PDA

View Full Version : Should Dads Coach Own Kids?

Bullaholic
04-04-2011, 01:01 PM
What do you think are the pros and cons of dads coaching their own kids on rec or select teams? School teams?

The cons you always hear are that coach's kids always play the preferred positions regardless of ability, and that some dad/ coaches are harder on their own kids than the others.

waterboy
04-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Pros: they get to be with their kids more, they are more involved with their kids, they can straighten them out themselves when they get out of line, coach's kids seem to know the fundamentals a little better most of the time

Cons: can be a conflict of interest because undoubtedly other parents think their kid is a better player whether it's true or not, can be some preferential treatment by the parent/coach, dealing with other parents who don't see what you see, parents can be unruly and overbearing, some even think they can outcoach you yet you don't see them volunteering....:thinking:

There's many other pros and cons, but these are the first to come to mind.....

Cam
04-04-2011, 01:27 PM
I coached my oldest boy. I think I did a pretty good job with him. But I must admit, some parents are not made to. I've seen way too many dads totally push and abuse their kids. Parents sometimes forget this is their kids time to enjoy their youth. I feel blessed for everyday I get to see my kids do anything!

Ernest T Bass
04-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Rec or select leagues? Probably not. Other parents have paid for their kids to play, and the coach really has nothing invested.
HS? Sure. It's his paycheck he's screwing up by showing favoritism to his kid.

Rabid Cougar
04-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Waterboy's Pros are right on the money.

The Con: What weighed heavily on me more than anything was that I was way harder my own boys than the other players. That generally got me in more trouble with the wife than anything else. I also didn't let them play the glamour positions. I did if they were the best talent for the position at the time but mostly played them where I needed them. That got me in hot water with them.

Some of the most enjoyable times of my life and would not change them for the world.
Also some of the most embarrassing and not in a good way.. I would change those in a heartbeat

bobcat1
04-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
Waterboy's Pros are right on the money.

The Con: What weighed heavily on me more than anything was that I was way harder my own boys than the other players. That generally got me in more trouble with the wife than anything else. I also didn't let them play the glamour positions. I did if they were the best talent for the position at the time but mostly played them where I needed them. That got me in hot water with them.

Some of the most enjoyable times of my life and would not change them for the world.
Also some of the most embarrassing and not in a good way.. I would change those in a heartbeat Nailed it. I coached all 4 of mine. lot of work but the improvement you see in the kids you coach made all the rest of the BS that goes with it worth it. When you saw that flash of a smile from a kid that got it done the first time after trying several times and failing was all the payment needed.

hollywood
04-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Nailed it. I coached all 4 of mine. lot of work but the improvement you see in the kids you coach made all the rest of the BS that goes with it worth it. When you saw that flash of a smile from a kid that got it done the first time after trying several times and failing was all the payment needed.

Agreed

DavidWooderson
04-04-2011, 08:22 PM
I've been able to pass the buck on this twice so far, but not sure how much longer I'll get away with.

First was soccer last spring and this spring and I got out of that because I know nothing about soccer other than people run around and kick a ball. Then was last fall with flag football. THOUGH I would have loved to have coached it, I got out of it. BUT not sure if I can get out of baseball. My little guy is 5 and we're skipping t-ball mainly because my wife and I know he'd be bored with it. My wife's two brothers have sons that are 12 and 10 and 11 and 8. He's played baseball since he could walk.

ANYWAY my best friend who has a son his age coaches a t-ball team and has already said that he wants Little Wooderson to play on. So I'll probably get roped into coaching.

As far as pros and cons. From recent experience in my home town the pro was the HC had two very good, big OLineman as sons. The con was it didn't matter how many personal fouls or other penalties they got, they never got in trouble but if another player did it was the end of the world. ALSO his kids had/have colleges looking at them, one is now at Arkansas, the other has about 7 D1 schools looking at him. While the 3,000 yard/50TD RB and 1,600 passing/1,600 rushing 22 passing TD/14 Rushing TD/4 INT QB that helped get that '09 State Championship didn't have any help.

LH Panther Mom
04-04-2011, 09:03 PM
If it's school sports, many times the coach has no choice! It's not like they get to "pick" their team!

Although I can pretty well say that while my dad didn't coach me, I still had to listen to him yell at me to get up and finish after I wiped out on a hurdle, with red cinder chips in my knee and blood running down my leg. So, yeah, lots of them are harder on their kids.

And some of the worst coaches I have witnessed have been the little league/dribblers/peewee football dads with their kids! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

PPHSfan
04-04-2011, 09:27 PM
If their last name is Shipley they should!!