PDA

View Full Version : ignorant shouldn't be allowed to vote

Emerson1
04-13-2011, 10:44 PM
http://articles.cnn.com/2011-04-12/opinion/granderson.ignorant.vote_1_ignorant-voters-political-system-ignorant-people?_s=PM:OPINION

this guy is on to something

Ernest T Bass
04-14-2011, 05:44 AM
Ive actually had this debate before. It will draw comparisons to the poll tax and grandfather clauses of the Jim Crow era, but free education is available to all. I do believe that a basic understanding of the history of our country and the workings of our government should be required to be a registered voter. Maybe a short competince test? Maybe the same test that immigrants must pass to gain citizenship(you have to pass the US Citizenship test in order to pass MY class)?
Another provocative question; Im not sure who it was, but someone once said that democracy will only last until people realize that they can vote for a tax and escape it at the same time. So, what about those who don't work? Should they be allowed to vote as well?

Farmersfan
04-14-2011, 08:07 AM
How do we justify taking away one of the few guaranteed rights of American citizens? I agree that we should require some kind of knowledge of the facts before a vote is allowed but who decides how much knowledge is required or exactly how to test for that knowledge. And I don't think what would solve any our problems because a lot of otherwise intelligent people fell for Obama's crap during the last election. It's not only the uninformed that cast their vote in a ignorant way. I don't think fixing the voters is the answer. Fixing the system that allows Politicians to lie to get votes is what will make a difference. On a similar note: I watched Sportscenter this morning and they showed an interview with Ozzie Quillen (Mgr. of White Sox). This guy spent his entire playing career (15 years) and Management career (7 years) in America and yet he sounds like he just walked off the boat last night. How is that possible? THAT is what is wrong with this country in my opinion. We are losing our identity. I know we were created to be a melting pot but all the ingredients of that pot were supposed to blend to form AMERICA. At some point we stopped expecting the blending and allowed each ingredient to stand on it's own. We use to be the hub of immigration because of the great opportunity we provided. Now we are the hub of immigration because of the welfare and entitlements we provide.

Tired ole Bobcat
04-14-2011, 08:12 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head Farmersfan.

bobcat1
04-14-2011, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Tired ole Bobcat
I think you hit the nail on the head Farmersfan. +1

jason
04-14-2011, 08:25 AM
apply these same arguments to reproduction

Blastoderm55
04-14-2011, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by jason
apply these same arguments to reproduction

Agreed. Let the numskulls vote, just make them stop multiplying.

JJWalker
04-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Agreed. Let the numskulls vote, just make them stop multiplying.
Don't worry ... I am done habing chillerin.

SintonFan
04-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
http://articles.cnn.com/2011-04-12/opinion/granderson.ignorant.vote_1_ignorant-voters-political-system-ignorant-people?_s=PM:OPINION

Who decides what "is" and "is not" ignorant? :thinking:

Old LB
04-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan

All the political experts of 3ADOWNLOW, they seem to have all the answers for the political woes of the world. :D

1st and goal
04-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Only 50% of Americans actually pay federal income taxes. The other half skates on by. If it were up to me, to be able to vote, you would have to pay federal taxes. If you ain't got no skin in the game, why should you be able to vote???

Daddy D 11
04-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

LOL, we are agreeing on something.

STANG RED
04-14-2011, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by 1st and goal
Only 50% of Americans actually pay federal income taxes. The other half skates on by. If it were up to me, to be able to vote, you would have to pay federal taxes. If you ain't got no skin in the game, why should you be able to vote???

:2thumbsup

PPHSfan
04-15-2011, 12:35 AM
I would be happy if stupid people just weren't allowed to DRIVE.

Let them vote and procreate all they want, just keep them off the highway!

Txbroadcaster
04-15-2011, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by 1st and goal

so only those who make enough to be taxed should be allowed to vote?

buckeyebob
04-15-2011, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan

I will be more than happy to volunteer to rule on this...I am well qualified as I capable of deciding with half my brain tied behing my back.

Macarthur
04-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
How do we justify taking away one of the few guaranteed rights of American citizens? I agree that we should require some kind of knowledge of the facts before a vote is allowed but who decides how much knowledge is required or exactly how to test for that knowledge. And I don't think what would solve any our problems because a lot of otherwise intelligent people fell for Obama's crap during the last election. It's not only the uninformed that cast their vote in a ignorant way. I don't think fixing the voters is the answer. Fixing the system that allows Politicians to lie to get votes is what will make a difference. On a similar note: I watched Sportscenter this morning and they showed an interview with Ozzie Quillen (Mgr. of White Sox). This guy spent his entire playing career (15 years) and Management career (7 years) in America and yet he sounds like he just walked off the boat last night. How is that possible? THAT is what is wrong with this country in my opinion. We are losing our identity. I know we were created to be a melting pot but all the ingredients of that pot were supposed to blend to form AMERICA. At some point we stopped expecting the blending and allowed each ingredient to stand on it's own. We use to be the hub of immigration because of the great opportunity we provided. Now we are the hub of immigration because of the welfare and entitlements we provide.

What exactly is the 'American Identity'?

SintonFan
04-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by buckeyebob
I will be more than happy to volunteer to rule on this...I am well qualified as I am capable of deciding with half my brain tied behing my back.

lol
:D