PDA

View Full Version : Tabloid TV

Bullaholic
04-20-2011, 09:28 AM
I remember the days when morning TV shows like GMA actually had some good news and content that sort of helped me start the day. Now it is nothing but stories about celebrities with mental or substance abuse problems and constant "teaser" story intros. The news stories are nothing but "Entertainment Tonight" or "People" magazine stories with an international news tidbit thrown in now and then. Yes---I am looking to spin the dial and find something with substance---but that just doesn't seem possible in today's entertainment environment.

Walter Cronkite---where are you?

jason
04-20-2011, 09:28 AM
we watch TMZ in bed every night...

Bullaholic
04-20-2011, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by jason
we watch TMZ in bed every night...

That is a paramount example of what I am talking about...abosolutely no substance, or even humor, to me.

jason
04-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
That is a paramount example of what I am talking about...abosolutely no substance, or even humor, to me. the people that are actually on the show are hilarious...

Bullaholic
04-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by jason
the people that are actually on the show are hilarious...

Maybe if you are under 35.....

jason
04-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Maybe if you are under 35..... guilty

Farmersfan
04-20-2011, 10:41 AM
My son just came in from Iraq and spent 10 days with us before reporting back to Bragg on Sunday. He left his copy of JackAss 3 so me and the wife tried to watch it last night. I found absolutly nothing funny about any of it. Most of it was disgusting and nasty. My son said it was the funniest movie he has ever watched. Difference in generations? That is certainly a scary thought.

buckeyebob
04-21-2011, 05:18 AM
Try MSNBC...they are hilarious.

big daddy russ
04-21-2011, 06:30 AM
Maybe if you are under 35.....
It's pretty awful at any age (I'm 31). But the print and broadcast media industries are suffering so much they're starting to have to cater to gossip just to make ratings and to keep the doors open. Here in Houston, one station actually cuts to a TMZ promo in the middle of every newscast.

Needless to say, I don't get my news from the local (or even national) programs. Fox and MSNBC are just as bad. Talk radio is gossip news, and when talk personalities are filtering our news for us, it's just as bad as TMZ.

PPHSfan
04-21-2011, 06:56 AM
I will take TMZ over reality shows with Bruce Jenner or David Hasselhoff or a bunch of New Jersey housewives any day of the week

Bullaholic
04-21-2011, 09:14 AM
This one takes the cake---now we are going to glorify the lives of mob wives and make them even richer with legit money...

Mob Wives (http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/mob-wives-women-mafia-families-star-reality-series/story?id=13416335)

Whatever happened to any sense of pride and honor in American entertainment?

PPHSfan
04-21-2011, 10:42 AM
This one takes the cake---now we are going to glorify the lives of mob wives and make them even richer with legit money...

Mob Wives (http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/mob-wives-women-mafia-families-star-reality-series/story?id=13416335)

You got that right!

I want to watch a show where mom stays at home and wears a dress and a pearl necklace, then dad comes home and gets hard on the beaver.

Bullaholic
04-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
You got that right!

I want to watch a show where mom stays at home and wears a dress and a pearl necklace, then dad comes home and gets hard on the beaver.

Nice reply to be able to get to use that line....:D

But, the time of the "Beaver" was a happy time entertainment-wise for a lot of folks in this country.

Txbroadcaster
04-21-2011, 10:47 AM

There has NEVER been honor and pride in Entertainment or newspaper.

PPHSfan
04-21-2011, 10:54 AM
There is still plenty of quality entertainment available. And there has always been crap to sift in order to find it.

My TiVo these days is set to grab:

House
Man vs Food
Dirty Jobs
and I can't wait till June for the new season of The Glades.

Bullaholic
04-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
There has NEVER been honor and pride in Entertainment or newspaper.

I agree, but I just don't think the media plumbed the depths in the past as it is doing now with abject media prostitution and pandering. I do not want to appear as a member of the self-rightous moral majority---it is not necessisarily lewd content that irritates me the most, but rather the quality of content and presentation methods.

Txbroadcaster
04-21-2011, 11:05 AM
I agree, but I just don't think the media plumbed the depths in the past as it is doing now with abject media prostitution and pandering. .

Only difference is now the media has so many more platforms to deliever with the internet.

Bullaholic
04-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Only difference is now the media has so many more platforms to deliever with the internet.

True--the entertainment spectrum dwarfs that of years ago. Everything is "hype and hook" now instead of just good straight delivery. Ads are legion on broadcast channels and a lot of cable channels.

Txbroadcaster
04-21-2011, 11:15 AM
True--the entertainment spectrum dwarfs that of years ago. Everything is "hype and hook" now instead of just good straight delivery. .

ur right..funny thing is..the Hype and Hook was taken from the local news that have been doing it since the 60's..The National news saw the success of things like

YOUR KID COULD DIE...Find out tonight at 10:30..then of course that story was buried until the last segment before sports and it would turn out to be a generic story of no substance.

BEAST
04-21-2011, 01:50 PM

That is the funniest line Ive read in a long time. Where did mom get that pearl necklace.......:D

BEAST

Farmersfan
04-21-2011, 03:00 PM
You got that right!

I think it was about 10 years ago when a group of psychologists released a statement that there was more disfunction in the Ward Clever family than there was in the Al Bundy family. anyone else remember when that story came out?

eagles_victory
04-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Typical people think the past was so much better with the "good old days syndrome" back in the good old days it was so much better. Fact is it probably was just as bad in the past people just want to remember the good things not the bad.

sinton66
04-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Typical people think the past was so much better with the "good old days syndrome" back in the good old days it was so much better. Fact is it probably was just as bad in the past people just want to remember the good things not the bad.

Not so. People were much more relaxed and unassuming back then. Life was simple. When the country went to war, EVERYBODY jumped in and did their part. Criminals were punished not made into heros. There was respect for people who worked hard and kept their noses clean and out of everyone else's business. Schools were in the business of delivering educations, not baby-sitting. Churches preached damnation and hellfire not "tolerance". Sure there was some "bad", but the good far outweighed it.

Txbroadcaster
04-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Not so. People were much more relaxed and unassuming back then. Life was simple. When the country went to war, EVERYBODY jumped in and did their part. Criminals were punished not made into heros. There was respect for people who worked hard and kept their noses clean and out of everyone else's business. Schools were in the business of delivering educations, not baby-sitting. Churches preached damnation and hellfire not "tolerance". Sure there was some "bad", but the good far outweighed it.

uhh before WWII the country was not relaxed..it was wide spread panic and fear about the economy...yes people jumped into fight..because America was attacked and even with people going to fight they still needed a draft.

just like people jumped into fight after 9/11..the wars where america were not outright attacked..Korea, Vietnam and WWI to an extent there was not mass hey lets go fight.

eagles_victory
04-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Not so. People were much more relaxed and unassuming back then. Life was simple. When the country went to war, EVERYBODY jumped in and did their part. Criminals were punished not made into heros. There was respect for people who worked hard and kept their noses clean and out of everyone else's business. Schools were in the business of delivering educations, not baby-sitting. Churches preached damnation and hellfire not "tolerance". Sure there was some "bad", but the good far outweighed it. Criminals are made into heros now?