PDA

View Full Version : Alumni Football Games

bulldog82
04-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Has anyone ever heard of this? looks lejit. My son was sent this link check it out, see if your school has a rivary game scheduled or maybe request one. alumnifootballusa.com click on state and find your area. one last game to put up or shut up!

BaseballUmp
04-06-2011, 12:19 AM
Cameron and Rockdale had one back in February. 1st play and there was already a scuffle. Officials threatened to stop the game if anything else happened. Expect a lot of the same in other games.

Rabid Cougar
04-06-2011, 06:06 AM
Like they are some sort of redo or to settle some score. Someones idea of making a buck.

bulldog82
04-06-2011, 06:28 AM
maybe the two don't like each other and get a chance to crack heads!

PPSTATEBOUND
04-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Tore my left quad and broke a thumb in our '95 game..although fun I would not recommend it.:D

Trench Warrior
04-06-2011, 08:22 AM
When I think of alumni games I think of some big yolked up 19 year old looking for the first unsuspecting victim to earhole. Being removed from playing football for 10 years, that victim might be me and I have a wife and kids. I have no score to settle, and if that is the real reason for game, I will watch.

RoyceTTU
04-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Trench Warrior
When I think of alumni games I think of some big yolked up 19 year old looking for the first unsuspecting victim to earhole. Being removed from playing football for 10 years, that victim might be me and I have a wife and kids. I have no score to settle, and if that is the real reason for game, I will watch.

LOL, I here you, the only score to settle I have is shooting scratch golf:D

trojandad
04-06-2011, 08:30 AM
reminds me of that robin williams, kurt russell movie "the best of times"......

piratebg
04-06-2011, 08:42 AM
Sinton has been trying to put together a team for about a year now I think. They were trying to schedule games against West Oso and Mathis.

Trench Warrior
04-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Yeah no scores to settle here. Could be fun to watch. Like a football version of Grown Ups. Every town has those dads that still talk about the good ole' days and should, coulda, wouldas. "If I just had one more chance," speeches. We can let them play ( I mean get lit up ) and see if that changes anything.

theville
04-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Stephenville and Brownwood have an alumni game set up.

Talked to Shey Ratliff the other day for those Brownwood folks. Seems he is doing real good.

RoyceTTU
04-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by theville

Talked to Shey Ratliff the other day for those Brownwood folks. Seems he is doing real good.

I ran into him couple of weeks ago. He still looks like he can run. He has weathered much better than I :doh: :D

megaman2184
04-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Robstown already had 3 alumni games played this year. I was apart of the first alumni game played but missed the other too. The risk factor of getting hurt is high and I got bills to pay. I just had a hard time trust the younger kids who have not yet matured and have more aggression in them.

bulldog82
04-06-2011, 02:42 PM
I see, so all those that talk smack on the downlow are full of it when there's a chance to put your money where your mouth is, if you think your going to get hurt, you probly will so best stay in the stands. why not be the old guy that ear holes the young mouthy stud?

Old LB
04-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by bulldog82
I see, so all those that talk smack on the downlow are full of it when there's a chance to put your money where your mouth is, if you think your going to get hurt, you probly will so best stay in the stands. why not be the old guy that ear holes the young mouthy stud?

A lot of difference between 20 and 40. Some folks even grow wiser as they grow older. :D

bulldog82
04-06-2011, 02:59 PM
well if your 40 and trying to play ball since high school or maybe college,you deserve what you get, know your limits. I was thinking 10 -15 years out, come on man 40?

hollywood
04-06-2011, 03:09 PM
I ain't scared to knock a few kids around. lol

I'm over it now though... closer to 40 than I am 30 now. ;)

Old LB
04-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by hollywood

I'd love to play again, just wouldn't be able to walk the next day.:D

OldBison75
04-06-2011, 03:19 PM
I noticed that the Buffalo, Jewitt-Leon, Centerville, and Franklin held alumni games this past week to raise money for charities.

I heard the games were very entertaining and except for some sore muscles and bruises, everybody got out in good health. The reason for the games were clear and honored-to raise some money and have fun.

jason
04-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by theville

Talked to Shey Ratliff the other day for those Brownwood folks. Seems he is doing real good. kolb at qb for stephenville ?

Trench Warrior
04-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Bulldog82 it has a lot more to do with knowing my limits and not having to prove anything or putting any money where my mouth is or any of that nonsense. It has to do with watching the KIDS play the things we had our chances and opportunities to do way back then. Im guessing the 82' is when you graduated. 30 years ago. I'm all for raising money for organizations or charities, but I will pay to watch this madness. I step foot on the field every Friday, but it is as a coach. I'm way past my prime and my place is now on the other side of the white line.

garciap77
04-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by hollywood

:eek: :eek: :eek:

garciap77
04-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Trench Warrior
Bulldog82 it has a lot more to do with knowing my limits and not having to prove anything or putting any money where my mouth is or any of that nonsense. It has to do with watching the KIDS play the things we had our chances and opportunities to do way back then. Im guessing the 82' is when you graduated. 30 years ago. I'm all for raising money for organizations or charities, but I will pay to watch this madness. I step foot on the field every Friday, but it is as a coach. I'm way past my prime and my place is now on the other side of the white line.

I thought you were a student.:confused:

Sweetwater Red
04-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Sweetwater and Snyder did this last year and are gonna do it again in a few weeks. Unfortunately,
the company organizing it didn't do much to advertise it. So, not many showed up in the
stands. Although I think Snyder's entire student body was there at the bowl to support Black
Magic.

The difference between this year and last will be that this year our team will be loaded. :devil:

Trench Warrior
04-06-2011, 11:37 PM
I was a student once upon a time, but that time was long ago.

Z-RO
04-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Its legit, just ran extremely ghetto. Most of the time you are not even given locker rooms or ample time to warm up.

TheDOCTORdre
04-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Sweetwater and Snyder did this last year and are gonna do it again in a few weeks.

Saturday April 23rd 7:30 at Mustang Bowl

Black_Magic
04-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Last I heard it is off. Niether the bowl or tiger stadium are available and there are not enough guys signed up for it to be on. Last I heard there were a total of 30 or so for both combined teams..

DavidWooderson
04-08-2011, 12:46 PM
I've always thought it'd be fun to do in Pilot Point. Hold it in the spring and have it just an Alumni game or have the out going seniors play the Alumni. I don't think it should be full contact, with pads, but what's wrong with a good ole fashioned, backyard flag football game?

Get the Alumni there and have two captains and just pick your team from there, 5 or 10 a head, have the coaches be the refs so you're not out those expenses. Have the band there to play, heck if old band members can still play, let them get a group together and play.

Or even an Alumni 7 on 7 tournament

Sweetwater Red
04-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Last I heard it is off. Niether the bowl or tiger stadium are available and there are not enough guys signed up for it to be on. Last I heard there were a total of 30 or so for both combined teams..

There was a bit of a controversy as to who should be the first to
play on the new turf. The call was made and the deal finalized.
The game will be played at Mustang Bowl. That is if Snyder shows
up. I heard that Snyder doesn't have a team leader and they
haven't had one practice. Sweetwater has been practicing at
a secret location, at undisclosed days and times for weeks now. :devil:

Also, it shows that 38 players have signed up for Snyder and 30
something for Sweetwater. But, some of those have already
backed out. The number of players expected to be there for us
is 26.

Black_Magic
04-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
There was a bit of a controversy as to who should be the first to
play on the new turf. The call was made and the deal finalized.
The game will be played at Mustang Bowl. That is if Snyder shows
up. I heard that Snyder doesn't have a team leader and they
haven't had one practice. Sweetwater has been practicing at
a secret location, at undisclosed days and times for weeks now. :devil:

Also, it shows that 38 players have signed up for Snyder and 30
something for Sweetwater. But, some of those have already
backed out. The number of players expected to be there for us
is 26. You gona strap it on? or you gona sit in the stands?:thinking:

Rabid Cougar
04-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by DavidWooderson
I've always thought it'd be fun to do in Pilot Point. Hold it in the spring and have it just an Alumni game or have the out going seniors play the Alumni. I don't think it should be full contact, with pads, but what's wrong with a good ole fashioned, backyard flag football game?

Get the Alumni there and have two captains and just pick your team from there, 5 or 10 a head, have the coaches be the refs so you're not out those expenses. Have the band there to play, heck if old band members can still play, let them get a group together and play.

Or even an Alumni 7 on 7 tournament

Outgoing seniors play Alumni? You want to talk about a blood bath, even for flag football.

I know what my 20 year old is capable of (6'4" 265Lbs) and even though I THINK I might still have what it takes to stay with him... even for a game of flag or 7 on 7..
All I have to do is go to his college football practice .....
NO FREAKING WAY!

TheDOCTORdre
04-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
You gona strap it on? or you gona sit in the stands?:thinking:

Does anyone else think that the Saturday before Easter is bad timing for the game?

AP Panther Fan
04-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Does anyone else think that the Saturday before Easter is bad timing for the game?

Sounds like a weekend for goose eggs rather than Easter eggs.

Might be an excellent date for those looking for the perfect excuse to forego the traditional family festivities. Some might be too sore to hide eggs for the kids, stand over a barbecue pit or lift anything heavier than 12 oz.