PDA

View Full Version : Mavs

Farmersfan
04-07-2011, 10:32 AM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

That is all!

Txbroadcaster
04-07-2011, 10:33 AM
they are what they are...they are a solid squad that could beat any team in a series, and lose to any team in a series.

waterboy
04-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
they are what they are...they are a solid squad that could beat any team in a series, and lose to any team in a series.
Exactly. They are definitely underachieving at this point, and fading fast. If that continues I doubt they'll get past the first round. Good news is if they get past the first round, they might get Caron Butler back. The bad news is the Mavs will likely be playing the Lakers or the Spurs. They'll have to be playing lights out to even compete with those teams.

Farmersfan
04-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Something like 10 straight 50 win seasons to go along with 1st round exits in 3 out of the past 4 seasons. Why do you suppose this team fails so badly in the playoffs? I saw a interview on ESPN with Chris Mullen (:doh: ) who said the Mavs seem to have a mental block when the playoffs start. I think Caron Butler would help in the playoffs but didn't he basically disappear last year in the playoffs? The good thing about this slide now is perhaps it will help some of us not be sooooooooo disappointed again when they get swept by the Timberwolves or Cavs. in the first round. (that's a joke TXB)
I see that MLB Power Rankings now has Dallas ranked #9 which is a 3 spot drop in 1 week. I also just realized that Dallas has played 20 of the last 30 games on the road. I guess a 3 game skid against top 10 rated teams in the NBA isn't reason to jump ship yet. But when other players or ex-players knows a team has a mental problem or chemistry issue that causes tem to fail in the playoffs then I suspect there is a problem. I think I have not made it a secret that in my opinion the problem stems from the style of play and weakness of their superstar. A perfect example might be in the last loss the Nuggests were stepping up and bombing uncontested 3's and dunking layups at the end of the game while Dirk was missing 15' hurky-jerky, off-balanced, bumbling, stumbling turnaround fadeaway jumpshots. I know the loss wasn't Dirks fault but the team chemistry is indicative of their biggest star. Or not! GO MAVS!

Txbroadcaster
04-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Something like 10 straight 50 win seasons to go along with 1st round exits in 3 out of the past 4 seasons. Why do you suppose this team fails so badly in the playoffs? I saw a interview on ESPN with Chris Mullen (:doh: ) who said the Mavs seem to have a mental block when the playoffs start. I think Caron Butler would help in the playoffs but didn't he basically disappear last year in the playoffs? The good thing about this slide now is perhaps it will help some of us not be sooooooooo disappointed again when they get swept by the Timberwolves or Cavs. in the first round. (that's a joke TXB)
I see that MLB Power Rankings now has Dallas ranked #9 which is a 3 spot drop in 1 week. I also just realized that Dallas has played 20 of the last 30 games on the road. I guess a 3 game skid against top 10 rated teams in the NBA isn't reason to jump ship yet. But when other players or ex-players knows a team has a mental problem or chemistry issue that causes tem to fail in the playoffs then I suspect there is a problem. I think I have not made it a secret that in my opinion the problem stems from the style of play and weakness of their superstar. A perfect example might be in the last loss the Nuggests were stepping up and bombing uncontested 3's and dunking layups at the end of the game while Dirk was missing 15' hurky-jerky, off-balanced, bumbling, stumbling turnaround fadeaway jumpshots. I know the loss wasn't Dirks fault but the team chemistry is indicative of their biggest star. Or not! GO MAVS!

I dont think mental block and tea chemistry go hand in hand..I think this plays well together and the chemistry is there

Is there a mental block? Possibly I am still not sure Dirk and Jet have shaken off what happen in the finals agianst the Heat..not just that they lost but how it went down.

waterboy
04-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I dont think mental block and tea chemistry go hand in hand..I think this plays well together and the chemistry is there

Is there a mental block? Possibly I am still not sure Dirk and Jet have shaken off what happen in the finals agianst the Heat..not just that they lost but how it went down.
Yep. You gotta know that loss in the finals had to affect them. It seemed the NBA made sure they would lose because of some of Cuban's antics. They must feel there's some truth to that. Phil Jackson even thinks there's some merit to the refs blowing the finals judging by some of his comments:

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=6211182

Jackson said while Cuban has toned down over the years, he believes the outspoken owner's criticism of referees might have cost the Mavericks the 2006 NBA Finals against Dwyane Wade and the Miami Heat.

"That Miami Finals really was a tough one to swallow," Jackson said before the Lakers won 96-91 on Saturday night in Dallas. "I think Wade averaged about 25 foul shots a game. You couldn't even touch him. That was really tough to swallow and I think he understood there's kind of a pecking order in this league and you keep your mouth shut at times.''

Emerson1
04-19-2011, 11:30 PM
Hope the Mavs hire a true color analyst next season. Derek Harper is terrible.

Farmersfan
04-20-2011, 07:58 AM
I can't stand the fact that the Mavs are playing in Dallas and their games aren't even starting until bedtime. WTH? How late will they be playing when they go to Portland?

On another note I have to comment on the resilience of this team so far. Some of worst played basketball I've seen from the Mavs early in these games and yet they buckle down and play tough D and manage to pull out a win. This is a very tough matchup for them. The Blazers are very young, tall and athletic. God forbid they should figure out that the Mavs can't handle Aldridge and start feeding him the ball a lot. (Only two shots in the 4th last night). The Mavs will go to Portland with a 2-0 series lead and they have been pretty tough on the road this season.

Emerson1
04-20-2011, 08:12 AM
Scheduled start time Thursday is 9:30, so a 9:45 start probably.

Farmersfan
04-20-2011, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Scheduled start time Thursday is 9:30, so a 9:45 start probably.

Ridiculous! :( :(

On another note: I watched sportscenter this morning and the leadoff story was the Knicks vs Celtics highlights. Then 18 minutes later after several hockey highlites and baseball game highlites came the Mavs game highlites. Do you think ESPN has a priority?

GrTigers6
04-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Absolutely, Any team in the northeast, then the rest, and then Texas.

icu812
04-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Mavs D was impressive last night in the 4th quarter.

Jason Kidd is a freak.

JJ Barea is turning into a decent nba back up pg (never thought i'd say that!)

waterboy
04-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Do y'all realize the Mavs had ZERO turnovers for the last 28:42 of last night's game? All I can say is, WOW, that's amazing and very impressive. It'll be tough to win in Portland, but if the Mavs play like they are capable, I think they can steal a game up there.

Emerson1
04-20-2011, 01:20 PM
JJ was a lot better in this game.

There will be half the fouls called in Portland. Someone other then Kidd and Dirk are going to gave to show up on offense. Terry going for 18 would be nice.

Farmersfan
04-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
JJ was a lot better in this game.

There will be half the fouls called in Portland. Someone other then Kidd and Dirk are going to gave to show up on offense. Terry going for 18 would be nice.

It would be nice if Chandler and Marion could contribute more than single digit points.