PDA

View Full Version : Why do you coach?

bolshavik
04-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Be honest

CenTexSports
04-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Because they needed a t-ball coach for my grandson's team and my wife made me.

bolshavik
04-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Hey, least you are honest

jockcity33
04-27-2011, 09:48 AM
For the free clothes.

bolshavik
04-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Here is a good one..."To make a difference"

jockcity33
04-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Naw....it's fro the free clothes and the huge stipends I get.

bolshavik
04-27-2011, 10:09 AM
How bout the summers off

cr180t
04-27-2011, 10:15 AM
A Coach or Coaches were my role model and meant the world to me. I was raised by a single mother that was an English teacher so my male role models were my coaches. Some I wanted to be like and others I learned what I did not want to be like. I really enjoy sports and wanted to raise my family around them and be a positive influence on young people. I truly am excited when I show up at the field house or when I see kids I have coaches or coach or might coach in the future. Guess if that ever changes I need to be a rancher.

jockcity33
04-27-2011, 10:16 AM
don't get much of a summer, by the time baseball is over, and then coaching school and two-a-days are right around the corner. I might get enough days off to cover all the weekends that i don't get off during the school year.

bolshavik
04-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Uh...the summers off was a sarcastic remark..just sayin

runtowin
04-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Because all work and no play isn't worth it. Seriously, I live off the adrenaline of friday nights and the puzzle that is figuring out personnel and the challenge of game planning for the next opponent. Without all of this I get pretty unbearable around the house. Just ask my wife.

DUKE22
04-27-2011, 10:29 AM
I Love it and honestly it is the only thing I know how to do. I really feel as if I have not worked a day in my life the past 10 years.

cr180t
04-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by runtowin
Because all work and no play isn't worth it. Seriously, I live off the adrenaline of friday nights and the puzzle that is figuring out personnel and the challenge of game planning for the next opponent. Without all of this I get pretty unbearable around the house. Just ask my wife.

My wife said the same thing. She can not wait for football season to start.

jockcity33
04-27-2011, 10:37 AM
ok...seriously I have been coaching for 20 years and just like Duke said I don't feel like have a ever worked, except for those all day long workshops that we have to go to....

bolshavik
04-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Been there but after 15 or so years I find myself wanting something different. More money, better opportunity. Love Fri nights but they are overshadowed now by incompetent admin and parents that aint worth the price of amunition.

trojandad
04-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by cr180t
A Coach or Coaches were my role model and meant the world to me. I was raised by a single mother that was an English teacher so my male role models were my coaches. Some I wanted to be like and others I learned what I did not want to be like. I really enjoy sports and wanted to raise my family around them and be a positive influence on young people. I truly am excited when I show up at the field house or when I see kids I have coaches or coach or might coach in the future. Guess if that ever changes I need to be a rancher.

don't change, my friend.....:clap: :clap: :clap:

WildTexan972
04-27-2011, 11:06 AM
it only costs 5 bucks to get in so all my advice in the stands gets shared for a low fee....

so I help the team by knowin best what they SHOULD be doing and saying so each week....

Help America or SHUT UP I always say!

Fletch
04-27-2011, 11:44 AM
To insure that the team learns sportsmanship..........

and my son plays!!!!

You did say honesty, didn't you?;)

bolshavik
04-27-2011, 11:48 AM
lol...Ya gotta respect honesty

RoyceTTU
04-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Guess if that ever changes I need to be a rancher.

:thinking: :thinking: That guy is awefully negative. If I wanted to be somebody I would pick somebody happier:D

garciap77
04-27-2011, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by bolshavik
Hey, least you are honest

Are you a coach?

bolshavik
04-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Yep, bout 15 or so years now...Why?

garciap77
04-27-2011, 11:56 AM
A Coach or Coaches were my role model and meant the world to me. I was raised by a single mother that was an English teacher so my male role models were my coaches. Some I wanted to be like and others I learned what I did not want to be like. I really enjoy sports and wanted to raise my family around them and be a positive influence on young people. I truly am excited when I show up at the field house or when I see kids I have coaches or coach or might coach in the future. Guess if that ever changes I need to be a Rancher .

LOL

After meeting you at the District Track Meet; I know you tell the truth.:2thumbsup

Trashman
04-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Because I didn't want Gsquared or PPHSfan coaching my daughters T-ball team. :devil:

garciap77
04-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Yep, bout 15 or so years now...Why?

I wanted to know if the question was coming from someone who had experience in coaching. Thanks for answering.

garciap77
04-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
Because I didn't want Gsquared or PPHSfan coaching my daughters T-ball team. :devil:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

coachrpawpaw
04-27-2011, 12:25 PM
For the $

bolshavik
04-27-2011, 12:28 PM
I know you are being sarcastic but...the minute I dont get a paycheck will be the minute I stop coaching..I do not follow in the footsteps that I would do this for free.

scrub c
04-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Summer Vacation and the playoff bonus checks!!!

Ex-Tiger2005
04-27-2011, 01:13 PM

:clap:

Ex-Tiger2005
04-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by DUKE22
I Love it and honestly it is the only thing I know how to do. I really feel as if I have not worked a day in my life the past 10 years.

:thumbsup:

pancho villa
04-27-2011, 01:18 PM
So I can get paid for telling kids to "Run fast and turn left" in the spring. So all of you know the standaround sponsers should have to coach for free. They only standaround anyway!!!!

cr180t
04-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
:thinking: :thinking: That guy is awefully negative. If I wanted to be somebody I would pick somebody happier:D

Not what I meant lol. Wife's Dad is a Rancher. Meant I could go work for him.

Old LB
04-27-2011, 01:31 PM
I am by no means a professional coach but for the better part of 10 yrs. I have helped coach my daughters soccer team. In 2008 we qualified for the state tournament and won it.

Before the semifinal game you could just feel that all the years of practice and hard work finally hit the girls and they made up their minds prior to taking the field for that game. I think seeing those girls play those last two games and knowing they finally bought in and realized what it takes to play at that level was one of the greatest feelings I have ever had.

My hats off to all the guys and gals who work with our children, most of you make a major difference.

44INAROW
04-27-2011, 02:04 PM
I am obivously not a coach but my youngest is 3/4 the way to graduating college and his desire is to teach/coach. He had the good fortune of having a very succesful high school coach for all 4 years of high school and that man (and his son) were both mentor/coach in the truest sense of the word. 99.999% of the coaches he had in Cuero (football, baseball and golf) were very dedicated on the practice field as well as the classroom.

After reading some of the comments of some on here, it's evident why some have changed schools 6 times in 9 years or haven't had success - Attitude, it filters down to the kids.

Now with the financial situation with the education system, he might be taking another career avenue but I hope it works out for him to attain his goal and coach/teach. He knows he won't get rich in the education game and if anyone does it for the financial reasons, they are in it for the wrong reason to begin with.

cr180t
04-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Moved 1 time in 22 years of Coaching 10 years at the first school and 12 at current school.

bolshavik
04-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Nah, have had a good career in it..Had some very highs and very lows, big wins, big losses, great kids and some sorry ones too, great administrators and some I wouldn't pi$$ on if they were on fire. Just time for a change of scenery for me. Fri nights have lost it's luster and the wins aren't worth the losses. Kids are great to work with but it is time for me to watch my 3 teenage daughters grow up. I wanna be there for them and not spending all my time raising other people's kids for a change. not bitter at all just very realistic and I do not like to sugar coat my meannings.

pancho villa
04-27-2011, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I am obivously not a coach but my youngest is 3/4 the way to graduating college and his desire is to teach/coach. He had the good fortune of having a very succesful high school coach for all 4 years of high school and that man (and his son) were both mentor/coach in the truest sense of the word. 99.999% of the coaches he had in Cuero (football, baseball and golf) were very dedicated on the practice field as well as the classroom.

After reading some of the comments of some on here, it's evident why some have changed schools 6 times in 9 years or haven't had success - Attitude, it filters down to the kids.

Now with the financial situation with the education system, he might be taking another career avenue but I hope it works out for him to attain his goal and coach/teach. He knows he won't get rich in the education game and if anyone does it for the financial reasons, they are in it for the wrong reason to begin with.

same school for 22 years!

44INAROW
04-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa
same school for 22 years!

:) you knew I wasn't referring to you :)

wildstangs
04-27-2011, 09:49 PM
I have only been coaching 3.5 years (3 years at my current school) but couldn't see myself doing anything else. While there are some difficult kids to deal with on a day to day basis, the good ones make it worth it to come to "work" everyday.

My favorite part has been getting to see my first group of middle school football players excel in high school academics/athletics. Its quite the thrill to see who these kids become in high school and know that I had a part in that.

I am scheduled to finish my administrators certificate next year - But it will be a very difficult decision if/when the time comes to leave the classroom/coaching duties.

trojandad
04-28-2011, 08:09 AM
a 6th grade coach got in the head of my then 12 yr old, spare tire bellied, couch potato oldest son, somehow convinced him to hit the weights where i couldnt get him to work out with me, and ever since has been into body building....his condition and work ethic enabled him to acquire a place on his schools wall of honor when he graduated....by then the school had let go of this coach, and he was doing his magic at other schools....

once this coach got in my boys head, he'd come by at 5 in the morning before school and during the summer with two other boys in tow that he had been persuasive with as well, and they'd all run a few miles before school, then feed them breakfast before bringing them home....never asked for a dime in reimbursal, rarely took it when offered, i had to go to the little cafe and pay them for the breakfasts before they'd show up just to get him to not foot the bill always....

i followed him and his career tho, coming to his wedding, sending him birthday cards each and every birthday i was physically able to, going to the dedication of each of his 3 children's church service, and basically spending all these years trying to let him know i could never repay him for what he did for my boy...

i've spent over a decade trying to figure out how to properly say thanks for changing your boys life and acting like it was just part of your job description....

bolshavik
04-28-2011, 08:17 AM
Cool story Trojandad

BILLYFRED0000
04-28-2011, 08:17 AM
because I love the kids. They get to learn character, teamwork, hardwork mean something. And they learn to bond together. If it works right it is one of the greatest things to watch that I have ever seen.

bolshavik
04-28-2011, 08:34 AM
BILLYFRED0000

What happens when it works wrong?? lol

BEAST
04-28-2011, 08:40 AM
BILLYFRED0000

What happens when it works wrong?? lol

Look in the mirror to find your answer.

BEAST

bolshavik
04-28-2011, 08:49 AM
BEAST...

Now, thats not very christian like there..lol..

Actually have had a pretty good career. Like I said allot of very highs and lows, great wins and dissapointing defeats,great kids and some turds,great admins and some not worth shooting.
I know I have had fun and enjoyed something about every school,community and staff.

pirate4state
04-28-2011, 09:10 AM

Actually have had a pretty good career. Like I said allot of very highs and lows, great wins and dissapointing defeats,great kids and some turds,great admins and some not worth shooting.
I know I have had fun and enjoyed something about every school,community and staff.

Okay, this is the 2nd time you've said this, so .... does this mean you are handing in your whistle and coaching shorts? :D

Ernest T Bass
04-28-2011, 09:11 AM
BEAST...

So, uhmmm, where are you leaving from and what's your teaching field?

bolshavik
04-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Yep, got an opportunity I can't turn down.

bolshavik
04-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Uh..It isn't a classroom gig, i dont take classroom gigs anymore. Havent taught since 2002.

Ernest T Bass
04-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Uh..It isn't a classroom gig, i dont take classroom gigs anymore. Havent taught since 2002.

Well, damn.

bolshavik
04-28-2011, 09:19 AM
lol... Yeah, i know. What area of the state do you wanna job in? I know allot of people.

Ernest T Bass
04-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Check PMs.

LeonJr
04-28-2011, 10:36 AM
Leon coaches because he wants his kids to become B.A.'s

BEAST
04-28-2011, 10:43 AM
BEAST...

Dude take a breather. After yesterdays back and forth I just took the chance to throw a jab your way. I was kidding.

BEAST

bolshavik
04-28-2011, 12:42 PM
BEAST----

Relax man, I just like to bug you...always have :)

BEAST
04-28-2011, 01:11 PM
BEAST----

Relax man, I just like to bug you...always have :)

So who were you before you were Bolshavik?

BEAST