PDA

View Full Version : What if?

Old LB
04-14-2011, 04:42 PM
With all the budget talk on here lately I got to thinking, what if sports were no longer a part of the schools? Say maybe ran similar to youth leagues, as non-profit or by the cities?

Now granted everyone loves sports and they have always been associated with the schools but would it be the end of the world if they were done in a different manner?

waterboy
04-14-2011, 04:46 PM
:hand: Blasphemy, I tell ya! That's blasphemy!:D

Old LB
04-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
:hand: Blasphemy, I tell ya! That's blasphemy!:D

Come on now, you won't even think on it?

waterboy
04-14-2011, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Old LB
Come on now, you won't even think on it?
I like the idea of maybe a summer league, but in Texas, absolutely nothing beats high school football. Maybe if you detailed a plan I could think about it, but until then that's blasphemy.:D

AP Panther Fan
04-14-2011, 05:06 PM
For some reason Little League springs to mind.

OMG, have you ever seen a "bad" little league board and/or a few "bad" little league coaches? Overall it is a great program for kids, but there sure is alot of drama/politics associated with it as well.

I would hate to think that would be our only resource for offering sports to our children. So to answer your question, yes, it would be the end of the world. :)

Old LB
04-14-2011, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
I like the idea of maybe a summer league, but in Texas, absolutely nothing beats high school football. Maybe if you detailed a plan I could think about it, but until then that's blasphemy.:D

You already have leagues for nearly all sports that exist. You would just have to start the football leagues in a similar fashion. You would pay to play the same as select teams do now. Need an organization to set rules and put on playoffs. Really would not be that hard with all the organizations that already exist.

TYFL could expand to encompass the older teams, same with little league, North and South Texas soccer associations... ect.

Old LB
04-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
For some reason Little League springs to mind.

OMG, have you ever seen a "bad" little league board and/or a few "bad" little league coaches? Overall it is a great program for kids, but there sure is alot of drama/politics associated with it as well.

I would hate to think that would be our only resource for offering sports to our children. So to answer your question, yes, it would be the end of the world. :)

So you think all these fine parents couldn't handle it? :D

eagles_victory
04-14-2011, 05:11 PM
What if my aunt had.... you know how the rest goes

Old LB
04-14-2011, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory

Not much on change are we?

AP Panther Fan
04-14-2011, 05:15 PM
So you think all these fine parents couldn't handle it? :D

That would be correct.:)

DavidWooderson
04-14-2011, 07:16 PM
I could see more schools charging a fee to play and more games being close together.

OF COURSE with the UIL who doesn't seem to own a map come realignment time, may have to pull their head out of their butts and quit putting San Angelo in the same district with Amarillo schools or Sherman in districts with Texarkana schools or Denton with Wichita Falls schools.

You may also see them force a change to a 6A to even out the enrollment numbers so they can put more schools that are closer together in same districts I.E. Denton Guyer 5A and Lake Dallas 4A together (when they are literally less than 3 miles apart).

Ernest T Bass
04-14-2011, 08:09 PM
6a is coming, but it won't be what you think.

Old LB
04-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
6a is coming, but it won't be what you think.

Enlighten us.

Ernest T Bass
04-14-2011, 08:21 PM
It'll only effect 1a and sixman schools. Everyone else will just move up a class, en masse. Might happen next February

GrTigers6
04-15-2011, 07:49 AM
You already have leagues for nearly all sports that exist. You would just have to start the football leagues in a similar fashion. You would pay to play the same as select teams do now. Need an organization to set rules and put on playoffs. Really would not be that hard with all the organizations that already exist.

TYFL could expand to encompass the older teams, same with little league, North and South Texas soccer associations... ect. Except you will have inexperienced parents coaching the kids instead of educated coaches who can help keep them safe

Old LB
04-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Except you will have inexperienced parents coaching the kids instead of educated coaches who can help keep them safe

You would have to pay your coaches, just like the select teams do. If the schools do not have athletics there will be coaches needing jobs with these teams.

lars
04-15-2011, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory

She'd be your uncle.

Dr Death
04-15-2011, 10:33 AM
One of the things that separates Texas from many other states, is that athletics is and should be part of the educational process. Coaches are also in the classroom reinforcing that learning should take place and in coordination with athletics or many other extracurricular activities.
I think that some form of athletic participation should be required of all students. Should we neglect students who are not athletically gifted and tell them not to participate in anything? No
Athletics is not for the student who thikns he will go to another level. Athletics is for growth and preparation for manhood (or lady hood).

Old LB
04-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Dr Death
One of the things that separates Texas from many other states, is that athletics is and should be part of the educational process. Coaches are also in the classroom reinforcing that learning should take place and in coordination with athletics or many other extracurricular activities.
I think that some form of athletic participation should be required of all students. Should we neglect students who are not athletically gifted and tell them not to participate in anything? No
Athletics is not for the student who thikns he will go to another level. Athletics is for growth and preparation for manhood (or lady hood).

That is the way it has always been, people generally do not accept change well. I played sports the whole time I was in school and enjoyed it but I have never been asked in a job interview about my football days. I would agree it is good for the kids but it is certainly not crucial to their education. I have a child who choose not to play sports in school but he still has an education.

DavidWooderson
04-15-2011, 11:14 AM
What I think is funny is that everyone gripes and complains about how fat we are as a nation, and that the child obesity ratings are through the roof.....BUT the first thing always on the chopping board is P.E. and Athletics.

Old LB
04-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by DavidWooderson
What I think is funny is that everyone gripes and complains about how fat we are as a nation, and that the child obesity ratings are through the roof.....BUT the first thing always on the chopping board is P.E. and Athletics.

It is not the school's responsibility to ensure your child is healthy, it is the parent's. I did not suggest that athletics be done away with, just that it no longer be a part of the schools. If you as a parent wanted your child to play sports you could pay your money and if you child made a team they could play.

DavidWooderson
04-15-2011, 11:31 AM
It is not the school's responsibility to ensure your child is healthy, it is the parent's. I did not suggest that athletics be done away with, just that it no longer be a part of the schools. If you as a parent wanted your child to play sports you could pay your money and if you child made a team they could play.

I agree, but I think that it can also lay ground work for IF the parents aren't doing that, the kids could encourage the family to go for walks or play games they learned in P.E., etc to get the whole family active.

garciap77
04-15-2011, 12:14 PM

What would it cost the student? How much money would a coach have to make to even consider coaching? How much money would it cost to maintain the football stadium? Would the schools allow the football stadium to be used? How about liabilities for the schools?

Old LB
04-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
What would it cost the student? How much money would a coach have to make to even consider coaching? How much money would it cost to maintain the football stadium? Would the schools allow the football stadium to be used? How about liabilities for the schools?

Would depend where you live and how much community support you had. The schools would no longer have any association with it, no different than say little league. You would be governed by a state association. I would think few coaches would be able to make a living just coaching with this set-up. Most would have to stay with the schools as full-time teachers or find new carreers.

I doubt that anything of this nature would ever happen. I just find it comical that we feel for the most part that we HAVE to have school athletic programs at all.

Dr Death
04-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Old LB a couple of things,
Nobady HAS to do anything. Heck we could all home school and live in huts.
But we want to continue to be the America that we want to be.... we ought to remember a few things.
Education will help prepare you for jobs but is not required for all jobs. Education is to educate not job training.
Go all the way back to the Greeks and examine their belief that physicality was essential to growth and learning. Body-Mind-Spirit
Other things you probably didn't learn in math class that are learned in athletics and are probably not taught by Dad at home.

How to be a warrior.
How to draw on courage.
Never quit
Pressure causes us to perform at a higher rate.
Put in whatever hours you have to in order to succeed.
Preparation is key to success.
Respect for teamates no matter their background.
Sacrifice for a greater cause.
Now without athletics, some of these lessons could be learned but without athletics, many of the students wouldn't be there to learn them.

'84 Stang
04-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Well it has been a while since I have posted anything on this board but i do check it out daily. My family has been involved in education and coaching for many years.....( my Grandfather coached basketball in a school that had 250 kids K-12 during the 1930's and 40's and they regularly kicked the butts of San Angelo Central, Big Spring. et al). We would be crazy to take Athletics away from the public schools. Heck, look at even the private schools. They even realize how important having that element improves campus spirit and general class participation.

One of the other posts asked about other cuts ( changes ) the state could make. Did you know that we spend $500 million per year with the company that offers and does the TAKS testing? And how much more money do you think we spend getting these kids ready to take the TAKS? How about all of these other mandates that come out of Austin telling us how to educate these kids - meanwhile their kids are in some private school in Austin. REALLY???? How about we really fix Robin Hood instead of having a range from $3900 to $12000 per child/ per year within our own state! REALLY????? How crazy is that? Austin has become just like Washington ( a Blue dot in a Sea of Red )....If we control everything...We can make it better. How many things are better than 10 or 20 years ago? How many things do you think will really be better in the next 10 or 20 years unless these guys pull their heads out ( or we really clean house come the next election cycle ). Lets give local control back to the schools and let them figure out how to spend the local money....Sure some schools might have to make changes and corporate sponsorship would become a big thing. But hey If Burger King wants a store on everycorner in Dallas ISD ..... Surely they would up some money to the schools there to keep the status quo going there!!!! Heck - they might even give sponsorship money to the Athletic Programs too!!!!

PPHSfan
04-16-2011, 11:38 AM
If you take sports away, you take "no pass-no play" away. Then you lose a bunch of accidental graduates.