PDA

View Full Version : Why do we have state testing? Think I got an answer!

Ernest T Bass
04-29-2011, 12:11 AM
According to a former member of Perry's staff, the state government does not tust the local superintendents and school boards to honestly report the education taking place in their schools.

There is some truth to that. As in known instances of principals changing grades to keep star athletes on the filed or court(Dallas Carter, anyone?) and of poor performing schools that fudged the numbers.

The testing is not helping schoools or kids, it is becoming a dreaded tool to keep schools in line. Teachers must "prove" they are teaching.

But, the fact remains that you cannot teach those who are not there, who are disruptive, who do not care, and who's parents won't see to it that these issues are tended to.

GrTigers6
04-29-2011, 05:01 AM
your absolutely right,

XMan
04-29-2011, 06:10 AM
"your" absolutely right. This is why we have the testing, cause people dont know the difference between your, and you're. Not only do they not know the difference, but they sure dont know how to use them.

GrTigers6
04-29-2011, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by XMan
"your" absolutely right. This is why we have the testing, cause people dont know the difference between your, and you're. Not only do they not know the difference, but they sure dont know how to use them. I know the difference but didnt know i had to be grammatically correct in a sports forum, EXCUSE ME:D

garciap77
04-29-2011, 07:39 AM
To make money!

Farmersfan
04-29-2011, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
According to a former member of Perry's staff, the state government does not tust the local superintendents and school boards to honestly report the education taking place in their schools.

There is some truth to that. As in known instances of principals changing grades to keep star athletes on the filed or court(Dallas Carter, anyone?) and of poor performing schools that fudged the numbers.

The testing is not helping schoools or kids, it is becoming a dreaded tool to keep schools in line. Teachers must "prove" they are teaching.

But, the fact remains that you cannot teach those who are not there, who are disruptive, who do not care, and who's parents won't see to it that these issues are tended to.

I'm thinking very few people outside of Government would disagree with you on this one ETB. You have a lot of ideas and opinions that probably would solve a lot of the problems in today's education. If you could organize ALL teachers/administrators into a lobbing force these rules would be changed in a heartbeat. The legislators simply do what they have been told is the best thing for everyone involved. The problem is usually it's the WRONG people telling them the WRONG things. Get involved in politics! I'm sure you could get enough support to get some changes happening. You have my vote...........

raider red 2000
04-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I'm thinking very few people outside of Government would disagree with you on this one ETB. You have a lot of ideas and opinions that probably would solve a lot of the problems in today's education. If you could organize ALL teachers/administrators into a lobbing force these rules would be changed in a heartbeat.

organizing teachers to follow a certain political agenda would be a task. I have heard that educators vote less ofton than any other group of professionals.

Farmersfan
04-29-2011, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
organizing teachers to follow a certain political agenda would be a task. I have heard that educators vote less ofton than any other group of professionals.

Just like any other group unfortunately. And that is why we get stuck with these stupid rules...............:( :(

tog
04-29-2011, 12:57 PM
I know the difference between cause and because

i also know the difference between internet forum typing and

formal/technical writing

soooooo

Teachers
And
Kids
Suffer

Phil C
04-29-2011, 02:52 PM
"your" absolutely right. This is why we have the testing, cause people dont know the difference between your, and you're. Not only do they not know the difference, but they sure dont know how to use them.

YOUR KIDDING!!

:eek: :(

sinfan75
04-29-2011, 08:19 PM
"your" absolutely right. This is why we have the testing, cause people dont know the difference between your, and you're. Not only do they not know the difference, but they sure dont know how to use them. So what's the difference between dont and don't? :D Don't criticize people on a forum for spelling until you check your own.:D :p :clap:

RiverRat19
04-30-2011, 01:53 PM
"Accountability" which is the driving force behind the emphasis on standardized testing and other tools used to rate schools has hurt students IMO.

Critical thinking and skills like grammar, time management, being able to look for work and fill out a job application are not emphasized enough today because... of testing. It matters less that a student can take information and make critical evaluations than it does if he/she can learn the tricks needed to pass the test at the end of the year.

Plus teachers have a harder time today due to discipline procedures and methods that have been watered down. The overly litigious society we have today and the fear districts and administrators have for the legal expenses "sticking to their guns" can often times cause them has influenced policies to be softer than in the past. The sue happy parents (which could be anyone today) want to point the finger at the schools as to why little Johnny or Susie isn't learning versus taking ownership of their own child's success and trying to be part of the solution.

Add in the fact that school ratings systems give negative marks for office referrals, which takes another bullet out of the gun for teachers, we end up with students who are less motivated and less able to achieve because we have allowed them to be that way.

Why? Because it today it doesn't matter how prepared students are to go out in the "real world" and be successful, it just matters how well they did on the various tests they were required to take. SOME teachers try to instill needed skills and knowledge to students WHILE getting them prepared to

No wonder so many companies want to take the jobs they have overseas. Unless the job they are hiring for is test taking, they can find the same level of skill from people in other countries who will work for pennies on the dollar versus Americans.

And who's fault is that?... Politicians. Let educators run education, not elected officials who generally have great intentions but ultimately goof it up because they are influenced by those who aren't authorities in the field they are trying to improve...

cr180t
04-30-2011, 02:55 PM

Thought it was ur. Lol

injuredinmelee
05-01-2011, 12:35 AM
pReAcH On BrUtHa... isnt this how the dumb ass kids the parents of todays world are turning out communicate???