PDA

View Full Version : Stand for the pledge?

scrub c
04-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Does your ISD require students stand for the Pledge?

Sweeny ISD did... until the ACLU got involved...

Sad day indeed

Article from THEFACTS.COM newspaper By SHANNON DAUGHTRY

"SWEENY - Students in Sweeny ISD no longer will be required to stand during the Pledge of Allegiance, a change district administrators said legally had to be made.
The announcement Thursday complies with the deadline of the American Civil Liberties Union of Texas to amend a requirement it said is unconstitutional. In a letter to the district last week, the ACLU stated courts repeatedly had determined requiring students to stand for the pledge infringed on their rights.

Dotty Griffith, public education director with the ACLU, said she is satisfied with Sweeny ISD's decision.
"I'm pleased that the school district has done the right thing," Griffith said. "We are glad that the school district has chosen to recognize students' indisputable First Amendment right to remain seated during the Pledge of Allegiance. This was a victory for the First Amendment." "

Seems like the school district WAS doing the right thing by teaching kids respect for the flag and what it stands for...

Ernest T Bass
04-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Don't think the district has a policy about it, but Coach Bass sure does! Ive ripped into more than one kid for not doing it.

jason
04-22-2011, 09:35 AM
the ones who don't stand though are probably the first ones in line for well fare or blaming the government for their lack of handouts....

Old Tiger
04-22-2011, 09:36 AM
:wave:

pancho villa
04-22-2011, 09:43 AM
I bet those kids at Sweeny are Tree kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scrub c
Originally posted by jason
the ones who don't stand though are probably the first ones in line for well fare or blaming the government for their lack of handouts....

exactly

waterboy
Originally posted by jason
:thumbsup: That about sums it up.

BTW, I was here!:wave: :D

Ernest T Bass
04-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Had one kid this year pull the "Im mexican, not American. That's not my flag" on me. He regrets it now.

eagles_victory
04-22-2011, 09:47 AM
I always made mine during my student teaching as did the other coaches. I think it was required around the school. I don't care who you are if you can't stand for your country then I have a problem with that.

STANG RED
04-22-2011, 10:28 AM
What you have to realize is, these kids nowadays don’t often see the greatness of America. They see lying, cheating, self-serving politicians, who have taken this great country down a path of self-destruction. Many see parents who have fallen into the trap of living off the entitlements of the government, and have lost all incentive for self-improvement. Many live in areas, where everywhere they look, they see the same dependence on those same entitlements. Then you have those well-meaning organizations like the ACLU, who end up becoming a bigger part of the problem, rather than a part of the solution. We are no longer teaching high values and morals to our youth. The parents, churches, teachers, schools, etc... that are trying to teach those things, find themselves vastly outnumbered by elements of a corrupted society that has lost its way. I hope and pray we can somehow reverse the direction our society is headed in. But I frankly don’t see much out there that leads me to believe that will ever happen. Forgive me for being such a downer on this subject. I do keep praying for this country every day, and encourage you to do the same. We can use all the help we can get.

waterboy
04-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
What you have to realize is, these kids nowadays don’t often see the greatness of America. They see lying, cheating, self-serving politicians, who have taken this great country down a path of self-destruction. Many see parents who have fallen into the trap of living off the entitlements of the government, and have lost all incentive for self-improvement. Many live in areas, where everywhere they look, they see the same dependence on those same entitlements. Then you have those well-meaning organizations like the ACLU, who end up becoming a bigger part of the problem, rather than a part of the solution. We are no longer teaching high values and morals to our youth. The parents, churches, teachers, schools, etc... that are trying to teach those things, find themselves vastly outnumbered by elements of a corrupted society that has lost its way. I hope and pray we can somehow reverse the direction our society is headed in. But I frankly don’t see much out there that leads me to believe that will ever happen. Forgive me for being such a downer on this subject. I do keep praying for this country every day, and encourage you to do the same. We can use all the help we can get.
:clap: Amen, brother! Amen!:clap:

sinton66
04-22-2011, 10:43 AM
The old 60's adage works well. "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem". It's we the silent majority that are letting it happen. Stop being silent about it and start yelling at the idiots.

PPHSfan
04-22-2011, 10:58 AM
I say don't force anyone to stand. That way the ones that do can see the ones that don't.

NastySlot
04-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Make my stand.....but can't make them say the pledge.

but I do give a little lecture as to what I expect and why they should be respectful of the pledge and the flag...with an early lesson the first week of classes........and constant reminders through the year.

NastySlot
04-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
Make my stand.....but can't make them say the pledge.

but I do give a little lecture as to what I expect and why they should be respectful of the pledge and the flag...with an early lesson the first week of classes........and constant reminders through the year.

anyone old enough to remember saying a prayer after the pledge every morning?

Txbroadcaster
04-22-2011, 01:39 PM
What you have to realize is, these kids nowadays don’t often see the greatness of America. They see lying, cheating, self-serving politicians, who have taken this great country down a path of self-destruction.

You think Politicans were not lying in the past? Nixon might still be the worst lol.

Kids nowdays are not trying to go in full revolt like the movements of the late 60's and early 70's

Bullaholic
04-22-2011, 01:45 PM
I wonder how much the "sitting" is the kids, and how much is the parents.

STANG RED
04-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
You think Politicans were not lying in the past? Nixon might still be the worst lol.

Kids nowdays are not trying to go in full revolt like the movements of the late 60's and early 70's

Of course politicians were lying in the past. We didnt get to where we are now overnight. This nation has been on a steep decline for a long time, and even that started well before Nixon came along. It has just obviously gotten a lot worse, a lot faster, in the last few years. If you cant see it, it's only because you choose not to see.

I was a child of the 60s and 70s, so there isnt much you can tell me about what was going on in those days. I'm well aware of how screwed up much of my generation is. Now take a good look at what some of their offspring has turned out to like.

SHSBulldog00
04-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by scrub c
Does your ISD require students stand for the Pledge?

Sweeny ISD did... until the ACLU got involved...

Sad day indeed

Article from THEFACTS.COM newspaper By SHANNON DAUGHTRY

"SWEENY - Students in Sweeny ISD no longer will be required to stand during the Pledge of Allegiance, a change district administrators said legally had to be made.
The announcement Thursday complies with the deadline of the American Civil Liberties Union of Texas to amend a requirement it said is unconstitutional. In a letter to the district last week, the ACLU stated courts repeatedly had determined requiring students to stand for the pledge infringed on their rights.

Dotty Griffith, public education director with the ACLU, said she is satisfied with Sweeny ISD's decision.
"I'm pleased that the school district has done the right thing," Griffith said. "We are glad that the school district has chosen to recognize students' indisputable First Amendment right to remain seated during the Pledge of Allegiance. This was a victory for the First Amendment." "

Seems like the school district WAS doing the right thing by teaching kids respect for the flag and what it stands for...

It was only two students, a girl and her boyfriend that did not stand for the pledge. Both of the students are gothic (if that has anything to do with it. The fellow students in the classroom were the ones who were complaining. The ACLU told Sweeny ISD to change their requirement by the 21st or the school district would be sued by the ACLU.

Txbroadcaster
04-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Of course politicians were lying in the past. We didnt get to where we are now overnight. This nation has been on a steep decline for a long time, and even that started well before Nixon came along. It has just obviously gotten a lot worse, a lot faster, in the last few years. If you cant see it, it's only because you choose not to see.

I was a child of the 60s and 70s, so there isnt much you can tell me about what was going on in those days. I'm well aware of how screwed up much of my generation is. Now take a good look at what some of their offspring has turned out to like.

Actually I am saying at least the 60's generation TRIED to stand up for what they believed in..kids today just dont care either way

LIONS#1
04-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

Nixon might have been a Lier but he was a better presedent that the Lier we have now!!

coach
04-22-2011, 04:23 PM
we have no problems with the kids standing. if they don't we take care of it but they know better by now.

PPHSfan
04-22-2011, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by LIONS#1
Nixon might have been a Lier but he was a better presedent that the Lier we have now!!

You should learn to spell liar and president before you call names.

FmrPirate14
04-23-2011, 02:27 AM
..I know it conflicts with religious beliefs and all but I believe you should stand up for the pledge bc it is the country your living in and should respect it. (lol thats also my patriotism speaking)

SHSBulldog00
04-23-2011, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by FmrPirate14
..I know it conflicts with religious beliefs and all but I believe you should stand up for the pledge bc it is the country your living in and should respect it. (lol thats also my patriotism speaking)

As the son of a Vietnam Vet I totally agree with you. They should at least have the decency to stand during the pledge.

Achievements in life are not what matters, decency and honesty are what matter.

LH Panther Mom
04-23-2011, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
It was only two students, a girl and her boyfriend that did not stand for the pledge. Both of the students are gothic (if that has anything to do with it. The fellow students in the classroom were the ones who were complaining. The ACLU told Sweeny ISD to change their requirement by the 21st or the school district would be sued by the ACLU.
So two kids didn't stand and the rest said "why do we have to stand if they don't?"? Is that the gist? Who dragged in the ACLU? :doh: :doh:

TheDOCTORdre
04-23-2011, 07:21 AM
the ACLU is a freakin joke

SHSBulldog00
04-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
So two kids didn't stand and the rest said "why do we have to stand if they don't?"? Is that the gist? Who dragged in the ACLU? :doh: :doh:

No the other students in the class were upset that the two students would not stand. The boy and girl then went home and their parents contacted the ACLU. The whole situation started because of the two students who said something to the effect of , "I don't have to stand because this isn't my country."

LH Panther Mom
04-23-2011, 01:35 PM
No the other students in the class were upset that the two students would not stand. The boy and girl then went home and their parents contacted the ACLU. The whole situation started because of the two students who said something to the effect of , "I don't have to stand because this isn't my country."
Oh, gotcha! Well, maybe they should go back to "their" country. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

carter08
04-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
You should learn to spell liar and president before you call names.

This.

coach
04-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by LIONS#1

just curious...where did you get your education?

bolshavik
04-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Freedom of speech,choice is great even if it makes you angry.

Lucky2Coach
04-23-2011, 07:53 PM

It was three kids, and "I don't have to stand because this is not my country" was not said nor the sentiment of their "protest". These are some of the more intelligent kids in the school and knew that they could defy authority and ultimately win by refusing to stand. Ultimately, I think they are learning a lesson that by doing this they have alienated themselves from the other students of the school. I hope this is a lesson they take with them throughout their lives!

bobcat1
04-23-2011, 07:56 PM
Pledge and stand while doing so with your hand over your heart or leave this country. If you refuse to pledge your allegiance to the USA you should not be here period.

Oh by the way, I noticed that we have some new Grammar Policemen. :clap: :clap: :rolleyes:

PPHSfan
04-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Pledge and stand while doing so with your hand over your heart or leave this country. If you refuse to pledge your allegiance to the USA you should not be here period.

Oh by the way, I noticed that we have some new Grammar Policemen. :clap: :clap: :rolleyes:

Don't you mean Spelling police?

SHSBulldog00
04-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Lucky2Coach
It was three kids, and "I don't have to stand because this is not my country" was not said nor the sentiment of their "protest". These are some of the more intelligent kids in the school and knew that they could defy authority and ultimately win by refusing to stand. Ultimately, I think they are learning a lesson that by doing this they have alienated themselves from the other students of the school. I hope this is a lesson they take with them throughout their lives!

Thank you for that clarification Coach.... the story does become diluted the further we are from the incident.

Ernest T Bass
04-23-2011, 09:46 PM
So, basically it was a couple smartass kids who found a way to buck authority, so they thought they'd do it, just for the hell of it. It has nothing to do with their nationality or their beliefs, it was just a way to "stick it to the man".
Now, it's kinda backfiring.

bobcat1
04-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Don't you mean Spelling police? Maybe it should be Correction Police or Know It All Police.:p

buckeyebob
04-24-2011, 06:20 AM
I like to see them explain this to the Gilmer people...I think it would get ugly.