PDA

View Full Version : Chicago School Bans Lunches From Home

Txbroadcaster
04-12-2011, 06:40 AM
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2011/04/11/Chicago-school-bans-home-packed-lunches/UPI-96921302542391/

garciap77
04-12-2011, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2011/04/11/Chicago-school-bans-home-packed-lunches/UPI-96921302542391/

My son would be mad if they ban home packed lunches here at Wylie. He brings his lunch because he wants to eat healthier.

waterboy
04-12-2011, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
My son would be mad if they ban home packed lunches here at Wylie. He brings his lunch because he wants to eat healthier.
Not to mention palatable food.... Have any of y'all eaten in a school cafeteria lately? Most of it is horrible. The government has taken nearly anything that tastes good away from our kids. I can understand taking away snack foods and such, but the food itself needs to be at least palatable. A lot of kids have to bring food from home just to make it through the day without being hungry because the food sucks so bad. When I was in school the food was good, good enough that I never brought a lunch. Those days are over, thanks to the gubmint regulations.

Txbroadcaster
04-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
Not to mention palatable food.... Have any of y'all eaten in a school cafeteria lately? Most of it is horrible. The government has taken nearly anything that tastes good away from our kids. I can understand taking away snack foods and such, but the food itself needs to be at least palatable. A lot of kids have to bring food from home just to make it through the day without being hungry because the food sucks so bad. When I was in school the food was good, good enough that I never brought a lunch. Those days are over, thanks to the gubmint regulations.

when I was in school we had pizza, hamburgers, snack lines starting Jr High, Frito Pies, soft drinks all that kind of stuff...but we also had PE AND Recess...that is what is being taken away. Kids can burn calories all day long and eat what they want as long as they are active. But PE has been deemed to unsafe and unneeded.

Farmersfan
04-12-2011, 07:45 AM
I'm thinking this couldn't possibily hold up. The school overruling the parents on something like this is stepping over the line. I wonder if there is any connection to this and Michelle Obama having political ties in Chicago?

Txbroadcaster
04-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I'm thinking this couldn't possibily hold up. The school overruling the parents on something like this is stepping over the line. I wonder if there is any connection to this and Michelle Obama having political ties in Chicago?

i dont know..most democrats I know and on the message boards think this is overreaching by a long shot as well, but you bring up a good point

I think it is more about kickbacks to the cafeteria because they werent making eough money

poisoned10
04-12-2011, 07:48 AM
In high school, I had lunch right after athletics, so I wasn't ever hungary for lunch. So I would usually have a cinnamon roll and an RC. Except for Wednesday's, which was mash potato and roll day.

waterboy
04-12-2011, 07:52 AM
It appears to me as a double standard by the gubmint when they tell our kids what they can or cannot eat, yet they take away the best way to burn the calories. On top of that they say students perform worse when they are hungry, yet they won't allow the schools to serve them anything that is palatable to eat. The government needs to stop mandating what our kids can eat. Healthy food choices should definitely be available, but it HAS to be palatable or you're defeating the purpose.

PPSTATEBOUND
04-12-2011, 08:19 AM

:thumbsup:

Farmersfan
04-12-2011, 08:21 AM
It appears to me as a double standard by the gubmint when they tell our kids what they can or cannot eat, yet they take away the best way to burn the calories. On top of that they say students perform worse when they are hungry, yet they won't allow the schools to serve them anything that is palatable to eat. The government needs to stop mandating what our kids can eat. Healthy food choices should definitely be available, but it HAS to be palatable or you're defeating the purpose.

What does the gubmint have to do with this? Isn't this the school district? I'm pretty sure the school board could nix this in a heartbeat if they chose to.
I'm thinking that probably at least 50% of the kids in our schools gualify for free lunches anyway so how do you feel that changes things? If the lunches are FREE then does the "gubmint" have the authority to tell the kids what they will or will not eat? I say yes. You want a choice? Pay for it! If it's free they can eat what they are given. But that's just me.

garciap77
04-12-2011, 08:26 AM

When I was in school, we walked uphill to and from school, and they didn't have "snow days".:D

;)

waterboy
04-12-2011, 08:43 AM
What does the gubmint have to do with this? Isn't this the school district? I'm pretty sure the school board could nix this in a heartbeat if they chose to.
I'm thinking that probably at least 50% of the kids in our schools gualify for free lunches anyway so how do you feel that changes things? If the lunches are FREE then does the "gubmint" have the authority to tell the kids what they will or will not eat? I say yes. You want a choice? Pay for it! If it's free they can eat what they are given. But that's just me.
The gubmint does regulates what can or cannot be served in public schools. It is controlled by state regulations, so NO the school board can't "nix" anything. While it is true that probably around half of the students at most schools do qualify for free or reduced-price lunches, that should NOT give them the right to regulate what paying students eat. Maybe you and Michele Obama need to get together so that y'all can come up with a plan to regulate what we eat in public...... :rolleyes: ........oh, wait.......:doh: ....she's already working on that without your approval. In my opinion, the government has NO business telling us what we can or cannot eat, period.

Old Tiger
04-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Not to mention palatable food.... Have any of y'all eaten in a school cafeteria lately? Most of it is horrible. The government has taken nearly anything that tastes good away from our kids. I can understand taking away snack foods and such, but the food itself needs to be at least palatable. A lot of kids have to bring food from home just to make it through the day without being hungry because the food sucks so bad. When I was in school the food was good, good enough that I never brought a lunch. Those days are over, thanks to the gubmint regulations. And to add to that it is not as healthy as they try to make it seem.

waterboy
04-12-2011, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
When I was in school, we walked uphill to and from school, and they didn't have "snow days".:D

Yep.....20 miles each way.....and barefooted, too....:D

lostaussie
04-12-2011, 08:45 AM
Not to mention palatable food.... Have any of y'all eaten in a school cafeteria lately? Most of it is horrible. The government has taken nearly anything that tastes good away from our kids. I can understand taking away snack foods and such, but the food itself needs to be at least palatable. A lot of kids have to bring food from home just to make it through the day without being hungry because the food sucks so bad. When I was in school the food was good, good enough that I never brought a lunch. Those days are over, thanks to the gubmint regulations. You don't even know what palatable means:D Why didn't you come by and pick up your palatable fish?

Ernest T Bass
04-12-2011, 08:53 AM
If you force kids to eat the school lunch, then you're pretty much forced to buy it for them. I see kids every day with braces and Ipods getting their free breakfast and lunch. It's getting ridiculous.

Farmersfan
04-12-2011, 08:59 AM
The gubmint does regulates what can or cannot be served in public schools. It is controlled by state regulations, so NO the school board can't "nix" anything. While it is true that probably around half of the students at most schools do qualify for free or reduced-price lunches, that should NOT give them the right to regulate what paying students eat. Maybe you and Michele Obama need to get together so that y'all can come up with a plan to regulate what we eat in public...... :rolleyes: ........oh, wait.......:doh: ....she's already working on that without your approval. In my opinion, the government has NO business telling us what we can or cannot eat, period.

You misunderstand waterboy. I was referring to this program in Chicago. the article even stated the Principal made this decison and yes the school board could nix it. And I never said the gubmint should tell us what we could eat in public. I only said that if you are getting it for free then shut the hell up and eat what the hell you get!!! (I paraphrase). I'm thinking it's time for us to put away the gubmint teat for awhile. At least until we get our scene under control. I'm tired of paying for other people while I can't afford my own.........................

pancho villa
04-12-2011, 09:08 AM
This is crap I'm glad my kids are out of school. it is my right to decide what MY kids eat not school, state or the federal gov.

DO I LIVE IN THE SOVIET UNION????

Ernest T Bass
04-12-2011, 09:10 AM
You misunderstand waterboy. I was referring to this program in Chicago. the article even stated the Principal made this decison and yes the school board could nix it. And I never said the gubmint should tell us what we could eat in public. I only said that if you are getting it for free then shut the hell up and eat what the hell you get!!! (I paraphrase). I'm thinking it's time for us to put away the gubmint teat for awhile. At least until we get our scene under control. I'm tired of paying for other people while I can't afford my own.........................

THANK YOU!! We're all arguing over where to cut spending, but how about instead of cutting "spending", we cut "give aways"?
I donate to charity when I have the cash, but when I don't, I don't. Time for our gumbint to do the same.

Bullaholic
04-12-2011, 09:26 AM
[i] DO I LIVE IN THE SOVIET UNION???? [/B]

Only if you own a time machine, pancho :D.....but I do agree with you on the lunches.

waterboy
04-12-2011, 09:26 AM
In Chicago, yes, the school board could nix that program. In the state of Texas school boards don't have that kind of control over menus. I agree that the gubmint should stop "giving away" free lunches to students who obviously could afford to pay for them. I stop short, however, of them controlling the menus to the point of the food not being palatable. Food SHOULD taste good, or else the kids won't eat it, and that defeats the purpose of the menu program to begin with. It is my opinion that the government has NO business telling us what we can or cannot eat, period. I, too, get irked when I see examples of people "using the system" when it is obvious they don't need assistance. In fact, it makes me mad to see our tax dollars wasted on those who obviously don't need it. It is a travesty to see those kids in designer clothes, sporting braces, having cell phones and IPODs, and getting free lunches. That is WASTE of our tax dollars that should be one of the FIRST things to be looked at to save money.

Ernest T Bass
04-12-2011, 09:29 AM
In Chicago, yes, the school board could nix that program. In the state of Texas school boards don't have that kind of control over menus. I agree that the gubmint should stop "giving away" free lunches to students who obviously could afford to pay for them. I stop short, however, of them controlling the menus to the point of the food not being palatable. Food SHOULD taste good, or else the kids won't eat it, and that defeats the purpose of the menu program to begin with. It is my opinion that the government has NO business telling us what we can or cannot eat, period. I, too, get irked when I see examples of people "using the system" when it is obvious they don't need assistance. In fact, it makes me mad to see our tax dollars wasted on those who obviously don't need it. It is a travesty to see those kids in designer clothes, sporting braces, having cell phones and IPODs, and getting free lunches. That is WASTE of our tax dollars that should be one of the FIRST things to be looked at to save money.

CLASS WARFARE!!!! ELITIST!!!! :mad: :mad:
:D

JasperDog94
04-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
If you force kids to eat the school lunch, then you're pretty much forced to buy it for them. I see kids every day with braces and Ipods getting their free breakfast and lunch. It's getting ridiculous. At my wife's school there are kids with all the latest clothes, dropped off in brand new 40,000 SUVs, and wearing brand new 100 dollar shoes, yet they get free lunches paid for by you and me. The system is broken. More money won't solve anything. What we need is reform.

Ernest T Bass
04-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
At my wife's school there are kids with all the latest clothes, dropped off in brand new 40,000 SUVs, and wearing brand new 100 dollar shoes, yet they get free lunches paid for by you and me. The system is broken. More money won't solve anything. What we need is reform.

Agreed. Instead of arguing over where to cut "spending", maybe cut "give aways" first. Im betting that'd go a good distance in balancing things out.

waterboy
04-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
CLASS WARFARE!!!! ELITIST!!!! :mad: :mad:
;) Blue-collar vs. freeloaders

waterboy
04-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
At my wife's school there are kids with all the latest clothes, dropped off in brand new 40,000 SUVs, and wearing brand new 100 dollar shoes, yet they get free lunches paid for by you and me. The system is broken. More money won't solve anything. What we need is reform.
That's it in a nutshell!:clap:

waterboy
04-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
You don't even know what palatable means:D Why didn't you come by and pick up your palatable fish?
:mad: Crap! I had stuff to do with my daughters that got me home late Thursday and Friday. I had Saturday tied up with a major plumbing job at the house, and church Sunday morning and evening. I forgot about it, too, or else I would've come by!:mad: I will get by, though.....

ziggy29
04-12-2011, 10:15 AM
It's one thing to eliminate "junk" from school cafeterias and vending machines. It's quite another to tell parents that they can not choose what lunch to send their kids to school with or that they are forced to buy school lunches.

Then again, this is the same bunch of nannies (Chicago) that banned foie gras. People can't be trusted to make their own choices; they know what we should have more than we do.

Txbroadcaster
04-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by ziggy29

Then again, this is the same bunch of nannies (Chicago) that banned foie gras. .

sorry but I think they way Foie Gras is created is pretty brutal and inhumane

STANG RED
04-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Chicago has long been a bed of ultra liberalism, full of people williing to give more and more control of their daily lives over to the government. Well now we're seeing just another instance of how thats working out for them. I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for people who have been so willing to give up so much control of their daily lives, when they get results they dont like.