PDA

View Full Version : Help! Water well!

Blastoderm55
04-22-2011, 11:37 AM
My water well, or rather my water softener, is discharging a lot of water. The well and softener are in a shed toward the rear of my property. A waterhose is buried underground and runs to the front of my property around the ditch. The ditch has a bunch of standing water and the water is still flowing from the softener. Is this normal? The look of the standing water is really unsightly. It doesn't appear to be salty water coming from my rock salt talk since the grass in the ditch is very green. It does appear to be a timed function because the softener is making all sorts of crazy noises and its usually pretty quite.

Any ideas?

Old Tiger
04-22-2011, 11:41 AM
What kinda equipment do you got pumping it?

nobogey72
04-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
My water well, or rather my water softener, is discharging a lot of water. The well and softener are in a shed toward the rear of my property. A waterhose is buried underground and runs to the front of my property around the ditch. The ditch has a bunch of standing water and the water is still flowing from the softener. Is this normal? The look of the standing water is really unsightly. It doesn't appear to be salty water coming from my rock salt talk since the grass in the ditch is very green. It does appear to be a timed function because the softener is making all sorts of crazy noises and its usually pretty quite.

Any ideas?

Ear plugs will help with the crazy noises.

rancher
04-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Water softner has gone bad. It is regenerating too much, my guess is something is wrong in the computer control board or timer. My suggestion is to get an Aquatex softner, very very few moving parts and uses no elec.

Blastoderm55
04-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Ear plugs will help with the crazy noises.

Its outside and across the yard thankfully.

Blastoderm55
04-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by rancher
Water softner has gone bad. It is regenerating too much, my guess is something is wrong in the computer control board or timer. My suggestion is to get an Aquatex softner, very very few moving parts and uses no elec.

Was afraid of that. Its a Culligan unit and we haven't had it serviced since moving in back in October. I'll get them on the phone.

Blastoderm55
04-22-2011, 12:32 PM
Culligan had me bypass the line and they'll be out on Thursday to check if the unit is salvageable or not. :(

rancher
04-22-2011, 05:10 PM
I had a high dollar unit like that a few years ago, lasted me about 5 years before trouble. I went to homedepot and bought a GE for a less than half the price, lasted about the same time. I then just put three filters on the lines with the last one being a char. filter. That was 12 years ago, water still fine. My water problem is iron, this filter it out and no taste. Another trick if you have iron, add bleach to your well about once every two months, this will kill the iron bacteria that cause your problem. Be sitting down when they tell you what the repair will cost.

Blastoderm55
04-22-2011, 09:53 PM
I'm hoping that since it's well-related it will be covered under my home warranty. Keeping my fingers crossed.

buckeyebob
04-27-2011, 05:04 AM
Move to East Texas where the water is soft and the football is hard.