PDA

View Full Version : I need your input

Ranger Mom
04-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Last weekend I went to Stanton Trade Days where Home Depot had a chance to register for a $5,000 gift card. My sister-in- law both registered, and on the registration form it talked about “consolation prizes.” It asked what our preferred vacation was, preferred leisure activity, etc. It also asked how much our annual salary was…no big deal.

I got a call last night informing me that I didn’t win the $5,000 gift card, but I did win my choice of a 3 day 2 night trip to Las Vegas or Orlando for 2, airfare and hotel accommodations included, or a 6 day 7 night cruise leaving from Galveston, those tickets/accommodations would also be paid for, all we would have to do was pay the taxes.

Feeling very skeptical at this point, I let him on go on. He asked me if I knew where Brownwood, Texas was, I said I did. He said all we would have to do is drive to Brownwood and take a 90 minute SUV tour around a resort and golf course at the lake. He would give us 4 tickets to play golf (that we were free to give away if we chose not to use them) and we were under no further obligation. We would get a $100 gift card to help out with our gas.

Has anyone experienced one of these “promotions” before? I know my boss and his wife did, their airfare to Florida was paid, put them up in a resort for 4 days, and then the boss and his wife proceeded to finish off their “vacation” by going to visit family….thanks to the airfare paid for by this resort.

I know they will try and pressure us, but for one, we DO NOT play golf, and secondly, if we are going to buy a condo on a lake…it darn sure isn’t going to be on Lake Brownwood…(no offense to anyone.) My daughter’s in-laws have a lake house there we are free to use anytime we want.

My sister-in-law got a call from them about 3 hours after I did. We are thinking of just making a day of it, taking a road trip and see what’s up!! After it’s all said and done, we should at least have 8 passes for golf that we won’t want!!

Thoughts, suggestions, imput?????

jason
04-15-2011, 09:23 AM
ill take the golf passes....

those 'take a tour for a free gift' type things are usually legit...

ive had several opportunities to go tour places for a set of free golf clubs but you usually have to be 30+ and married to do it....

i say go for it...

LionKing
04-15-2011, 09:26 AM
That's probably Feather bay resort, very nice places there, some friends from San Angelo are gonna buy one for a retirement/recreation home, Lake Brownwood is 10 ft. low right now like many of the states lakes, but is still in fairly good shape for right now.

Ranger Mom
04-15-2011, 09:28 AM
We will see if he even calls back. He told me to "talk to my husband" and he would call back and set up a time...the tour is only done on Saturdays.

My husband's Saturdays off are few and far between, he will be off next Saturday, but we have grandbaby due around that time, and family coming in for Easter. His next Saturday off isn't until May 7th. This guy is supposedly supposed to call back on May 2nd to set up a time for the 7th.

I'm not holding my breath, but we will see.

Ranger Mom
04-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by LionKing
That's probably Feather bay resort, very nice places there, some friends from San Angelo are gonna buy one for a retirement/recreation home, Lake Brownwood is 10 ft. low right now like many of the states lakes, but is still in fairly good shape for right now.

He said the name, but I didn't catch it. Where my daughter's in-laws house is, all the boat docks are WAY far away from the water right now.

44INAROW
04-15-2011, 09:30 AM
I'd take the golf passes as well... :) I'd take the cruise too :)

Black_Magic
04-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Last weekend I went to Stanton Trade Days where Home Depot had a chance to register for a $5,000 gift card. My sister-in- law both registered, and on the registration form it talked about “consolation prizes.” It asked what our preferred vacation was, preferred leisure activity, etc. It also asked how much our annual salary was…no big deal.

I got a call last night informing me that I didn’t win the $5,000 gift card, but I did win my choice of a 3 day 2 night trip to Las Vegas or Orlando for 2, airfare and hotel accommodations included, or a 6 day 7 night cruise leaving from Galveston, those tickets/accommodations would also be paid for, all we would have to do was pay the taxes.

Feeling very skeptical at this point, I let him on go on. He asked me if I knew where Brownwood, Texas was, I said I did. He said all we would have to do is drive to Brownwood and take a 90 minute SUV tour around a resort and golf course at the lake. He would give us 4 tickets to play golf (that we were free to give away if we chose not to use them) and we were under no further obligation. We would get a $100 gift card to help out with our gas.

Has anyone experienced one of these “promotions” before? I know my boss and his wife did, their airfare to Florida was paid, put them up in a resort for 4 days, and then the boss and his wife proceeded to finish off their “vacation” by going to visit family….thanks to the airfare paid for by this resort.

I know they will try and pressure us, but for one, we DO NOT play golf, and secondly, if we are going to buy a condo on a lake…it darn sure isn’t going to be on Lake Brownwood…(no offense to anyone.) My daughter’s in-laws have a lake house there we are free to use anytime we want.

My sister-in-law got a call from them about 3 hours after I did. We are thinking of just making a day of it, taking a road trip and see what’s up!! After it’s all said and done, we should at least have 8 passes for golf that we won’t want!!

Thoughts, suggestions, imput????? Take the Cruise!!!

Ranger Mom
04-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Take the Cruise!!!

That's the plan! We were supposed to go on a cruise in February and a kaput septic system ate up our cruise money......so that is exactly what I would like to do!!

LionKing
04-15-2011, 09:41 AM
He said the name, but I didn't catch it. Where my daughter's in-laws house is, all the boat docks are WAY far away from the water right now. Most of the docks on the west end of the lake are grounded for now with it being 10 ft. low, Feather Bay is toward the middle/east end of the lake, most of the deep water is either owned by Midland/Odessa people or Brownwood locals, don't know if you've toured the lake by water in the last couple of years, but it's unbelievable the exspensive homes and docks that have been built, some that rival homes on the highland lakes near Austin, one dock down from the state park built by some Midland people cost near a 100 grand, heck you could live just in the dock, unbelieveable !!.

Ranger Mom
04-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by LionKing
Most of the docks on the west end of the lake are grounded for now with it being 10 ft. low, Feather Bay is toward the middle/east end of the lake, most of the deep water is either owned by Midland/Odessa people or Brownwood locals, don't know if you've toured the lake by water in the last couple of years, but it's unbelievable the exspensive homes and docks that have been built, some that rival homes on the highland lakes near Austin, one dock down from the state park built by some Midland people cost near a 100 grand, heck you could live just in the dock, unbelieveable !!.

I haven't been out on the lake in over 20 years probably. We have gone down there, but it has always just been more of a stop-over...mainly on the way to football games.

Old LB
04-15-2011, 10:33 AM
They have been expanding the feather bay area so they are probably trying to sell the new lots. The course there is pretty good from what I hear, don't play golf.

DavidWooderson
04-15-2011, 11:29 AM
When I was in High School.....Early 90s....dating myself there...lol It was right when Branson was getting off the ground. It was still mainly family theaters and go cart tracks up there. My parents got a free trip and we all loaded up and went for a week. They did have to go to a time share meeting, BUT it only lasted like 3 or 4 hours. We then had the rest of the week to do whatever. They even paid for 3 shows and tickets to Silver Dollar City......it was a fun trip.

Since I've been out of the house, my folks have done this 5 or 6 other times, my dad's all about free vacations...haha. To him it's worth sitting in a timeshare meeting for a few hours for a few days free.

DavidWooderson
04-15-2011, 11:29 AM
oh and I'd take the cruise

SintonFan
04-15-2011, 11:42 AM

Thoughts, suggestions, input?????

We're thinking of going to Disney in Orlando for $249. Four days and three nights for the four of us with some Disney tickets thrown in. Only catch is we have to watch a "90 minute presentation" on the property.:D We can buy two of those packages and stay for a week(but have to go through two "presentations"). :cool:

If you get something nice of value, why not?

ccmom
04-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
We're thinking of going to Disney in Orlando for $249. Four days and three nights for the four of us with some Disney tickets thrown in. Only catch is we have to watch a "90 minute presentation" on the property.:D We can buy two of those packages and stay for a week(but have to go through two "presentations"). :cool:

If you get something nice of value, why not?

I want a deal like that!!!

AP Panther Fan
04-15-2011, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't do it. My general outlook on things like this is "if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is"......

With that being said, I have probably missed out on all kinds of possibly free stuff. I have a hard time justifying any company doing a legitimate promotion like this. I mean, think of the cost of just a few people taking them up on this offer.:thinking:

jmho

raider red 2000
04-15-2011, 01:24 PM
They will have a great sales pitch. Do not buy from them. Timeshares can be fun, and there are good things about them.

If you feel like you want a timeshare, send me a PM and I will get you some useful info.

Ranger Mom
04-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
They will have a great sales pitch. Do not buy from them. Timeshares can be fun, and there are good things about them.

If you feel like you want a timeshare, send me a PM and I will get you some useful info.

He said it's not a timeshare...but either way, I am not the least bit interested in a Condo on Lake Brownwood!!

It's not in my personality to cave under pressure anyway...plus, if I feel I just HAVE to go to Lake Brownwood, there is a perfectly good house I can stay in FOR FREE anytime I want!!!!

TheDOCTORdre
04-15-2011, 03:19 PM
I need your input...thats what she said:D

lostaussie
04-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by DavidWooderson
When I was in High School.....Early 90s....dating myself Why are you dating yourself:thinking::D and how do you go about doing that??

garciap77
04-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
Why are you dating yourself:thinking::D and how do you go about doing that??

:eek:

DavidWooderson
04-15-2011, 04:19 PM
You two jackwagons knew what I meant.

waterboy
04-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Are you familiar with Rosie and her five sisters?:D

Ranger Mom
04-15-2011, 04:27 PM
HEY HEY!!! Don't go turning my perfectly innocent "information seeking" thread into a "man vs hand" thread!!!!! :mad:

pirate4state
04-15-2011, 04:28 PM
HEY HEY!!! Don't go turning my perfectly innocent "information seeking" thread into a "man vs hand" thread!!!!! :mad: SD sista

vet93
04-15-2011, 04:31 PM
My sister and her husband bought a lot on feather bay. This is probably the same guy. Everything is legit. They will show you around and the trip is yours. There experience with these people was a good one.

PPHSfan
04-15-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm still laughing about highschool in the early 90s making you "old". :D

TheDOCTORdre
04-15-2011, 05:02 PM
HEY HEY!!! Don't go turning my perfectly innocent "information seeking" thread into a "man vs hand" thread!!!!! :mad:

vs??? is there strife and turmoil?

Buckeye1980
05-13-2011, 12:40 PM
I remember the free boat I won! Just wished they would given an air pump away with it to blow it up!:thinking:

BEAST
05-13-2011, 01:02 PM

KY?

BEAST