PDA

View Full Version : Old record albums offered to me

Cam
04-08-2011, 02:56 PM
I used to be a big music collector (own over 1500 albums and 1000 CD's). A friend of mine who's husband (a musician) unfortunately passed away has offered me his album collection (over 1000 albums) dating back to the 60's. Problem is I don't have that much room for them. My wife don't want em'. I do. Never know what gems might be in there. He was a blues/rocker type. Should I take em or leave em??

Ranger Mom
04-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Cam
I used to be a big music collector (own over 1500 albums and 1000 CD's). A friend of mine who's husband (a musician) unfortunately passed away has offered me his album collection (over 1000 albums) dating back to the 60's. Problem is I don't have that much room for them. My wife don't want em'. I do. Never know what gems might be in there. He was a blues/rocker type. Should I take em or leave em??

Just out of curiosity, are old albums worth anything?? Another thing, albums that are stored in an attic with NO ventilation.....is that bad for them if they are packed tightly?

Txbroadcaster
04-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Just out of curiosity, are old albums worth anything?? Another thing, albums that are stored in an attic with NO ventilation.....is that bad for them if they are packed tightly?

yes certain old vinyl albums can be worth a fortune

Ranger Mom
04-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
yes certain old vinyl albums can be worth a fortune

Uh oh!!:eek:

Cam
04-08-2011, 03:03 PM

His albums are still in his music room on the shelves. Problem is I don't have the shelf space he does....

Ranger Mom
04-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Cam
His albums are still in his music room on the shelves. Problem is I don't have the shelf space he does....

I was asking that question for personal reasons. I just threw away 3 boxes of OLD albums that had been stored in an attic for at least 3 years. I figured they were probably ruined.

They weren't mine to throw away, but someone told me to do it, so I did!!!

I skeered now!!!

pero chato
04-08-2011, 03:31 PM
I'm a recorder collector too (3500 lps), so my answer is please take them and don't let anyone throw them away or put them in the attic. Find the room somewhere!

Ranger Mom
04-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Please answer my question! If albums are stored in an attic that gets to 150+ degrees....are they pretty much ruined??

Please tell me yes, so I won't feel so guilty that I might have thrown away someone's (even though I don't really care for the person) valuable album collection!!

Cam
04-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Please answer my question! If albums are stored in an attic that gets to 150+ degrees....are they pretty much ruined??

Please tell me yes, so I won't feel so guilty that I might have thrown away someone's (even though I don't really care for the person) valuable album collection!!

You probably threw away a copy of the Beatle's "White Album"...it was probably still sealed....making it worth about $1200.00!!!:D

pero chato
04-08-2011, 03:54 PM

There's a chance they wouldn't be warped or dirty if they were in a tightly sealed box. I just went through some of my brother in law's that were in the attic for 15 years or so, and most were still in good shape.

Cam
04-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by pero chato
There's a chance they wouldn't be warped or dirty if they were in a tightly sealed box. I just went through some of my brother in law's that were in the attic for 15 years or so, and most were still in good shape.

Reminds me of when I was a little kid and my cousin pissed me off (don't remember why). Anyway, I took his brand new double album of "Grand Funk Railroad - Live" and hid it from him for two weeks! In the window sill! When I gave it back to him it was so warped you could give yourself a real nice foot massage....nevertheless, he didn't speak to me for months...I still have that album.....

Ranger Mom
04-08-2011, 04:34 PM

The box wasn't sealed at all...they were just tightly packed in three different boxes.

The box was so heavy that I dropped the first one from the attic to the garage floor and the box busted. There were A LOT of albums that still had the cellophane wrapping on it.

I didn't spend a lot of time going through them, but recognized Olivia Newton John and Glen Campbell....and prices of $2.95 on some of them.

I feel kinda sick now!!!!!

LH Panther Mom
04-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Take 'em!

We have probably six or seven hundred albums that have been in the garage for years. I don't even know what all is out there. I'm pretty sure they include The Beatles, Deep Purple, The Grateful Dead, Cream, John Denver, The Jackson Five, and a ton of other bands/artists. Oh, and I can't forget Dr. Demento. :doh:

PPHSfan
04-08-2011, 06:06 PM
I still have my Beatles White Album. But it's not sealed. It still sounds great though.

Sweetwater Red
04-08-2011, 06:33 PM
My one and only LP story.

When I was nine years old my aunt gave me a record player and some albums she didn't want
anymore.

Those were Abba (Dancing queen anyone?) :doh: , Foreigner(4), Kiss (Alive II),
Kiss (Double Platinum) and ELO (don't remember the album).

Those are the only albums I have ever 'owned'. :nerd:

According to my mom, I wore all of them out. Well, except for Abba anyway. :D

Blastoderm55
04-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I wore all of them out. Well, except for Abba anyway. :D

This is a safe place. You can be honest. :)

Sweetwater Red
04-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
This is a safe place. You can be honest. :)

Lol. Okay I was nine! I didn't know any better! :D

Phil C
04-08-2011, 07:05 PM
RM they were probably ruined and not worth much money anyway.
Cam don't take a chance. Make room for them and keep them.

buckeyebob
04-09-2011, 05:26 AM
As I am told...the vinyl is coming back. The CD is not what it is trumped to be. Vinyl has nuances of sound that are not on digital...so break out the old turntable & get ready.

PS...Albums tightly packed will resist warping...never throw them away...find some single guy or a married one who has a resonable wife and let him keep the flame alive. I still listen to mine.

PPHSfan
04-09-2011, 10:25 AM
:doh:

carter08
04-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Free vinyl?! I'd take them in a heartbeat.

Pendragon13
04-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by buckeyebob
As I am told...the vinyl is coming back. The CD is not what it is trumped to be. Vinyl has nuances of sound that are not on digital...so break out the old turntable & get ready.

PS...Albums tightly packed will resist warping...never throw them away...find some single guy or a married one who has a resonable wife and let him keep the flame alive. I still listen to mine. Vinyl may be coming back for audiophiles and people 35+ nostalgic for the past....but there is now a whole generation raised on poorly mastered cd's and low bit-rate MP3's, and they couldn't care less about "nuances".

carter08
04-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Vinyl may be coming back for audiophiles and people 35+ nostalgic for the past....but there is now a whole generation raised on poorly mastered cd's and low bit-rate MP3's, and they couldn't care less about "nuances".

I know a lot of 20somethings that buy and listen to vinyl. I buy and listen to vinyl. A lot of bands that include 20somethings put out vinyls.

nobogey72
04-11-2011, 12:01 PM
I actually have a bunch (100 or so) old albums that were my parents and in laws. I looked through them one time and remember there being a Beatles White Album. So you're saying it is worth something? There was also a couple of old Chubby Checker and some Patsy Clines? Are they worth anything, and if so, who would you sell them to?

pero chato
04-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
I actually have a bunch (100 or so) old albums that were my parents and in laws. I looked through them one time and remember there being a Beatles White Album. So you're saying it is worth something? There was also a couple of old Chubby Checker and some Patsy Clines? Are they worth anything, and if so, who would you sell them to?

The Beatles White album cover needs to have their name "The Beatles" imprinted (raised) on the front along with a serial number stamped on it. Condition of the cover and vinyl is the key like any other collectible. Try ebay for pricing/value. The Chubby Checker might be worth a little if you have the original posters that he typically put in his albums. Patsy Cline I'm not sure, depends on if it's the original label and of course, condition.

Cam
04-11-2011, 01:33 PM
The Beatles White album cover needs to have their name "The Beatles" imprinted (raised) on the front along with a serial number stamped on it. Condition of the cover and vinyl is the key like any other collectible. Try ebay for pricing/value. The Chubby Checker might be worth a little if you have the original posters that he typically put in his albums. Patsy Cline I'm not sure, depends on if it's the original label and of course, condition.

Hey Pero, I got me one of those "White Albums" this weekend. Yes, I decided to latch onto this collection. It took alot of runs up and down the stairs! And like you say, the White album does have their raised name and a serial number on the lower right corner. The whole collection is awesome. He really took care of his stuff. Most look like they've never been played. Alot of stuff from the 60's & 70's. All kinds of music but mostly good ol' rock & roll.

greendawg84
04-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Cam
Hey Pero, I got me one of those "White Albums" this weekend. Yes, I decided to latch onto this collection. It took alot of runs up and down the stairs! And like you say, the White album does have their raised name and a serial number on the lower right corner. The whole collection is awesome. He really took care of his stuff. Most look like they've never been played. Alot of stuff from the 60's & 70's. All kinds of music but mostly good ol' rock & roll.

Look out Inks lake will be rocking to the Beetle tunes this weekend
:D

pero chato
04-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Cam

Good choice! Plus you got a little exercise.
Check and see if you have the Beatles "Yesterday and Today" butcher cover. It's the one with cut up dolls and meat pictured on it. It was banned soon after it was released and a tamer cover was released shortly thereafter.