PDA

View Full Version : Sad day!

Johnny Utah
04-07-2011, 01:33 PM
The legend, former head hoops coach at Navasota and currently in the same position at Stephenville, Mr. Mike Dacus is retiring!!! Great leader, great coach, great person. The coaching, teaching and mentoring profession is losing a Hall of Famer!!!

Ernest T Bass
04-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Wow! Hadn't heard that. Didn't think he was that old.
That's two we've lost to early retirement, no doubt due to budget cuts.
DR Hooks and now Mike Dacus.

NastySlot
04-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Wow had not heard this. The teaching and coaching profession is losing a really Good One.

Best of Luck to him and Julie.

NastySlot
04-07-2011, 01:42 PM
dang it...would of like to of read the article in the s-ville paper.

navscanmaster
04-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Wow, coach is retiring.:(

Man convinced me to put down the clipboard as a freshman manager and put on the sneakers and shorts. His conditioning program, which pretty much was running with the cross country team during off season, scared me away when I first started, but he knew me and my family since I was born. He knew I loved to play basketball and convinced me that the conditioning was worth it. I ended up running at a Huntsville meet in like 18.5 minutes and competing in the 1600/3200 on the track team as well. It was sad to see him go, but his protege and 1990 championship guard Donald Wesley has already stepped down as well. Navasota basketball is still strong, but just not the same.

MUSTANG69
04-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Wow! Hadn't heard that. Didn't think he was that old.
That's two we've lost to early retirement, no doubt due to budget cuts.
DR Hooks and now Mike Dacus. :rolleyes:

Ernest T Bass
04-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
:rolleyes:

You roll your eyes, but that is THE reason that Daniel Ray Hooks and Gary Olivo retired. They knew it was about to get rough and they were close to retirement anyway. So, instead of dealing with the coming frustration, they stepped aside to allow some younger folks to keep their jobs.

MUSTANG69
04-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
You roll your eyes, but that is THE reason that Daniel Ray Hooks and Gary Olivo retired. They knew it was about to get rough and they were close to retirement anyway. So, instead of dealing with the coming frustration, they stepped aside to allow some younger folks to keep their jobs.

Fine. Make that statement when you know for a fact that is why Mike Dacus retired. Maybe it is true but don't make the assumption that it is. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you about your posts on other threads. Just have the facts when you make these kind of statements.

Ernest T Bass
04-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
Fine. Make that statement when you know for a fact that is why Mike Dacus retired. Maybe it is true but don't make the assumption that it is. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you about your posts on other threads. Just have the facts when you make these kind of statements.

Fair enough. I know for a fact that's why Dan and Gary hung it up this year, and both are much older than Mike. So was simply infering.

Matthew328
04-07-2011, 04:09 PM
A graduate of Everman High!

navscanmaster
04-12-2011, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
A graduate of Everman High!

and Texas Wesleyan too IIRC.

venomous tat2
04-12-2011, 08:42 AM
I hate to hear that if it's true he was known as " legend " before he left Navasota the late Marvin Wesley started calling him that . After a few years of coaching girls jv basketball he gave me my chance to shine in boys basketball where he taught me a lot . Great man , father ,and coach and for those of you who may not know it he was a hell of a defense coordinator as well .

zebrablue2
04-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by venomous tat2
I hate to hear that if it's true he was known as " legend " before he left Navasota the late Marvin Wesley started calling him that . After a few years of coaching girls jv basketball he gave me my chance to shine in boys basketball where he taught me a lot . Great man , father ,and coach and for those of you who may not know it he was a hell of a defense coordinator as well .

I should have known Marvin would give him that name! I sure miss my wing man! Left us way too soon!