PDA

View Full Version : Grandstand Questions....

Bullaholic
04-27-2011, 11:49 AM
O.k., here's some grandstand coach questions:

1. Why don't HS coaches throw over the middle more, i.e, post patterns, etc.? Seems like nearly everything down the field is thrown to the sideline.

2. Why do a lot of HS DB's never look back at the ball when defending the pass? How do receivers get 10-15yds behind the safeties a lot when they know a receiver is fast?

3. Seems like HS LB's don't pass protect that much, so why aren't they blitzed more to stop both the run and the pass?

4. Why do HS teams get beat so badly a lot on outside running plays and long KO returns when the returner hits the sideline?
Seems like everybody in the stadium knows where the runner is headed and nobody out of 11 players can get there in time?

GrTigers6
04-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

1. Why don't HS coaches throw over the middle more, i.e, post patterns, etc.? Seems like nearly everything down the field is thrown to the sideline.

2. Why do a lot of HS DB's never look back at the ball when defending the pass? How do receivers get 10-15yds behind the safeties a lot when they know a receiver is fast?

3. Seems like HS LB's don't pass protect that much, so why aren't they blitzed more to stop both the run and the pass?

4. Why do HS teams get beat so badly a lot on outside running plays and long KO returns when the returner hits the sideline?
Seems like everybody in the stadium knows where the runner is headed and nobody out of 11 players can get there in time? Alot of our passes are down the middle. catch them right over the safeties and then its off to the races.
DB's are taught these days to watch the eyes of the reciever and react to that, personally i like the old way of going up when the reciever reaches for the ball. But my two sons who both play corner like the new way better, so maybe its a new school method because the old method doesnt work in todays speedy football :thinking:
And on the outside running, my guess is that with so many different formations, diferent people are responsible for the outside containment and either forget that part or didnt hear the formation to begin with.
Just my non educated opinion :D

RoyceTTU
04-27-2011, 11:58 AM

Seems like everybody in the stadium knows where the runner is headed and nobody out of 11 players can get there in time?

I'm no coach but I'll take a stab since I'm a Grandstander
1. Many HS QB's can't see over the linemen therefore don't have enough confidence to make a short pass. Plus there are just more people through the middle during the start of the play. Some QB's lack the patience to see the lanes or their OL can't produce the time.

2. Technique - the ones that go to the next level do. The rest are just your everyday HS player. And some WR are just flat out faster than the DB

3. I think they protect, just not that well. My cousin was MLB last year, he was good at getting in the way of the ball but other than that couldn't catch the ball. Also, just the mere precesne of a body can deter a QB to look elsewhere.

4. Ofton the RB is the fastest and best athlete you have. They can typically get to the sideline much faster than the LB's and just run over or through the CB.

As I said they are all guesses I just pulled out. Have fun:D

OldBison75
04-27-2011, 03:44 PM
1. In the high school game, the passing game is not usually a read and react type game. The QB may only have two options to pass to and coaches try to put those two receivers in the same "field of vision" for the QB. Also, the spread offense has taken the tight end out of the game for the most part. Therefore, the linebackers are playing the pass from the inside out and forcing patterns to be designed to try to beat the underneath coverage to the outside. Another factor is that by running outside routes, if the QB has to pull it down and run, he has more open space in the middle of the field to run if he can break through the rush.

2. The techniques taught to DB's now have them watching the eyes of the defender and they are not taught to look for the ball until they see the receivers eyes get big and start to reach for the ball. When I was in high school, my coaches taught us to watch the receivers hips, as he said, where the hips go the body goes. We were also taught to always play the outside receivers inside out and force them to the sidelines since that was like having another defender. As for getting behind the safeties, that is just a product of safeties not playing the position correctly and reading their keys wrong. A safety should always be the deepest person in the backfield when the pass is thrown.

3. Most HS LB's do a decent job of pass protection in the systems they play in. The LB's are generally responsible for an area, not a man, and as a result appear out of position alot. Plus, LB's are often given responsibility to be "Spies" on the top threats in the backfield of the opposition first and pass cover responsibilities are limited.

4. Refer to answer #1. When the outside coverage personnel are looking at the receivers eyes, they are not seeing the plays develop. By the time they are engaged in the play and being blocked, they are already 15 yards down field and out of the play. Likewise, on kickoffs and returns, each person has a lane they are responsible for and never know where the ball has been kicked until they are already at a bad angle to pursue the runner. The best coverage teams have the outside lanes crash into the runner from their lanes and the interior coverage is more controlled until the runner commits to a running lane. Generally, poor tackling causes more long returns than poor coverage.

RoyceTTU
04-28-2011, 11:03 AM
BUMP!!!

Any more opinions, this one interested me?

BEAST
04-28-2011, 11:13 AM

This last year we threw a deep post a lot. Jaxon and Luke could both split the safeties and make plays.

Most DBs are not good enough to be in a position to look back. In most cases, they are hauling arse to catch up to the WR.

With the Spread taking over, you usually have a pretty mobile QB. If the LBs blitzed itwould leave the middle wide open and the Qb could simply run and get 10-15 yards at will.

Outside running plays can be hard to deal with. The DE or OLB have to hold containment. However, if they dont read the play quick enough, the are getting blocked. They must read it quickly and run to sidelines forcing the back up field. Most cant read soon enough.

As for kick returns, I honestly dont think most coaches spend enough time on special teams. Then, if you have a kid like Jaxon back there, it dont much matter.

BEAST

Bullaholic
04-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Enjoyed all the replies, so far. They pretty much parallel my thoughts, and I know most coaches are aware of these problems, but getting kids to do as they say is a real challenge sometimes.

Another observation---Why do some coaches stray from their game plans so early? Several games I have seen teams running the ball and gashing the opponent for good yards on nearly every play, but if they get a TD or so down in the 2nd half, they just start throwing the ball maybe 2 or 3 times in a series---even for less than 10 yards for a firstdown situations.

BEAST
04-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Depends on the flow of the game. If a running team is behind in the second half, the grind it out scheme starts to work against you. Especially if the opposing team is able to score quickly.

BEAST

BILLYFRED0000
04-28-2011, 11:32 AM
simple version

1 2 3 are technique scheme related and all coaches have their preferences.

4 is failure of your outside contain both on d and on special teams. You have to be disciplined in your position and your lanes.
For example. running a 5 3 your standing de's cannot get tangled up in the line blocking and your corners have to stand where they can face the receiver and see the backfield. (this is on a two receiver set). Your d tackles have to hit their gaps hard to control the o line to prevent the combo block and allow the linebackers to flow to the ball. If your gappers are good they also make some plays. That keeps outside contain. So it is a matter of proper technique and proper position. One of many mistakes made is improper alignment where the line is not shading correctly or the linebackers are inside too much. makes it easier to turn and seal for the O. and players have tendencies that are too easy to spot. as a lineman I tell boys to look at the marks on the helmets too much on one side tells you where the d guy goes. On olineman marks on the top of the helmet means he ducks his head and cannot see what he is blocking. If you watch the head gear and hands in the trenches you can really mess with the guy across from you by anticipating what he will do
most of the tiime if you give him what he wants to see. A good gapper has marks on both sides of his helmet and a good blocker always has a scarred up facemask because he blocks with his head up.