This is a religious, political site---how dare you put up a football thread. :D

OLE'BULL
04-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Can only go up, my guess... 5-5

orange machine
04-21-2011, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
This is a religious, political site---how dare you put up a football thread. :D

HaHa I know what was I thinking 39 stripes are in order for me.

bwdlionfan
04-21-2011, 06:27 PM
We were 14-1 last year. I think next year we'll finish up around 10-4 or maybe 11-3. Some may not expect us to do that well with who all we lost, but we do have some talent coming back.

Caldwell_Raider
04-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Probably won't be as good, but will place the same as they did last year in district.

cowboyandchrist
04-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Carthage Bull Dogs will be in the hunt again this year. The talent pool is still good. They will groom another Q/B and by the start of district, here they go again. The district of doom will be very hard again in 2012. Everybody has a good group coming back. Henderson and Gilmere will give the dogs all the can handle, but in the end the dogs will do what they do.

Ernest T Bass
04-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
Better this year

Worse this year

About the same as last year

LMAO!!

:crying: :crying:

Sweetwater Red
04-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Better this year

Worse this year

About the same as last year

Sweetwater should be much improved. A weak non-district (except for Monahans) should tell
just how improved we are. If we're barely beating Vernon or Early again then it's gonna be a
long season.

Not my teams but...

Snyder should run through their schedule barring injury to Ward or a slow start. They open the
season against Monahans. Should be epic.

Apparently Brownwood's cupboard is bare. Atleast that's what I hear from a couple of guys
from the East Texas media. Look's like it will be
a rebuilding year for the Lions. :devil:

Wylie continues to win and make the playoffs regardless of the talent pool. Sure wish
Sandifer would've took the Barbers Hill job and took his entire staff with him. :rolleyes:

Big Spring always has plenty of athletes. But, their football team is perennially bad Maybe
ETB should look into this gig. I'm sure he'd find plenty of track stars to turn into all-district players.

bwdlionfan
04-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

Snyder should run through their schedule barring injury to Ward or a slow start. They open the
season against Monahans. Should be epic.

How many starters will Snyder have back?

cr180t
04-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
How many starters will Snyder have back?

5 and 6 I think

Sweetwater Red
04-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by cr180t
5 and 6 I think

And how many returning letterman?

j_dog
04-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Jasper 2-8 last year. Better be MUCH better! ;)

sinfan75
04-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Sinton lost alot on offense. I think the defense returns more than they lost. Don't see them winning district but making the play-offs as the 3rd place team with some luck. Down year for Sinton.

cr180t
04-21-2011, 08:38 PM
And how many returning letterman?

I think 22. JV was 7-3

Sweetwater Red
04-21-2011, 08:49 PM
I think 22. JV was 7-3

Nice. Good luck against Monahans. As much as I hate to miss it, I'm going to stay home and watch
us against Vernon.

Old Tiger
04-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Brownwood will suck....

Celina will be better than Brownwood

Snyder sux

cr180t
04-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Nice. Good luck against Monahans. As much as I hate to miss it, I'm going to stay home and watch
us against Vernon.

Thanks. Heard the new field looks great.

sTxforlife
04-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Sealy will be worse this year, they lose 8 starters on offense and 8 on defense i see them going at the best 6-4 and struggling to make the playoffs

bobcat1
04-21-2011, 10:30 PM
I am almost certain Celina should be better.

MustangFootball
04-22-2011, 03:38 AM
the ingleside mustangs should be a lot better this coming year, the mustangs came into the 2010 season with 2 starters on offense and 5 on defense. they had to replace the whole offensive and defensive lines. they went 7-3 in the regular season and 4-1 in district play losing only to district champs sinton, the mustangs took 2nd in district...... this young mustang team lost in the first round of the playoffs to sweeny in a 27-10 ball game. the mustangs will graduate 11 seniors off this team only 5 were starters.

the mustangs played last-year with a freshman QB and a sophmore RB and a lot of juniors and sophmores on both sides of the ball, expect the mustangs to be a heavy favorite for the district title and maybe a deep playoff run,. but there are no gimmies in this district they will have to fight week in and week out :nerd:

buckeyebob
04-22-2011, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by cowboyandchrist
Carthage Bull Dogs will be in the hunt again this year. The talent pool is still good. They will groom another Q/B and by the start of district, here they go again. The district of doom will be very hard again in 2012. Everybody has a good group coming back. Henderson and Gilmere will give the dogs all the can handle, but in the end the dogs will do what they do.

It will be our turn to administer the spanking to The Dogs. The Bucks will be full of suprises, returning starters, an awsome freshman class (some will be varsity), and ready for revenge. The District of Doom will live up to the hype...mmm...can we have four state champion teams? Once again, East Texas Speed will awe the rest of the state. The count down has started...August 13th...scrimmage with Whitehouse.

Chillfan
04-22-2011, 07:25 AM
Chapel Hill will be better. Returning a lot with a lot of young guys getting some good experience last year. The defense will be a joy to watch.

oldtownag
04-22-2011, 07:31 AM
I think the Bulldogs will be better.

FmrPirate14
04-22-2011, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by sTxforlife
Sealy will be worse this year, they lose 8 starters on offense and 8 on defense i see them going at the best 6-4 and struggling to make the playoffs

..if Mitchell is still there I see them still making the playoffs he has a way of bringing out the best in his players and having them preform great

greendawg84
04-22-2011, 08:13 AM
We will be worse , we have no speed and no size at all. Could be a long season for the Dawgs.

firstdown
04-22-2011, 08:19 AM
Argyle will be better. Last year we were young and found a way to get it done.

Old Tiger
04-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by oldtownag
I think the Bulldogs will be better. :eek: :eek: :eek:

waterboy
04-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by oldtownag
I think the Bulldogs will be better.
Sarcasm....:thinking: .....I like it!:D I've got a feeling the Bulldog reign is over. At least for now. They will definitely miss Morgan, Claiborne, and company. They will still be good, however.

GrTigers6
04-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Glen Rose had several young players in key positions, which hurt us last year along with injuries, But it should help this year with the experience, as long as we can avoid the injuries. We have some key positions that seniors had last year, and it will depend on how the newcomers fill their shoes.
I am looking forward to a Great senior year for my youngest. If he can stay healthy :thinking: :D

Txbroadcaster
04-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
Sarcasm....:thinking: .....I like it!:D I've got a feeling the Bulldog reign is over. At least for now. They will definitely miss Morgan, Claiborne, and company. They will still be good, however.

man I dont know..I think Carthage has a ton of talent that might take some time, but come play off time will be right there once again

waterboy
04-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
man I dont know..I think Carthage has a ton of talent that might take some time, but come play off time will be right there once again
Yes, they are likely to be right there come playoff time, but they will not be able to make it 4 in a row. They will definitely miss Morgan, Claiborne, Holland, Pope, Ware, and company. Wait and see.;)

I actually think Henderson will be the team to beat this year.

RoyceTTU
04-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Yes, they are likely to be right there come playoff time, but they will not be able to make it 4 in a row. They will definitely miss Morgan, Claiborne, Holland, Pope, Ware, and company. Wait and see.;)

Isn't Pope still around :thinking:

Ernest T Bass
04-22-2011, 12:12 PM
We're not even gonna field a team. Instead, we're gonna start up a fall 7 on 7 league.

waterboy
04-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
Isn't Pope still around :thinking:
Oops! Yep, he was a junior. It must've been Kendall Thompson I was thinking about......

pirate4state
04-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
Sinton lost alot on offense. I think the defense returns more than they lost. Don't see them winning district but making the play-offs as the 3rd place team with some luck. Down year for Sinton.

Early on we will be much better on defense than offense.

Once we find a qb and the O-line catches on/up (even just a little) we have the weapons in the backfield to be good. :D :nerd:

District will come down to Sinton-v-Ingleside...again.

Blastoderm55
04-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75

I think Sinton will be second behind Ingleside. Mathis and Rockport will both have new coaches so they'll be the ones rebuilding. Aransas Pass and Goliad might be able to challenge for the last playoff spot.

Txbroadcaster
04-22-2011, 01:35 PM

Pope is still there..and we heard they would miss Smith and the QBfrom their first title team..two titles later now it is they will miss Morgan and others..that OL for the most part is back

waterboy
04-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Pope is still there..and we heard they would miss Smith and the QBfrom their first title team..two titles later now it is they will miss Morgan and others..that OL for the most part is back
Yep, I know Pope is back. I must've been thinking of Thompson.:doh: They had a special group of players graduate this year. They will miss them, too, and it'll definitely show early in the season. I don't think the next crop will be able to carry them to the state title again. They'll still be good, just not good enough for another title this year, in my opinion. I'd definitely be surprised if they made it any further than the regional finals this year, but they have surprised us before.... :thinking: I just think their state title string ends this year.;)

MUSTANG69
04-22-2011, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Early on we will be much better on defense than offense.

Once we find a qb and the O-line catches on/up (even just a little) we have the weapons in the backfield to be good. :D :nerd:

District will come down to Sinton-v-Ingleside...again.

I think Ingleside will be like Sinton on the offensive line. There will be some inexperienced players that will need some playing time. Our backfield and receiving corp will be pretty much be the same as last year with a years experience under their belt.

I agree. It comes down to Ingleside-Sinton for the title again. Going to be a much closer game this year no matter who wins. Looking forward to it.

bwdlionfan
04-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Brownwood will suck....

Celina will be better than Brownwood

Snyder sux

A sucky Brownwood would stomp a good Rockdale team.

Brownwood will make the playoffs

ccmom
04-22-2011, 03:27 PM
A sucky Brownwood would stomp a good Rockdale team.

Brownwood will make the playoffs

Making the playoffs in this new 5 team district is not all that difficult. I mean, even the 2010 Wylie Bulldogs did it!! :rolleyes: :D

LIONS#1
04-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Rockdale?? LMAO

bwdlionfan
04-22-2011, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
Making the playoffs in this new 5 team district is not all that difficult. I mean, even the 2010 Wylie Bulldogs did it!! :rolleyes: :D

That's true...Wylie sucked.

I think Brownwood will go 3-4 rounds.

bwdlionfan
04-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by LIONS#1
Rockdale?? LMAO

Notice the original post asked how your team will be next year. He doesn't even answer about his team, he has more hope for Brownwood to suck than he does for Rockdale to be good. Losing seasons must be the acceptable norm down there.

ccmom
04-22-2011, 05:07 PM

I think Brownwood will go 3-4 rounds.

Wow....seriously????? :doh: 3-4 rounds???? :doh:

bwdlionfan
04-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Wow....seriously????? :doh: 3-4 rounds???? :doh:

Ok Nostradamus, what's your prediction?

Sweetwater Red
04-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Ok Nostradamus, what's your prediction?

:doh:

Pendragon13
04-22-2011, 09:04 PM
5-3A-

Snyder- has enough returning starters to take the district..but it remains to be seen. I can't say they have the best coaching staff in the district, but the teams are always motivated and will give you a slobber knocker no matter what..

Abilene Wylie- had a bunch of young players get varsity experience last year (more Sophs than I've ever seen) and Sandifer will once again put together a competitive group that overachieves. Even last years team won bi-district..

Sweetwater- should be much improved. This is a team that has been on the verge for a couple years now, and are past due. Won't really know until the pads start slappin..

Brownwood- Same as Wylie, doesn't matter if the superstars are gone..the coaching staff will put together a competitive bunch that can't be overlooked.

Big Spring- on paper they should be beating the dog out of the other teams in the district. Just proves that size and speed doesn't always make the best football players. They haven't been in the district long enough (and I didn't see them play last year) so I can't really say what they'll bring to the table.

ccmom
04-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Ok Nostradamus, what's your prediction? Haha...you should reserve that title for yourself, dear. I will take that to mean you are serious. Good for you! :D

garciap77
04-22-2011, 11:23 PM

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Rocket2-1-1-1.jpg

LOL

bwdlionfan
04-23-2011, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Rocket2-1-1-1.jpg

LOL

Funny you don't remember the first two years we played. The series is 3-2 Brownwood.

cowboyandchrist
04-23-2011, 07:43 AM
As long as coach S is at Carthage, he will develope a QB and the o-line will be very good. Carthage will be in the hunt again. I won't go so far as to say 4 pete for the Dogs, but with that coaching staff and the talent they have in Carthage, you can not count them out. I believe the state champion will come out of the district of doom. I also think Chapel Hill will be in the mix again this year. The speed from the East is coming again with Gilmere, Henderson, Chapel Hill, and Carthage leading the way.
Come on football season hurry and get here.

garciap77
04-23-2011, 08:50 AM
Funny you don't remember the first two years we played. The series is 3-2 Brownwood.

Your are not in 4A, so those don't count, ask Rocket!:D

:p

;)

garciap77
04-23-2011, 08:52 AM
As long as coach S is at Carthage, he will develope a QB and the o-line will be very good. Carthage will be in the hunt again. I won't go so far as to say 4 pete for the Dogs, but with that coaching staff and the talent they have in Carthage, you can not count them out. I believe the state champion will come out of the district of doom. I also think Chapel Hill will be in the mix again this year. The speed from the East is coming again with Gilmere, Henderson, Chapel Hill, and Carthage leading the way.

4 pete 4 pete 4 pete 4 pete 4 pete 4 pete

bwdlionfan
04-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Your are not in 4A, so those don't count, ask Rocket!:D

;)

Heck, Wylie's enrollment was larger than Brownwood's even when we were in 4A.

garciap77
04-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Heck, Wylie's enrollment was larger than Brownwood's even when we were in 4A.

:lies:

;)

bwdlionfan
04-23-2011, 01:16 PM
:lies:

;)

Garcia, the only thing you say that makes sense is in your signature!

ctown
04-23-2011, 08:36 PM
I predict Celina will be as good as they were going to be this time last year. Good gosh almighty, you can't be any better than "gonna win state". (sarcasm). Yes we should be good. More curious about the choices the coaches make than the talent of the kids. Kids are top quality.

slingshot
04-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Wylie will be better--I predict 2nd in district. Snyder should be the class of the district. Brownwood will slip to third (only because of an awesome coaching job by Shipley and Co.).
Snyder is loaded and with some luck and good health could do real damage in the playoffs. Wylie will go 2-3 rounds deep and Brownwood will bow in the 1st or 2nd round. Sweetwater? Good enough to beat up on some decent 2A teams... still not ready for primetime. Big Spring? Consistently does less with more talent than any team I've ever seen... and I've followed them for 20 years.

garciap77
04-23-2011, 10:44 PM
Garcia, the only thing you say that makes sense is in your signature!

;)

buckeyebob
04-24-2011, 06:05 AM
+1

buckeyebob
04-24-2011, 06:15 AM
Yep, I know Pope is back. I must've been thinking of Thompson.:doh: They had a special group of players graduate this year. They will miss them, too, and it'll definitely show early in the season. I don't think the next crop will be able to carry them to the state title again. They'll still be good, just not good enough for another title this year, in my opinion. I'd definitely be surprised if they made it any further than the regional finals this year, but they have surprised us before.... :thinking: I just think their state title string ends this year.;)

I'm seeing the Bucks surprising eveyone...I will predict thatwe will have a perfect Home Game record this year, even though there is only three games...Daingerfield, Carthage & Henderson.

The Bucks will have a special bunch and the East Side of the Field will be yelling for mercy...mark my words.

orange machine
04-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by buckeyebob
I'm seeing the Bucks surprising eveyone...I will predict thatwe will have a perfect Home Game record this year, even though there is only three games...Daingerfield, Carthage & Henderson.

The Bucks will have a special bunch and the East Side of the Field will be yelling for mercy...mark my words.
I think D2 is gonna be a tough and Argyle will be the favorite. They return alot of starters including there qb who impressed me last year. The Bucs will probably see them again and unless the Bucs have some brutes coming up I dint think things will be much different than last years game.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
04-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Hopefully they'll be better than last year! Hopefully kids from the 9-1 Freshman team and 10-0 JV will help.

Just sucks that it seems when they hit Varsity, they forget how to protect a football. :(

buckeyebob
04-25-2011, 04:58 AM
I think D2 is gonna be a tough and Argyle will be the favorite. They return alot of starters including there qb who impressed me last year. The Bucs will probably see them again and unless the Bucs have some brutes coming up I dint think things will be much different than last years game.

Bucks are returning their QB (Turner) & the go-to receiver(Traylor)as well as a number of others...a bunch of tested young guys... some tricks up our sleeve...the Bucks are renowned for administering payback...and this is the year.

waterboy
04-25-2011, 07:25 AM
The Buckeyes will beat Tadumb AND Carthrage this year. Mark my words. ;) No 4 pete in the cards for Carthrage. You can take that to the bank.:cool:

bobcat1
04-25-2011, 07:48 AM
The Bobcats will be dressed in beautiful Orange and White!:D

trojandad
04-25-2011, 07:49 AM
we'll be one game better than last year.....(he said, tongue in cheek).....

seriously, i think carthage's coach stayed for the same reason coldspring's coach did, they both see substantial talent coming for a period of time....they both coulda gotten SUBSTANTIALLY more money elsewhere....i'd hate to bet against either of us....

i agree henderson might be the team to beat.....

i've said it before, but anyone overlooking wimberley won't like the result.....barring a bad injury, i dont see their coach allowing the same defensive backfield problems they had against us again.....if we are lucky enough to go back to the big party, i completely believe they will be the biggest bump in the road to get there....

and all the while i say this, notice how nobody is talking about WO-S just because of the coach's change, the end of last year, etc.....

theville
04-25-2011, 08:36 AM
Stephenville will be about the same. Get beat by Aledo in the first and last game in the Qtrs.

Sad deal.

cr180t
04-25-2011, 09:26 AM
I would bet on Stephenville this year.

buff4ever
04-25-2011, 09:55 AM
I expect Giddings to do better than our last years 5-5. we have only had a record that bad or worse 3 times in some 30 years. So it is unlikely that we will repeat that in back to back years.

The kids will be excited in new system with new Head Coach.

orange machine
04-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by theville
Stephenville will be about the same. Get beat by Aledo in the first and last game in the Qtrs.

Sad deal.

Oh Stephenville I remember back in the early 90's when they had Jason Bragg and Bill Odell those dudes were huge. I saw a video clip of Stephenville and Sherman back about a year ago when they played at pennington field in 94 I think every single Yellowjacket player had a neck roll on including CB'S. I think the only player that didnt have a neck roll was the QB.

cowboyandchrist
04-26-2011, 12:02 AM
The Buckeyes will beat Tadumb AND Carthrage this year. Mark my words. ;) No 4 pete in the cards for Carthrage. You can take that to the bank.:cool:
I have a question for you, has Gilmore ever beat Carthage, and you should beat Tatum they are 2a. Wait I forgot a 2a Tatum beat Gilmoore last year. Carthage will beat you again and you are still suppose to beat a 2a team but will you. I hope for your sake you can beat Tatum this year, we lost a lot of players to be able compete against the likes of Gilmeers, because if you can't beat Tatum you will never walk on the same field with Carthage.

buckeyebob
04-26-2011, 05:19 AM
I have a question for you, has Gilmore ever beat Carthage, and you should beat Tatum they are 2a. Wait I forgot a 2a Tatum beat Gilmoore last year. Carthage will beat you again and you are still suppose to beat a 2a team but will you. I hope for your sake you can beat Tatum this year, we lost a lot of players to be able compete against the likes of Gilmeers, because if you can't beat Tatum you will never walk on the same field with Carthage.

No, we have not beaten Carthage in recent times (it seems that we did play them & beat them long ago). Carthage moved from 4A in 2002. We played them 1st in 2008 Quarter Finals loosing 31-28.
Tatum did beat Gilmer last year for the 1st time in 10 years (2000). Tatum, like Daingerfield (the 2A, Div.1 State Champ for 08, 09, & 10), has always had a good program & great athletes. Daingerfield has 1 loss per year for the last 3 years & it would be to the Buckeyes. Tatum did a good job last year but I do think that basking in the glory will be short lived. We will visit your fine city on Sept. 2 and I am sure we will renew the annual spanking of the Eagles. Best of luck against Daingerfield this year...maybe you can finish the season with a single loss.

RoyceTTU
04-26-2011, 06:28 AM
I would bet on Stephenville this year.

I don't know. It's hard to bet against J. Gray.

Ville - is that shifty little back that played the 2nd half against Bwd last year back. He sure looked like he would be a stud once he started getting the ball regularly.

hookandladder
04-26-2011, 06:37 AM
La Grange will be an improved overall team this next year, returning on offense will be the QB and both RB's also the OL will be huge and athletic. On defense Chad Childs (D1-Talent) will anchor this side of the ball, a solid group of players coming up from JV will provide some much needed depth and will also be very big and athletic. With the loss of our D-1 WR and an improved OL , LG will rely more on the run to setup the pass unlike last year. Rockdale would have to be the favorite in our District next year, depending on the outcome of their D-1 LB.

Eagle 1
04-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Goldthwaite will be about the same as last year.
We graduated some good Sr's but we will reload this year from a good jv squad.

cr180t
04-26-2011, 10:45 AM

Ville - is that shifty little back that played the 2nd half against Bwd last year back. He sure looked like he would be a stud once he started getting the ball regularly.

I agree he is very good super good etc. Some of his bad games or lower yardage has come against the Ville. I know they play Defense and

hollywood
04-26-2011, 11:31 AM

Sville will be as good if not better in 2011. They were young as well. The RB core will be strong again. Edwards will be a SR and Westbrook will be a JR. The older Westbrook will be a SR... he plays mostly D as the FS.

Aledo will be hard to beat again with Gray and Bishop both returning.

hollywood
04-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by slingshot
Wylie will be better--I predict 2nd in district. Snyder should be the class of the district. Brownwood will slip to third (only because of an awesome coaching job by Shipley and Co.).
Snyder is loaded and with some luck and good health could do real damage in the playoffs. Wylie will go 2-3 rounds deep and Brownwood will bow in the 1st or 2nd round. Sweetwater? Good enough to beat up on some decent 2A teams... still not ready for primetime. Big Spring? Consistently does less with more talent than any team I've ever seen... and I've followed them for 20 years.

LOL... are you just shooting from the hip on your predictions??? lol

hollywood
04-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Brownwood graduated several key players without a doubt. There are also several key players coming back... some in different positions than last season, that will fill the voids. I can tell you this, they have some new faces and will not disappoint in 2011. Look for them to battle for the DC again and make a deep run in the playoffs. It's 3A for crying out loud!!

Brownwood
Snyder
A. Wylie

In order of Dist. 5-3A

Lucky2Coach
04-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
La Grange will be an improved overall team this next year, returning on offense will be the QB and both RB's also the OL will be huge and athletic. On defense Chad Childs (D1-Talent) will anchor this side of the ball, a solid group of players coming up from JV will provide some much needed depth and will also be very big and athletic. With the loss of our D-1 WR and an improved OL , LG will rely more on the run to setup the pass unlike last year. Rockdale would have to be the favorite in our District next year, depending on the outcome of their D-1 LB.

What school did Wilkerson end up signing with? He was impressive!

ccmom
04-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by hollywood
LOL... are you just shooting from the hip on your predictions??? lol

Says the king of shooting from the hip and shooting off at the mouth! :rolleyes: :D

Cheers! :p

slingshot
04-26-2011, 03:13 PM
LOL... are you just shooting from the hip on your predictions??? lol Seriously? Coming from a Brownwood poster??? Brownwood will be very lucky to make the playoffs as the 3rd place representative... and then only due to the skill of the coaching staff. Huge graduation losses, weak JV last year, lotta teams with payback on their minds... gonna be a tough season for the Lions.
Wylie re-loads next year. Lot's of returning lettermen, strong JV (only loss was to S'ville), return several players that missed last year with injuries... and our coaching staff returns too.

hollywood
04-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Says the king of shooting from the hip and shooting off at the mouth! :rolleyes: :D

Cheers! :p

LOL!! You know, you never rolled those eyes in person!! ;)

At least I'm not the one (mmm, mmm, slingshot) making predictions about teams I know nothing about... aka ignorant posts!

Cheers ccmom!

hollywood
04-26-2011, 03:31 PM
Seriously? Coming from a Brownwood poster??? Brownwood will be very lucky to make the playoffs as the 3rd place representative... and then only due to the skill of the coaching staff. Huge graduation losses, weak JV last year, lotta teams with payback on their minds... gonna be a tough season for the Lions.
Wylie re-loads next year. Lot's of returning lettermen, strong JV (only loss was to S'ville), return several players that missed last year with injuries... and our coaching staff returns too.

Are you sure your're not from Brownwood???

hookandladder
04-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Lucky2Coach
What school did Wilkerson end up signing with? He was impressive!

SHSU.

garciap77
04-26-2011, 04:01 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

slingshot
04-26-2011, 10:58 PM
At least I'm not the one (mmm, mmm, slingshot) making predictions about teams I know nothing about... aka ignorant posts
I know enough about your team... which of my three statements are not true? Ya'll blew your chance last year. Nothing ignorant about it...

hollywood
04-27-2011, 08:46 AM
I know enough about your team... which of my three statements are not true? Ya'll blew your chance last year. Nothing ignorant about it...

Again, you have mentioned you know. lol Are you sure OR are you just guessing again?

How many returning starters are coming back?
Who are some new players in the mix?
Who will be the QB replacement(s)?

You're just taking a shot in the dark slingshot. Work on your aim man. lol

I see your team being improved this year. AW was young last year and always has plenty of players go out for football. Great coaching staff.

I know this... Coach Shipley has already expressed how excited he is in what he sees in this years team so far... I'll leave it at that.

trojandad
04-27-2011, 09:47 AM
i have nothing against brownwood, they could have easily won it all last year....what i hope doesn't happen for them is having a huge mental block built up by the players still there that they can't win the big one, should they ever get put in that place again.....

in 92 we went to the finals and didn't even show up for the game (game started almost midnight due to lightning, we never should have played but anyway).....that year we had what was probably our all time best back, ray fisher, 2700 yds.....when southlake carroll dismantled us (first of their string of titles, who was to know?) and ray graduated that year, it seemed like the next year team, though extremely good, carried the attitude that "if we can't win with ray, how can we win without him?"....

our coach had died that year so they were reeling from that as well, but it took 4 yrs for that group (and whatever stigma came from that 92 blowout) before we had a group believing in what they could accomplish, going to the semis and loosing to sealy by 1 pt with us on the 1 yd line as time expired, again, during sealy's streak).....

those remaining players at b'wood know they have probably seen the best player they'll see walk out of graduation and in the back of their minds they know if they didn't win it with him, how tough is it gonna be without him....it's a tough mental uphill battle....

again, before anyone erupts, i'm not wishing this on b'wood, just that it happened to us when we had a pretty darn good team the year after......

hollywood
04-27-2011, 09:53 AM
From a recent news paper article.

“I’ve been really pleased with the way our kids have responded to us this spring,” Shipley said. “They’ve worked really hard and realize that they’re going to have to step up and replace a lot of good players. After losing so many good seniors, most people will write us off. I think we’ll surprise a lot of people. These kids are hungry and have something to prove to all of the doubters.”

hollywood
04-27-2011, 09:57 AM
More of the article from Brownwood Bulletin:

“We are incredibly blessed to have two new additions to our coaching staff for the 2011-12 school year,” Shipley said. “Andy Howard is coming from Early to serve as our co-defensive coordinator and defensive secondary coach and Bryce Monsen is also joining our staff next season as the defensive line coach.”

Monsen was head coach and athletic director at 5A Temple for the last six years, where Shipley once served as an assistant.

“I’ve known Bryce for several years and he is an outstanding coach,” Shipley said. “He’s everything you look for in a coach. He has impeccable character, is a hard worker and has a passion for coaching and helping young men develop and reach their potential not only as players, but fine men.

“My mentor, coach Bob McQueen of Temple, persuaded Coach Monsen to join his staff 16 years ago. He had been a head coach at a 5A school in Utah and had visited with Coach McQueen about Texas high school football. McQueen was so impressed with him that he offered him a job. We are cut from the same cloth so to speak, being influenced greatly by Coach McQueen.”

Shipley added Monsen’s experience as a head coach is a substantial benefit for the program.

“It’s always nice to have former head coaches on our staff,” Shipley said. “He brings a wealth of experience and success. He will be a great mentor for our younger coaches. He has coached against some really good coaches and programs, so we’re looking forward to his input in our program and game planning. He is a meticulous planner and organizer so he brings a lot to the table.”

Monsen pointed to the Lions’ storied tradition and the opportunity to work with Shipley as the biggest reasons for making the move to Brownwood.

“I’ve known Coach Shipley a long time and know what kind of coach and man he is,” Monsen said. “I’m very thankful for the opportunity he’s given me and my family. I wanted to work with him and his fine staff, and Brownwood’s a great place with great tradition.

“I’ve been around kids 22 years, we’re in the kid business, and I’m here to help kids. I know expectations in Brownwood are high as they were in Temple and I appreciate that because there’s not a lot of places where expectations are high every year, and that’s important. It’s very exciting to be here.”

Howard was an assistant under former Brownwood head coach Steve Freeman and left with Early head coach Brad Bowden — another former Brownwood assistant — when Bowden took over as head coach and athletic director at Grape Creek.

“Andy still knows a lot of these kids and their families,” Shipley said. “He was on Coach Freeman’s staff for several years and has an outstanding reputation. He will hit the ground running and is a perfect fit. He has impressed folks around here for a long time, so he’s not an unknown to our kids and our program.

“He brings enthusiasm and a passion for the game that is rarely seen today. He wants to be the best he can be and expects his players to be the same. I’ve visited with some of the kids that he coached here before and they absolutely love him.”

Howard is extremely familiar with the expectations of Brownwood football and embraces the challenges that come with being a coach for the program.

“It’s exciting for me to get back to Brownwood with a great staff and continue to learn as a coach and to have an opportunity to help mold our athletes into young men,” Howard said. “To be a part of the tradition here once again excites me a lot. It feels like I never left and it presents a hunger to strive to achieve extremely high goals.”

Howard will share defensive coordinator responsibilities with Chuck Howard, who appeared to be headed for the same position at 5A Abilene Cooper, but opted to stay in Brownwood. Howard will also fill the coaching void in the secondary created when assistant Mark Wilson made the move to Cooper.

“We were thrilled that Chuck Howard decided to stay in Brownwood,” Shipley said. “Obviously I had already talked to Andy about replacing him so I was really excited when Andy still agreed to come and serve along side Chuck as the co-defensive coordinator when Chuck let us know he wasn’t leaving. In my opinion, Chuck Howard is one of the best in this business so Andy is excited about working with him. I think they’ll work well together.”

The start of two-a-days is more than three months away, but Shipley doesn’t anticipate any additional changes to the coaching staff between now and then.

“I don’t expect anymore coaching changes but when you have a good staff other programs will want them and that’s just part of this business,” Shipley said.

The Lions are coming off a 14-1 season in which they reached the Division II-3A state semifinals, but many new faces will be in the lineup come the fall of 2011. Shipley stated the younger players have progressed well during offseason workouts.

ccmom
04-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Again, you have mentioned you know. lol Are you sure OR are you just guessing again?

How many returning starters are coming back?
Who are some new players in the mix?
Who will be the QB replacement(s)?

You're just taking a shot in the dark slingshot. Work on your aim man. lol

I see your team being improved this year. AW was young last year and always has plenty of players go out for football. Great coaching staff.

I know this... Coach Shipley has already expressed how excited he is in what he sees in this years team so far... I'll leave it at that.

Any truth to the talk that a linebacker from last year's team (and a former Early QB) will be stepping in as QB??:thinking:

BEAST
04-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Any truth to the talk that a linebacker from last year's team (and a former Early QB) will be stepping in as QB??:thinking:

Hadnt heard a thing. Guess time will tell.

BEAST

ccmom
04-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by BEAST

BEAST

Hahaha...you are a terrible liar!! :D

I guess 7 on 7 will give people a pretty strong hint, though. ;)

Old LB
04-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by trojandad
i have nothing against brownwood, they could have easily won it all last year....what i hope doesn't happen for them is having a huge mental block built up by the players still there that they can't win the big one, should they ever get put in that place again.....

in 92 we went to the finals and didn't even show up for the game (game started almost midnight due to lightning, we never should have played but anyway).....that year we had what was probably our all time best back, ray fisher, 2700 yds.....when southlake carroll dismantled us (first of their string of titles, who was to know?) and ray graduated that year, it seemed like the next year team, though extremely good, carried the attitude that "if we can't win with ray, how can we win without him?"....

our coach had died that year so they were reeling from that as well, but it took 4 yrs for that group (and whatever stigma came from that 92 blowout) before we had a group believing in what they could accomplish, going to the semis and loosing to sealy by 1 pt with us on the 1 yd line as time expired, again, during sealy's streak).....

those remaining players at b'wood know they have probably seen the best player they'll see walk out of graduation and in the back of their minds they know if they didn't win it with him, how tough is it gonna be without him....it's a tough mental uphill battle....

again, before anyone erupts, i'm not wishing this on b'wood, just that it happened to us when we had a pretty darn good team the year after......

I can see your point here but I think most folks outside of Brownwood don't realize the effect of Gordon Wood. Brownwood kids grow up realizing they are expected by everyone to win. Granted they are just kids and they are not superhuman but a football culture like the one here is a great thing.

I am sure everyone gets tired of the Brownwood talk but I do believe we have something in the culture that a lot of schools have never experienced.

I have no idea who will play were next year, I am just a fan, but I have convidence they will play hard and have some success.

Old LB
04-27-2011, 11:11 AM

I been thinking that myself but I have no idea. :thinking: Graylon did not have the size to continue with football, however Horton just might. I have not seen him at QB though.

BEAST
04-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Old LB
I been thinking that myself but I have no idea. :thinking: Graylon did not have the size to continue with football, however Horton just might. I have not seen him at QB though.

However, Graylon got a full ride in baseball to ASU.

BEAST

BEAST
04-27-2011, 11:17 AM

As the 7 on 7 coach I can assure you, nothing is set in stone.

BEAST

ccmom
04-27-2011, 11:24 AM

BEAST Very Nice!! :clap:

hollywood
04-27-2011, 11:38 AM

BEAST :clap: Very nice! He deserves it.

hollywood
04-27-2011, 11:42 AM
As the 7 on 7 coach I can assure you, nothing is set in stone.

BEAST

Never is, and never will be.

DDBooger
04-27-2011, 11:42 AM

BEAST
Baseball gives full rides? Either way, that's great.

BEAST
04-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger

Long story short yes. Its like 85 or 90% full. Then they gave him some other sort of scholly for academics, he is very smart. When all is said and done, its a full ride.

BEAST

ccmom
04-27-2011, 11:44 AM

BEAST

Just a reminder....

I know exactly who the Qb is going to be, just not going to say.
BEAST

You aren't fooling anybody. :p

BEAST
04-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Just a reminder....

You aren't fooling anybody. :p

LOL. And, Im still not telling.:p But, as for right now, it really isnt set in stone. But, I do know who it will wind up being.

BEAST

hollywood
04-27-2011, 11:46 AM

Like Beast says, nothing is set in stone... but it's not a secret. There will be others stepping up that weren't in the spotlight last season that will be very impressive.

How about AW? How many key starters return? Nasser coming back?

ccmom
04-27-2011, 11:51 AM
Nasser coming back?

Maybe for homecoming? :thinking: :D

I honestly do not know the exact number of returning starters, but I do know we had LOTS of juniors and a handful of sophs on the field last year. I'm excited to see what happens. :clap:

Bosqueville
04-27-2011, 03:17 PM
I do know the running game will be STOUT!!!!

Cam
04-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by greendawg84
We will be worse , we have no speed and no size at all. Could be a long season for the Dawgs.

You might be some right Greendawg...but I think Burnet will still put up a good fight with what they got...always do...I'm more worried about what boys will step up as leaders. We lost some great seniors....I hear rumblings of too many kids with attitudes with the current bunch......Another problem I see is too many good athletes not wanting to play. How many did we suit up last season? About 28 or so..and we're a big 3A with almost 900 kids. Look at Liberty Hill. Their enrollment is pretty small. But they have a pretty big roster. Burnet is in need of some serious motivation. Whether it comes from the coaching staff or from the kids themselves...Burnet needs to get back to the excitement days of the early 2000's. Burnet fans need to step too! They're too damn quiet in the stands. Remember the Liberty Hill game and the score was 10-10 in the 3rd quarter? We kicked the go-ahead field goal and hardly anyone cheered! On the contrary, LH fans were loud as hell & impressive....Anyway, I'm might be totally wrong here....
I still think Burnet will sneak into the playoffs.
But quite honestly, I'm more excited about the 5th thru 7th graders. That's gonna be an interesting bunch with all that size (there are some man-children there) & plenty of tall skinny fast kids. Plus, my boy is one of em'!

LeonJr
04-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Better. 10-0

hookandladder
04-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger

I know for a fact that softball gives full rides if you go out of State, with the full ride you also get extra money to boot. LSU gave this to my backdoor neighbor for softball, sweet deal. I would assume baseball is the same,also it is for 5 years.