PDA

View Full Version : Summer Workout

OLE'BULL
04-20-2011, 10:32 AM
It is getting close to graduation, which means preparation for 2 a days and the season is nearing. No X Man, high schools cannot have mandatory football workouts. Does anyone know what their football team does to prepare. I know we used to have a NON MANDATORY morning and evening workout and you decided which one you were going to attend. It usually consisted of lifting and then a running workout, depending on what you lifted that day. Anyone have any scoop on what the Bulls will be doing to forever forget the 2-8 season???

hookandladder
04-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by OLE'BULL
It is getting close to graduation, which means preparation for 2 a days and the season is nearing. No X Man, high schools cannot have mandatory football workouts. Does anyone know what their football team does to prepare. I know we used to have a NON MANDATORY morning and evening workout and you decided which one you were going to attend. It usually consisted of lifting and then a running workout, depending on what you lifted that day. Anyone have any scoop on what the Bulls will be doing to forever forget the 2-8 season???

La Grange normally has workouts in the morning, one early and one a little later. I am expecting a huge turnout , have some quality kids returning with high expectations. I was told by a parent form Bellville that the new AD/HC was not going to have mandatory offseason football, meaning basketball and baseball players that play football were not going to have to go to offseason football. Any truth to this.

OLE'BULL
04-20-2011, 11:06 AM
I haven't heard anything about it but thats not saying alot. I think that maybe he should give them a choice. After last season, I would be spending as much time as possible making sure we dont have a repeat

OLE'BULL
04-20-2011, 11:07 AM
I haven't heard anything about it but thats not saying alot. I think that maybe he should give them a choice. After last season, I would be spending as much time as possible making sure we dont have a repeat

Just re-read your post. I guess you are saying they will have a choice. Sorryyyyy

hookandladder
04-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Just re-read your post. I guess you are saying they will have a choice. Sorryyyyy

I do not know if they have a choice one way or the other , just heard it would not be mandatory. Personally, I think this hurts kids to not be in offseason. You get very little conditioning in baseball, kids get out of shape. My son plays both football and baseball and I definitely support offseason/football, with kids being able to play select softball/baseball and other sports during the summer I think it is important for offseason football during the school year. I know X-Man is all for it.

GrTigers6
04-20-2011, 11:42 AM
We have workouts in the mornings for most of the ones who can make it. and a coach is there all day for those who have to work in the mornings

Send_the_House
04-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
We have workouts in the mornings for most of the ones who can make it. and a coach is there all day for those who have to work in the mornings

You mean a coach spends his whole day up there, all summer? I thought all coaches/teachers got summer off?

Ernest T Bass
04-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Send_the_House
I thought all coaches/teachers got summer off?

:spitlol: :fnypost: :clap:

GrTigers6
04-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Send_the_House
You mean a coach spends his whole day up there, all summer? I thought all coaches/teachers got summer off? they take turns covering

Dr Death
04-21-2011, 09:44 AM
We don't take turns. We coach lifting and conditioning everyday. Then we have staff meetings until lunch.
It great having 3 months off in the summer and being done everyday at 3!!

Ernest T Bass
04-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Dr Death
We don't take turns. We coach lifting and conditioning everyday. Then we have staff meetings until lunch.
It great having 3 months off in the summer and being done everyday at 3!!

We have weightroom and performance course until 6, then 7 on 7 in the evenings.
Gotta love those summers off.

Emerson1
04-21-2011, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
I do not know if they have a choice one way or the other , just heard it would not be mandatory. Personally, I think this hurts kids to not be in offseason. You get very little conditioning in baseball, kids get out of shape. My son plays both football and baseball and I definitely support offseason/football, with kids being able to play select softball/baseball and other sports during the summer I think it is important for offseason football during the school year. I know X-Man is all for it.
La Grange baseball let's their kids get out if shape? For some reason I doubt such a prestigious baseball program just let's their players get that out of shape.

Your logic is completely backwards. You should wants kids playing baseball up until June when it ends, then getting back into shape for football. Not do off season, then play select baseball all summer and lose it all.

hookandladder
04-21-2011, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
La Grange baseball let's their kids get out if shape? For some reason I doubt such a prestigious baseball program just let's their players get that out of shape.

Your logic is completely backwards. You should wants kids playing baseball up until June when it ends, then getting back into shape for football. Not do off season, then play select baseball all summer and lose it all.

I am saying the kids that do not go thru offseason get out of shape , no matter what sport you are playing you need a good workout. During baseball practice there is very little time to work on conditioning (Bigger,stronger,faster), doing offseason during spring sports benefits each athlete. The seniors have to take it upon themeselves to stay in shape after football is over, you can tell it in spring sport if they stop working out.

dog40
04-21-2011, 11:47 AM
La Grange normally has workouts in the morning, one early and one a little later. I am expecting a huge turnout , have some quality kids returning with high expectations. I was told by a parent form Bellville that the new AD/HC was not going to have mandatory offseason football, meaning basketball and baseball players that play football were not going to have to go to offseason football. Any truth to this.

He probably told the committee/school board this in the interview process and now has to back it up. Sometimes a candidate will be asked a question regarding your off-season workouts and you better be careful how you answer it. My thoughts are you better get all football players back in the off-season weight room or you may be staring at 2-8 again.

Ernest T Bass
04-21-2011, 11:54 AM
I use a commitment points system. Kids get so many points for things they do outside of the athletic period(after school weights, "b" team track, "JV" powerlifting, etc...). A 2nd sport counts as much as after school weights. Never want to discourage kids from playing other sports, plus the added competition always helps. But, they're still in offseason. They lift during the period during FB season, they can lift during the period during baseball season, too.

hookandladder
04-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
I use a commitment points system. Kids get so many points for things they do outside of the athletic period(after school weights, "b" team track, "JV" powerlifting, etc...). A 2nd sport counts as much as after school weights. Never want to discourage kids from playing other sports, plus the added competition always helps. But, they're still in offseason. They lift during the period during FB season, they can lift during the period during baseball season, too.

I agree , this is what LG does as for as the offseason. Only exception is on baseball gamedays , Varsity players go to the field and hit during the athletic period. No point system.

Ernest T Bass
04-21-2011, 12:54 PM
I agree , this is what LG does as for as the offseason. Only exception is on baseball gamedays , team goes to the field and hits during the athletic period. No point system.

Yep, don't lift on gamedays. Although I know of at least one very successful program who believes in lifting heavy on gamedays.

XMan
04-21-2011, 01:11 PM
I love how im getting props in this post. Lets see, Bellville football: no playoffs. Bellville baseball:district champs. lol In all seriousness, yall make too much of this. Just the fact that so many people think football must be year round is so ridiculous. Sure, those that only play football can do it year around, great for them. Those that are not football only should not be thrown into football slavery. If football is that important, tell the football guys they can only do football, no second sport. What its coming to is having every kid pick one sport and do it year round. Imo, that is not what small school athletics is about. Besides, its all good as long as all the studs pick football. When the studs start picking something other than football, all hell breaks loose. There is pletty of time to do everything but lots of selfish, egotistical football mongers cant stand to see it that way. Football, football, football, eat, sleep, drink, football. People like that are nuts to me. High school sports are supposed to be about educating students through sports, having fun playing the sports, and being given opportunities. Athletics is getting so blown out of proportion that its really making me sick.

dog40
04-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by XMan
I love how im getting props in this post. Lets see, Bellville football: no playoffs. Bellville baseball:district champs. lol In all seriousness, yall make too much of this. Just the fact that so many people think football must be year round is so ridiculous. Sure, those that only play football can do it year around, great for them. Those that are not football only should not be thrown into football slavery. If football is that important, tell the football guys they can only do football, no second sport. What its coming to is having every kid pick one sport and do it year round. Imo, that is not what small school athletics is about. Besides, its all good as long as all the studs pick football. When the studs start picking something other than football, all hell breaks loose. There is pletty of time to do everything but lots of selfish, egotistical football mongers cant stand to see it that way. Football, football, football, eat, sleep, drink, football. People like that are nuts to me. High school sports are supposed to be about educating students through sports, having fun playing the sports, and being given opportunities. Athletics is getting so blown out of proportion that its really making me sick.

You state a lot of valid points. My point is that this job was open b/c of a poor football season.

XMan
04-21-2011, 01:39 PM
How is not having a few baseball guys going through offseason football REALLY going to hurt the football next fall? VERY, VERY, VERY little in my opinion. How many of the baseball guys are going to be key cogs to next years team? Is anyone stopping baseball/football guys from lifting/working out AFTER baseball practice? As soon as baseball ends in the next few weeks, football guys will then have 3 months or so to do as much football as they can. Also, those that take baseball AND football seriously are going to respect the football coach much more for letting them have a fair shake in BOTH sports that they love. Good luck Brahmas and thank you to coach Rowe for having more sense than most.

hookandladder
04-21-2011, 01:55 PM
How is not having a few baseball guys going through offseason football REALLY going to hurt the football next fall? VERY, VERY, VERY little in my opinion. How many of the baseball guys are going to be key cogs to next years team? Is anyone stopping baseball/football guys from lifting/working out AFTER baseball practice? As soon as baseball ends in the next few weeks, football guys will then have 3 months or so to do as much football as they can. Also, those that take baseball AND football seriously are going to respect the football coach much more for letting them have a fair shake in BOTH sports that they love. Good luck Brahmas and thank you to coach Rowe for having more sense than most.

If your QB is playing baseball also this might cause some problems if he does not go thru offseason football, offseason/football is really geared towards making every athlete bigger,stronger and faster for every sport. I for one think offseason is great for any kid no matter what sport you play, I feel summer ball is where your sports other then football benefit more. In the summer you can have your whole team play together all summer and be ready for the next year, that is not possible to do in football.

XMan
04-21-2011, 02:08 PM
Summer used to be for summer baseball and having your team play together. Summer is now for 7 on 7 and lifting and running everyday. You must do football 24/7, 365 days a year to improve everyone knows that. Also, you can play all the summer baseball you want but your school coach cant participate with the kids in any way.

sTxforlife
04-21-2011, 02:21 PM
In bellville's case it does hurt them because their qb plays baseball too, if i was the coach i would be wanting him in the weight room during the offseason with all of the other football players.

And as for summer workouts at sealy they have a "voluntary" (i use that term very loosely) workout program during the summer. They have a morning session and an afternoon session that both consist of lifting and running, most of the varsity players are told to come in the morning.

XMan
04-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Im betting that Bellville's QB will be able to turn and hand off and fake with the best of them next year baseball or no baseball. Again, he will have 3 months to work on his ball handling skills although we all know that Sealy people are far superior at handling balls than Bellville folks. lol

truebluestang
04-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Athletic periods at school should be used to develop athleticism. If you give a kid a choice he will choose the easier road everytime which means he wants to go shoot around or field a few extra ground balls. I think you need to get away from that period being a football, basketball, baseball period and focus on the things that will make all programs better- becoming stronger and faster. Some kids hate to work but love to play. They don't realize how much the weight room will benefit them. When will HS coaches reallize that all college programs and professional athletes devote much time to the weight room because it makes them a better athlete? I think some coaches just want to use that period so that they can be finished earlier after school and go home.

runtowin
04-21-2011, 02:47 PM
If all sports (football included) lifted every non-game day and practiced sport specifics after school there would be fewer arguments. Football coaches want to practice during athletics during FB season and lift the rest. Basketball and Baseball coaches want to do drills during the period and scheme/scrimmage after school and occasionally go to the weight room to maintain strength. If they all followed the same routine there would be fewer struggles for athletes.

OLE'BULL
04-21-2011, 02:58 PM
The kids that want to play instead of lift/run are the same ones whos parents are b$tching to the coaches about playing time. If anyone thinks that the workouts during the period are enough, then they have another thing coming when September rolls around...

hookandladder
04-21-2011, 03:10 PM
The kids that want to play instead of lift/run are the same ones whos parents are b$tching to the coaches about playing time. If anyone thinks that the workouts during the period are enough, then they have another thing coming when September rolls around...

You hit the nail on the head, also feel all athlete's should be required to go thru offseason.

runtowin
04-21-2011, 03:16 PM

Not stating that lifting only during the period is enough. But if all were lifting/running in the period than maybe we'd have fewer of the "wanna play only" kids with complaining parents. Might have fewer kids but more dedicated kids that will work hard to get better.

dog40
04-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Im betting that Bellville's QB will be able to turn and hand off and fake with the best of them next year baseball or no baseball. Again, he will have 3 months to work on his ball handling skills although we all know that Sealy people are far superior at handling balls than Bellville folks. lol

Check out your top 25 football programs that are there year in and year out, from Feb. till the end of school they are building chemistry, work ethic, team unity, putting in offensive and defensive schemes, etc. The kids that play baseball and run track do that after school except on game days. Call the Celina's, Wimberley's, Sealy's, Liberty Hill's and find out what their football/2nd sport athlete's are doing during the Spring. This is Texas and you are getting ready for August.

OLE'BULL
04-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by dog40
Check out your top 25 football programs that are there year in and year out, from Feb. till the end of school they are building chemistry, work ethic, team unity, putting in offensive and defensive schemes, etc. The kids that play baseball and run track do that after school except on game days. Call the Celina's, Wimberley's, Sealy's, Liberty Hill's and find out what their football/2nd sport athlete's are doing during the Spring. This is Texas and you are getting ready for August.

+1

LH Panther Mom
04-21-2011, 07:44 PM
I think it is important for offseason football during the school year. I know X-Man is all for it.
:spitlol: :spitlol: :spitlol:

sTxforlife
04-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by dog40

+1

sTxforlife
04-21-2011, 10:16 PM
although we all know that Sealy people are far superior at handling balls than Bellville folks. lol

What's that supposed to mean?

buckeyebob
04-22-2011, 05:33 AM

Sounds like you need to relocate...try Gilmer, Carthage, Henderson, Chapel Hill, Daingerfield, Cayuga...just to name a few here in East Texas...you will have a whole new attitude.

XMan
04-22-2011, 11:10 AM
If you are going strictly for football supremacy, then you are correct about everything. The best way to have a great football team is to have every good athlete in football year round. Lift/run during athletic period year round and do other sports after school. In the spring/summer do some 7 on 7. I cant argue this point. Im sure this is how the big time football schools do it. What Im saying is that if you want to excel in more than one sport, it cant be that way. Tell me the last time Sealy, Cuero, or Wimberly were at the state baseball tournament. Sealy in 86, the others, never. Going back to the point of Bellville's QB playing baseball, would it be better for the town if he chose one sport? I dont think so. You have to get your best players playing, no matter what the sport. Most of you dont realize that you cant just walk out on Feb 1 and become a great baseball player. You have to spend time getting your arm in shape and getting your timing in the cage and working on defense. Also, you cant compare college workouts to high school workouts for 2 main reasons. 1. 99.9999% of college guys only do 1 sport. 2. The NCAA has rules as to what you can do during offseason different than the UIL. NCAA gives you certain amount of days to work as a team in the offseason (fall baseball/spring football) and the rest of that semester can only be used as conditioning. I know I seem like an ass but im just trying to discuss. There is no right or wrong on this topic and we have to agree to disagree. Alot of this just depends on what you want to get out of the athletic program. I applaud those programs that can continue to excel in more than 1 sport because its not easy. Good luck to everyone.

sTxforlife
04-22-2011, 12:01 PM
So your saying that a school cannot excel in multiple sports if the athletes do football everyday? Obviously how the big time schools have their multiple sport athletes workout during the football offseason is working. For example in Sealy, football offseason works out everyday, alternating between lifting, running, etc. For those athletes who do another sport they lift everyday except on gamedays and for us it works pretty good seeing as how not only were we district champs in football, in basketball we made it to the regional tournament and in baseball we finished second and are in the playoffs.

Ernest T Bass
04-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Dont know how we did it, then. Had a top 5 baseball program in 5a DFW. Kids that played football and baseball, only did baseball afterschool(and those were the studs). They did whatever football was doing during the athletic period, unless it was a gameday. Still managed to go 3-4 rounds every year. Go figure.