PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft

buckeyebob
04-25-2011, 05:15 AM
The NFL Draft returns to primetime in 2011, with the first round taking place Thurs., April 28, followed by the second and third rounds on Fri., April 29. Rounds 4-7 will be held Sat., April 30.

I have either missed comments or is no one interested? We have our man Curtis Brown this year...we will be pulling for him & hope that we have a season.

Since I do not follow the pros (I do keep an eye on Manual Johnson), anyone got any predictions/comments on Curtis?

waterboy
04-25-2011, 11:49 AM
I've heard sources say Curtis Brown will likely go late 4th or early 5th round. I hope he makes it. One thing has puzzled me since he graduated, why hasn't somebody figured out that he is a better receiver than he is a DB? Have you seen some of the catches he makes? I have always thought he would make a better receiver than a DB....

coach
04-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
I've heard sources say Curtis Brown will likely go late 4th or early 5th round. I hope he makes it. One thing has puzzled me since he graduated, why hasn't somebody figured out that he is a better receiver than he is a DB? Have you seen some of the catches he makes? I have always thought he would make a better receiver than a DB....

there is more to receiver than just catching...maybe he is a horrible route runner or maybe he prefers defense over O. with that being said im sure nfl scouts has thought about this.

SHSBulldog00
04-25-2011, 12:15 PM
I saw a mock draft with him going to Houston in the 4th round.

What other 3A players are in the draft that we need to keep an eye on?

waterboy
04-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by coach
there is more to receiver than just catching...maybe he is a horrible route runner or maybe he prefers defense over O. with that being said im sure nfl scouts has thought about this.
That's just it, he's a great route runner with soft hands and good form (catches the ball at its apex). He has a vertical in excess of 42" and 4.5 speed at the NFL combine. I always thought he would was better suited for offense than for defense, and have thought that since he was in high school. He has stated in the past that he prefers playing on the defense, though. I guess that's my answer.....:thinking: I am looking for him to go in the 4th round, though.

buckeyebob
04-26-2011, 06:08 AM
Off the NFL Draft Site
Brown has great foot speed and enough size to develop into a quality starting cornerback at the next level. He has the long speed to blanket receivers on go routes and the hip fluidity to maintain momentum on double moves. He is effective on an island in man coverage and is well positioned in zone. He is a bit of a liability in run support, but he is a quick-twitched athlete that should not have a problem covering agile slot receivers in the NFL. Brown should be able to play immediately in nickel and dime packages and he will probably be a second day pick.
Strengths: Brown has good length and excellent speed. Explosive in transition and can stick with shifty receivers in man coverage. Confident kid that can jump underneath routes in zone coverage. Possesses very good ball skills and can cover taller receivers in jump ball situations. Effective in press coverage
Weakness: Peeks in the backfield at times and can be burned by ball fakes. Lacks bulk and struggles to disengage from receivers in run support. Does not show the ability to break down ball carriers in space and is a bit of an arm tackler. Not a playmaker despite having good ball skills.
Comment: most overlooked player in the draft so far... mark my words, this guy can play and will show it in the pro's.

Buckeye1980
04-26-2011, 02:35 PM
I have seen mock drafts with him going to Tampa Bay in the second round and another to Green Bay in second round.

The reason for playing defense is that where he wanted to play . When he was recruited by Texas , he told Mack Brown he wanted to be a CB. Reportily Mack advised him Texas may not be the place for him, but I feel like he proved Mack wrong and Mack is glad he did.

I had been keeping closer look but the last few days have been hard on me and my family, but Curtis is certainly a bright spot to look at . He mentioned on his Facebook page that he visited Pittsburg also.

PPHSfan
04-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Don't y'all have anything better to do?

Buckeye1980
04-26-2011, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan

must be important , you are reading it

buckeyebob
04-28-2011, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan

At present, no. If we have a NFL season, we can watch Manual. He has a contract!!