PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys draft

Farmersfan
04-29-2011, 08:12 AM
Tyron Smith? I think everybody agrees that the Cowboys need some help on their O-line with the ages of some of the players but isn't that need WAY down the list behind safety and cornerback? They overlooked some very highly thought of safeties and cornerbacks in the draft to take Smith. Also out of the O-line needs I would think the LEFT tackle spot was their most dire. Apparently they feel Doug Free will be serviceable and did ok at left tackle but he is really a right tackle. So why draft a right tackle when they needed a left? Any comments?

rancher
04-29-2011, 08:17 AM
It is Jerry's team and money, he can do what he wants. As long as the fools keep filling the seats for him, he dont care.

Txbroadcaster
04-29-2011, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Tyron Smith? I think everybody agrees that the Cowboys need some help on their O-line with the ages of some of the players but isn't that need WAY down the list behind safety and cornerback? They overlooked some very highly thought of safeties and cornerbacks in the draft to take Smith. Also out of the O-line needs I would think the LEFT tackle spot was their most dire. Apparently they feel Doug Free will be serviceable and did ok at left tackle but he is really a right tackle. So why draft a right tackle when they needed a left? Any comments?

Not one Safety was taken in the first round so I think them not drafting a safety was a great thing...they tried to trade down but did not like the offers

Smith will most likely move to LT at some point..only reason he just played RT at USC was the fact they have a top 3 type player there now.

IMO OL was/is a far more pressing need than CBs..I think Ryan's schemes and D will help the secondary alot more than we realize

Matthew328
04-29-2011, 08:28 AM
I agree OL was the way to go...

Farmersfan
04-29-2011, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Not one Safety was taken in the first round so I think them not drafting a safety was a great thing...they tried to trade down but did not like the offers

Smith will most likely move to LT at some point..only reason he just played RT at USC was the fact they have a top 3 type player there now.

IMO OL was/is a far more pressing need than CBs..I think Ryan's schemes and D will help the secondary alot more than we realize

I'm not sure who you are thinking about but if Smith couldn't beat out the USC left tackles then he certainly won't be a good NFL left tackle and doesn't rate a #9 pick. As a right tackle he certainly performed very well and I would understand it if USC had a left handed QB but they didn't. Smith is a good player but only time will tell. And O-line was far, far from their biggest need. Even Mel Kiper had them needing S, CB, DE before needing O-line. If there was no S, CB or DE that rated a #9 pick I can understand that but the point being Smith probably won't rate a #9 either based on their need. but we will see.
What is your projection on Dallas's next couple of picks tonight?

Bullaholic
04-29-2011, 09:07 AM
I'm fine with the Tyron Smith pick. The Cowboys didn't trade down into mediocrity-land. I think Smith will be some badly needed bedrock for an old, shifting-sand Cowboy offensive line.

If Peterson was there---that would have been a different story---but he was gone, and the Cowboys picked the best player they thought could help them the quickest with his potential.

Bearkat
04-29-2011, 09:18 AM
This is my guess at the COWBOYS next few picks.

2nd round: DB or DE
3rd round: DB or DE(which ever they did not get in round 2) or ILB
4th round: DE/ILB/OL

Farmersfan
04-29-2011, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I'm fine with the Tyron Smith pick. The Cowboys didn't trade down into mediocrity-land. I think Smith will be some badly needed bedrock for an old, shifting-sand Cowboy offensive line.

If Peterson was there---that would have been a different story---but he was gone, and the Cowboys picked the best player they thought could help them the quickest with his potential.

I think great O-linemen are the hardest to find. If Smith is a career starter for Dallas he will probably be worth it. CBs and Safeties are so hit & miss it might be better to take them in later rounds hoping to hit on a great one or just go after a proven one as a free agent or in a trade.

Farmersfan
04-29-2011, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Bearkat
This is my guess at the COWBOYS next few picks.

2nd round: DB or DE
3rd round: DB or DE(which ever they did not get in round 2) or ILB
4th round: DE/ILB/OL

I really don't understand the idea that Dallas needs DEs. I know the 3-4 is different but why do they have like 10 Defensive Ends listed on their roster? In the 3-4 the D-end is actually the Outside Linebacks. Like 6 of those 10 listed couldn't play off the line like Ware and Spencer so wouldn't it be better to bring up a 4 or 5 man line and utilize the players you already have? Just curious why they are sticking to the 3-4 when apparently they don't have the personell for it?

RoyceTTU
04-29-2011, 09:34 AM
I was hoping they would trade down and pick up CB as first pick

Bearkat
04-29-2011, 09:55 AM
I really don't understand the idea that Dallas needs DEs. I know the 3-4 is different but why do they have like 10 Defensive Ends listed on their roster? In the 3-4 the D-end is actually the Outside Linebacks. Like 6 of those 10 listed couldn't play off the line like Ware and Spencer so wouldn't it be better to bring up a 4 or 5 man line and utilize the players you already have? Just curious why they are sticking to the 3-4 when apparently they don't have the personell for it?

DE's are not OLB's in a 3-4. DE's in a 3-4 are more like DT's. They are there to play 3 techniques and 5 techniques. Which means they are more for run support than pass rushers.

There are only 4 DE's on the active roster.

Igor Olshansky
Jason Hatcher
Clifton Geathers
Stephen Bowen

You can add Marcus Spears but he is currently on the IR.

If I remember correctly Spears and Hatcher will be free agents when the season begins.

-Olshansky will be a starter.
-Spears would be the other starter if he is resigned.
-Hatcher would be the 3rd DE if he is resigned.

-If, both Spears and Hatcher leave, the COWBOYS would have only 3 DE's on the team. A DE is a huge need right now.

Macarthur
04-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Smith is a very solid pick. One thing folks need to remember is that he is only 20 years old. He's still a baby; the guy is going to be a beast in 2 or 3 years.

They said on the radio last night that one scout, maybe Gil Brandt, said he was the most athletic OT to come out since Walter Jones. That's pretty high praise.

Another thing that I think is interesting. They now have two OTs that are very good in space. I think this really adds a dimension to the offense with regards to pulling and running to the outside.

Old Tiger
04-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Tyron Smith? I think everybody agrees that the Cowboys need some help on their O-line with the ages of some of the players but isn't that need WAY down the list behind safety and cornerback? They overlooked some very highly thought of safeties and cornerbacks in the draft to take Smith. Also out of the O-line needs I would think the LEFT tackle spot was their most dire. Apparently they feel Doug Free will be serviceable and did ok at left tackle but he is really a right tackle. So why draft a right tackle when they needed a left? Any comments? No your team is built on offensive line and defensive front 7. I find your lack of personnel knowledge idiotic.

The line is old and Doug Free did ok at left tackle. Ok is not something you want at left tackle. You want good to great and Smith will be good because of his footwork.

SintonFan
04-29-2011, 10:17 AM
Looks good!:clap:

Macarthur
04-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
No your team is built on offensive line and defensive front 7. I find your lack of personnel knowledge idiotic.

The line is old and Doug Free did ok at left tackle. Ok is not something you want at left tackle. You want good to great and Smith will be good because of his footwork.

I agree on your first point, but I think you are selling Free a bit short. There are a couple of websites that keep certain benchmarks on OL play and Free was one of the better LTs in the league last year.

I still think Smith ends up on at LT, but Free was good so there's no rush.

Bull's-eye
04-29-2011, 10:44 AM
We must all remember that Free could be an unrestricted player, depending on the new CBA. Dallas can save 2.5 million by letting Columbo walk and Kosier is another OL that must be resigned. Davis is getting old, so the time is right to rebuild the front five. I know Dallas has other needs, but an interior lineman in the 3rd or 4th round wouldn't be a bad choice.

Macarthur
04-29-2011, 10:50 AM
I think they def take an interior OL in the 3rd or 4th.

A couple of names to remember:
Boling, Georgia
Moffitt, Wisc
Rackley, Lehigh
Wisnewski, Penn St

Those are all some really good guys with Moffitt and Wisnewski having some extra value because they have played center.

Old Tiger
04-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I agree on your first point, but I think you are selling Free a bit short. There are a couple of websites that keep certain benchmarks on OL play and Free was one of the better LTs in the league last year.

I still think Smith ends up on at LT, but Free was good so there's no rush. I think they move Free over to RT and start Smith from day 1 because of the financial investment he will be.

Cowboys at the 2nd level rushing rank 20th in the league and in the open field rushing they rank 26. That is because of age and lack of athleticism getting to the second level in their blocking and open field blocking.

Dallas also gave up 31 sacks last year.

Marc Colombo is a risk IMO.

Macarthur
04-29-2011, 10:52 AM
I think you're right. I think he goes to LT day one and holds that spot for the next 12-15 years.

Txbroadcaster
04-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Dont be shocked if Dallas takes a RB in 2nd or 3rd round..IMO they should take best player at any of these positions

S/CB/OL/RB/ILB

Macarthur
04-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Dont be shocked if Dallas takes a RB in 2nd or 3rd round..IMO they should take best player at any of these positions

S/CB/OL/RB/ILB

Not sure if you've been listening to Norm, but he's brought up RB a couple of times. He must be hearing that somewhere....That's quite a satement on Felix and Choice, huh?

Txbroadcaster
04-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Not sure if you've been listening to Norm, but he's brought up RB a couple of times. He must be hearing that somewhere....That's quite a satement on Felix and Choice, huh?

no not had a chance to listen to Norm...I think it is more a statement of Barber being gone, and them still not trusting Choice or Felix Jones( Jones as more of a workhorse)

I have heard a juicy rumors from some media friends...

one is Garrett would love Reggie Bush as a 3rd Down Back so Jones could become exclusive 1st and 2nd Down back with another "power Back" in the mold of Barber, but with a little more speed and agility.

Ex-Tiger2005
04-29-2011, 11:36 AM
I wanted Cam Jordan or Prince

Black_Magic
04-29-2011, 11:41 AM
I think they should have picked up andy dalton ... Not convinced tony is the future

RoyceTTU
04-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
I think they should have picked up andy dalton ... Not convinced tony is the future

I think pick up Taylor Potts outside of the draft and see if he matures into anything. Big Arm, great accuracy

Macarthur
04-29-2011, 11:46 AM
no not had a chance to listen to Norm...I think it is more a statement of Barber being gone, and them still not trusting Choice or Felix Jones( Jones as more of a workhorse)

I have heard a juicy rumors from some media friends...

one is Garrett would love Reggie Bush as a 3rd Down Back so Jones could become exclusive 1st and 2nd Down back with another "power Back" in the mold of Barber, but with a little more speed and agility.

If he wants another explosive type to pair with Felix, how about this name?

Derrick Locke - RB, Kentucky 5'8" 188lbs 4.37 40! Small, but strong for his size and very explosive.

Macarthur
04-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Personally, if Dallas goes RB, I prefer a guy like Helu or Alex Green. Both are bigger backs. I think they need a bigger guy to compliment Felix and Choice since Barber is most likely gone.

Txbroadcaster
04-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Personally, if Dallas goes RB, I prefer a guy like Helu or Alex Green. Both are bigger backs. I think they need a bigger guy to compliment Felix and Choice since Barber is most likely gone.

yep I agree

GrTigers6
04-29-2011, 11:50 AM
If he wants another explosive type to pair with Felix, how about this name?

Derrick Locke - RB, Kentucky 5'8" 188lbs 4.37 40! Small, but strong for his size and very explosive. The last "small" running back sucked, He only played 10 years and got some kind of rushing record. :D
Oh and 3 superbowl rings!!!

STANG RED
04-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
I think pick up Taylor Potts outside of the draft and see if he matures into anything. Big Arm, great accuracy

Big arm and accuracy yes, but he thinks a little too slow, takes too long to go to second and third options. If his first guy is open, he's great, but goes way down in a hurry after that. However those things might be able to be drilled into him eventually, so might as well get him cheap if you can I guess.

RoyceTTU
04-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Big arm and accuracy yes, but he thinks a little too slow, takes too long to go to second and third options. If his first guy is open, he's great, but goes way down in a hurry after that. However those things might be able to be drilled into him eventually, so might as well get him cheap if you can I guess.

I agree, I don't know if the cowboys need to waste a pick on a QB this year.

GrTigers6
04-29-2011, 12:16 PM
They can get Kevin Kolb, Eagles dont need him apparently:D

Txbroadcaster
04-29-2011, 12:21 PM
I agree, I don't know if the cowboys need to waste a pick on a QB this year.

I think Dallas should take a flyer every year with a late round pick on a QB. McGee IMO is not the answer and I am not sure if even a capable back up

Txbroadcaster
04-29-2011, 12:23 PM
more and more mock drafts have Williams of Texas falling to Dallas..boy if that happens that means Dallas is getting two first round talent with first two picks

Txbroadcaster
04-29-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm not sure who you are thinking about but if Smith couldn't beat out the USC left tackles then he certainly won't be a good NFL left tackle and doesn't rate a #9 pick.

Sorry I read the article wrong...When Smith was a Soph. LT was alreay occupied by Charles Brown(Plays for saints now)...the RT was open so they moved Smith...When Brown graduated they decided to keep Smith at RT so they would not be basically breaking in two new tackles as far as position..and the Right Side was considered the stronget part of the USC line last year

RoyceTTU
04-29-2011, 12:42 PM
I think Dallas should take a flyer every year with a late round pick on a QB. McGee IMO is not the answer and I am not sure if even a capable back up

I agree McGee is not the answer. I'm just not a big fan of developing a QB in the NFL out of the draft. It's too expensive. Go out and get a young FA that still has 6 or 7 years left, and fill in the backups with the dwindling has-beens.

JMHO, might be wrong

TxAthlete
04-29-2011, 01:04 PM
If they do decide to go with a running back, the two I'd like to see are Helu Jr. or Kendall Hunter out of Okie State. I think Hunter is the safer bet as far as running back goes, but Helu is explosive enough to contribute somewhere, even if not at rb.

Farmersfan
04-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Sorry I read the article wrong...When Smith was a Soph. LT was alreay occupied by Charles Brown(Plays for saints now)...the RT was open so they moved Smith...When Brown graduated they decided to keep Smith at RT so they would not be basically breaking in two new tackles as far as position..and the Right Side was considered the stronget part of the USC line last year

Right! And should that make us worry? With a right handed Quarterback the left tackle spot is probably the most important spot on the line and USC didn't put their best tackle there? It might not be a issue and Smith might be able to make the change. But would you use a #9 pick on a Right tackle? So I agree they probably will try to move him to the left side and if he is as good as the right side then Dallas got a good one. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Macarthur
04-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Right! And should that make us worry? With a right handed Quarterback the left tackle spot is probably the most important spot on the line and USC didn't put their best tackle there? It might not be a issue and Smith might be able to make the change. But would you use a #9 pick on a Right tackle? So I agree they probably will try to move him to the left side and if he is as good as the right side then Dallas got a good one. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

a scout was quoted last night, maybe gil brandt, that said he is the most athletic OT to come out since Walter Jones.

he is very capable of playing LT.

Farmersfan
04-29-2011, 01:47 PM
No your team is built on offensive line and defensive front 7. I find your lack of personnel knowledge idiotic.

It's kind of ironic that you call my statement idiotic then basically repeat the same thing. And do you not wonder why USC didn't have Smith at left tackle if he was able to perform well at that spot? I'm not saying he can't because I don't know. (and neither do you).

The offensive and defensive lines were NOT the main problem with this team last season. I say fix the BAD before you worry about the OLD! Maybe Ryan as DC will bring back some of the d-backfield magic of a couple of years ago. We'll see.

Bearkat
04-29-2011, 01:48 PM
I don't really care which OT position he plays, and long as he plays well. If he doesn't work out then it may be another 20-30 years before the COWBOYS draft another OL with a high pick.

I can't wait to see what they do tonight with the 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Anyway, welcome to the COWBOYS Tyron Smith. Go open some holes and protect Romo!!!

RoyceTTU
04-29-2011, 01:56 PM

It's my understaning that he is the 2nd best tackle at USC. The better of the two will be a top 5 pick next year.

Macarthur
04-29-2011, 01:58 PM
It's kind of ironic that you call my statement idiotic then basically repeat the same thing. And do you not wonder why USC didn't have Smith at left tackle if he was able to perform well at that spot? I'm not saying he can't because I don't know. (and neither do you).

The offensive and defensive lines were NOT the main problem with this team last season. I say fix the BAD before you worry about the OLD! Maybe Ryan as DC will bring back some of the d-backfield magic of a couple of years ago. We'll see.

I've got to disagree that the OL was not a problem. This has been an aging OL for years. Romo mobility has made them look much better than they really are for several years.

Columbo have up more than 40 QB hurries last season. That is an astronomical number. OL had to be addressed.

As for DL, while what they have isn't terrible, I do think there is need there. If for no other reason than those they have are not locked up long term contractually.

Farmersfan
04-29-2011, 02:04 PM
The dude is a beast for sure.... I read where someone from Dallas said they expect he will play at 300lbs +.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/683970-tyron-smith-cowboys-want-me-to-play-left-tackle

Macarthur
04-29-2011, 02:05 PM
It's my understaning that he is the 2nd best tackle at USC. The better of the two will be a top 5 pick next year.

Um, are you talking about Kalil? He wasn't even all pac 10.

Farmersfan
04-29-2011, 02:09 PM
I've got to disagree that the OL was not a problem. This has been an aging OL for years. Romo mobility has made them look much better than they really are for several years.

Columbo have up more than 40 QB hurries last season. That is an astronomical number. OL had to be addressed.

As for DL, while what they have isn't terrible, I do think there is need there. If for no other reason than those they have are not locked up long term contractually.

I didn't say OL was not a problem. It certainly had it's issues. I said it was not the MAIN problem. And it is funny that you credit Romo for making the OL look better than they are when old man Kitna performed almost as well as (in his prime) Romo did with the exact same line. The line certainly had problems but it was down about 3 or 4 spots on the "Must Address" list IMHO..............

RoyceTTU
04-29-2011, 02:10 PM

I'm trying to find the article that explained why he played RT instead of LT. Heck, maybe I made it up cause I can't find it.:confused:

RoyceTTU
04-29-2011, 02:14 PM

Aparantly Kahlil was injured which made them move smith. Hence the reason why Kahlil didn't make all pac 10 nor leave early for the draft.

Either way it sounds like smith playes both sides profeciently

Farmersfan
04-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Aparantly Kahlil was injured which made them move smith. Hence the reason why Kahlil didn't make all pac 10 nor leave early for the draft.

Either way it sounds like smith playes both sides profeciently

Maybe my google is gaga but I could not find a single thing that indicated that Smith has ever played the left side in college. I did find where they brought him in as a freshman to play left tackle but he never played that spot. Does anyone know if he played left tackle in High School?

RoyceTTU
04-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Maybe my google is gaga but I could not find a single thing that indicated that Smith has ever played the left side in college. I did find where they brought him in as a freshman to play left tackle but he never played that spot. Does anyone know if he played left tackle in High School?

I honestly can't find how I came upon that observation. You can't hardly google anything about him and get past forums or news about the draft.

The only think I remember 100% is he is 2nd best at USC. Kahlil will go in the top 5 next year.

Sorry

Farmersfan
04-29-2011, 02:55 PM
I honestly can't find how I came upon that observation. You can't hardly google anything about him and get past forums or news about the draft.

The only think I remember 100% is he is 2nd best at USC. Kahlil will go in the top 5 next year.

Sorry

Perhaps here. It is a prediction based on how good the USC QB will play next season and the 2012 draft order. This guy has Kahil going #4 to the Bengles.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/680994-2012-nfl-mock-draft-can-anyone-test-andrew-luck-for-top-spot/entry/73074-2012-nfl-draft-buffalo-selects-matt-barkely-qb-usc-at-no-3

Macarthur
04-29-2011, 04:15 PM
I didn't say OL was not a problem. It certainly had it's issues. I said it was not the MAIN problem. And it is funny that you credit Romo for making the OL look better than they are when old man Kitna performed almost as well as (in his prime) Romo did with the exact same line. The line certainly had problems but it was down about 3 or 4 spots on the "Must Address" list IMHO..............

I don't want to get into the Romo thing again. It makes my head want to explode.

What 3 or 4 areas do you think are higher priority than OL?

TheDOCTORdre
04-29-2011, 04:26 PM
I'm ok with the pick, I think Dallas is going to try and address the CB position through free agency when it starts in the form of Nnamdi Asomugha, hopefully this pans out.

As far as QB goes, does anyone think that Jerry will go to his Arkansas roots and pick Mallet if he falls to him?

Macarthur
04-29-2011, 04:33 PM

Sorry

I think there's much more being made of this than needs to be. I can't find anything that supports that last statement.

In fact, here's one quote from Kiffin about Kalil:

The most surprising omission from Lane Kiffin’s list of NFL-caliber Trojans was junior tackle Matt Kalil, who’s gaining notoriety as the player who prevented first-round-bound Tyron Smith from playing left tackle last season.

Kiffin said Kalil (Servite High) has a bigger upside than his older brother, Ryan Kalil, who’s the starting center for the Carolina Panthers. But Matt Kalil isn’t consistent enough yet to realize his potential.

“He had a lot of mental errors last year,” Kiffin said. “He’s got to be able to put drives together, then quarters together, then games together, to be a premier player.”

I also think you have to consider that Smith has only just turned 20 and played at USC at 285lbs.

Also, Kalil was Smith's backup for two seasons despite being 1.5 years older than Tyron. If he was clearly better, that would not have been the case.

I'm not dissing Kalil; He looks like he will be drafted in the first round, but I think there's more to SMith not playing LT than simply saying one is better than the other. I think the issue was more complex than that.

Txbroadcaster
04-29-2011, 05:02 PM
And it is funny that you credit Romo for making the OL look better than they are when old man Kitna performed almost as well as (in his prime) Romo did with the exact same line.

Mac was taling about Romo's mobility making the OL look better...and it has..Kitna was sacked 21 times in 10 games( 2 a game)

Romo was sacked 6 times in 7 games( 1.1),,in fact in Romo's career he has been sacked 106 times in 83 games.( 1.2 a game)..In Romo's first season Bledsoe was being sacked 2.3 times a game..while Romo 1.2..Heck that was one of the main reasons Parcells made the move, Romo could avoid the rush

Maroon87
04-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
I'm ok with the pick, I think Dallas is going to try and address the CB position through free agency when it starts in the form of Nnamdi Asomugha, hopefully this pans out.

This.

Macarthur
04-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre

As far as QB goes, does anyone think that Jerry will go to his Arkansas roots and pick Mallet if he falls to him?

I love the player, but he is going to want a gigantic contract.

Old Tiger
04-29-2011, 05:16 PM

The offensive and defensive lines were NOT the main problem with this team last season. I say fix the BAD before you worry about the OLD! Maybe Ryan as DC will bring back some of the d-backfield magic of a couple of years ago. We'll see. Because SC had a guy who is a top 5 pick talent at LT so they put Smith at RT. The guy at SC was a little better than Smith but that doesn't mean Smith is bad.

Cowboys offensive line is a big problem....in passing as well as in run blocking.

Txbroadcaster
04-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Cowboys take ILB Bruce Carter from UNC

Sweetwater Red
04-29-2011, 06:07 PM
I love the player, but he is going to want a gigantic contract.

Yep and there are what six teams in desperate need of a CB? One of those being the Redskins
and we all know Daniel Snyder has never over paid for a free agent. :rolleyes:

Let the bidding war begin.

BaseballUmp
04-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Demarco murray? Another rb really?

Must be holding out hope nhamdi asmfhjedh(that guy)

Txbroadcaster
04-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Demarco murray? Another rb really?

Must be holding out hope nhamdi asmfhjedh(that guy)

Barber is going to be shown the door, I dont think the team really trusts Choice at all and they are still weary of wearing down Jones. I like the Murray pick

Old Tiger
04-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Barber is going to be shown the door, I dont think the team really trusts Choice at all and they are still weary of wearing down Jones. I like the Murray pick If they are worried about injuries to RB isn't Murray the poster child of banged up RB's?

Txbroadcaster
04-29-2011, 09:22 PM
If they are worried about injuries to RB isn't Murray the poster child of banged up RB's?

yep that IMO is the only concern with him..I really wanted them to take Kendall Hunter..but they went Murrary

Macarthur
04-29-2011, 11:18 PM
I think Murray's injuries are a little overstated.

The dislocated knee cap was on a freak play that he was recovering an onside kick.

He was healthy all season last year.

I think more than anything, I was just taken by surprise because I was expecting an OL or DB.

After I've had time to process it, I'm okay with the pick.

coach
04-29-2011, 11:43 PM
I am still waiting on someone to draft Jarrod Johnson. After all he is better than Vince Young.

Roughneck93
04-30-2011, 12:02 AM
Jerry Jones was quoted as saying that if they drafted a RB, it would be for special teams. Either way, I think The Barbarians days in Big D are over.

TheDOCTORdre
04-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by coach
I am still waiting on someone to draft Jarrod Johnson. After all he is better than Vince Young.
:doh:

injuredinmelee
05-01-2011, 12:47 AM
no defensive backs???

injuredinmelee
05-01-2011, 12:48 AM
it was like the breakfast club every week... toast was served....

Bearkat
05-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
no defensive backs???

The COWBOYS drated CB Josh Thomas from Buffalo.

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2011, 08:50 AM
So what are final thoughts on draft? Most I have read as far as grades have given Dallas anywhere from a c plus to B plus( even though draft grades are really dumb)

RoyceTTU
05-02-2011, 08:58 AM
I was really suprised the direction they went. I honestly thought going in it would be Linemen O and D, LB, DB's.

If my memory was right they went
OT
RB
OG
CB
FB
WR
C

The FB and WR really took me by suprise. Especially the FB. I'm not as versed as some on here but it makes me think that Jones/Garett have very little faith in Williams/Bryant and Choice/Barber/(cant remember name)

I really like the focus on the OL though. I just wanted to see some LB and Defensive Lineman in the mix.

Like TXB said, the draft grades are dumb, but regardless I do think the cowboys tackled some ongoing issues. I liked the direction and hope they all pan out.

RoyceTTU
05-02-2011, 09:03 AM
I was really suprised the direction they went. I honestly thought going in it would be Linemen O and D, LB, DB's.

OT
RB
OG
CB
FB
WR
C

The FB and WR really took me by suprise. Especially the FB. I'm not as versed as some on here but it makes me think that Jones/Garett have very little faith in Williams/Bryant and Choice/Barber/(cant remember name)

I really like the focus on the OL though. I just wanted to see some LB and Defensive Lineman in the mix.

Like TXB said, the draft grades are dumb, but regardless I do think the cowboys tackled some ongoing issues. I liked the direction and hope they all pan out.

I missed Bruce Carter at LB during the mess of watching it all on my phone. I like the picks more now.

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2011, 09:03 AM

OT
RB
OG
CB
FB
WR
C

Taking a FB really has nothing to do with BArber or Choice..I think they feel they have not had real strong FB play the last couple of years

The WR they took is more for possible slot, which is something they missed last year after releasing Crayton

Farmersfan
05-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Only time will tell with any of these draft picks. If these players turn out to be good then they were worth it. But none of the draft picks will matter if we don't get better play out of the veterans and better coaching out of that staff...............

Dare I get excited about next season?

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Only time will tell with any of these draft picks. If these players turn out to be good then they were worth it. But none of the draft picks will matter if we don't get better play out of the veterans and better coaching out of that staff...............

if there is a season lol..I do think there is reason to get excited..I sense a true accountability from Garrett and his staff that was not there under Phillips

RoyceTTU
05-02-2011, 09:17 AM

I am an optimist about my 5 teams I root for. Cowboys, Rangers, Red Raider, Early and Brownwood. Although I have to squint real hard to see the silver lineing at times, I can always find a reason to get excited if it is is just to forget and move on from the previous year.

I like Garret and it will be very interesting to see what he can do with a full year.

Macarthur
05-02-2011, 09:39 AM

I agree with you.

I am drinking the koolaid on Garrett.

I think the most important thing about this draft is that it looks like it has Garrett's finger prints all over it. JJ didn't get cute. It appears he let Garrett run the thing. Garrett talked about getting guys that do things the right way. Every guy they took appears to be high character and good work ethic.

Regardless of how these individual players pan out, I am very optimistic about Garrett running the show out there.

Farmersfan
05-02-2011, 10:07 AM
if there is a season lol..I do think there is reason to get excited..I sense a true accountability from Garrett and his staff that was not there under Phillips

I know the "Old" card is played with a lot of these players and a large percent of it is BS. How much of an improvement under Garrett and Ryan would you expect to see from players who really let down last season. Such as M. Jenkins and T. Newman? The older O-linemen performed way below their ability level last season. How much of that was ability decline and how much was attitude decline? I think it was almost all attitude related. So many people are dissin' the O-line when the truth is the O-line was not that bad. This O-line has been a top 10 offensive line for 4 straight years and was ranked #7 at the start of the 2010 season. The drafted players will certainly help solidify the line but I think a coaching staff that holds players accountable is the first start to improving things.

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2011, 10:18 AM
I know the "Old" card is played with a lot of these players and a large percent of it is BS. How much of an improvement under Garrett and Ryan would you expect to see from players who really let down last season. Such as M. Jenkins and T. Newman? The older O-linemen performed way below their ability level last season. How much of that was ability decline and how much was attitude decline? I think it was almost all attitude related. So many people are dissin' the O-line when the truth is the O-line was not that bad. This O-line has been a top 10 offensive line for 4 straight years and was ranked #7 at the start of the 2010 season. The drafted players will certainly help solidify the line but I think a coaching staff that holds players accountable is the first start to improving things.

This is where you and I disagree..I dont think the OL has been that good for a couple of years now..they had a real good season in 09 with RBs averaging 4.8 yards..but in 10, 08, and 07 it was 4.2 yards...good but not great...and as I have said so many times..I think Romo's mobility makes them look better in pass blocking than they were..judst look at how many sacks agianst Dallas when Romo was hurt last year and in 08( in 08 10 sacks in 3 games..while Romo was sacked 20 times in 13 games)

As far as Newman..he really did not have a bad year..in fact he was in the process of having one of his best years then injuries hit him and that IMO was his problem

As far as Jenkins..we shall see..I think he lost confidence early and never regained it. Lets see if Ryan can rebuild that.

Farmersfan
05-02-2011, 10:40 AM
This is where you and I disagree..I dont think the OL has been that good for a couple of years now..they had a real good season in 09 with RBs averaging 4.8 yards..but in 10, 08, and 07 it was 4.2 yards...good but not great...and as I have said so many times..I think Romo's mobility makes them look better in pass blocking than they were..judst look at how many sacks agianst Dallas when Romo was hurt last year and in 08( in 08 10 sacks in 3 games..while Romo was sacked 20 times in 13 games)

As far as Newman..he really did not have a bad year..in fact he was in the process of having one of his best years then injuries hit him and that IMO was his problem

As far as Jenkins..we shall see..I think he lost confidence early and never regained it. Lets see if Ryan can rebuild that.

CORRECTION: This is where you and many FOOTBALL people disagree. The O-line rankings aren't my rankings TXB. Just thought I would throw that out there. Google Offensive line rankings and you will find at least 10 sites that rank the Cowboys in the top 10 the past 4 seasons. (#7 last year). We've had this debate before and I'm not getting into it again. A player does NOT go from Pro Bowl to being a bad player in 1 season unless injuries happen. This O-line had 4 Pro Bowlers in 09'................. and 3 of them were still on the team last season. And the team overall had 8 Pro Bowlers even with a 6-10 record. The talent is here and everybody but you knows it. Hopefully Garrett and Ryan can get them to play.

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2011, 10:44 AM
CORRECTION: This is where you and many FOOTBALL people disagree. The O-line rankings aren't my rankings TXB. Just thought I would throw that out there. Google Offensive line rankings and you will find at least 10 sites that rank the Cowboys in the top 10 the past 4 seasons. (#7 last year). We've had this debate before and I'm not getting into it again. A player does NOT go from Pro Bowl to being a bad player in 1 season unless injuries happen. This O-line had 4 Pro Bowlers in 09'................. and 3 of them were still on the team last season. And the team overall had 8 Pro Bowlers even with a 6-10 record. The talent is here and everybody but you knows it. Hopefully Garrett and Ryan can get them to play.

and back when we had the discussion I showed u just as many rankings that has the Dallas O-Line ranked 13 and below..and please quit the with pro bowls, that is such a bs accolade..the fact Dallas did have 8 pro bowlers on a 6-10 season shows that Pro Bowl voting is not a valid way to say someone had a good year.

If the OL was so good why was EVERY draft "expert" saying Dallas needed to upgrade the OL in the draft?

Farmersfan
05-02-2011, 11:37 AM

If the OL was so good why was EVERY draft "expert" saying Dallas needed to upgrade the OL in the draft?

Probably the same reason EVERY draft "expert" said almost every team need offesnive line help. Look at the other team's draft needs and 75% of them are listed as needing some kind of O-line player as a priority. Dallas needed a tackle but has great TEs and very usable centers and guards. Davis is still one of the best guards in the NFL if he can be motivated. I think we will see a much improved O-line in 11' with a full offseason of Garrett getting these guys motivated. Besides, even the overpaid fatguys on the o-line have to be embarrassed about last season....

Macarthur
05-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Davis and Columbo were very poor last year.

Farmersfan
05-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Davis and Columbo were very poor last year.

Almost everybody was very poor last year! The team went 6-10. That doesn't mean you throw the whole thing out and start from scratch. This exact same team went 11-5 in 09' and because of a lack of leadership got dismantled in the playoffs by the Vikings. And they never recovered from that. Last season was almost 100% mental.

Macarthur
05-02-2011, 12:19 PM
I agree with you that I think some of it is mental.

However, you are simply not acknowledging the fact that players get old. Columbo has gotten old quickly. Davis appears to be headed that way, but if he would lose 15 to 20lbs, I think he would be okay for another year to two.

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2011, 12:50 PM
I agree with you that I think some of it is mental.

However, you are simply not acknowledging the fact that players get old. Columbo has gotten old quickly. Davis appears to be headed that way, but if he would lose 15 to 20lbs, I think he would be okay for another year to two.

Columbo is more about his knees...Bob Sturm in DMN right after the season showed he basically had the same season last year as in 09..both were pretty sub par because he has no mobility. Difference was they could hide it better in 09( one of the main reasons Witten only had 2 TDs in 09)

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2011, 12:51 PM
got dismantled in the playoffs by the Vikings. And they never recovered from that. Last season was almost 100% mental.

I say they got dismantled because the OL was terrible...nothing to do with leadership..if u can point out how it was leadership please provide the link

Farmersfan
05-02-2011, 03:38 PM
I say they got dismantled because the OL was terrible...nothing to do with leadership..if u can point out how it was leadership please provide the link

Google is your best friend TXB!

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Google is your best friend TXB!

go back and look at the thread where u posted the rankings

Bull's-eye
05-02-2011, 06:20 PM
I have to agree with Txbroadcaster, the OL has not been very good. Pro Bowl selections are becoming a joke, players from the 2 best teams don't play & many players have been declining because of injuries or lack of interest. Alternates are selected to fill the rosters and thus they become Pro Bowlers.

I don't have the stats, but Dallas has struggled to run the ball. As of late, to be successful running the ball, Dallas has been using the passing game to set up the run. Watch their short yardage situations or running plays on early downs, they really seem to struggle. I noticed more success coming on 3rd & long usually by the way of a draw play & more positive yardage after a 7 or 8 yard pass completion.

eagleqb_14
05-02-2011, 06:55 PM
who cares homo is still going to choke

Farmersfan
05-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
I have to agree with Txbroadcaster, the OL has not been very good. Pro Bowl selections are becoming a joke, players from the 2 best teams don't play & many players have been declining because of injuries or lack of interest. Alternates are selected to fill the rosters and thus they become Pro Bowlers.

I don't have the stats, but Dallas has struggled to run the ball. As of late, to be successful running the ball, Dallas has been using the passing game to set up the run. Watch their short yardage situations or running plays on early downs, they really seem to struggle. I noticed more success coming on 3rd & long usually by the way of a draw play & more positive yardage after a 7 or 8 yard pass completion.

All very good points. Nobody has argued that the O-line wasn't up to their best last season. The questions are WHY and How do we get them back there? The constant denouncing of the O-line for Dallas by a lot of fans is a little weird to me. Sure the line had issues but so did every other part of the team. I am going to try to put this O-line bashing to rest once and for all:

Dallas old and tired Offensive Line rankings for 10' with a old, immobile QB. 6-10 record on the season:

#2 in experience
#7 in Yards per Game
#7 in yards per attempt
#6 in passing yards per game
#15 in passing yards per attempt
#15 in rushing yards per attempt
#16 in rushign yards per game
#7 in TDs
#4 in passing completion percentage
#7 in points scored
#11 in total sacks given up (31)
#17 in QB hits

Power rankings: I don't really understand how these are calculated because the Cowboys O-line was pretty much in the top 10 in a lot of categories except overall power rating:

#5 in Neg yard rushes to left
#19 in Neg yard rushes to center
#7 in neg yard rushes to right
#17 in 10+yard rushes to left
#4 in 10+ yard rushes to center
#29 in 10+yard rushes to right.

#19 in power rating to left
#23 in power rating to center
#25 in power rating to right

See what I mean? The power ratings don't match the actual numbers.

Txbroadcaster
05-03-2011, 09:09 AM
All very good points. Nobody has argued that the O-line wasn't up to their best last season. The questions are WHY and How do we get them back there? The constant denouncing of the O-line for Dallas by a lot of fans is a little weird to me. Sure the line had issues but so did every other part of the team. I am going to try to put this O-line bashing to rest once and for all:

Dallas old and tired Offensive Line rankings for 10' with a old, immobile QB. 6-10 record on the season:

#2 in experience
#7 in Yards per Game
#7 in yards per attempt
#6 in passing yards per game
#15 in passing yards per attempt
#15 in rushing yards per attempt
#16 in rushign yards per game
#7 in TDs
#4 in passing completion percentage
#7 in points scored
#11 in total sacks given up (31)
#17 in QB hits

Power rankings: I don't really understand how these are calculated because the Cowboys O-line was pretty much in the top 10 in a lot of categories except overall power rating:

#5 in Neg yard rushes to left
#19 in Neg yard rushes to center
#7 in neg yard rushes to right
#17 in 10+yard rushes to left
#4 in 10+ yard rushes to center
#29 in 10+yard rushes to right.

#19 in power rating to left
#23 in power rating to center
#25 in power rating to right

See what I mean? The power ratings don't match the actual numbers.
Depends

Are they saying they were 5 best in NOT giving up negative yards? Or did they give up the 5th most negative yards gained to left side and so on..if u have link to rankings please provide

Farmersfan
05-03-2011, 09:13 AM
I very rarely ever listen to the ticket because.............well............. they all sound like TXB! :D :D sorry TXB! no offense.
But I listened this morning and they mentioned a fact that I was not really thinking of much. Dallas has spent a ton of draft picks in the last 5 seasons trying to get a ILB that is servicable in the 3-4 scheme and has failed to do so. (so far)

05': Burnett #42
06': Carpenter#18
08': Walden #167
09: Williams #69, Hodge #197
10': Sean Lee #55
11': Bruce Carter #40

Any thoughts on why the Cowboys are missing so badly at this spot? Sean lee is still a possibility.

Farmersfan
05-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Depends

Are they saying they were 5 best in NOT giving up negative yards? Or did they give up the 5th most negative yards gained to left side and so on..if u have link to rankings please provide

They had the 5th fewest rushes to that side that resulted in negative yards with 10 total for the season.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?

Farmersfan
05-03-2011, 09:18 AM
They had the 5th fewest rushes to that side that resulted in negative yards with 10 total for the season.

This one actually shows Offensive line as a stat:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=RUSHING_LEFT_STUFF&tabSeq=2&season=2010&role=TM&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=true

Txbroadcaster
05-03-2011, 09:23 AM

this is what Rush Power means..Rush Pwr = Percentage of rushes on 3rd or 4th down with 2 or fewer yards to go that achieved a first down or TD. Also includes rushes on 1st-and-goal and

Not an actual power ranking, but how they performed short yardage

Farmersfan
05-03-2011, 09:32 AM
this is what Rush Power means..Rush Pwr = Percentage of rushes on 3rd or 4th down with 2 or fewer yards to go that achieved a first down or TD. Also includes rushes on 1st-and-goal and

Not an actual power ranking, but how they performed short yardage

that makes sense. Thanks TXB

Doesn't it seem like the Right Tackle spot was much weaker than the left or center? Maybe Smith was actually drafted to fix that spot.............

Txbroadcaster
05-03-2011, 09:35 AM
I very rarely ever listen to the ticket because.............well............. they all sound like TXB! :D :D sorry TXB! no offense.
But I listened this morning and they mentioned a fact that I was not really thinking of much. Dallas has spent a ton of draft picks in the last 5 seasons trying to get a ILB that is servicable in the 3-4 scheme and has failed to do so. (so far)

Any thoughts on why the Cowboys are missing so badly at this spot? Sean lee is still a possibility.

how do they sound like me?!?1 lol

on ILB I agree..the Parcells pick of Carpenter IMO created that vaccum and Dallas has tried to fix it and have not..BUT I do like Lee and I think Carter can be good as well

Farmersfan
05-03-2011, 09:40 AM
how do they sound like me?!?1 lol

on ILB I agree..the Parcells pick of Carpenter IMO created that vaccum and Dallas has tried to fix it and have not..BUT I do like Lee and I think Carter can be good as well

According the Ticket with TXB....oh, scratch that! According to the Ticket this morning they were saying carter was a sideline to sideline guy but he was not known for being physical and taking on blocks. Isn't that pretty much Carpenter in a nutshell? In a 3-4 the LB will have to take on O-linemen that get to the second level and a non-physical LB doesn't stand a chance (ie Carpenter). I will keep my fingers crossed. The Cowboys need to catch lightening in a bottle on Smith and Carter.............

Txbroadcaster
05-03-2011, 09:44 AM
According the Ticket with TXB....oh, scratch that! According to the Ticket this morning they were saying carter was a sideline to sideline guy but he was not known for being physical and taking on blocks. Isn't that pretty much Carpenter in a nutshell? In a 3-4 the LB will have to take on O-linemen that get to the second level and a non-physical LB doesn't stand a chance (ie Carpenter). I will keep my fingers crossed. The Cowboys need to catch lightening in a bottle on Smith and Carter.............

Butch Davis has said they did not want Carter to take on blocks at UNC, they wanted to use his speed more..we shall see if he can become physical

Bull's-eye
05-03-2011, 10:55 AM

Burnett & Carpenter were more OLB's, Hodge has been limited because of injuries. Burnett is actually not a bad player, but went to another team. Bradie James has been a very good player for a 4th round pick.

Bruce Carter will help this team with his pass coverage skills. Carter was a former safety that has great speed for a LB. We have to think about all those plays where Brooking was getting beat on passing downs. :thinking:

Macarthur
05-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Burnett & Carpenter were more OLB's, Hodge has been limited because of injuries. Burnett is actually not a bad player, but went to another team. Bradie James has been a very good player for a 4th round pick.

Bruce Carter will help this team with his pass coverage skills. Carter was a former safety that has great speed for a LB. We have to think about all those plays where Brooking was getting beat on passing downs. :thinking:

You're right.

Burnett was a pretty good player - Good pick
Carp - Bad pick but he was more of an OLB when they drafted him.
Hodge was a 7th rounder - I don't think that's fair to even put a 7th rounder on a list like this.

James has been a very good 3rd round pick.

Lee showed signs late last year of being a playmaker.

Williams is the one that really hurts. He was a Wade guy - Supposidly Wade really wanted him. :(

I think Carter has a chance to be a beast.

And everyone needs to remember that when you run a 3-4, I almost have to draft LBers every year. At any point in time, a 3-4 team will HAVE to have 8-10 Lbers on the roster .

BILLYFRED0000
05-03-2011, 12:54 PM
I think overall the boys did ok on the draft. I expect the coaching changes and attitude changes to have as much impact on the boys as the new players. And I doubt that Jason is done yet. Probably going to be watching the trading block when the lockout is finished.

bolshavik
05-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Who wants to bet ole Marty B is out the door pretty quick??

coach
05-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by bolshavik

Who wants to bet you are out the door pretty quick with your ignorant posts?

Macarthur
05-03-2011, 02:08 PM

They'll keep him because he's got talent and he's cheap. However, I think he's entering the last year of his contract and he most likely will not be resigned.

Bull's-eye
05-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Marty B may be the Cowboys best blocking TE, but he hasn't provided the receiving production most of us expected. A former basketball star, with great leaping ability, should do a better job of being a more productive receiver. In his defense, the Cowboys has asked him to do a lot of the blocking, which allows Witten to be the primary receiving TE.

Txbroadcaster
05-04-2011, 08:50 AM
that makes sense. Thanks TXB

Doesn't it seem like the Right Tackle spot was much weaker than the left or center? Maybe Smith was actually drafted to fix that spot.............

Columbo was a problem..I like his grit, but he cant really move..which is one reason I think they drafted Smith, they want to be more athletic on the line..to many times over the last couple of years the Dallas OL was very stiff and did not move well in space

Bull's-eye
05-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Smith was drafted to help the problem at right tackle, either by playing that position or taking over at LT & allowing Free to man the right side. Most people think that Smith will start out on the right side, but has the ability to be a LT. I remember when Free took over at RT, the Cowboys seemed to be very strong at running the ball to that side. I'm sure Dallas would love to have Free on the right side again, but won't chance that move until Smith proves to be a solid "blind-side" protector.

bolshavik
05-04-2011, 12:40 PM
could Colombo maybe just maybe assist at guard??

Macarthur
05-04-2011, 12:57 PM

As much as I love Columbo's attitude and fire, he's done.

Bull's-eye
05-04-2011, 05:08 PM

Also, heard that the Colombo is due a $2.5 million signing bonus. Don't think he will be on the 2011 roster unless something changes with the new CBA.

One note, Free & Kosier are free agents. Look for Dallas to spend some money on Free, but go another route with their LG position. David Arkin (4th rd pick) could possibly be an option or there has been some talk about moving Gurode to guard.

Farmersfan
05-05-2011, 10:43 AM
There has been a lot talk on talk radio lately and a bunch of it is saying that Murray will likely replace Felix as the starting RB for Dallas. I know nothing about him and was not even considering the possibility that Dallas might pick him. Anyone want to speak up in favor of Murray or against him?

Bull's-eye
05-05-2011, 11:53 AM
There has been a lot talk on talk radio lately and a bunch of it is saying that Murray will likely replace Felix as the starting RB for Dallas. I know nothing about him and was not even considering the possibility that Dallas might pick him. Anyone want to speak up in favor of Murray or against him?

I like Murray, a very productive player in college, even had more career yards than Petersen. He scored like 65 career TD's & was very good on 3rd down. Murray has shown to be a very good receiver & does an excellent job blocking for the QB. One knock may be that he struggled some staying healthy. Murray was once considered a first round back, but injuries & the decreased value of drafting RB's, allowed him to fall to the 3rd round. IMO, he could be quite a steal & my favorite pick of the 8 players selected by the Cowboys.

Quietly, the Cowboys weren't happy with their RB's. Felix had recently bulked up and seemed to lose some of his quickness. Look for him to shed those extra pounds & hopefully regain the explosiveness from 2009.

I think Felix will be given every opportunity to start, with Murray playing the role of a 3rd down back. Murray has a great knack for finding the endzone, so look for him to play in redzone packages. Bottom line, if Felix doesn't up his game, Murray could possibly take over as the number one back.