PDA

View Full Version : Track->Football

runtowin
04-08-2011, 09:42 PM
I don't have access to some of the bigger boards, so if someone wants more input on this topic please copy and paste or link this to another site. I will be looking for responses.

First, I want to say that I believe track is essential for improving football performance. However, I am tired of coaches that claim a kid will be a good football player because of their 100, 200, hurdle times or how high/far they jump. Those are athletic attributes, they do not indicate whether or not they can play FOOTBALL. Track does not make a football player, it makes a football player better. The same can be said for the weight room. Being a football player runs much deeper than numbers. Any comments?

Read more: http://thecoachesoffice.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=524#ixzz1IzRS1CII

sTxforlife
04-08-2011, 11:09 PM
I agree 100%, u can be the strongest and fastest guy in the world but if u cant perform when u put the pads on it dont matter!

Ernest T Bass
04-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Give me a state champion sprinter and I can guarantee you an all-district football player.

Rabid Cougar
04-09-2011, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Give me a state champion sprinter and I can guarantee you an all-district football player.

Not if he doesn't like contact.

OldBison75
04-09-2011, 04:51 AM
At the HS level, a great track sprinter "can"translate into a great football player IF they are inclined to be a football player. However, there is no guarantee the track star has any inclination to play football.

There have been numerous track stars that could outrun everybody on the track, but when they put on the pads they are slower, have no hands, and are scared to hit or be hit.

I agree, that a track star can be developed into a asset to the team, but only if they have the inner desire to play a sport that requires physical contact. Straight line speed is great, but very little happens in a football game that is "straight line".

bigwood33
04-09-2011, 07:26 AM
A couple of years ago, there was a football team in our district that went 0-10 in football and they were every bit as good as their record indicated. The same group of go- daddies won district and danged near the region track meet with a stable of 100, 200, 400 meter guys who COULD go. Sent a few kids to state (I don't think any champs but really fast) but they had no interest in the discipline and toughness that they needed to be a competitive football team.
I agree with the original premise and, for the most part, I think ETB is right. A kid that fast should at least get 2nd team all district;)

GrTigers6
04-09-2011, 07:58 AM
A few years ago, Comanche had a group of boys that finished 1,2and 3 in district and i believe two of them went to state and they were one and done in the playoffs, They were fun to watch though. if either one got in the open field it was all over.

Ernest T Bass
04-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar

I can fix that well enough to make a player out of him. Besides, a state champion sprinter won't get hit much.

Pendragon13
04-09-2011, 11:11 AM
I can fix that well enough to make a player out of him. Besides, a state champion sprinter won't get hit much. he won't get hit much if he can't catch or hang on to the ball. There have been a lot of highschool/college track stars that have tried to take their skills to the football field and have failed. I'll take a guy with only average speed, yet good hands and route running skills over a world class sprinter that only knows how to run straight ahead..

GrTigers6
04-09-2011, 11:19 AM
when I was a senior we had a freshman that could run a 4.3 40 in class A. problem was he couldnt catch, and they had to mark his shoes so he would know which direction to go. he eventually got better and became a stud his junior and senior year but the passes he caught alot of was halfback screens.

Rabid Cougar
04-09-2011, 11:20 AM
I can fix that well enough to make a player out of him. Besides, a state champion sprinter won't get hit much.

I am very much in the Track helps Football camp. I wish it was required participation in our high school.

Ernest T Bass
04-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
he won't get hit much if he can't catch or hang on to the ball. There have been a lot of highschool/college track stars that have tried to take their skills to the football field and have failed. I'll take a guy with only average speed, yet good hands and route running skills over a world class sprinter that only knows how to run straight ahead..

Give me a kid with that kinda speed and 2 years of football, I'll find a place for him to be productive. Guaranteed!
I've only had one once. He's now playing for the University of Texas. But it took A LOT of work wth him.

ctown
04-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Give me a kid with that kinda speed and 2 years of football, I'll find a place for him to be productive. Guaranteed!
I've only had one once. He's now playing for the University of Texas. But it took A LOT of work wth him.

The spring after Celina's first season in 3a when they lost to DF to end the 68 games in a row, Gainesville kids were trying to figure out how the track team that couldnt stay up with them running were the same kids that beat them the previous fall. Speed helps for sure but it ain't the end all, be all. With that said, I like a teams chances better with a good track program. At least this wasn't the worn out "does 7 on 7 help in the fall?" thread.

ctown
04-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Sorry T Bass. Wasn't replying to you specifically. Hi quote instead of reply

Ernest T Bass
04-09-2011, 06:55 PM
No doubt it takes more than speed to win big. But give me some world class sprinters, and I'll win a few ball games.

FB-fanatic
04-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
A few years ago, Comanche had a group of boys that finished 1,2and 3 in district and i believe two of them went to state and they were one and done in the playoffs, They were fun to watch though. if either one got in the open field it was all over.

Ballard, Roberts, ?? If this was them, all the Roberts boys have been major overachievers despite their size.

Sweetwater Red
04-09-2011, 07:01 PM

So, you're saying you could've done a better job than Kent Jackson did with Skye Green? Skye
played three years of varsity football. By his senior year he had lost his starting job at CB and his
role on offense was reduced to almost no touches. About the only time he saw the field was
on KR. His senior year was also when he finally beat Shawnbry McNeil in the 100 meters at state
to win the title of the fastest man in 3A.

Dogman_1969
04-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Daniel Brooks - Rockdale Tiger RB and Hurdler who is committed to Stoops and the sooners just doubled up at the Texas Relays today. Took gold in the open 100 and the 110 high hurdlers. Rushed for about 1600 yds and bunch of td's this past season.

enough said........

Ernest T Bass
04-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
So, you're saying you could've done a better job than Kent Jackson did with Skye Green? Skye
played three years of varsity football. By his senior year he had lost his starting job at CB and his
role on offense was reduced to almost no touches. About the only time he saw the field was
on KR. His senior year was also when he finally beat Shawnbry McNeil in the 100 meters at state
to win the title of the fastest man in 3A.

Guess it's possible that they didn't really need him. It's also possible that there's not enough flexability in Kent's offense to take advantage of a kid like that(which was the point I was trying to make in the Giddings thread, but just gave up on it).
I don't know the circumstances, but I have to believe there were some extinuating ones.

DeuceDeuce
04-09-2011, 07:24 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
to win the title of the fastest man in 3A. [/QUOTE

The same Kent Jackson that wanted to start a program in Frisco and bailed after 2 years.

And yes I could....

TheDOCTORdre
04-09-2011, 07:27 PM
No doubt it takes more than speed to win big. But give me some world class sprinters, and I'll win a few ball games.

well just a few wont get you into the playoffs:D

Ernest T Bass
04-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by DeuceDeuce
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
to win the title of the fastest man in 3A. [/QUOTE

The same Kent Jackson that wanted to start a program in Frisco and bailed after 2 years.

And yes I could....

He left b/c promises weren't kept. Don't blame him one bit.

Sweetwater Red
04-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Guess it's possible that they didn't really need him. It's also possible that there's not enough flexability in Kent's offense to take advantage of a kid like that(which was the point I was trying to make in the Giddings thread, but just gave up on it).
I don't know the circumstances, but I have to believe there were some extinuating ones.

Yeah, in the wishbone, he was only effective in open space. That left Jackson using him on
power sweeps etc. And unless he made the corner, there was a LB or FS there to meet him at the
line of scrimmage. He was small and couldn't break many tackles.

Not sure if he could've used Green in the passing game because we didn't have one.

jambo67
04-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Sports writers, twitters and bloggers have a huge influence. If you take an athlete "they" project as a blue chipper it's a safe move and you took an acceptable chance. If it didnt work out they busted because of some untangible no one could predict. If you take an athlete that doesnt fit the recruiting services parameters(height/weight/40time) for a certain position and that dude fails you will be called into question, your ability to deem talent is subject to scrutiny. If I were a college coach or a pro GM I wouldnt watch a second of film, I'd conform to the "experts" and keep my job.

Ernest T Bass
04-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by jambo67
Sports writers, twitters and bloggers have a huge influence. If you take an athlete "they" project as a blue chipper it's a safe move and you took an acceptable chance. If it didnt work out they busted because of some untangible no one could predict. If you take an athlete that doesnt fit the recruiting services parameters(height/weight/40time) for a certain position and that dude fails you will be called into question, your ability to deem talent is subject to scrutiny. If I were a college coach or a pro GM I wouldnt watch a second of film, I'd conform to the "experts" and keep my job.

That's what Mack Brown has done. It cost most of his staff their job last year, and another year like that will cost him his.
In the end, it all comes down to W's.

runtowin
04-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969
Daniel Brooks - Rockdale Tiger RB and Hurdler who is committed to Stoops and the sooners just doubled up at the Texas Relays today. Took gold in the open 100 and the 110 high hurdlers. Rushed for about 1600 yds and bunch of td's this past season.

enough said........

Read the opening. Brooks is a football player that runs track. You are supporting my argument. Maybe that is what you intended. No where did I ever say that you couldn't be good at both. I claim that just because you excel in track that doesn't mean that you would make a good football player. They say speed kills, but not if it is going in the wrong direction.

Ernest T Bass
04-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Can always do like I did a few years ago. Had a kid from Jamacia enroll as a senior. Kid was a one man track team, but knew nothing about football(remember, I said give me 2 years). But he could outrun and outjump anyone we played.
So, we put a rag on his head, gloves, wrist bands, spats, the whole 9 yards. Dressed him up like Deion Sanders, lined him up at WR, CB, and KR. No one ever threw to his side, kicked to him, and he drew double coverage everytime!!
The one time someone threw to his side, just by dumb luck he picked it off and took it 70 yards for a TD.
He was a legitimate threat as a KR, though.

Rabid Cougar
04-11-2011, 06:53 AM
All I have to say is Bob Hayes.

Not an outstanding high school player, nor did he play college football but as a track athlete, he was the fastest man on earth.

Pro football had to change because of him. There was no Zone defense before he came along. The only man ever to win a Olympic Gold Medal and a Super Bowl Ring

Ernest T must have been his coach :)

Black_Magic
04-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Not if he doesn't like contact. I dont know about that. We had a state champion sprinter and I will tell you he didnt like contact much his fr. so. and Jr years. but with a little confidence building,persistently giving him the ball in workouts and games, he became plenty tough enough to carry the ball. He was no tank mind you but he was scary when he was loose.

BEAST
04-11-2011, 11:10 AM

Wrong. Jaxon Shipley doesnt love contact. I think he did pretty well though.

BEAST

playnhurt
04-11-2011, 11:19 AM
I coached in a school that was pretty darn good in track for years but that success did not transfer to the gridiron.

nobogey72
04-11-2011, 11:21 AM
My wife doesn't like contact, and she is not very fast either.:(

runtowin
04-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by nobogey72

I don't want her on my football team

Ernest T Bass
04-11-2011, 11:22 AM

Then that should work out fine :D

Black_Magic
04-11-2011, 11:30 AM
My wife doesn't like contact, and she is not very fast either.:( I will PM you on My wifes diet. Maybe making that kind of change will help you or her out. It must help my wife.;)

Rabid Cougar
04-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
Wrong. Jaxon Shipley doesnt love contact. I think he did pretty well though.

BEAST

Jaxon Shipley is no Mike Hicks that is for sure....

bobcat1
04-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
A few years ago, Comanche had a group of boys that finished 1,2and 3 in district and i believe two of them went to state and they were one and done in the playoffs, They were fun to watch though. if either one got in the open field it was all over. Was that 2007?:p

BEAST
04-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Jaxon Shipley is no Mike Hicks that is for sure....

Thats for sure. I'd take Jaxon Shipley 10 x out of 10.

BEAST

nobogey72
04-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Thats for sure. I'd take Jaxon Shipley 10 x out of 10.

BEAST

That's what I was thinking. Hopefully, what he meant was that Hicks was a pretty physical player and no doubt a better defensive player. But, offensively there was no comparison. IMO

bobcat1
04-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Jaxon Shipley is no Mike Hicks that is for sure.... I've seen both as seniors in High School in Big games and I have to say honestly that I would take Jaxon. Mike Hicks was great but not Jaxon Shipley.

TheDOCTORdre
04-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Wrong. Jaxon Shipley doesnt love contact.

BEAST

are you saying Jaxon Shipley is scared:eek: :D

ccmom
04-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
I've seen both as seniors in High School in Big games and I have to say honestly that I would take Jaxon. Mike Hicks was great but not Jaxon Shipley. +1

BEAST
04-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
are you saying Jaxon Shipley is scared:eek: :D

Not in the least. He just doesnt look for contact. Instead, he outruns it. Plain and simple. If you ask me, its damn smart.

BEAST

TheDOCTORdre
04-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Not in the least. He just doesnt look for contact. Instead, he outruns it. Plain and simple. If you ask me, its damn smart.

BEAST

you literally just took all the fun out of that:(

bobcat1
04-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
you literally just took all the fun out of that:( :spitlol:

Rabid Cougar
04-11-2011, 10:33 PM
That's what I was thinking. Hopefully, what he meant was that Hicks was a pretty physical player and no doubt a better defensive player. But, offensively there was no comparison. IMO

I am saying that Hicks was comparativly a better all around football player who happened to run track. He was smaller than Shipley but much more physical on either side of the ball.

How can you say no comparison offensively?
Hick's numbers double up Shipley on everthing except TDs per receptions.
He finished No.2 in receptions in Texas Football History behind Jordan not Jaxson.

Ernest T Bass
04-11-2011, 10:55 PM
How can you say no comparison offensively?

He didn't play for Brownwood. Playing for Bwd automatically adds 3,000 yards and 40 TDs to your record. Don't you know that?

BEAST
04-12-2011, 08:41 AM
He didn't play for Brownwood. Playing for Bwd automatically adds 3,000 yards and 40 TDs to your record. Don't you know that?

You know ETB, these kind of posts are getting really, really old.

BEAST

jason
04-12-2011, 08:43 AM
He didn't play for Brownwood. Playing for Bwd automatically adds 3,000 yards and 40 TDs to your record. Don't you know that? too bad for brownwood fans it wasn't 3,007 yards and 41 touchdowns...

Ernest T Bass
04-12-2011, 08:44 AM
You know ETB, these kind of posts are getting really, really old.

BEAST

So is the accuracy of them. ;)

BEAST
04-12-2011, 09:43 AM
So is the accuracy of them. ;)

Not really. Not right now anyway. I was just one of several who said they would take Jaxon. The folks that went into specifics as to why are from other towns.

BEAST

runtowin
04-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Not really. Not right now anyway. I was just one of several who said they would take Jaxon. The folks that went into specifics as to why are from other towns.

BEAST

Y'all have hijacked the thread. The discussion was not Shipley vs anybody else. The discussion was does track performance equal performance in Football. I say it can but I need to see the kid play football, I will not base football ability on track performance.

RoyceTTU
04-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by runtowin
Y'all have hijacked the thread. The discussion was not Shipley vs anybody else. The discussion was does track performance equal performance in Football. I say it can but I need to see the kid play football, I will not base football ability on track performance.

:hijacktd:

Without the proper smiley, your post isn't valid :taunt: :)

BEAST
04-12-2011, 10:04 AM

I didnt hijack anything. I was talking about Jaxon and his track speed and how it related to his success on the gridiron. Rabid Cougar is the one that hijacked it.

BEAST

runtowin
04-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
:hijacktd:

Without the proper smiley, your post isn't valid :taunt: :)

Thank you, I've never gotten into the smileys and avatars etc.

RoyceTTU
04-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Thank you, I've never gotten into the smileys and avatars etc.

I didn't want to be left out of all the teasing going on:D

cowboyandchrist
04-12-2011, 09:20 PM
I don't have access to some of the bigger boards, so if someone wants more input on this topic please copy and paste or link this to another site. I will be looking for responses.

First, I want to say that I believe track is essential for improving football performance. However, I am tired of coaches that claim a kid will be a good football player because of their 100, 200, hurdle times or how high/far they jump. Those are athletic attributes, they do not indicate whether or not they can play FOOTBALL. Track does not make a football player, it makes a football player better. The same can be said for the weight room. Being a football player runs much deeper than numbers. Any comments?

Read more: http://thecoachesoffice.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=524#ixzz1IzRS1CII
I can only speak for the Tatum Eagle program. We have one of the best track coaches, not only in the state but the country in coach hag. He also coaches football (special teams and DB'S) We would not be as strong of a football program as we are without coach hag and his track program. All of our football players take track from linemen to backs.
When he retires I hope the man that replaces him walks in the same foot prints he left. Track at Tatum makes or brakes the next years football team.