abuse Splitter's assignments.

On top of that, the Grizzlies' ability to get back on defense limited Richard Jefferson's ability to get to the rim and finish. He's always been better in a fastbreak offense. Take away his ability to run in the open court, it suddenly becomes glaring not only how timid he is, but also how clumsy he gets in traffic in a halfcourt defense.

Just two years ago, we forced other teams to match up to us. We're no longer that team.

First seed or not, we looked overmatched. We didn't look like one of the best teams in the NBA, much less the West. And I'll be the first Spurs fan to cede that to Memphis.

It was a beautiful run while it lasted.

Maroon87
05-02-2011, 08:32 AM

We were gonna blame the refs but that's the trademark of another fan group here.

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2011, 08:43 AM
We were gonna blame the refs but that's the trademark of another fan group here.

hahahaha..btw I am not a Mav fan..but honestly both fan groups( and prob every NBA fan group) blames the refs

buff4ever
05-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre

They didn't win a game against the Spurs all year. They atleast beat the Grizzlies.