PDA

View Full Version : iPhone vs Android

Ernest T Bass
04-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Ok, lots of debate about these two. I had an iPhone 3GS for 2 years, and I recently switched to the Android. So, I thought Id do my public service and compare the two.

First, pros about the Android:
$100 cheaper(biggest one!).
MUCH higher quality camera
Larger screen
Flash video capability
Recognizes Microsoft programs
4G capability
Customization capability

Now, Cons:
What 4G? It's zero point zero percent faster than my iPhone, and might be slower in some cases. Im in the middle of GD downtown Dallas. If I can't get 4G here, it doesn't exist!
Phone capability sucks. Sound quality sucks, drops calls, speaker phone might as well not be included.
Unless you have headphones, flash video might as well not be included either.
Can't take screen shots.
Customization just pisses me off. Was happy with my iPhone right outta the box.
Overall, just not very user friendly. Little things that are easy to do on the iPhone take longer on the Droid. Maybe customization can fix that, but I just don't have time to F with it.
So, Im now on my way to Best Buy trade it in for an iPhone.

VWG
04-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Have heard the same thing about Android. Buddy of mine had an Android for about 3 months and traded it off.

Pendragon13
04-17-2011, 07:18 PM
You have to remember that the iphone came out before Android phones, and just like the first iphone vs current version, Android (the operating system) and the phones have gotten better. Other than the fact that you have multiple different phones to choose from, the Android operating system is based on Linux...which means open source. In other words, more hackable and you aren't limited to the Apple universe for apps. I've heard it said that iphones are for people who don't like technology, yet want to conform and fit in....and Android phones are for people who like tinkering and doing their own thing. I think that's pretty accurate, but I don't think the Android system is hard to use by any means..

oldtownag
04-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Ok, lots of debate about these two. I had an iPhone 3GS for 2 years, and I recently switched to the Android. So, I thought Id do my public service and compare the two.

First, pros about the Android:
$100 cheaper(biggest one!).
MUCH higher quality camera
Larger screen
Flash video capability
Recognizes Microsoft programs
4G capability
Customization capability

Now, Cons:
What 4G? It's zero point zero percent faster than my iPhone, and might be slower in some cases. Im in the middle of GD downtown Dallas. If I can't get 4G here, it doesn't exist!
Phone capability sucks. Sound quality sucks, drops calls, speaker phone might as well not be included.
Unless you have headphones, flash video might as well not be included either.
Can't take screen shots.
Customization just pisses me off. Was happy with my iPhone right outta the box.
Overall, just not very user friendly. Little things that are easy to do on the iPhone take longer on the Droid. Maybe customization can fix that, but I just don't have time to F with it.
So, Im now on my way to Best Buy trade it in for an iPhone.

What 4G phone & service provider? I tried a Verizon Thunderbolt at the store and it smoked.

Ernest T Bass
04-17-2011, 07:32 PM
HTC Inspire, AT&T. Ive been told that it's because it's downloading the Flash, while the iPhone doesn't support Flash.
Pendragon, I don't use my phone as a status symbol or a conversation piece. It's for functionality. Ive learned that there is a cult-like following for all things Apple, and an equally rabid base that is anti-all things Apple. I belong to neither. Ive never owned a Mac, but I was very happy with my IPhone3GS. It took me about 2 weeks to get the hang of it, after that I loved it. Ive had the Droid for almost 30 days, and it still seems cumbersome and awkward, not to mention the shortcomings I listed earlier.

PPHSfan
04-17-2011, 09:01 PM
I love my iPhone.
#thatisall

Ernest T Bass
04-17-2011, 09:14 PM
I loved mine too. Came out of the box ready to go, did everything I ever needed it to do(other than Flash!).

Txbroadcaster
04-17-2011, 09:18 PM
I think it is all about your first exp..My first smart phone is an Android, and I love it..for me it is easy to use because I dont know any different.

Emerson1
04-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Just trade it on in for the iPhone 4.

Ernest T Bass
04-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Just trade it on in for the iPhone 4.

That's the plan. Or, just get another 3GS and save some money. The 4 doesn't look much better. Camera with a flash and on the front, more pixels in the screen, but a crappy speaker.

Emerson1
04-17-2011, 10:38 PM
That's the plan. Or, just get another 3GS and save some money. The 4 doesn't look much better. Camera with a flash and on the front, more pixels in the screen, but a crappy speaker.
The screen alone is worth the upgrade. If you want to stick with a 3GS don't ever handle a 4 cause you won't go back.

Ernest T Bass
04-17-2011, 10:43 PM
Just b/c of the screen? I was perfectly happy with my 3GS. The screen's not worth an extra $150.

DDBooger
04-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Just b/c of the screen? I was perfectly happy with my 3GS. The screen's not worth an extra $150. As little as these phones matter to you, you should just get a Jitterbug. :D

Emerson1
04-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Just b/c of the screen? I was perfectly happy with my 3GS. The screen's not worth an extra $150.
Faster. A little small dimension wise. The light is a lot more convenient then you think it would be. FaceTime is pretty awesome and you can also use Skype with it. It's well worth $200. Never used the 3GS speaker, but I listen to Pandora or 105.3 almost daily and the speaker on the 4 is loud and clear enough, and I'm an audiophile.

There is one thing of the android I am jealous of and that is I couldn't use the Augmented Reality technology they had on show case at the mavs game last night. Pretty cool app that let you point your camera at your game ticket and turn it into a virtual basketball court that you played on.

Ernest T Bass
04-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
As little as these phones matter to you, you should just get a Jitterbug. :D

Ha! Nah, gotta admit, the Iphone is one of the cooler things Ive owned.
Emerson, what light are you talking about?
I have no idea what the hell Augmented Reality is.

Emerson1
04-17-2011, 11:24 PM

Emerson, what light are you talking about?
I have no idea what the hell Augmented Reality is.
The flash on the iPhone 4. Plenty of apps to turn it into a flash light instead of flipping the phone around and trying to light your way liek that. The light is really bright.

I didn't either before last night :D I figured someone here did though lol

Ernest T Bass
04-17-2011, 11:29 PM
The flash on the iPhone 4. Plenty of apps to turn it into a flash light instead of flipping the phone around and trying to light your way liek that. The light is really bright.

I didn't either before last night :D I figured someone here did though lol

Ahhh, ok. My Droid has one of those. It's pretty cool. Didn't think about the iphone having one, too.

Ernest T Bass
04-18-2011, 05:47 AM
Tell me this, if you have the insurance plan, is there really any need for a protective case or screen protector?

Pendragon13
04-18-2011, 05:24 PM
HTC Inspire, AT&T. Ive been told that it's because it's downloading the Flash, while the iPhone doesn't support Flash.
Pendragon, I don't use my phone as a status symbol or a conversation piece. It's for functionality. Ive learned that there is a cult-like following for all things Apple, and an equally rabid base that is anti-all things Apple. I belong to neither. Ive never owned a Mac, but I was very happy with my IPhone3GS. It took me about 2 weeks to get the hang of it, after that I loved it. Ive had the Droid for almost 30 days, and it still seems cumbersome and awkward, not to mention the shortcomings I listed earlier. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-Apple because I think the hardware/software sucks...it's simply because I don't like to be in a closed/proprietary universe, Apple or otherwise. I actually think the ipad/ipad2 are pretty cool, and slightly better overall than the current Android pads...but the lack of a simple usb port for an external keyboard kills it for me. (I hate virtual keyboards) And the thing is, if at some point enough people scream for an external keyboard for the ipad, Apple will oblige with a keyboard they make themselves, and it will likely have a proprietary connector that they won't license to third party hardware makers. (meaning you buy an Apple keyboard at their price or do without)

Emerson1
04-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Tell me this, if you have the insurance plan, is there really any need for a protective case or screen protector?
I wouldn't think so. I like the feel of my case better then the phone.

Saggy Aggie
04-18-2011, 05:40 PM
I started out with the t-mobile mytouch as my first smart phone. I loved it at first and never really understood the hype with the iPhone. After a while, my mytouch got slow and kept screwing up and so when Verizon launched the ip4, I went and got it. I have to say, it's the smoothest running/easiest to operate phone I've ever seen. It does everything I want and it does it fast. Little things are made so they're easy to do, and I can't see myself ever going back to anything other than an iPhone. Hell I like this phone so much that I'm tempted to buy a Mac just because apple makes it.

I've experienced the 'premier phone' that t mobile had to offer at the time and honestly, it's a pile of sh*t compared to this iPhone.

swineflu
04-18-2011, 06:31 PM
My iphone RULZ......can't beat it. Yes to the cover.

Ernest T Bass
04-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Why a cover, if the phone is 100% protected anyway?

JasperDog94
04-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Saggy Aggie
I started out with the t-mobile mytouch as my first smart phone. I loved it at first and never really understood the hype with the iPhone. After a while, my mytouch got slow and kept screwing up and so when Verizon launched the ip4, I went and got it. I have to say, it's the smoothest running/easiest to operate phone I've ever seen. It does everything I want and it does it fast. Little things are made so they're easy to do, and I can't see myself ever going back to anything other than an iPhone. Hell I like this phone so much that I'm tempted to buy a Mac just because apple makes it.

I've experienced the 'premier phone' that t mobile had to offer at the time and honestly, it's a pile of sh*t compared to this iPhone. We have slowly converted most of our technology at home to Apple products. In my experience they just work better and faster than other products.

Emerson1
04-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Why a cover, if the phone is 100% protected anyway?
I like the rubber feel more then the metal. Unless you just hate the extra size of it or the feel of a case you have no reason not to get a case. Why set yourself up from the inconvenience of having to get it repaired?

Ernest T Bass
04-18-2011, 07:20 PM
I like the rubber feel more then the metal. Unless you just hate the extra size of it or the feel of a case you have no reason not to get a case. Why set yourself up from the inconvenience of having to get it repaired?

B/c it's almost $50 extra.

Emerson1
04-18-2011, 07:33 PM
B/c it's almost $50 extra.
Are you getting a solid gold case? The one I have was an overpriced Incipio case from the Apple store, but you can get them cheap.

You can get an Otterbox Defender on amazon for $31, no tax or shipping. Or a slimmer model for $18.

http://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-Defender-iPhone-White-Black/dp/B0048CEBRY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1303172888&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-Verizon-iPhone-Commuter-Black/dp/B003UC1MRA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1303172888&sr=8-8

I have this one - http://www.amazon.com/Incipio-Case-iPhone-Matte-Black/dp/B003SX0P1A/ref=sr_1_19?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1303173026&sr=1-19

Ernest T Bass
04-18-2011, 07:39 PM
See, that's $31 I dont have to pay, otherwise. Whereas for $15 a month, I can drop it in a pool and get a new one for free.

Emerson1
04-18-2011, 07:59 PM
See, that's $31 I dont have to pay, otherwise. Whereas for $15 a month, I can drop it in a pool and get a new one for free.
Go for it - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3302

If you don't want a case don't get a damn case. It's obvious you don't want one, no need to be an ass when someone answers your question.

PPHSfan
04-18-2011, 08:37 PM

I have insurance on my new car too, but I'm not gonna drive it through a sandstorm. I have an otterbox. I can stick my phone in my pocket with keys and change and not mess it up. I'm sorry, but $31 bucks is not a big deal to me. It may be to some.

Ernest T Bass
04-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Not trying to be an ass. Was talking about the Best Buy insurance. $15 a month, completely insured. Liquid damage, broken screen, anything other than lost or stolen, bring it in, get a new one. Done deal.
Just trying watch my spending. Don't know how long I may have to live on savings. Main reason I bought the Droid was that it's supposed to be every bit as good as the IP, but was $100 cheaper.
Still want a quality phone, but $30 is $30. If I don't need to spend it, I dont want to, ya know? That's $30 I can spend on something else. Im pretty frugal. Always have been. Make no appologies for it.

PPHSfan
04-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Just trying watch my spending. Don't know how long I may have to live on savings. Main reason I bought the Droid was that it's supposed to be every bit as good as the IP, but was $100 cheaper.
Still want a quality phone, but $30 is $30. If I don't need to spend it, I dont want to, ya know? That's $30 I can spend on something else. Im pretty frugal. Always have been. Make no appologies for it.

ETB IN 2012!!!

Ernest T Bass
04-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
ETB IN 2012!!!

Ha! My dad likes to joke that we must have had a Jewish milkman.
Is that racist?

PPHSfan
04-18-2011, 10:17 PM
Ha! My dad likes to joke that we must have had a Jewish milkman.
Is that racist?

No. It's sexist.

Milkperson.

Ernest T Bass
04-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
No. It's sexist.

Milkperson.

Ahhh, well, that's ok then.

bigwood33
04-19-2011, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-Apple because I think the hardware/software sucks...it's simply because I don't like to be in a closed/proprietary universe, Apple or otherwise. I actually think the ipad/ipad2 are pretty cool, and slightly better overall than the current Android pads...but the lack of a simple usb port for an external keyboard kills it for me. (I hate virtual keyboards) And the thing is, if at some point enough people scream for an external keyboard for the ipad, Apple will oblige with a keyboard they make themselves, and it will likely have a proprietary connector that they won't license to third party hardware makers. (meaning you buy an Apple keyboard at their price or do without)
The iPad supports a bluetooth keyboard that is very cool.

RoyceTTU
04-19-2011, 02:51 PM
http://www.geekologie.com/2010/09/20/iphone-nightclub.jpg

hollywood
04-19-2011, 04:02 PM
iPhone 4, no question. The square design fits better in your hand. Have had it almost a year and love it! Dropped it a few times, no damage. Tuff! All the apps already out there make it great too. Have a really cool guitar tuning app. Plus, if you run, Nike has the + technology that syncs your shoe with your iPhone or Pod and tracks your training progress.

Good luck!

PPHSfan
04-19-2011, 04:05 PM
There is also a ton of new HARDWARE coming out for the iPhone. ie: a blood pressure cuff with a cool app, just to name one.

oldtownag
04-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Pendragon, I don't use my phone as a status symbol or a conversation piece. It's for functionality. Ive learned that there is a cult-like following for all things Apple, and an equally rabid base that is anti-all things Apple. I belong to neither. Ive never owned a Mac, but I was very happy with my IPhone3GS. It took me about 2 weeks to get the hang of it, after that I loved it. Ive had the Droid for almost 30 days, and it still seems cumbersome and awkward, not to mention the shortcomings I listed earlier.

The Inspire is 4G but it does not have a dual core processor. That might be the culprit slowing you down. All droid phones are not created equal and just because it uses 4G service does not mean it is easy to use and has the features you want/need.

Emerson1
04-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by hollywood
iPhone 4, no question. The square design fits better in your hand. Have had it almost a year and love it! Dropped it a few times, no damage. Tuff! All the apps already out there make it great too. Have a really cool guitar tuning app. Plus, if you run, Nike has the + technology that syncs your shoe with your iPhone or Pod and tracks your training progress.

Good luck!
I have the Nike+ GPS app. It uses gps to track your run. Pretty cool, gives feedback on how fast you ran certain parts and keeps full records of runs.