PDA

View Full Version : Pass Counts?

XMan
04-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Do any of your schools keep a pass count on their QBs to protect them from arm injuries? Most pitchers have their counts monitored and are usually stopped somewhere around 100. Was just wondering how many passes your qb can throw before the backup qb is brought in so that the starters arm isnt injured. I am thinking that its probably even more important to keep the count during practice as ive seen guys throw hundreds of passes in one day.

Ernest T Bass
04-03-2011, 06:05 PM
No, different dynamic involved in passing than pitching.

Txbroadcaster
04-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
No, different dynamic involved in passing than pitching.

yep the torque of throwing breaking pitches is what does the real wear and tear

XMan
04-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Im thinking that its still an overhand throw.

Ernest T Bass
04-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Still a totally different dynamic. Like TxB said, the torque of a baseball pitch is what destroys the shoulder.

Sweetwater Red
04-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
yep the torque of throwing breaking pitches is what does the real wear and tear

Yep and knuckle ballers like Charlie Hough can pitch until they're almost 50.

STANG RED
04-03-2011, 07:01 PM
If a QB was throwing a deep ball every time, it might become an issue, but that never happens.

coach
04-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by XMan
Do any of your schools keep a pass count on their QBs to protect them from arm injuries? Most pitchers have their counts monitored and are usually stopped somewhere around 100. Was just wondering how many passes your qb can throw before the backup qb is brought in so that the starters arm isnt injured. I am thinking that its probably even more important to keep the count during practice as ive seen guys throw hundreds of passes in one day.

the only time they might keep an eye on it is the first couple of days during 2 a days. And the only reason is bc the kid will be sore as hell the next day if he threw 100+ balls right from the get go. But like ETB said, it's a completly different dynamic, plus they don'y throw the ball as hard as they can everytime whereas in a pitcher arm speed is a key in most of his pitches. Plus he doesnt throw repeatedly.

LH Panther Mom
04-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Our QB's are only allowed to throw a maximum of 6 passes per game. :devil:

Sweetwater Red
04-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

And I'm guessing that's only when it's 3rd and twenty or the game is on the line? :thinking: :D

Additup
04-03-2011, 08:31 PM
...but every 3rd completion is for a TD.

LH Panther Mom
04-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
And I'm guessing that's only when it's 3rd and twenty or the game is on the line? :thinking: :D
Uhm, only 4 of them. The other 2 are "just 'cause". :p

Sweetwater Red
04-03-2011, 08:54 PM
The other 2 are "just 'cause". :p

Hey, it worked against Cuero last year. I saw that first hand. :)

Ernest T Bass
04-03-2011, 11:30 PM
Years ago, we were playing Crandall who was known for their option game. We knew that if they threw a pass, we could bring the house on the next play b/c they were never gonna throw two in a row.

GreenMonster
04-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by XMan
Do any of your schools keep a pass count on their QBs to protect them from arm injuries? Most pitchers have their counts monitored and are usually stopped somewhere around 100. Was just wondering how many passes your qb can throw before the backup qb is brought in so that the starters arm isnt injured. I am thinking that its probably even more important to keep the count during practice as ive seen guys throw hundreds of passes in one day. Love this post. Pitch counts are bogus. There is no magic number. Pitch counts were started by MLB pitching coaches whose pitchers throw every 5th day over a 162 game season. The same MLB that used to have a 4 man rotation and asked those pitchers to go at the minimum 8 innings. The funny thing is there were fewer injuries in the old days than now because the pitchers were conditioned to throw that many innings. Nolan Ryan is rocking the boat right now with his minor league development plan for pitchers by simply taking the game back to an earlier era.

Rabid Cougar
04-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Most old QB's can still throw 60 yard passes. Its mostly their knees and heads that give way before their arms go.