PDA

View Full Version : Metal Detectors....are they cool or not?

Cam
04-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Here's kinda a funny story bout my dad: Dad always wanted a metal detector. So, I finally gave him one for Christmas one year. Paid off right away as that night I went out on the front yard and found a silver necklace I had lost years earlier while playing football with my buddies. (felt really bad cause I had always accused one of my buds of stealing it!) Anyway, that was probably the only time this detector ever got used! Dad would refuse to mess with it. I thought maybe he was just embarrassed cause he was a very shy man. Finally, after about a year I asked him, "Dad, why don't you ever use the metal detector"? He paused for a second and said, "Porque buscas lo que nunca perdiste"? TRANSLATION: "Why look for something you never lost"?
In my mind I'm thinkin', SON-OF-A-BITCH! WHY THE HELL DID HE EVER ASK FOR ONE! I thought that was hilarious. I miss that ol' fart! I ended up keepin' the detector and had some fun with it over the years. Once stopped at a lonely highway intersection in south Texas where there was a monument/canon of a battlefield site between Mexican & Texan armies. I jumped the barbed wire fence & snuck off into the mesquite trees where I quickly found an army coat button, some metal fragments, and a rusted (what looked like a coin) 9/10" of an inch diameter piece...never figured out what that was...I got the heck out of there before I got caught & arrested....

Farmersfan
04-04-2011, 10:14 AM
I have always wanted one of these. But I also always felt it would soon just sit in the closet after I got tired of digging up beer cans and soda tops. Do you use yours much?

Cam
04-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I have always wanted one of these. But I also always felt it would soon just sit in the closet after I got tired of digging up beer cans and soda tops. Do you use yours much?

Actually, my dad's Garrett brand detector quit working. Not sure what happened to it. I recently trashed it. Some of the newer ones are so good they basically tell you what's down there. But they are costly...I hear Whites metal detectors are really good. If you live in the Dallas area, Garrett's main headquarters is in Garland. Worth stopping in and checking out their showroom of relics that have been found. I believe it's there where they have the tin man's heart on display that the ol' SOB Wizard finally gave him...some dude from Wylie found it and claims it's the original... :D
pos yo no se..

Rabid Cougar
04-04-2011, 01:59 PM
The Army have big motorized metal detectors that look like a farm tractor except with armor and truck tires. They use them for route clearing on the road here in Afghanistan. Looks like something out of Transformers.

http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/40/06/3d695beb47acb131251a444709e8.jpeg