PDA

View Full Version : It's not PC to say "Easter Eggs?"

Ranger Mom
04-14-2011, 08:54 AM
They are now called "Spring Spheres???"

What a crock!!!:doh:

Merry Christmas and Easter Eggs will ALWAY AND FOREVER be the words I use.

Political Correctness be damned!!!!

:mad:

Old Tiger
04-14-2011, 08:56 AM
wth is wrong with easter? lol

I do love me some freedom fries though!

waterboy
04-14-2011, 08:57 AM
No kidding! That's ridiculous! We should just stop doing business with people that won't use Christmas and Easter in their holiday ads. Political correctness has moved all the way to the left now.

PPHSfan
04-14-2011, 08:59 AM
I'm standing in the corner giggling at the irony.

Can't say "Easter Eggs" and the conservative Christians will go crazy. But what does "Easter" have to do with eggs in the first place?

Black_Magic
04-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan

Can't say "Easter Eggs" and the conservative Christians will go crazy. But what does "Easter" have to do with eggs in the first place? really. who cares. call it what you want. :rolleyes:

PPHSfan
04-14-2011, 09:04 AM
It's kind of like getting mad that you can no longer call the drunken orgy at the office in December a "Christmas Party".

Ernest T Bass
04-14-2011, 09:06 AM
It's kind of like getting mad that you can no longer call the drunken orgy at the office in December a "Christmas Party".

Ohhhh, the fun Ive had with this one. :D

Gsquared
04-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Easter Embryos

PPHSfan
04-14-2011, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Easter Embryos

Watch it G. You're gonna stir the pot with stem cell research if you're not careful.

jason
04-14-2011, 09:11 AM
how about calling them chicken turds

Ernest T Bass
04-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by jason
how about calling them chicken turds

Different hole.

Bullaholic
04-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Merry Christmas and Easter Eggs will ALWAY AND FOREVER be the words I use.

No, no, RM---it's "Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year".....:D

jason
04-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Different hole. not in birds

Ranger Mom
04-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
No, no, RM---it's "Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year".....:D

LOL!! You're funny!! :tongue:

Easter having nothing to do with eggs is beside the point, IMO!

I just think it's STUPID!!!

Schools are going along with it, and Easter egg hunts are now called "Egg hunts.":rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Why so threatened??:thinking:

DDBooger
04-14-2011, 09:29 AM
I think people go out of their way to be insulted sometimes.

A tradition steeped in paganism defended by Christians is rich. lol

Ranger Mom
04-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
I think people go out of their way to be insulted sometimes.

A tradition steeped in paganism defended by Christians is rich. lol

Being insulted and thinking something is just downright stupid are 2 completely different things, IMO!!

The only reason I even brought it up for discussion here is I just read it on facebook and this place is BORING lately, so I thought it would make for some fun discussion!!!

PPHSfan
My point is pretty simple.

The folks that get upset about losing the terms Easter Eggs and Christmas Parties are the same folks that should have been lobbying for the names to be changed in the first place.

NastySlot

Can't say "Easter Eggs" and the conservative Christians will go crazy. But what does "Easter" have to do with eggs in the first place?

someone once told me they were like a symbol of rebirth......and spring or something......rebirth and resurrection I guess.

PPHSfan
04-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Being insulted and thinking something is just downright stupid are 2 completely different things, IMO!!

The only reason I even brought it up for discussion here is I just read it on facebook and this place is BORING lately, so I thought it would make for some fun discussion!!!

And you would be correct. This is a great thread.

DDBooger
Originally posted by NastySlot
someone once told me they were like a symbol of rebirth......and spring or something......rebirth and resurrection I guess. Yes, Christianity adopted several pagan traditions, this being one as eggs represented to paganism birth (spring) in Roman, Gaul, China, Egypt and Persia.

Ernest T Bass
Im on a crusade to get the style of sitting now known as "criss-cross applesauce" back to "Indian-style"!!

Yes, eggs=rebirth. Kinda like what happens in the spring, plants go from dead to alive again. Part of the pagan celebration of the vernal equinox.

Bullaholic
04-14-2011, 09:35 AM

The folks that get upset about losing the terms Easter Eggs and Christmas Parties are the same folks that should have been lobbying for the names to be changed in the first place.

RM's point is that Christians do not "lose" the terms, PPHSFan.

Ranger Mom

Who's upset?? Me?? Because I brought it up here?? Get over yourself!!!

I'm not losing anything because I refuse to change anything out of "fear" of insulting someone else....I really don't give a crap if I do!!

DDBooger
Im on a crusade to get the style of sitting now known as "criss-cross applesauce" back to "Indian-style"!!

lol

sinton66
04-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Life's too damned short to worry about such trivial concerns as political correctness.

DDBooger
04-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Life's too damned short to worry about such trivial concerns as political correctness. or what other people call their easter eggs, spheres, embryos.

Farmersfan
04-14-2011, 09:37 AM

Why so threatened??:thinking:

Probably too far, i agree! but I have to ask:

Why so resistant?

Ranger Mom
04-14-2011, 09:38 AM

Yes, eggs=rebirth. Kinda like what happens in the spring, plants go from dead to alive again. Part of the pagan celebration of the vernal equinox.

So that is politically incorrect too???

I was sitting Indian Style this weekend putting together a race track for my grandkids....when I got ready to get up, my legs had fallen asleep....thought I would never get up. One more thing of "things not to do" to mark of my list!!!!

Life's too damned short to worry about such trivial concerns as political correctness.

Amen Tony!!!

Ranger Mom
04-14-2011, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan

Why so resistant?

To what???

PPHSfan
04-14-2011, 09:40 AM

Don't forget

Indian Giver
Chink Eyed
Jap Slapped
And
Jewed Down

Just to name a few.
:D

waterboy
04-14-2011, 09:41 AM
I mean, seriously, what's the harm in using the words "Easter" and "Christmas"? Why is it offensive to use these words in the first place? It's not Christians who complained first.... Call it what you will, but taking the Christian component out of those celebrations just because of a minority complaining for "political correctness" is stupid. Offend the majority to please the minority is what "political correctness" is, and is getting out of hand, in my opinion. It's not a matter of your beliefs, it's a matter of what the holiday celebrates. If non-Christians don't want to celebrate Christian holidays, then by all means don't, but don't change what the holiday stands for.

DDBooger
04-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
If non-Christians don't want to celebrate Christian holidays, then by all means don't, but don't change what the holiday stands for. Why not, Christians changed it's original meaning to fit theirs? The irony! haha

waterboy
:clap: Amen! It makes me no never mind, but "WHY?" is the question I have.

Super_R

Why so resistant?

You should have to watch the Passion of the Christ to graduate high school...and instead of wearing a tassle on the grad cap it should be Rosary beads.

DDBooger
04-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Super_R
You should have to watch the Passion of the Christ to graduate high school...and instead of wearing a tassle on the grad cap it should be Rosary beads. lmao

Farmersfan
04-14-2011, 09:43 AM

Makes me wonder who was the one's doing the bitching that got the Tampa Bay team to remove "Devil" from their team name? :D

NastySlot
04-14-2011, 09:44 AM

told a group to sit indian style once...no clue...they called it pretzel style.

DDBooger
04-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Makes me wonder who was the one's doing the bitching that got the Tampa Bay team to remove "Devil" from their team name? :D lol :clap:

PPHSfan
04-14-2011, 09:45 AM
I mean, seriously, what's the harm in using the words "Easter" and "Christmas"? Why is it offensive to use these words in the first place? It's not Christians who complained first.... Call it what you will, but taking the Christian component out of those celebrations just because of a minority complaining for "political correctness" is stupid. Offend the majority to please the minority is what "political correctness" is, and is getting out of hand, in my opinion. It's not a matter of your beliefs, it's a matter of what the holiday celebrates. If non-Christians don't want to celebrate Christian holidays, then by all means don't, but don't change what the holiday stands for.

So it's ok with you if I buy red and green condoms in December and call them my Christmas Rubbers?:D

NastySlot
04-14-2011, 09:47 AM
So it's ok with you if I buy red and green condoms in December and call them my Christmas Rubbers?:D

doesn't everyone called them that?

Super_R
04-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Makes me wonder who was the one's doing the bitching that got the Tampa Bay team to remove "Devil" from their team name? :D

Prolly Marvin Zindler. He put a stop to the chicken ranch.

DDBooger
04-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
doesn't everyone called them that? Some call it a Christmas present. I mean, it's wrapped, just missing a bow. lol

waterboy
04-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Why not, Christians changed it's original meaning to fit theirs? The irony! haha
No, the irony is that non-Christians are the first ones to complain, yet if a Christian complains they are supposed to be tolerant. Seriously, it makes me no never mind, but WHY does it matter to y'all? BTW, I ain't one that cares to be "politically correct"...:D I'll call it like I see it regardless.;)

DDBooger
04-14-2011, 09:55 AM
No, the irony is that non-Christians are the first ones to complain, yet if a Christian complains they are supposed to be tolerant. Seriously, it makes me no never mind, but WHY does it matter to y'all? BTW, I ain't one that cares to be "politically correct"...:D I'll call it like I see it regardless.;) What makes you think it matters to me? I think they're all silly. If they want to call it something different, let them. If you want to call it Easter Eggs, call it that. To each their own. I'm not politically correct either, I think it's hilarious watching you all defend something steeped in paganism.

Pretty soon we'll have something ginned up as "the war on Easter" inflaming a bunch of holy rollers.

Ranger Mom
04-14-2011, 10:00 AM

Been there, done that.....good luck finding red ones!!!!!!!:p :p

I saw a post on my daughters facebook the other day....I guess she had accidentally posted it as her status, she said, "If praying makes people feel better about a situation, even if you don't believe in it, who are you to try and shoot them down?"

I had no clue what she was talking about, so I asked her the next time I talked to her. She said she was on some radar website, listening to the updates about the fires in West Texas. I guess you could also make comments on that site, and people were posting, "please pray for rain," " please pray for the firefighters," etc.

Some guy gets on there and starts slamming them, saying their "so called God" doesn't answer prayers, the real heroes are the firefighers, not their God, blah, blah, blah.

I guess that is what I don't get....if you don't believe, that's fine! No one was telling this guy he HAD to pray, so why did he feel the need to get on there and slam everyone who did???

Bullaholic
04-14-2011, 10:01 AM
I think it's hilarious watching you all defend something steeped in paganism.

The egg and bunny parts, Boog---not the Easter part.

Farmersfan
04-14-2011, 10:08 AM
No, the irony is that non-Christians are the first ones to complain, yet if a Christian complains they are supposed to be tolerant. Seriously, it makes me no never mind, but WHY does it matter to y'all? BTW, I ain't one that cares to be "politically correct"...:D I'll call it like I see it regardless.;)

I have yet to see a complaint from anyone other than people complaining about the name change. And I enjoy the irony of reading the comments about how the name doesn't matter but bitching about the name being changed.
If the term EASTER means nothing then the changing of that name should not matter to anyone, Right? By resisting the change, you are validating the justification for that change in the first place. I think the whole thing is completely stupid but I do recognize that the term "Easter" encompasses a ton of meaning that a lot of people find unacceptable. (Even though Christianity stole that also from another folk tale way older.)

waterboy
04-14-2011, 10:09 AM
What makes you think it matters to me? I think they're all silly. If they want to call it something different, let them. If you want to call it Easter Eggs, call it that. To each their own. I'm not politically correct either, I think it's hilarious watching you all defend something steeped in paganism.

Pretty soon we'll have something ginned up as "the war on Easter" inflaming a bunch of holy rollers.
Yes, it IS silly! That's exactly the point I'm making! Changing what it's called is silly, regardless of which side you're on. All I'm asking is why does it offend a vocal, politically active few so much that they want it changed? Some of the rituals are paganistic, but what I celebrate is what those holidays stand for. I don't have to be "holy roller" to know what those holidays represent to me, but to each his own....;)

Farmersfan
04-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Yes, it IS silly! That's exactly the point I'm making! Changing what it's called is silly, regardless of which side you're on. All I'm asking is why does it offend a vocal, politically active few so much that they want it changed? Some of the rituals are paganistic, but what I celebrate is what those holidays stand for. I don't have to be "holy roller" to know what those holidays represent to me, but to each his own....;)

Perhaps successfully changing this name is more symbolic to their cause than an actual individual accomplishment.

DDBooger
04-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Yes, it IS silly! That's exactly the point I'm making! Changing what it's called is silly, regardless of which side you're on. All I'm asking is why does it offend a vocal, politically active few so much that they want it changed? Some of the rituals are paganistic, but what I celebrate is what those holidays stand for. I don't have to be "holy roller" to know what those holidays represent to me, but to each his own....;) Silly begets silly, why are you complaining about what they call it? I say Happy Holidays, and I can't tell you how many people get offended by that. lol Stupid.

sinton66
04-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Silly begets silly, why are you complaining about what they call it? I say Happy Holidays, and I can't tell you how many people get offended by that. lol Stupid.

Think you're missing his point. He's not complaining about what "they" call it. He's saying "They're" complaining about what he calls it.

Farmersfan
04-14-2011, 10:18 AM
The egg and bunny parts, Boog---not the Easter part.

I wonder how many 1000s of Crucifixion stories and tales of Gods rising from the dead have been found that predate Jesus by centuries????? :D :D

Even Easter was stolen from Paganism.

Txbroadcaster
04-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Think you're missing his point. He's not complaining about what "they" call it. He's saying "They're" complaining about what he calls it.

i have to ask..why does he care what someone else would call it?

DDBooger
04-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Think you're missing his point. He's not complaining about what "they" call it. He's saying "They're" complaining about what he calls it. Okay, so we're rebranding complaining so it doesn't sound like complaining. lol ;)

sinton66
04-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
i have to ask..why does he care what someone else would call it?

Again, he's not complaining, "they" are.

DDBooger
04-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
i have to ask..why does he care what someone else would call it? Apparently, that's not complaining. :D

Maroon87
04-14-2011, 10:21 AM
I say "Easter" and "Christmas" and "under God" and if there are people that don't like it, they don't have to be around me.

I'm not forcing my views on anyone else and I expect the same in return. But that's just me.:nerd:

Bullaholic
04-14-2011, 10:22 AM
I wonder how many 1000s of Crucifixion stories and tales of Gods rising from the dead have been found that predate Jesus by centuries????? :D :D

Even Easter was stolen from Paganism.

I agree---the concept is not unique---but the Christian Easter Story is, and it does not insult my intelligence one bit to believe in it's power, promise, and beauty every day of my life.

Ranger Mom
04-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Silly begets silly, why are you complaining about what they call it? I say Happy Holidays, and I can't tell you how many people get offended by that. lol Stupid.

It wouldn't offend me at all, I would answer back, "Merry Christmas to you too!!" :)

DDBooger
04-14-2011, 10:23 AM
It wouldn't offend me at all, I would answer back, "Merry Christmas to you too!!" :) LOL And I'd smile :)

Ranger Mom
04-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I say "Easter" and "Christmas" and "under God" and if there are people that don't like it, they don't have to be around me.

I'm not forcing my views on anyone else and I expect the same in return. But that's just me.:nerd:

That's exactly how I feel!! :thumbsup:

Ranger Mom
LOL And I'd smile :)

See!! We'd get along just fine!!:D

DDBooger

I'm not forcing my views on anyone else and I expect the same in return. But that's just me.:nerd: I say of none of that and if there are people that don't like it, they don't have to be around me. :)

PPHSfan
04-14-2011, 10:25 AM
I hate PC as much as anyone. I certainly don't practice it. But I did make a comment about irony, and therefore this thread is ON FIRE BABY!!!!

DDBooger
04-14-2011, 10:26 AM
See!! We'd get along just fine!!:D Absolutely, most of my friends are Christian. And many of them try to tell me how unholy my life is (despite the several divorces, arrests, dalliances outside their relationships) because I don't accept a spiritual authoritarian regime of sky people. :D

It wears on me, but I brush it off now.

Ranger Mom
04-14-2011, 10:26 AM
I say of none of that and if there are people that don't like it, they don't have to be around me. :)

Out of morbid curiosity......did you say the Pledge of Allegiance when you were in school??

If so, did you say the "under God" part back then, stay silent, or fill it in with something else???

Ranger Mom
04-14-2011, 10:27 AM
I hate PC as much as anyone. I certainly don't practice it. But I did make a comment about irony, and therefore this thread is ON FIRE BABY!!!!

Oh don't you DARE try to take all the credit!!!:tongue:

DDBooger
04-14-2011, 10:27 AM
I hate PC as much as anyone. I certainly don't practice it. But I did make a comment about irony, and therefore this thread is ON FIRE BABY!!!! You're my favorite poster! You have panache. lol

DDBooger
04-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Out of morbid curiosity......did you say the Pledge of Allegiance when you were in school??

If so, did you say the "under God" part back then, stay silent, or fill it in with something else??? I wasn't a Jehovah's witness. lol OF course I did, I was a child, I had no concept of the things I do now.

PPHSfan
04-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Oh don't you DARE try to take all the credit!!!:tongue:

You teed the ball up. I knocked it three hundred yards down the fairway. :D

Ranger Mom
04-14-2011, 10:30 AM
I wasn't a Jehovah's witness. lol OF course I did, I was a child, I had no concept of the things I do now.

Thanks!! I was just wondering, I had never thought about it before!!

Ranger Mom
04-14-2011, 10:31 AM
You teed the ball up. I knocked it three hundred yards down the fairway. :D

Without me, there would be NO thread!! Save some glory for me!!!:p

waterboy
I agree---the concept is not unique---but the Christian Easter Story is, and it does not insult my intelligence one bit to believe in it's power, promise, and beauty every day of my life.
:clap: :clap: Amen, brother!:clap: :clap:

pirate4state
I have the overwhelming urge to break rule #1

DDBooger
04-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I have the overwhelming urge to break rule #1 Do it! :devil:

Ranger Mom
04-14-2011, 10:33 AM

I admit, I had to go to the rules and see what #1 was!!!:doh:

pirate4state
04-14-2011, 10:33 AM
I admit, I had to go to the rules and see what #1 was!!!:doh:

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

waterboy
04-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Again, he's not complaining, "they" are.
That's it exactly. I don't care what others call it, but why do they care what I call it? I didn't ask for it to be changed, THEY did. So really, WHO'S complaining? It seems a never ending circle of blame as to who is complaining. Whoever wanted it changed complained first, or else we wouldn't be having this "argument" in the first place. Why does it matter to them what it's called? I'll continue to call it what I want either way......;)

Bullaholic
04-14-2011, 10:40 AM

C'mon--go ahead and cuss somebody out and knock the ball clear up to the next hole, just to PO (broke rule #1 with this abbr.?:D) PPHSFan...

Maroon87
04-14-2011, 10:44 AM
I say of none of that and if there are people that don't like it, they don't have to be around me. :)

I never notice when people don't say it, but if they tell me I shouldn't then we have a problem.;)

PPHSfan
04-14-2011, 10:44 AM
Let me be clear on something. I am and have been for a long time, a Christian. But the irony over protecting words like Christmas Party and Easter Eggs is just too rich not to giggle. Im also against abortion but for the death penalty. Against big government but for a huge military. Against breaking the law but for the right to smoke weed. I could go on and on.

Ranger Mom
04-14-2011, 10:48 AM
I never notice when people don't say it, but if they tell me I shouldn't then we have a problem.;)

Exactly!!!

I was in the Post Office right before Christmas and heard a couple tell the Post office worker "Merry Christmas."

I think she is Jehovah's Witness, but she promptly answered, "I don't celebrate Christmas, but I sure do appreciate the day off. Y'all enjoy your holiday too!!"

I think the couple were taken aback a little, but I thought the way the Postal worker handled it was great!!

Bullaholic
04-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Let me be clear on something. I am and have been for a long time, a Christian. But the irony over protecting words like Christmas Party and Easter Eggs is just too rich not to giggle. Im also against abortion but for the death penalty. Against big government but for a huge military. Against breaking the law but for the right to smoke weed. I could go on and on.

You are a walking "dichotomy".....:D BUT--one that cracks me up more than anyone else...

DDBooger
04-14-2011, 10:50 AM
I never notice when people don't say it, but if they tell me I shouldn't then we have a problem.;) I don't have a problem even when people treat me as a pariah because I don't share their faith. Its called maturity. As if being condescending to me will make me see the light. lol

Ranger Mom
04-14-2011, 10:50 AM
You are a walking "dichotomy".....:D BUT--one that cracks me up more than anyone else...

Google here I come!!!

SintonFan
04-14-2011, 11:03 AM
If non-Christians don't want to celebrate Christian holidays, then by all means don't, but don't change what the holiday stands for.

Why not, Christians changed it's original meaning to fit theirs? The irony! haha

It has been centuries since this was changed. It was changed to make it easier for the pagans to accept Christianity. Kinda smart if you think about it.

Why the rush today to change what has become tradition? Is it because we suddenly are "smarter" or "more knowledgeable"?
I think not. It just might be because we are much more arrogant.

Farmersfan
04-14-2011, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
It
Why the rush today to change what has become tradition? Is it because we suddenly are "smarter" or "more knowledgeable"?
I think not. It just might be because we are much more arrogant.

Do you not think we have become smarter?

In every single aspect of human existence we have progressed and advanced over the centuries. We are so far ahead of our ancesters in every possible way that it isn't even a debate. 1000 years ago man feared what their ancesters weren't even aware of. 500 years ago man hypothesized about what their ancesters feared. Today we PROVE what our ancesters hypothesized about. I can think of no area where mankind has not advanced by leaps and bounds throughout the past 1000s of years.
So I guess I'm asking is it your statement that where Christianity is concerned mankind has NOT gotten smarter? Is this the only part of our past that we have not gain more insight into over the centuries?

SintonFan
04-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Do you not think we have become smarter?

In every single aspect of human existence we have progressed and advanced over the centuries. We are so far ahead of our ancesters in every possible way that it isn't even a debate. 1000 years ago man feared what their ancesters weren't even aware of. 500 years ago man hypothesized about what their ancesters feared. Today we PROVE what our ancesters hypothesized about. I can think of no area where mankind has not advanced by leaps and bounds throughout the past 1000s of years.
So I guess I'm asking is it your statement that where Christianity is concerned mankind has NOT gotten smarter? Is this the only part of our past that we have not gain more insight into over the centuries?

No, I think we have become more arrogant in many's atheism... specifically against Christianity. Christianity is easy to attack isn't it? Many who follow the faith just "turn the other cheek". Too bad the vast majority of atheist are too chicken chit to take on radical Islam the same way they now attack Western religion.

Look back to the pyramids. We don't know how they built them. Some say aliens. lol Really... aliens.:D

Ok, we are more knowledgeable. But I severely doubt we are smarter. In fact, I'd gather that we don't use our mind as much(on average) as we used to before TV. You have to exercise to maintain muscle mass. The mind works in a similar way doesn't it?

garciap77
04-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Easter Embryos

Easter Huevos!

Farmersfan
04-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
No, I think we have become more arrogant in many's atheism... specifically against Christianity. Christianity is easy to attack isn't it? Many who follow the faith just "turn the other cheek". Too bad the vast majority of atheist are to chicken chit to take on radical Islam the same way they now attack Western religion.

Look back to the pyramids. We don't know how they built them. Some say aliens. lol Really... aliens.:D

Ok, we are more knowledgeable. But I severely doubt we are smarter. In fact, I'd gather that we don't use our mind as much(on average) as we used to before TV. You have to exercise to maintain muscle mass. The mind works in a similar way doesn't it?

We are certainly more arrogant in many ways. Atheism as well as Christianity. And I have ZERO doubt that mankind is smarter now than they were at any point in history. Perhaps you can pick and choose a few instances of knowledge that could have been lost but there are 1000s of other areas far more advanced to offset those. Perhaps what you are referring to could be wisdom. Although we are certainly more intelligent we often don't act with more wisdom at times.

And thanks for the laugh.

Aliens vs God? Based on everything we know, which is most likely to exist?

PPHSfan
04-14-2011, 12:47 PM
We are certainly more arrogant in many ways. Atheism as well as Christianity. And I have ZERO doubt that mankind is smarter now than they were at any point in history. Perhaps you can pick and choose a few instances of knowledge that could have been lost but there are 1000s of other areas far more advanced to offset those. Perhaps what you are referring to could be wisdom. Although we are certainly more intelligent we often don't act with more wisdom at times.

What if?

What if we as a civilization were once more advanced than we are now, and that is where some of the things we can't explain came from.

For instance, maybe there was a flood that destroyed 99.999% of mankind thousands of years ago.

Think about it. If we were to endure another global disaster that virtually destroyed mankind, even if the few thousand that were left behind were our brightest examples, we would still be thrown back centuries as far as technology goes.

You wouldn't see computers again for thousands of years, because those of us that were left, would be busy trying to build a hammer and a bow.

We would try and pass our knowledge down to our descendents, but our stories would soon just become legend.

Who's to say that this hasn't happened a hundred times over billions of years?

just sayin.

SintonFan
04-14-2011, 12:47 PM

Glad to oblige.:D

Wisdom, no doubt, has been put down. A great shame brought about by 60's elitism imho.
Many act without wisdom more often than naught.

There is no "God vs Aliens" in my opinion. That is a very recent argument based upon a couple of popular books.

waterboy
04-14-2011, 01:34 PM
What if?

What if we as a civilization were once more advanced than we are now, and that is where some of the things we can't explain came from.

For instance, maybe there was a flood that destroyed 99.999% of mankind thousands of years ago.

Think about it. If we were to endure another global disaster that virtually destroyed mankind, even if the few thousand that were left behind were our brightest examples, we would still be thrown back centuries as far as technology goes.

You wouldn't see computers again for thousands of years, because those of us that were left, would be busy trying to build a hammer and a bow.

We would try and pass our knowledge down to our descendents, but our stories would soon just become legend.

Who's to say that this hasn't happened a hundred times over billions of years?

just sayin.
That's definitely food for thought. That actually sounds more plausible than the evolutionary theory. People back in those days were probably just as "smart" as they are now, yet they were actually more spiritual, in my opinion. The evidence points toward your theory, too, because of some of the archaeological evidence and some of the engineering feats that were performed thousands of years ago. What if the same kind of thing happened today? Only a few people remained, and all the scientists of today were the ones that perished, wouldn't we basically have to start all over again? I seriously doubt this earth has been here as long as scientists think. I've always said that the earth was an entirely different earth, ecologically speaking, a few thousand years ago.

AP Panther Fan
04-14-2011, 01:53 PM
They are now called "Spring Spheres???"

What a crock!!!:doh:

lol....not going to join the 3 page debate, but your post reminded me of the latest "rice crispy/M&M" egg commercials. Is is just me or does anyone else think that making a hollowed out rice crispy treat egg and filling it with m&m's is just a tad bit crazy! Whew, what fun we could have with the kids on that one!

I think the Kellogg corporation must be feeling like they are missing the boat when it comes to holidays they should try to capitalize on.

Old LB
04-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
lol....not going to join the 3 page debate, but your post reminded me of the latest "rice crispy/M&M" egg commercials. Is is just me or does anyone else think that making a hollowed out rice crispy treat egg and filling it with m&m's is just a tad bit crazy! Whew, what fun we could have with the kids on that one!

I think the Kellogg corporation must be feeling like they are missing the boat when it comes to holidays they should try to capitalize on.

The fireants would enjoy them. :thinking:

PPHSfan
04-14-2011, 02:46 PM
I just checked. Looked all over the Bible. Couldn't find Easter bunny, Easter egg, Easter sale, Christmas bonus, Christmas party, Christmas candy, Christmas rubbers, or Santa Clause anywhere. And I looked hard too.

Ranger Mom
04-14-2011, 03:05 PM
I just checked. Looked all over the Bible. Couldn't find Easter bunny, Easter egg, Easter sale, Christmas bonus, Christmas party, Christmas candy, Christmas rubbers, or Santa Clause anywhere. And I looked hard too.

How about Rudolph or Frosty??

pirate4state
04-14-2011, 03:23 PM
I say we need to hit the bong and THEN have this conversation. :smoker: LOL

Farmersfan
04-14-2011, 03:29 PM
That's definitely food for thought. That actually sounds more plausible than the evolutionary theory. People back in those days were probably just as "smart" as they are now, yet they were actually more spiritual, in my opinion. The evidence points toward your theory, too, because of some of the archaeological evidence and some of the engineering feats that were performed thousands of years ago. What if the same kind of thing happened today? Only a few people remained, and all the scientists of today were the ones that perished, wouldn't we basically have to start all over again? I seriously doubt this earth has been here as long as scientists think. I've always said that the earth was an entirely different earth, ecologically speaking, a few thousand years ago.

The entire planet is full of amazing engineering these days and you credit them with higher intelligence over a few Alien assisted pyramids and aquaducts? :D :D

waterboy
04-14-2011, 03:47 PM
The entire planet is full of amazing engineering these days and you credit them with higher intelligence over a few Alien assisted pyramids and aquaducts? :D :D
:rolleyes: Yep, maybe them aliens were smarter than us, helped them build those engineering marvels, got mad at them for some reason, and took their toys home with them.......:doh: :D

:thinking: Hmmm.......so THAT'S where all them tools went! Back to a distant planet near Alpha Centauri....:thinking: What color is the sky where you're from?:D

TheDOCTORdre
04-14-2011, 05:11 PM
I was here