PDA

View Full Version : HS Sports--I Remember When

Bullaholic
04-19-2011, 10:58 AM
O.k.--I admit it---this is largely an "old person" remembering the "good old days", but hope all will join in:

I remember in HS sports, when:

These teams were powers:

Corpus Christi Ray
Garland
Breckenridge
Jacksboro

Salt tablets were passed out.
Athletic supporters were one color and all made by Jockey
Black high-top tennis shoes worn in basketball
Face masks were one bar, maybe two at the most
There was racial segregation in athletics
Bats were wooden

Ernest T Bass
04-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
O.k.--I admit it---this is largely an "old person" remembering the "good old days", but hope all will join in:

These teams were powers:

Corpus Christi Ray
Garland
Breckenridge
Jacksboro

Bats were wooden

Garland is still a power. Everything else that has changed either had to, or needed to.

Bullaholic
04-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Garland is still a power. Everything else that has changed either had to, or needed to.

Perhaps I had better clarify---I affectionately refer to the "good old days" as an "old school" person apologizing to the young posters for their indulgence---I certainly do not want to infer that many of these things did not change for the better---especially the end of racial segregation in athletics. Perhaps I should have re-phrased my post to avoid any mis-understandings.

pancho villa
04-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Salt tablets were passed out. (yuck I hated them)
Athletic supporters were one color and all made by Jockey(BIKE)
Black high-top tennis shoes worn in basketball( Chuck Taylors)
Face masks were one bar, maybe two at the most(plastic)
There was racial segregation in athletics(I'm not that old)
Bats were wooden(and broke)

Suspenison helmets
short shorts in basketball
baseball pants and hats worn the right way

FHS 74
04-19-2011, 11:22 AM
I remember being on the field for 2-A-Days at 6 am until 10 am and coming back for the afternoon practice at 4-7, for 2 straight weeks.

I remember when winning the District Championship was a big deal especially since everyone else in your disrtict was done.

When you got a pair of white football shoes you were styling.

Basketball wasn't a game of 3 point shooting and dunk shots, it was fundamentals.

Ernest T Bass
04-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
baseball pants and hats worn the right way

Is there really a right way to wear baseball pants?

Bullaholic
04-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Is there really a right way to wear baseball pants?

LOL-ETB---Think pancho will answer your question? :D

Bullaholic
04-19-2011, 11:27 AM
How bout' handwritten or mimeo playbooks on paper, ETB?

nobogey72
04-19-2011, 11:28 AM
All tracks were cinder

Sometimes they ran the 200m (220 yd) on a straigtaway

Kids would go out on the field after games and ask players for their chinstraps (which only had 2 snaps and helmets never came off their heads during games) If someone gave you their chinstrap and it had blood on it, it was cool.

no such thing as batting gloves or WR gloves.

The starting lineups for pro teams would usually be the same from one year to the next.

Pitchers would pitch 9 innings ALOT.

My wife was young and not all saggy looking

AP Panther Fan
04-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by FHS 74
When you got a pair of white football shoes you were styling.

Lol, I remember when we used the term "styling".....:D

I also remember when all of the run through signs were paper, put together on the gym floor and carefully painted by the girls PE classes.

NastySlot
04-19-2011, 11:33 AM
football was played and practiced on grass................stadiums were almost all wooden....and pressboxes were one story..

and the scoreboard was just a scoreboard.

GrTigers6
04-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by nobogey72
All tracks were cinder

Sometimes they ran the 200m (220 yd) on a straigtaway

Kids would go out on the field after games and ask players for their chinstraps (which only had 2 snaps and helmets never came off their heads during games) If someone gave you their chinstrap and it had blood on it, it was cool.

no such thing as batting gloves or WR gloves.

The starting lineups for pro teams would usually be the same from one year to the next.

Pitchers would pitch 9 innings ALOT.

My wife was young and not all saggy looking Not all tracks were cinder, Ours ws Asphalt, It sucked, especially running hurdles because you always mistime one ever so often:D
part of your conditioning was having to run in the heat.
Converse, canvas basketball shoes
Stadiums that were built by volunteers and or ag/shop classes
Full pad workouts Monday tuesday and wednesday of every week, and full contact.

44INAROW
04-19-2011, 12:01 PM

My wife was young and not all saggy looking

:twitch: :1popcorn:

bobcat1
04-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Salt tablets were passed out. (Loved them)
Athletic supporters were one color and all made by Jockey(some got coated with that yellow balm for sore muscles):D
Face masks were one bar, maybe two at the most (We got some in that had the bar up the middle to protect your nose and allow for better spear shots):D
There was racial segregation in athletics (Freshman year was the first year of intergration)
Bats were wooden

AP Panther Fan
04-19-2011, 12:04 PM
Girls basketball was half-court!:eek:

Bullaholic
04-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Seems like coaches wore a lot of white T-shirts with white pants and had whistles around their necks on braided lanyards.

Girls wore gym uniforms.

Seems like I remember some coaches having paddles.

GrTigers6
04-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Girls basketball was half-court!:eek: Wow!!
That was a really long time ago!:D :D :D

PPHSfan
04-19-2011, 12:38 PM
I remember when......

You had to make the team to wear the uniform.

Gatorade came in a can with a pull tab.

Baseball cleats were metal, and everyone wore the same shoes.

Caps were "fitted" because that's the only choice you had.

Ice was used for injuries, it never made it into the igloo.

The coolest thing that could happen was to get your name in the Sunday paper.

Everyone came to the game Friday. Even the hippies from the smoke pit.

Old Tiger
04-19-2011, 12:42 PM
I remember when Boobie knocked people out in Nikes

Pendragon13
04-19-2011, 02:05 PM
I remember when the first 2 days of two-a-days were used to weed out the posers who only wanted to wear the uniform. No real football fundamentals, but non stop wind sprints, agility drills, timed jogs around the track and limited water breaks in 100F heat separated the men the from boys really fast.:eek:

Back then, dads who came to watch practice were shamed when their sons couldn't cut it...these days they threaten lawsuits.:(

Not old enough to remember single bar facemasks (we had pump up air liners)

No racial segregation in the late 80's early 90's

We could supply our own jocks or use the standard issue whities

We used "panty pads" which were spandex biker shorts with pad pockets..the outer pants had no pad pockets.

neck rolls, elbow pads, gloves and rib cages weren't allowed unless you had a doctor verified injury. (this varied by school of course, and wasn't a UIL rule)

Ranger Mom
04-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Remember when people would smoke cigs in the stands??

Phil C
04-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

These teams were powers:

Corpus Christi Ray
Garland
Breckenridge
Jacksboro

Bats were wooden

Bull, Corpus Christi Miller had some good teams too including the State Championship after Ray High School won theirs.

Lucky2Coach
04-19-2011, 03:25 PM

Garland is not a power! They get beat in the first or second round of the playoffs almost every year. They draw the best kids from seven attendance zones, and the admin makes sure it happens. Underachiever is the word that comes to mind!

Ernest T Bass
04-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Lucky2Coach
Garland is not a power! They get beat in the first or second round of the playoffs almost every year. They draw the best kids from seven attendance zones, and the admin makes sure it happens. Underachiever is the word that comes to mind!

No argument against most of that. But in 5a, DFW, if you can get to the second round consistantly, and no one is shocked to see you still playing in the 4th round, I call that a power.
I know all about the rest of that. Dude, you and I know each other. ;) Remember 9-0? I sure's hell do!

JustAFan
04-19-2011, 03:41 PM
There was no such thing as no-pass, no-play. Parents did not sue the school/district for declaring little Johnny ineligible after he moved in for athletic reasons. Heck, I remember when there was not an attendance zone rule. Of course, that was in another state:D

XMan
04-19-2011, 03:53 PM
I remember when the varsity football coaching staff would consist of 3 or less coaches and they all taught class all day. Maybe we can go back to that soon. I also remember having to drive to the city to develop the game film after the game was over.

GrTigers6
04-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by JustAFan
There was no such thing as no-pass, no-play. Parents did not sue the school/district for declaring little Johnny ineligible after he moved in for athletic reasons. Heck, I remember when there was not an attendance zone rule. Of course, that was in another state:D The no pass no play started my sophomore year and it was a straight six weeks instead of 3 weeks and see how your doing kind of way

LH Panther Mom
04-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Not all tracks were cinder, Ours ws Asphalt, It sucked, especially running hurdles because you always mistime one ever so often:D
Ours was DIRT! And folks were allowed to drive on it, even when it was mud. So, imagine having to RUN on it! :doh: :doh: Oh, and I practiced hurdles on the football field because they wouldn't stand up on the track. :D

Converse, canvas basketball shoes

Worse than the white Converses bball shoes were the Converse track shoes. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :(

GrTigers6
04-19-2011, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Ours was DIRT! And folks were allowed to drive on it, even when it was mud. So, imagine having to RUN on it! :doh: :doh: Oh, and I practiced hurdles on the football field because they wouldn't stand up on the track. :D i practiced on the field myself because i was notorious for barely getting over the hurdles so would sometimes miss one lol

Worse than the white Converses bball shoes were the Converse track shoes. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :( i can just imagine,

DavidWooderson
04-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Permian was what everyone wanted to be when I was in H.S..

Lewisville and Converse Judson.

Small schools, Pilot Point, Schulenberg, Goldthwaite, DeLeon........etc

FB-fanatic
04-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Breckenridge Buckaroos.... Mike Funderburg, the last of the drop-kick field goal kickers. They had enough oil mony to offer dads from small towns like DeLeon oil jobs to get their fast kids to move.

Actually, Comanche made some good runs in late 70's.

Only one team advanced out of district and you anly had to pass one "solid" class.

LH Panther Mom
04-20-2011, 05:27 AM
i can just imagine,
We only got them in white. I never knew that there was another color. lol

http://sneakers.pair.com/l/ct-trk0.jpg

buckeyebob
04-20-2011, 06:08 AM
McClelland Field

No track in town

Beating Gladewater was about as good as it could get

No water...make you tough

Turf was something you mowed

A good bloody cut on the bridge of your nose showed that you were putting your head into it...you had swagger on Monday

Discipline by either running or making you do up-downs or just a good smack to the chest or helment

You understood what "three yards and a cloud of dust" really meant

Ernest T Bass
04-20-2011, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by buckeyebob
You understood what "three yards and a cloud of dust" really meant

4th and 1?:thinking:

Old LB
04-20-2011, 06:51 AM
Anybody remember when a quarteback would pitch the ball and then go throw a block?

Farmersfan
04-20-2011, 08:13 AM
High School girls wore the womens painted on Basketball shorts instead of mens shorts. :eek: :eek:

Ever watch womens college volleyball? :D :D

nobogey72
04-20-2011, 08:31 AM
getting a new pair of PF Flyers was a thrill (and immediately made you faster!) You gotta be really old to remember those.

"Pumping" someone on a bicycle had a different meaning.

Nitrotan------ that stuff burnt like hell

Cramergesic Atomic Balm----- It didn't feel good if someone put a dab in your jock

Stim-O-Stan

Steel Poles

NastySlot
04-20-2011, 08:37 AM
The no pass no play started my sophomore year and it was a straight six weeks instead of 3 weeks and see how your doing kind of way

and if I remember NO PRACTICE also.

AP Panther Fan
04-20-2011, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
High School girls wore the womens painted on Basketball shorts instead of mens shorts. :eek: :eek:

Ever watch womens college volleyball? :D :D

I remember in high school PE, the girls had to wear a one piece gym uniform that was made out of some really heavy duty polyester material that was hotter than hell.

I wonder if the world wide web has a picture of those hot and hideous things?:thinking:

GrTigers6
04-20-2011, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
and if I remember NO PRACTICE also. up until school was out, then your done.
I was in the first class to participate. but thats all it took

Old Dog
04-20-2011, 09:16 AM
Dunging the basketball was a technical foul............

BEAST
04-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Old Dog

Dunging the ball should be a technical. I mean, why should a player get away with putting dung on a ball?:D

BEAST

Ernest T Bass
04-20-2011, 09:19 AM

As it should be!! Dung on a basketball ruins the game for everybody!

NastySlot
04-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by BEAST
Dunging the ball should be a technical. I mean, why should a player get away with putting dung on a ball?:D

BEAST

seen some hoops games that weren't worth a Dung.

nobogey72
04-20-2011, 09:34 AM
As it should be!! Dung on a basketball ruins the game for everybody!

Yeah dung makes the ball hard to handle, and really hard to palm, especially if the dunger had a case of nerves.

Bullaholic
04-20-2011, 09:35 AM
My poor, poor thread......:D It's gone to "dung"....

Pendragon13
04-20-2011, 09:39 AM
I remember when an undersized team (nearly everyone well under 200 lbs) could beat a bigger, stronger and faster team into submission simply by being fearless and a little more crazy.:D

PPHSfan
04-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
I remember when an undersized team (nearly everyone well under 200 lbs) could beat a bigger, stronger and faster team into submission simply by being fearless and a little more crazy.:D

This still happens. It's called 7th grade football in East Texas.

LH Panther Mom
04-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Cramergesic Atomic Balm----- It didn't feel good if someone put a dab in your jock
Dude...we used to use that to tan at track meets. I think it pretty much just got dirt & grass stuck to us, though! :p

I actually own some Kramer something...not the balm, but really thick gunk that looks like brown Vaseline.

MustangFootball
04-20-2011, 10:55 PM
i remember when in baseball the only flat hats were new hats, but that didn't last long cause u put just the right curve in the bill and your idiot teammate made a house out of his bill....and those stupid leggings (socks) we had to wear...lmao :D

bobcat1
04-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Got it as a freshman and gave it for 3 years running. Hot shtuff for sure. :eek:

Old Dog
04-20-2011, 11:10 PM
My ole English teacher would be ashamed......guess I'm just too old to recall proper spelling................

bobcat1
04-20-2011, 11:14 PM
My ole English teacher would be ashamed......guess I'm just too old to recall proper spelling................ Heck my Mom was a sophomore English teacher. That's a nice way to spell something else. :D

Caldwell_Raider
04-21-2011, 06:44 PM
geeez I just read the first page of this..... and some of you guys are olllldddd!!! lol just messing!!! :D :D :D

buckeyebob
04-22-2011, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Remember when people would smoke cigs in the stands??

When did they quit?

buckeyebob
04-22-2011, 05:47 AM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6O5Fyu-rSUM/TXFCjuXRadI/AAAAAAAAAQ0/QgxhYHzD3uw/s1600/funny.jpg

pancho villa
04-22-2011, 08:19 AM
The Western roll. anybody know what that is?

nobogey72
04-22-2011, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
The Western roll. anybody know what that is?

I do. It took the place of the scissor.