PDA

View Full Version : Best BBQ Pits

Bullaholic
04-28-2011, 11:08 AM
It's prime BBQ time of the year---what kind of pit(s) you use?
I know some of you have got some real rigs....I remember seeing some pics of ESPN1's nice rig on here...

I've got a 3-burner Weber propane and a big Old Tyme cast-iron smoker, plus a turkey/fish fryer/boiler rig.....I'm going to try to wear them all out over the next few months.

STANG RED
04-28-2011, 11:11 AM
I'll come help you wear em out! :D

I'll even bring you some good ol West Texas mesquite.;)

nobogey72
04-28-2011, 11:39 AM
I've got a smoker and also got a Big Green Egg. Everybody was bragging on their Eggs and I got talked into it. Unless I'm doing a bunch of something I'll use the Egg everytime. The only downside is that you can't get a whole lot of meat on them.

Bearkat
04-28-2011, 11:43 AM
I use the traditional smoker with a fire box on the end. I use mesquite and oak to do my cooking.

bolshavik
04-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Ive got a smoker, need to buy a bigger one though and will this summer... What kind of wood is yalls favorite. Mine is Pecan mmmm...mmmmm

BaseballUmp
04-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I'll come help you wear em out! :D

I'll even bring you some good ol West Texas mesquite.;)

It burns a lot slower I hear. Prolly only need like 3 logs for a brisket huh lol

Me and my dad bought one my junior year of high school and did like 10 cookoffs then I got too busy with baseball and football offseason and we kind of put it on the back burner( pun intended)

Now the tires are flat and its a mess. Maybe we can clean it up this summer and put it to use again

Old Tiger
04-28-2011, 12:24 PM
You can never go wrong with the New Braunfels brand pits IMO.

Old Tiger
04-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by bolshavik
Ive got a smoker, need to buy a bigger one though and will this summer... What kind of wood is yalls favorite. Mine is Pecan mmmm...mmmmm I mix hickory and pecan.

Mesquite is what newbs use IMO.

Gsquared
04-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Im takin tomorrow off and gonna smoke a big brisket and sip shiner! Old smoker!

Old Tiger
04-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Im takin tomorrow off and gonna smoke a big brisket and sip shiner! Old smoker! Where you live these days I will try to be there!

BaseballUmp
04-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Tiger you ever find anyone with a speaker cooler?

Old Tiger
04-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Tiger you ever find anyone with a speaker cooler? no....the only person I know with one is 6 hours away.

Gsquared
04-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Where you live these days I will try to be there!
Austin Ranch, on the boarders of Frisco, Plano and The Colony. Stop on by!

Old Tiger
04-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Austin Ranch, on the boarders of Frisco, Plano and The Colony. Stop on by! About 2 hours from Waco?

bolshavik
04-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Old Tiger----

Ive done mostly mesquite and or Pecan...Never done hickory.

Give me a rundown of why you like to mix hickory & pecan please

Old Tiger
04-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Old Tiger----

Ive done mostly mesquite and or Pecan...Never done hickory.

Give me a rundown of why you like to mix hickory & pecan please use big logs of hickory because it burns slow and smaller pecan....also helps to have a damper built between your fire box and pit.

Bullaholic
04-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Anybody ever steam their briskets with beer? Works great and sure helps with the tenderizing---if there's any left....:D

Old Tiger
04-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Anybody ever steam their briskets with beer? Works great and sure helps with the tenderizing---if there's any left....:D Remind me to slap you in the face for committing this crime upon meat if I ever meet you.

bolshavik
04-28-2011, 12:37 PM
OK.. For guys that would like to...share your best Briskett cooking technique from start to finish please.

BaseballUmp
04-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Never used beer directly on the meat like that, although we do usually pour some in the sop

Old Tiger
04-28-2011, 12:38 PM
OK.. For guys that would like to...share your best Briskett cooking technique from start to finish please. If I told you it wouldn't be a secret and I make a damn good brisket, ribs, and BBQ sauce.

Bullaholic
04-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Remind me to slap you in the face for committing this crime upon meat if I ever meet you.

It's kinda like sex, OT ---don't knock it til' you've tried it...:D

And I thought I met you at the LH-Bridgeport playoff game M&G in Waco a couple of years ago.

Old Tiger
04-28-2011, 12:40 PM
It's kinda like sex, OT ---don't knock it til' you've tried it...:D

And I thought I met you at the LH-Bridgeport playoff game M&G in Waco a couple of years ago. Sorry I was a little intoxicated...lol.

But remind me next time i see you to do what I said I was going to do when I meet you but because I already have that is no longer the issue. lol

STANG RED
04-28-2011, 12:42 PM
I mix hickory and pecan.

Mesquite is what newbs use IMO.

Lots of cookoffs won using mesquite my friend. And besides I can get cords and cords of it, right off of Dad's ranch. I'd be stupid not to use it. But I do also save my pruned branches from my pecan trees, and mix them in. Especially if I'm doing a long smoke. Anything quick (steaks, fish, burgers), I just use mesquite. I like hickory as well, but cant find much in this part of the country, and I'm not about to buy it, with all the free mesquite at my disposal.

Bullaholic
04-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Sorry I was a little intoxicated...lol.

But remind me next time i see you to do what I said I was going to do when I meet you but because I already have that is no longer the issue. lol

LOL---If I remember you correctly---you better put on a few pounds first...:D

Old Tiger
04-28-2011, 12:44 PM
LOL---If I remember you correctly---you better put on a few pounds first...:D Well I was probably a 165 then....I'm about 180 now. lol

Whatever happened to that QB and WR yall had that year?

bolshavik
04-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Oak is pretty good to use as well. Anybody like oak?

Old Tiger
04-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Oak is pretty good to use as well. Anybody like oak? I use it sometimes because its the only thing I can find for free. It cooks good.

rholl
04-28-2011, 12:48 PM
IMO hickory and pecan very similar....pecan easier to get here....but gotta admit in limited use I think I like the hickory a little better. I think I have one or two smoker pics but dont know how to post em up on here!

BaseballUmp
04-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by rholl
IMO hickory and pecan very similar....pecan easier to get here....but gotta admit in limited use I think I like the hickory a little better. I think I have one or two smoker pics but dont know how to post em up on here! :smoker:

bolshavik
04-28-2011, 12:51 PM
OK.. For guys that would like to...share your best Briskett cooking technique from start to finish please.

T-Time
04-28-2011, 12:56 PM
oak coals with smaller mesquit on top of the oak. get a good smoke ring around the meat and put it in an insulated ice chest and let it finish cooking its self.

Gsquared
04-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by T-Time
oak coals with smaller mesquit on top of the oak. get a good smoke ring around the meat and put it in an insulated ice chest and let it finish cooking its self.
Ive never heard of anyone doing this with an ice chest but it actually sounds like a pretty good idea!

rholl
04-28-2011, 01:03 PM
http://s430.photobucket.com/albums/qq22/rholl_2008/?action=view&current=smoker.jpg

RoyceTTU
04-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by rholl
http://s430.photobucket.com/albums/qq22/rholl_2008/?action=view&current=smoker.jpg

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq22/rholl_2008/smoker.jpg

bolshavik
04-28-2011, 01:09 PM
RoyceTTU

now, thats a Pit

rholl
04-28-2011, 01:09 PM
thanx Royce

STANG RED
04-28-2011, 01:11 PM
it would take too long to go through my entire routine, but here is a step most people dont do, but makes a huge difference.
After cooking, wrap it in heavy duty foil and a nice thick towel. Drop it in a cooler for about and hour to let it rest. This will let all the juices soak back throughout the whole brisket.
Nothing i hate more than dry brisket. You can cook one perfectly, but cut it too quick and lose all the juice. You just wasted a whole day.

Old LB
04-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Been building pits for about 15 years now, have actually gotten to a point where I can cook a decent brisket. I use a combination of oak and mesquite, cook time depends on the time available. If I have the time I prefer a 12 hr. cook time.

My pit is 26"x 5'6" smoker with a 2'x3' box on the opposite side for grilling. Built the bigger grill so we could cook for the bigger crowds.

May 7th we will be selling brisket sandwiches for the cheerleader relay for life fundraiser, across the street from Gomez resturant (Old Paint and Body Shop) come have a taste.

Old LB
04-28-2011, 01:21 PM
it would take too long to go through my entire routine, but here is a step most people dont do, but makes a huge difference.
After cooking, wrap it in heavy duty foil and a nice thick towel. Drop it in a cooler for about and hour to let it rest. This will let all the juices soak back throughout the whole brisket.
Nothing i hate more than dry brisket. You can cook one perfectly, but cut it too quick and lose all the juice. You just wasted a whole day.

:2thumbsup

Bullaholic
04-28-2011, 01:22 PM
1. 3-4 hours on the smoker at 250deg.

2. Put in boiler pan, add 1 beer, cover with HD foil and cook on pit or in oven until tender. Usually takes 3-4 more hours at 250deg.

Gsquared
04-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Old LB
Been building pits for about 15 years now, have actually gotten to a point where I can cook a decent brisket. I use a combination of oak and mesquite, cook time depends on the time available. If I have the time I prefer a 12 hr. cook time.

My pit is 26"x 5'6" smoker with a 2'x3' box on the opposite side for grilling. Built the bigger grill so we could cook for the bigger crowds.

May 7th we will be selling brisket sandwiches for the cheerleader relay for life fundraiser, across the street from Gomez resturant (Old Paint and Body Shop) come have a taste.
OLB, would you make me one for the right price? I want a custom job!

bolshavik
04-28-2011, 01:40 PM
I guess I am asking yall what yall like to do to get your briskett ready to put on the grill and what you do after taking it off..You know the stuff you think really makes the difference

Bullaholic
04-28-2011, 01:44 PM
I guess I am asking yall what yall like to do to get your briskett ready to put on the grill and what you do after taking it off..You know the stuff you think really makes the difference

1.. I rub mine with brown sugar, garlic salt, pepper and Carribean Jerk seasoning. I don't use sauce at all during cooking.

2. Let the brisket sit for an hour or 2 and slice with electric knife.

Old Tiger
04-28-2011, 01:45 PM
I guess I am asking yall what yall like to do to get your briskett ready to put on the grill and what you do after taking it off..You know the stuff you think really makes the difference Before and during

http://unitedpackageliquors.com/catalog/images/Michelob%20Ultra%2012pk%20Btls%20WEB.jpg

after

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ICeGkogX--c/TXKkr9LxVpI/AAAAAAAAAvA/Ho8Tkm7JD0g/s1600/Crown%2526Coke.jpg

;)

Old LB
04-28-2011, 01:46 PM
OLB, would you make me one for the right price? I want a custom job!

I will build you a custom pit yes, I do not know anything about a custom job. :D

Old LB
04-28-2011, 01:50 PM

People ask all the time, what pit is the best, what style cooking is the best, what spices. Really does not matter the pit, consistant temps. and the right temps for your cooking times is the most important. I have seen guys win cook-offs with a standard metal trash can for a pit.

Gsquared
04-28-2011, 01:52 PM
I will build you a custom pit yes, I do not know anything about a custom job. :D
Sweet! I'll PM you when im ready to give you the green light!!!!!

Old LB
04-28-2011, 05:16 PM
http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oGdSKA5rlNgxoAVIlXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0cW02OTd zBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkA1FJMDE3XzE5N Q--/SIG=11d1ugok9/EXP=1304050400/**http%3a//texasbbqforum.com/

Check out this site for bbq tips.

Bullaholic
04-28-2011, 05:18 PM

(Pssst, LB----Don't take a check ;) )

Old LB
04-28-2011, 05:21 PM
(Pssst, LB----Don't take a check ;) )

Cash only, big brother is watching us all. :D

SintonFan
04-28-2011, 09:37 PM
It's prime BBQ time of the year---what kind of pit(s) you use?
I know some of you have got some real rigs....I remember seeing some pics of ESPN1's nice rig on here...

I've got a 3-burner Weber propane and a big Old Tyme cast-iron smoker, plus a turkey/fish fryer/boiler rig.....I'm going to try to wear them all out over the next few months.

Get one made out of a used/condemned propane tank and you can't wear it out(in a few months).
Trust me.
I know.
I'm a doctor...
when it comes to propane tanks.:D

BTW, I do have a few extra 150 and 250 gallons tanks...:nerd:

LH Panther Mom
04-28-2011, 09:49 PM
I got lhpd a smoker for Christmas. It's not a big fancy "rig" but it's perfect for the family.

He made a bunch of slits throughout a brisket and a pork loin (10-lber lol) and stuffed the slits with garlic cloves. He had some recipe from years ago, for the brisket. I know he mixed vinegar, Worcestershire and I think brown sugar...may have been something else too. He stuffed the brisket back in the original bag with the mixture and let it marinade 24-hours. Other than maybe a little rub before putting it in the smoker, he didn't use anything else.

I think we need to buy a hunk-o-meat and get to smoking again!

Old LB
04-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Get one made out of a used/condemned propane tank and you can't wear it out(in a few months).
Trust me.
I know.
I'm a doctor...
when it comes to propane tanks.:D

BTW, I do have a few extra 150 and 250 gallons tanks...:nerd:

I quit using the propane tanks a few years ago, had one that shot out a big flame when I cut into it. Been using pipe since then. We always filled them with water and let them set for a month or so and then cut'em.

Gsquared
04-28-2011, 10:41 PM
(Pssst, LB----Don't take a check ;) ) . Hey wait, I really don't have any money but I have like two boxes of checks

SintonFan
04-28-2011, 11:13 PM
I quit using the propane tanks a few years ago, had one that shot out a big flame when I cut into it. Been using pipe since then. We always filled them with water and let them set for a month or so and then cut'em.

It is recommended to fill them up with water like that and set them aside for at least three months. Propane WILL impregnate into the steel wall, so it is best to give the soaking more time.
Luckily, these have been sitting out for some time.

STANG RED
04-28-2011, 11:15 PM

I always just run a hose from my pickup exhaust into a propane tank before cutting it. I'm still here to tell about it, so I guess it worked.:D

SintonFan
04-28-2011, 11:42 PM
I always just run a hose from my pickup exhaust into a propane tank before cutting it. I'm still here to tell about it, so I guess it worked.:D

I have heard about that. lol
If you go with a gas it is best to use nitrogen.
Keep in mind, I don't recommend cutting into any used tank without properly purging it.