PDA

View Full Version : I wanna cry

bowleghorses
04-15-2011, 08:35 AM
My fixen to be a sophmore has decided that he no longer wants to play FOOTBALL. He can't be serious can he. My oldest boy was 157 lbs. as a senior, could hardly see, but had the heart of a lion. The youngest is already 150 plus lbs. solid as a rock and fast but for some reason does not have the want. I have always been excited about the time he would play varsity football. What will i do now. Somebody please talk to this kid. He wont listen to me.:bigcry:

Old LB
04-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by bowleghorses
My fixen to be a sophmore has decided that he no longer wants to play FOOTBALL. He can't be serious can he. My oldest boy was 157 lbs. as a senior, could hardly see, but had the heart of a lion. The youngest is already 150 plus lbs. solid as a rock and fast but for some reason does not have the want. I have always been excited about the time he would play varsity football. What will i do now. Somebody please talk to this kid. He wont listen to me.:bigcry:

Got a 21 year old boy that never played a down of football, he's still a pretty good kid though.

:D

Ranger Mom
04-15-2011, 08:54 AM

I had a kid do that....it broke my heart! I got over it though!!:)

jason
04-15-2011, 08:58 AM
i stopped playing after my freshman year....didn't do track either....

spent 3 years playing basketball and golf....

Yoe_09
04-15-2011, 09:07 AM

What else does he play?

Bullaholic
04-15-2011, 09:24 AM
I hear you, bowleg. My son was the fastest kid in the HS and was playing RB in, a then, 3yds-and-a-cloud-of-dust Bull offense. In his first varsity game against Olney, he was averaging 10yds a carry and on a play somebody stepped on the back of his leg and torn his ACL. He decided that football was not worth it he and ran track the rest of his HS years. At first, I nearly had a stroke, but I got over it. You will too. Best of luck to all of you down there.

GrTigers6
04-15-2011, 10:13 AM
My fixen to be a sophmore has decided that he no longer wants to play FOOTBALL. He can't be serious can he. My oldest boy was 157 lbs. as a senior, could hardly see, but had the heart of a lion. The youngest is already 150 plus lbs. solid as a rock and fast but for some reason does not have the want. I have always been excited about the time he would play varsity football. What will i do now. Somebody please talk to this kid. He wont listen to me.:bigcry: My youngest son wanted to quit every year since he eas a freshman, partly because he didnt want to do the off season workouts, but also because he thought he was too small. He stuck it out gained a little weight and height and got to play varsity some last year and scored his first td on varsity. He is now gearing up for what could be a great senior year. Moral to the story would be if its because of that I would say stick it out but if he just isnt interested than I would have to let him. Although it would be extremely tough. especially since he is my last.

SintonFan
04-15-2011, 10:18 AM

Same thing happened with my son last year. Heart of a lion and one of the fastest kids in a large 5A school. He played FB and LB. Part of his decision to stop playing after his freshman year was that he stopped growing in middle school. He was undersized for that level. As hard as he played it was sometimes tough to watch kids over a foot taller and 150 pounds heavier(Zach is a solid 130 pound athlete) over-match his heart. I was proud that he is such a gamer and a coaches favorite kid.
It was tough for me at first, but in no way was I gonna force him to play. He would have resented it for a loooong time. Ultimately, it was his call, and we got over it pretty quickly.
:)

pirate4state
04-15-2011, 10:25 AM
Give it some time. Sometimes peer pressure can be a GOOD thing, BUT if he still doesn't want to play...then he doesn't want to play. You don't want him out there if #1 his heart isn't in it #2 he isn't having FUN and #3 half assing it.

Just my 2 cents. Life goes on...

GreenMonster
04-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by jason
i stopped playing after my freshman year....didn't do track either....

spent 3 years playing basketball and golf.... and it shows in all of your weak posts! Haha! j/k!! :devil:

bowleghorses
04-15-2011, 10:42 AM
I think a lot of it has to do with the new coach we have and the fact that his brother played the line and they asked him to. Anyway he is a great kid and I just hate him to have regrets for not taking advantage when he could have, but we live and learn. I'm sure the good lord has it all planned out and we will enjoy the ride one way or another.

DavidWooderson
04-15-2011, 11:21 AM
I know it was a sad day around my brother's house when my nephew decided to give up football. He is a good athlete, but football wasn't his sport. He told my brother and sister-in-law that he wanted to put his focus on baseball and it's paid off as he's on a baseball scholarship in college.

What I hate to see is kids that are good at football and have the talent to do it that quit because they don't like the coach or whatever. Pissing away athletic ability is a shame, there's a lot of folks out there that wish they could do what they do, but they don't care. Drives me nuts seeing the college kids and pro athletes getting in trouble with the law all of the time.

BUT if your son is serious about doing this, just make sure he has something to try and excel in that's not football. Basketball, baseball, track, golf, tennis, band, theater, ag, computers....something that he'll stick to a goal to achieve to.

trojandad
04-15-2011, 03:22 PM
my oldest son, as a sophomore, once hit a batting practice baseball 511' on the fly (stuck in the mud on the fly), he has a will clark left handed swing from his hip who could knock the ball forever, always could, always had a dozen homers over the fence every year when nobody else could reach the fence each year.....

he was also into body building and loved playing defensive end and crushing running backs, but all of us, even myself who LOVES football more than baseball, knew his only chance of playing pro ball was with a bat, as his dad's lack of speed gene ruined him from going further in football......

but he just loved football and couldnt stand "wasting time" (his words) on baseball and didn't play another inning after his junior year, even after being offerred a full ride to UL Lafayette after his soph year....

in the end he concentrated his last two years on strength training and football and was surprised at his senior year athletic banquet with his jersey and photo inducted on the Wall of Honor, with only 24 other athletes from coldspring history....talk about an honor.....one proud dad, for sure....

so, in the end, he bypassed a potential lucrative contract in a sport he didnt like, and milked every ounce out of a sport he loved.....he's 25 now and, looking back, i'm really glad he loved what he was doing......

TheDOCTORdre
04-15-2011, 03:23 PM
If this was Sparta you could just discard of him in the pit of misfit boys

LH Panther Mom
04-16-2011, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
and #3 half assing it.

Dude...that should be # 1!!!!!! :p

bowleg - I know it's bound to be a sad day for you, but if his heart's not in it, then it wouldn't be worth it.

bigwood33
04-16-2011, 09:41 AM
My oldest son was a very average athlete, not especially strong, big or fast. When he was in MS he was a "B" team player and I didn't get to play very much. So, when he was coming into his 9th grade season, he came to me and told me that he wanted to not play football and "concentrate" on basketball (he wasn't gifted there either but the work was easier). He had already told my wife what his plan was so I knew what was coming. I told him that no teen aged son of mine was going to have free time on his hands so if he wasn't going to play football, he would have to join the band. You should have seen the look of horror on his face...it was priceless! He said "so, you are making me play football" and I said "no son, I am making you have a fall activity and it is your choice, either band or football". He dropped his head and his shoulders slumped and he said "I guess I'll play football". He made varsity as a JR, playing special teams and a little as a backup at outside linebacker. His SR year, he was a starter on defense and shuttled plays on offense. He had a great time and we laugh about that day occasionally. He grew to love it!

Farmersfan
04-18-2011, 10:04 AM
My oldest son was always a head taller and heavier than all his friends and peers. We moved to the Colony after I quit my job as a resturaunt manager so I could spend time with my boys and I told my oldest he would play Pee Wee football whether he liked it or not. He had zero interest. I forced him to participate. I was at his first game one beautiful Saturday afternoon and they put him in on the defensive line. I was proud as a peacock! Strutting around the stands like a proud parent because my son was one of the biggest boys on the field. Then they snapped the ball and my defensive lineman son started blocking the the o-lineman lined up accross from him. He blow the olineman off the line of scrimmmage, past the QB, past the RB and about 10 yards into the offensive backfield. The RB took the handoff and headed down the feild for about a 20 yard gain but that didn't stop my son from continuing to assult the olineman with perfect blocks that pushed that mean ole offensive tackle all over the field!!!!!! :eek: :eek:
As soon as I pulled my head out of the sand I watched this continue for the remainder of the game and then afterwards told my son he really didn't have to play football if he didn't want to. He quit the next day. :( :(

piratebg
04-18-2011, 10:14 AM

I pulled the same stunt on my dad. I don't know what was going through my head back then. I was 15, a sophomore, and I had just found out that I had made varsity and was gonna start on the line, but for whatever reason I had already made my decision. It is easily one of the biggest regrets of my life.