PDA

View Full Version : Best Conditioning--Boot camp or Athletics?

Bullaholic
04-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Which do you think put you in better shape---Boot Camp or Athletic training?

In my case, I got to vote for U.S. Army Boot Camp. I went thru Boot Camp at Ft. Polk, Louisiana---Home of the Infantry-- back in 73'. I was 26 at the time and came out the best shape in my life. They used to march us about 7-8 miles to the rifle ranges and training areas wearing a pack, field jacket, steel pot and carrying an M16. About 2-3 miles out, the column was halted by an older DI, a jeep would pull up--drop off a young, in-shape DI who would immediately shout "Double-time" and away we would go. Lord help you if straggled or dropped out.

Bullaholic
04-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Now you watch some "Leatherneck" get on here and post how they used to carry a 50lb. pack and run 20 miles at Pendleton....:D

Ernest T Bass
04-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Since when does the army go through Boot Camp? Last I checked, it was "basic training". Boot Camp is the United States Marine Corps.

bigwood33
04-25-2011, 05:48 PM
According to Time Magazine, the US Army has "Boot Camp"
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/armyjoin/l/bltimesbasic.htm

Ernest T Bass
04-25-2011, 07:21 PM
I beg to differ, sir.-Doc Holliday

Eagle 1
04-25-2011, 08:04 PM
It was boot camp when I went through in 1984 and was definately harder than 2-a days I assure you.

PPHSfan
04-25-2011, 11:48 PM
Boot camp hands down.

It has also been said that four years of college football is easier than four days of Ranger training.

Rabid Cougar
04-26-2011, 07:32 AM
MCRD -San Diego.
Hands down over off-season and two a days at Texas A&M

FmrPirate14
04-26-2011, 10:44 AM
...actually if it wasnt for all the years Mitchell had us working out in Sinton trying to be the best I think bootcamp at MCRD San Diego wouldve been harder but I was already in great shape by the time I went only the "crucible" was a challenge.

Rabid Cougar
04-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by FmrPirate14
...actually if it wasnt for all the years Mitchell had us working out in Sinton trying to be the best I think bootcamp at MCRD San Diego wouldve been harder but I was already in great shape by the time I went only the "crucible" was a challenge.

Agreed.. the whole thing was much more a mental challange.

MUSTANG69
04-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Boot camp without a doubt.

GrTigers6
04-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Boot camp or basic training, whatever you want to call it. Is definetly harder than any of the 2 adays or off season workouts. With the exception of the Air Force Basic which at the time I went thru it was only six weeks and if the heat index was over 95 we didnt do P.T.
Me and my twin brother joined at the same time, Me Air Force, Him Navy
After my 6 weeks and his 8 weeks, I lost 5 lbs and he gained 20 along with a lot broader neck, shoulders and arms.
He never gained like that at a football workout in season or off.

Bearkat
04-26-2011, 01:42 PM
My opinion-Boot camp has to be harder and will get you into better shape.

**I have been involved in athletics, however, I have never been through boot camp so I'm only speculating.

My reasoning-Each, boot camp and athletics, prepares you for something.
1. Athletics prepares you to be successful in a game and in life. Boot camp prepares you to be successful at war and in life.
ADVANTAGE-BOOT CAMP

2. Both are very mentally challenging. Athletics will challenge your mental ability to excel under pressure and to perform under pressure. Boot camp will challenge your mental ability to stay alive and to perform when someone else's life is in your hands.
ADVANTAGE-BOOT CAMP

PPHSfan
04-26-2011, 01:58 PM
There's really no comparison at all. I always got to go home after football practice, and I never had to breath tear-gas or spend 12 hours guarding a rabbit during two a days.