PDA

View Full Version : Chickens and dogs don't mix.....

Cam
04-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Well, anyone got any solutions for me? For the second time, our yellow lab has escaped her side of the property and killed all our chickens. My 11 year old is pretty upset. He's in 4H. This time around she got in the chicken coup and killed all 30 chicks (pullets). It must have been a crazy night cause there were birds all over the place. Poor little gals, they must have been runnin' like hell... :(
I was about ready to shoot the dog.....

Bullaholic
04-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Cam
Well, anyone got any solutions for me? For the second time, our yellow lab has escaped her side of the property and killed all our chickens. My 11 year old is pretty upset. He's in 4H. This time around she got in the chicken coup and killed all 30 chicks (pullets). It must have been a crazy night cause there were birds all over the place. Poor little gals, they must have been runnin' like hell... :(

Best solution I ever found for this is to go to the farm supply or building supply and buy a small fence charger, wire, T-posts and T-post insulators. Run the wire about 6" off the ground thru the insulators from T-post to T-post and plug up the fence charger and turn it on. After the dog gets hit a couple of times, she will stay away from the wire. The voltage is not high enough to harm the dog, but it sure will "sting" her.

Put the wire across the top of the fence if she is climbing over.

RoyceTTU
Originally posted by Cam
Well, anyone got any solutions for me?

Originally posted by Cam

:thinking: :thinking:

Farmersfan
Originally posted by Cam

If it were me I would get rid of the dog. Get one as a pup and raise it around the chickens. I don't know if this lab is a investment (hunting/breeding) animal but if not dogs are a dime a dozen. You can pick up labs every day at the pound.

Ranger Mom
04-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
If it were me I would get rid of the dog. Get one as a pup and raise it around the chickens. I don't know if this lab is a investment (hunting/breeding) animal but if not dogs are a dime a dozen. You can pick up labs every day at the pound.

I wonder if the lab is a beloved long time pet? There is no way I could just give up a pet like that....even if they are a dime a dozen!

Cam....you aren't seriously thinking about shooting your dog, are you??:eek:

Farmersfan
04-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I wonder if the lab is a beloved long time pet? There is no way I could just give up a pet like that....even if they are a dime a dozen!

So the NEXT dog wouldn't also be a beloved pet? Just kidding..... If the kids are attached to the dog then it would be hard but killing chickens is something that is hard to break in a dog once they start doing it.

Ranger Mom
04-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
So the NEXT dog wouldn't also be a beloved pet? Just kidding..... If the kids are attached to the dog then it would be hard but killing chickens is something that is hard to break in a dog once they start doing it.

I agree! Personally, I just wouldn't have chickens. But, I don't have kids in 4-H either.

Cam
04-28-2011, 10:05 AM

No, I couldn't do that..she really is an awesome dog. Just likes killing birds....

MUSTANG69
04-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Teach the dog to pluck the chickens after she kills them. Then all you have to do is fry them up.:D

AP Panther Fan
04-28-2011, 10:40 AM
I agree! Personally, I just wouldn't have chickens. But, I don't have kids in 4-H either.

Same here. Raise a pig, goat, steer or something that has a fighting chance.

Poor little chicks.:(

greendawg84
04-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Old school soloution my dad used to do. Next time he does it take and wire one of the dead chickens to his collar for a week or so. Didnt say it was right but it did work. Dog would not even get close to a chicken after that.

RoyceTTU
04-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by greendawg84
Old school soloution my dad used to do. Next time he does it take and wire one of the dead chickens to his collar for a week or so. Didnt say it was right but it did work. Dog would not even get close to a chicken after that.

LOL, wow a little barbaric but a dang good idea. :thinking:

STANG RED
04-28-2011, 11:22 AM
You might try some of these.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_can_you_train_a_dog_not_to_kill_Chickens

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_train_dog_not_to_kill_chickens

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090202135903AA6YyeH

http://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?p=train+dogs+not+to+kill+chickens

http://www.kountrylife.com/cgi-bin/topic.cgi?bd=forum&th=7217

It's amazing what you can find on the internet.;)

Cam
04-28-2011, 11:23 AM

yep, I've heard that works too. maybe that's the answer....

AP Panther Fan
04-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Cam
yep, I've heard that works too. maybe that's the answer....

I guess you don't plan on going near the dog for a week or so as well? yuk.

Ranger Mom
04-28-2011, 11:40 AM

I thought about posting that same thing. Never did it with a dead animal, but had 2 different dogs, one chewed a purse strap and my dad made that dog drag that purse around for a week.

Same thing with a newspaper, dog chewed it up, dad spanked her with it then made her wear it for a week or so.

Neither dog ever touched those items again....poor dogs, neither one of them stood over 8 inches off the ground, so the one who chewed the purse was tripping over it every time he walked.

greendawg84
04-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I guess you don't plan on going near the dog for a week or so as well? yuk.

That is the one downside of this method for sure , but like I said it worked.