PDA

View Full Version : T-ball question

CenTexSports
04-27-2011, 09:29 AM
Anybody have a funny t-ball story?

I just started coaching my grandson's t-ball team. I did not let my kids play t-ball because I thought that 4 years old was too early to start (my grandson is 5 and will be 6 in June).

Anyway, I have not watched any t-ball games until two weeks ago but I had heard of all the funny things the kids do besides play ball. We have already had a bunch of odd things but two have really stood out:

1) I had three of my players standing around 2nd base kicking dirt and talking when a runner came running up. One of my players grabed him and started touching him with his glove. After the inning I asked him what he was doing. He told me he wanted to tag out a player and that his dad had told him he could. When I explained to him he had to have the ball, he said no he could tag anyone he wanted because his dad said he could. Note: I talked to his dad and we got it straight.

2) I had a runner on second base and another hitter hit the ball to the outfield. I sent the runner home and started yelling for the hitter to come to third. All of a sudden the outfielder with the ball comes running past 2nd, past the pitcher and headed to home. When I turn to look at home, my runner is standing beside home plate looking at it. All of the coaches and the parents are yelling for him to touch home but he just stands there grinning. Needlest to say he was tagged out but it was hilarlious.

BTW: We are 2-0 with wins of 14-12 and 21-9. And I also found out you do not want to be on defense at Cameron Airport Park when a plane takes off because the ball can roll forever while they watch the plane.

Ranger Mom
04-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Ahhh!! T-ball memories. I coached my youngest son one year..it was fun, but as they grew and advanced in the leagues, T-ball got harder and harder to watch.

ccmom
04-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Anybody have a funny t-ball story?

I just started coaching my grandson's t-ball team. I did not let my kids play t-ball because I thought that 4 years old was too early to start (my grandson is 5 and will be 6 in June).

Anyway, I have not watched any t-ball games until two weeks ago but I had heard of all the funny things the kids do besides play ball. We have already had a bunch of odd things but two have really stood out:

1) I had three of my players standing around 2nd base kicking dirt and talking when a runner came running up. One of my players grabed him and started touching him with his glove. After the inning I asked him what he was doing. He told me he wanted to tag out a player and that his dad had told him he could. When I explained to him he had to have the ball, he said no he could tag anyone he wanted because his dad said he could. Note: I talked to his dad and we got it straight.

2) I had a runner on second base and another hitter hit the ball to the outfield. I sent the runner home and started yelling for the hitter to come to third. All of a sudden the outfielder with the ball comes running past 2nd, past the pitcher and headed to home. When I turn to look at home, my runner is standing beside home plate looking at it. All of the coaches and the parents are yelling for him to touch home but he just stands there grinning. Needlest to say he was tagged out but it was hilarlious.

BTW: We are 2-0 with wins of 14-12 and 21-9. And I also found out you do not want to be on defense at Cameron Airport Park when a plane takes off because the ball can roll forever while they watch the plane.

My youngest son is 5 and plays coach pitch ball. Wow...there is a new adventure in every game!!

Last night, the other team had a runner on first and the batter hit it to our shortstop, who stopped the ball and threw it to second base. That all sounds reasonable, except that the RUNNER caught the ball at second and then held on to it all the way around 3rd base, until SOMEBODY'S (:D ) son tackled him on the third baseline. :eek: It was quite entertaining. :D

On another play, the first baseman on the opposing team grabbed a baserunner by the arms and tried to drag him to the ground so he couldn't make it to second base. I'm beginning to think some of these boys might be better suited for football. :)
It sure is fun, though.
:)

BwdLion73
04-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Had one run toward 1st. but instead ran off the field and into the stands and sat on his mothers lap, but the peeing in the outfield always makes me laugh. :p

Rabid Cougar
04-27-2011, 11:29 AM
A long time ago and way too many stories.

Red Bull
04-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Please tell me you did not keep score in T-ball. That is the funniest story yet if true.

GrTigers6
04-27-2011, 12:28 PM
I coached my daughter and oldest son on the same team, a year and a day apart in age.
Anyway, son was playing shortstop, age 5. daughter playing left field, age 6. Batter hit the ball to shortstop, your thinking simple play right? Not so much, the ball rolled under the legs of my son, and proceeded under the legs of my daughter. So im thinking maybe baseball wasnt for them, then I look up at the other players and not one saw the ball, they were all just looking around and wondering why the kids were running around the bases. Needless to say all the runners plus the batter scored before we got the kids to get the ballwhich rolled forever, No fence.
So I didnt worry anymore, my daughter played two more years and stopped but my son continued on and turned out to be a pretty good outfielder.
Ahh, the memories,Dont miss coaching it and I am determined not to ump it either. Parents get to violent:D

AP Panther Fan
04-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Red Bull
Please tell me you did not keep score in T-ball. That is the funniest story yet if true.

That's what I was thinking. The un-official score is always kept by multiple Moms on a tiny piece of paper in the stands. It is a thankless job, but someone has to do it.;)

It's been quite a few years, but I recall the batter going to third rather than first rather frequently. They would also sometimes go from 1st to 3rd via the middle of the field (pitchers mound). And probably the funniest thing to watch is the neverending chase when a player is determined to get the runner out no matter how far he has to run (into the opponents dugout).

One year our Little League gave our t-ballers some fairly unique names. My daughter was a Lugnut.:cool:

95mustang
04-27-2011, 04:34 PM
I had one on my T-ball team that would strip down to their undies while they were in the outfield.

Old LB
04-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Red Bull

Why play the game if you don't keep score? :confused:

CenTexSports
04-27-2011, 07:57 PM
There is a pre t-ball league that does not keep score but ours is the big league and we keep score.

BaseballUmp
04-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Haha my nephew is playing in the coach pitch league in cameron this year. He is 6 but the absolute smallest kid on the team. I went and watched him play thursday and he hit the ball but got thrown out lol but he looked so funny running to first with that big helmet on that little head. And you're right Centex, shoot those planes always got me when I was playing no matter how old or what league i was playing in lol

FB-fanatic
04-27-2011, 11:30 PM
I still find it humerous that Texas Teenage league allows t-ball leagues to advance all the way to a state tournament. I got a call from a sister-in-law years back, asking if we were coming to the regional tournament....."for gosh sakes, they are 4 years old!".

Old LB
04-27-2011, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by FB-fanatic
I still find it humerous that Texas Teenage league allows t-ball leagues to advance all the way to a state tournament. I got a call from a sister-in-law years back, asking if we were coming to the regional tournament....."for gosh sakes, they are 4 years old!".

Like I said, why play the game if you don't keep score?

eagles_victory
04-28-2011, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by ccmom
My youngest son is 5 and plays coach pitch ball. Wow...there is a new adventure in every game!!

Last night, the other team had a runner on first and the batter hit it to our shortstop, who stopped the ball and threw it to second base. That all sounds reasonable, except that the RUNNER caught the ball at second and then held on to it all the way around 3rd base, until SOMEBODY'S (:D ) son tackled him on the third baseline. :eek: It was quite entertaining. :D

On another play, the first baseman on the opposing team grabbed a baserunner by the arms and tried to drag him to the ground so he couldn't make it to second base. I'm beginning to think some of these boys might be better suited for football. :)
It sure is fun, though.
:) I'm sure they will make great Wylie football players well until they run into that East Texas speed that is.

Rabid Cougar
04-28-2011, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by FB-fanatic

They used to only have District Tournaments for T-ball and no t-ball under age 5. The winner was declared a State Champion. They changed it the same year they went with the 70 foot Open Bases Division, probably 6 or 7 years ago.