PDA

View Full Version : Region 1 Reg Qtr-Final Picks and Thoughts

Matthew328
02-23-2003, 06:34 PM
Midland Greenwood (24-6) vs Sweetwater (18-11)
2 of the hotter teams in Region 1 will be dueling in a football playoff rematch...Sweetwater is really impressing as they roll through the postseason..Greenwood hasn't be talked about much but their 32 point win over Littlefield certianly got people's attention! I think much like the football matchup this one will be down to the wire..Matt's pick: SWEETWATER

Everman (28-6) vs Abilene Wylie (27-6)
Another football playoff rematch..as these two Bulldogs are getting to know each other quite well..Everman obliterated Vernon by 53 on Friday...Wylie beat Lake Dallas on a late 3 pointer...Wylie's only shot will be to keep the game at a slow pace..I think they may be able to accomplish this for a while..but in the end Everman has a bit too much..Matt's pick: EVERMAN

Merkel (29-4) vs Canyon (29-4)
A big time matchup here 2 top 10 teams going at it..both teams have great post play...Canyon's edge is in guard play..Merkel lost one of their better guards at the end of the regular season and that may be their demise..Matt's pick: CANYON

Decatur (17-10) vs Iowa Park (24-7)
2 district champs going at it here...both teams got scares last round but were able to survive...it'll be another barn burner when these 2 get together...IP's Rowland in this one..Matt's pick: IOWA PARK

wildstangs
02-23-2003, 07:15 PM
Sweetwater - Greenwood: Sweetwater is getting hot, if they have another good start (21-0), they will win for sure. I think it comes down to the 4th though, with Sweetwater winning by about 8. Most of the basketball players were on the football team and want a little revenge.

Wylie - Everman: I dont like Wylie's chances here. The Bulldogs from the DFW are are just to good. Everman wins by about 18. But feel free to prove me wrong Wylie.

Canyon - Merkel: I feel this will be the best game of the week. Both have strong winning traditions. Gotta go with Canyon in this one though. Merkel didn't sound to hot against Dimmitt, and beating Panhandle teams isn't easy. Canyon wins be 9.

Decatur - Sanger: Don't know anything about either of these teams. Saw Decatur play football once though, and they have some good athletes. Decatur by 5.

I would love to see Sweetwater, Wylie and Merkel all win this week. That would be huge for the Big Coutry. Tough, tough assignment though. Good luck to all, lets hear your predictions.

Wtx_coach
02-23-2003, 11:13 PM
Hey sweetwater fans dont worry about greenwood, you guys will beat greenwood by atleast 15 points, grteenwood dont have much, all they have is a guard b the name of hatley, other then that reall not to much talent, but these guys play well together but sweetwater has way to much for them.

MASH4077
02-24-2003, 09:58 AM
Sweetstangs, it is time for you to do your homework. First of all Decatur is playing Iowa Park not Sanger.Secondly District 7-3A which has Decatur,Sanger,Lake Dallas representing it almost had all three teams still playing this week.(Sanger lost to IP by one and LD lost to Abilene Wylie by 3). And on the subject of the football game, If our quarterback does'nt have 2 broken bones in his foot we win that game easily. So please a little respect if you dont mind.

Ranger Mom
02-24-2003, 10:53 AM
Wtx_coach:
Hey sweetwater fans dont worry about greenwood, you guys will beat greenwood by atleast 15 points, grteenwood dont have much, all they have is a guard b the name of hatley, other then that reall not to much talent, but these guys play well together but sweetwater has way to much for them.I have to admit I haven't watched any basketball this season, but.....Hatley is hardly ever "high point", so I would have to say there is a little more talent than just him!!

By the way Wtx_Coach, aren't you from Pecos? I was there all day long Saturday for a track meet, and according to the track schedule the district meet will be held there also!

wildstangs
02-24-2003, 04:49 PM
MASH4077:
Sweetstangs, it is time for you to do your homework. First of all Decatur is playing Iowa Park not Sanger.Secondly District 7-3A which has Decatur,Sanger,Lake Dallas representing it almost had all three teams still playing this week.(Sanger lost to IP by one and LD lost to Abilene Wylie by 3). And on the subject of the football game, If our quarterback does'nt have 2 broken bones in his foot we win that game easily. So please a little respect if you dont mind.Woah my bad man. I knew Iowa Park, just happened to put Sanger on accident. And on the football game, Since your brought it up, Decatur was NOT the better team that day. Its a shame your QB was hurt, but tough nut. Maybe if the coaches didnt have him in late in the game the week before when the game was in check he wouldnt have been hurt. I know West Texas teams dont beat the Metroplex "powers" all that often. But get over it. In ten years when everyone looks back the books are still gonna read Sweetwater 24 Decautur 21. Sweetwater won, so you and anyone else who still wants to whine about it needs to get over it. You dont see my whining about our close loss the week after.

Wtx_coach
02-24-2003, 04:56 PM
Ranger Mom:

Wtx_coach:
Hey sweetwater fans dont worry about greenwood, you guys will beat greenwood by atleast 15 points, grteenwood dont have much, all they have is a guard b the name of hatley, other then that reall not to much talent, but these guys play well together but sweetwater has way to much for them.I have to admit I haven't watched any basketball this season, but.....Hatley is hardly ever "high point", so I would have to say there is a little more talent than just him!!

By the way Wtx_Coach, aren't you from Pecos? I was there all day long Saturday for a track meet, and according to the track schedule the district meet will be held there also!Well rangermom, I think you need to go to a basketball game ans sit down and watch it, and by the way if hatley wasnt on the team greenwood would be hurting, hes the man that gets the game rolling, and rangermom he does lead in scoring most of the times. Yes I was at the track meet saturday and Pecos won it by 4 points, and no I dont thin the district track meet is in Pecos, I think it might be in Kermit or Monahans, im not for sure.

Ranger Mom
02-24-2003, 08:57 PM
I guess I should have clarified that statement. My kids are in Junior High, and that's where their district meet is. Even though it doesn't mean anything in the long run.
As far as B-ball goes, I am NOT a big fan. I just keep up with it in the paper, and I am not taking anything away from Chris Hatley, he is a very good player. I just don't think he is ALL Greenwood has! wink

mustang04
02-24-2003, 08:57 PM
hey MASH4077....easy up fella, i was playing that game against decature and ill be the first to tell u yall had a very awesome team, prolly better than greenwood but u never know and never will know cuz its all said and done, but i will give decature BIG props for fighting to the last second and the last few inches...but i have to agree w/ wildstangs we did win and its final, but yall were an awesome team and i just wanted u to hear that from someon who stepped foot on the field against ya

MASH4077
02-24-2003, 09:28 PM
Just blowing off a little steam, its been a long time since decatur has had a good team and we are just craving some respect,and Sweetwater was the classiest team we played all year and I have nothing but respect for the Mustangs.