PDA

View Full Version : I used to like Eddie Van Halen

Ranger Mom
04-19-2011, 08:45 AM
But after reading Sammy Hagar's new book: "Red: My Uncensored Life in Rock".....Eddie just sounds like a HUGE jerk!! Alex wasn't much better.

I NEVER liked David Lee Roth....he just seemed a little too flamboyantly feminine for me!!

If you have ever been a Sammy Hagar or even Van Halen fan....that is a really good book!!

waterboy
04-19-2011, 09:16 AM
I'm not much into "stars'" personal lives. I find them to be weird more times than not. Van Halen never was the same music-wise once David Lee Roth left. I wasn't a fan of DLR but the music was better in my opinion. I like Sammy Hagar, but Van Halen wasn't as good with him as it was with DLR. They were just never the same, although there were a couple of really good songs with SH. One of my favorites was "Right Now", and still is.

Maroon87
04-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Eddie and Alex have spent half of their lives drunk or in rehab and the other half with everyone kissing their butts. Not surprising that they might not have the best social skills.

And I'm a huge VH fan.:cool:

Ranger Mom
04-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
I'm not much into "stars'" personal lives. I find them to be weird more times than not. Van Halen never was the same music-wise once David Lee Roth left. I wasn't a fan of DLR but the music was better in my opinion. I like Sammy Hagar, but Van Halen wasn't as good with him as it was with DLR. They were just never the same, although there were a couple of really good songs with SH. One of my favorites was "Right Now", and still is.

I liked Hot for Teacher...and that was mainly because of the video. Never liked "Jump"...but then that was because of the video too....that was when Roth just TURNED ME OFF.....too much "pansy" for me!!

I loved Sammy's "I can't Drive 55"....liked a few songs when he was with Van Halen. He just seems really down to earth.

waterboy
04-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I liked Hot for Teacher...and that was mainly because of the video. Never liked "Jump"...but then that was because of the video too....that was when Roth just TURNED ME OFF.....too much "pansy" for me!!

I loved Sammy's "I can't Drive 55"....liked a few songs when he was with Van Halen. He just seems really down to earth.
Van Halen's very first album was the best they ever did in my opinion. After that, a good song here and there, but no consistently good albums.

bolshavik
04-19-2011, 09:34 AM
Man, Runnin with the Devil
Unchained
Dance the Night Away
Jump
Panama
Jamie's Crying
So this is love
Hot for Teacher
I'll Wait
You Really Got Me Going
Finish What Ya Started
Right Now

ALL GREAT SONGS...Most were DLR

Farmersfan
04-19-2011, 09:40 AM
5150 was a great VH album. I like both DJR and Sammy Hagar. In fact Hagar was WAY better with Van Halen than he was as a solo. But i don't think I would trust Sammies version of the truth anymore than I would Eddies!

Ranger Mom
04-19-2011, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
5150 was a great VH album. I like both DJR and Sammy Hagar. In fact Hagar was WAY better with Van Halen than he was as a solo. But i don't think I would trust Sammies version of the truth anymore than I would Eddies!

Eddie today might have some brain cells left....but I can't discount everything Sammy said, especially with so many others backing him up.

Plus....I gotta remember all the things that Valerie Bertinelli said about him too!!!

If I had to pick one's version over the other....it would be Sammy's!

turbostud
04-19-2011, 09:47 AM
I'll Wait (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83eMZZ518xE)

Check out this live version of I'll Wait from a few years ago in Grennsboro NC. Glad I didnt pay 75 bucks to see this. DLR is walking around like he's a president from another country, his vocals are horrible. I would have wanted my money back if I had paid to see this.

Farmersfan
04-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Eddie today might have some brain cells left....but I can't discount everything Sammy said, especially with so many others backing him up.

Plus....I gotta remember all the things that Valerie Bertinelli said about him too!!!

If I had to pick one's version over the other....it would be Sammy's!

Maybe the lesser of two evils? And I also think I would believe Valerie since she was my hearts biggest desire when i was a teenager........ :D

Farmersfan
04-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Have any of you seen Van Halen since the son Wolfgang joined the band. I hear he is pretty dang good.

Ranger Mom
04-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Maybe the lesser of two evils? And I also think I would believe Valerie since she was my hearts biggest desire when i was a teenager........ :D

You and my husband!!!:D

You may be right about the lesser of two evils. I have never been a big VH fan either way.

I loved (back then) and still love....Bon Jovi!!!!:inlove: :inlove:

turbostud
04-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Compare it with this.

Unchained (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P1d8BVvY-I)

Ranger Mom
04-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by turbostud
Compare it with this.

Unchained (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P1d8BVvY-I)

Compare what with that??

44INAROW
04-19-2011, 09:59 AM
My favorite VH song...... (below) saw them in San Antonio - prob summer of 1982 - oh man.. what a night :eek: :cool:

CLICK HERE :) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuB8Qhsl_Z8)

Ranger Mom
04-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
My favorite VH song...... (below) saw them in San Antonio - prob summer of 1982 - oh man.. what a night :eek: :cool:

CLICK HERE :) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuB8Qhsl_Z8)

Like I said....I am not a huge fan of VH, but I just liked them so much better with Sammy!!!

Love that song!!!

pirate4state
04-19-2011, 10:22 AM
Ain't Talkin' About Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuyvT8nFMLY)

I really liked the OU812 album.

Txbroadcaster
04-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Eddie and Alex basically blame every front man for problems, they have never either just taken the high road, or said something like we just did not click...it is always well front man A screwed us and Front man B was lazy and Front Man C was a jerk...sorry but at some point they have to take some blame as well

44INAROW
04-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Ain't Talkin' About Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuyvT8nFMLY)

I really liked the OU812 album.

another good one............. anyone know the meaning behind some of the album names?

Ranger Mom
04-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Eddie and Alex basically blame every front man for problems, they have never either just taken the high road, or said something like we just did not click...it is always well front man A screwed us and Front man B was lazy and Front Man C was a jerk...sorry but at some point they have to take some blame as well

Exactly!! Of course there are going to be the "Van Halen brothers can do NO wrong" sheep.

another good one............. anyone know the meaning behind some of the album names?

Some are discussed in the book!

On a side note: my husband and I got into a "discussion" about whether Eddie was on an episode of Two and a half men. He said it didn't look anything like Eddie Van Halen, but to me it did. I was right, of course!!:D :D :D

Here is the video

CLICK HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1fYpkbq8jM)

He looks better there than I have seen him in a long time!!

Blastoderm55
04-19-2011, 10:35 AM

Oh, you ate one too? :D

44INAROW
04-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Oh, you ate one too? :D

nice :)

Pick6
04-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Saw VH twice in the 80's, once with DLR and once with Hagar. atleast 1/3 of the crowd walked out of the concert with Hagar. It was a hugh disappointment.

1st and goal
04-19-2011, 08:52 PM
As a self appointed music critic...:eek: here's the best ever VH tune.

Happens to have Sammy in front as your hint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAm7-Ao9UQc

It may have not gotten the most air time or radio time. But, if you have a fricken awesome sound system (like I do) feel free to turn it up as loud as you dare....lemme git on some of that.......cookin' with that old time recipe'...

PS, the "Live at the MTV awards" version is great too!

ILS1
04-19-2011, 09:36 PM
Still love VH!!! DLR gave them a more edgier sound while SH gave them a more pop likeable sound. But here is one of my favorite tunes and video with Sammy on vocals:

Dreams (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwi8m4SIejE&feature=fvwrel)

westcoast54
04-19-2011, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
I'll Wait (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83eMZZ518xE)

Check out this live version of I'll Wait from a few years ago in Grennsboro NC. Glad I didnt pay 75 bucks to see this. DLR is walking around like he's a president from another country, his vocals are horrible. I would have wanted my money back if I had paid to see this.

That's AWFUL!!!!

westcoast54
04-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Van Halen with Sammy as the front man is my favorite. They never had a #1 album until Sammy came on board. DLR has had his moments but IMO he's all about the show and could care less about the music.

44INAROW
04-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Sammy Hagar was on Jimmy Kimmel last night, promoting his book. I just saw bits and pieces of his interview but he did say that they should have never done the reunion album/tour - it was a monumental mistake. But he would like to reunite with Eddie and make amends. Well, maybe he should have done that BEFORE his book came out :D

Farmersfan
04-20-2011, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by westcoast54
Van Halen with Sammy as the front man is my favorite. They never had a #1 album until Sammy came on board. DLR has had his moments but IMO he's all about the show and could care less about the music.

I like all their stuff regardless of DLR or Sammy. The talent on that band lies with the Van Halen brothers. Eddie was revolutionary with his guitar playing.

Farmersfan
04-20-2011, 11:03 AM

Didn't they only have one album with Sammy? 5150

westcoast54
04-20-2011, 01:31 PM

Yes that's correct. I think 5150 and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge was their best works. Many good tunes on both.

pero chato
04-20-2011, 01:58 PM
If you like Sammy Hagar, try Montrose's first album from 1973. Great vocals and guitar. One of the best party albums ever.

44INAROW
04-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by pero chato
If you like Sammy Hagar, try Montrose's first album from 1973. Great vocals and guitar. One of the best party albums ever. Rock Candy :)

LH Panther Mom
04-20-2011, 07:06 PM
I have a VERY un-board-friendly DLR story. :devil: :devil:

Blastoderm55
04-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Sammy was on the Balance album. Under-rated in my opinion.

westcoast54
04-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Sammy was on the Balance album. Under-rated in my opinion.

Good album too. I think that album is where all the problems began with Sammy and Eddie.

SINTON81
04-21-2011, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I have a VERY un-board-friendly DLR story. :devil: :devil: Do tell.

Maroon87
04-21-2011, 08:27 AM

Albums with Sammy:

OU812
For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
Live: Right Here, Right Now
Balance

'Necks 2013-14
04-26-2011, 10:26 PM
EVH was(is) the greatest rock guitar player in history--period.

SWMustang
04-26-2011, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by 'Necks 2013-14
EVH was(is) the greatest rock guitar player in history--period.

ok - he's still a jerk off, though.

Ranger Mom
04-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
ok - he's still a jerk off, though.

Some people can't separate talent from personality.

I agree....Eddie is a great guitar player, but as he was portrayed in that book, he sounded like a big fat jerk!!

Same thing with Brett Favre, IMO. He may have been a great QB, but as a person, he is an egotistical dirty old man!!:D

Now...this thread is football related!!:p :p

westcoast54
04-27-2011, 02:07 PM
I'm reading the book. Haven't got to the part where Sammy starts bashing Eddie. So far he's done nothing but praise him. Now, Michael Anthony, that's a different story. He pretty much slams both Eddie and Alex in the forward. I can't believe Sammy's 65. Doesn't look it. BTW, every album Sammy did with Van Halen, went number one. Did not know that.

Ranger Mom
04-27-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm reading the book. Haven't got to the part where Sammy starts bashing Eddie. So far he's done nothing but praise him. Now, Michael Anthony, that's a different story. He pretty much slams both Eddie and Alex in the forward. I can't believe Sammy's 65. Doesn't look it. BTW, every album Sammy did with Van Halen, went number one. Did not know that.

I wouldn't even really consider it "bashing"...more just telling it like it went down!!