PDA

View Full Version : Quiting

dirtysouth
04-01-2011, 10:14 AM
In todays society quiting seems to be more socially acceptable. What are some of the rules your school has put in place or things they have tried to make it harder for kids to quit?

runtowin
04-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Our kids must leave the school or be subjected to constant beatings in the hallways. Admin is in favor of this, it's nice. The problem is we will have 60 on JV next year and only about 12 can actually play.

RoyceTTU
04-01-2011, 10:20 AM
http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/files/2009/03/leonidas20and20persian20messenger203.jpg

dirtysouth
04-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Seriously though guys.....and 60 on JV and 12 that can play is better than 18-20 on JV and about 6 that can play.

Super_R
04-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by dirtysouth
Seriously though guys.....and 60 on JV and 12 that can play is better than 18-20 on JV and about 6 that can play.

Its easier to administer the beatings when there are less to beat. Beating kids wears you out.

runtowin
04-01-2011, 11:15 AM
hard to justify 48 kids standing around not playing. In your case you have to play 11 so there are only a few standing around.

dirtysouth
04-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Im not just talkign football. Im talking kids quiting football cause its too tough and then going and playing basketball. Im talking about a kid that starts baseball and quits because he may be losing his football spot. Just quiting in general. What would be a good way to stop it in a school?

Black_Magic
04-01-2011, 11:23 AM
THIS IS SNYDER!!!http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQK6Xdlb-x76Brp5coTyc1FWE0mZwwDfLgXemfNO7rIgledqxru&t=1

Old LB
04-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by dirtysouth
Im not just talkign football. Im talking kids quiting football cause its too tough and then going and playing basketball. Im talking about a kid that starts baseball and quits because he may be losing his football spot. Just quiting in general. What would be a good way to stop it in a school?

Could be a coaching issue, sounds like the kids do not believe in the program.

LH Panther Mom
04-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Would it be possible to not allow them to start one sport if they quit the other? At least, maybe until the next sport came around? Like, if they quit football for basketball, don't let them play until track/baseball/softball time?

I'm sure that would be too much trauma on Little Johnny/Susie, though. :rolleyes:

dirtysouth
04-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Keep them coming

Farmersfan
04-05-2011, 09:32 AM
It's kind of hard to claim that athletics are there for the kids if the school attempts to force participation. I think the whole quitting epidemic is more a condition of society than anything. We have a whole generation of people who walk away from bad debts, skip out on bad mortgages and just generally don't take personal responsibility for much at all. And these people are raising the kids that are quitting in our schools.
On the other hand I have been guilty of trying to get my son to quit because of a moron coach and he refused so perhaps the kids are ok dispite what we are teaching them.

Ernest T Bass
04-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Quiting is indeed a habit.

Txbroadcaster
04-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Just like alot of things I think the perception that kids quit more now than in the past is rubbish...I played from 8th grade thru my Sr year (88-92)...We had a ton more kids who played in JR High than we did on on the varsity my SR year...that is why so many Jr High teams will have two teams..kids move, get hurt, dont like playing the game, see they have no chance taking the field and so on..but that has happened since there was High School sports

runtowin
04-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Attrition. All little league ALL-STAR Jimmies do not become High School All-State Jims. When everyone gets to play because they paid the same league fees, they believe they are players. When dedication, skill and production become the factors that determine who gets playing time many decide it is too tough.

bobcat1
04-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Quiting is indeed a habit. Agreed. So is perserverance.

Farmersfan
04-05-2011, 02:46 PM
I also think that kids today have a much higher hopelessness factor to deal with. Things aren't real rosey for their futures these days and not having a lot a hope for your future would seem to make it tougher to stick with something. The "World is your Oyster" thinking is pretty much a thing of the past.

AP Panther Fan
04-05-2011, 03:24 PM
ohhh, I thought this thread was about quilting.....not that I know how....

carry on.....:cool:

Old LB
04-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan

Did you quit your quilting class? :D

injuredinmelee
04-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Wylies policy is something like this example. Kid starts basketball season but quits the team in time for beginning of baseball season. He would not be allowed to start baseball until the basketball teams season ran its course.

Additup
04-05-2011, 10:17 PM
When a coach allows a kid who quits on his teammates to be part of another team, that kid will usually quit on them too.

If I coached a sport that cut players, a pattern or history of quitting would be reason enough to get cut. How can a coach be asked to make a competitive team made up of quitters?

Leopards don't go changing their spots very often.

XMan
04-05-2011, 11:30 PM
What exactly is quiting?

bulldog82
04-06-2011, 12:08 AM
kids are spoiled and dont know what work is. they would much rather sit in a/c and play video games. i have a 12 year old that is all-state. next, they would rather be partying, and finally........women, you can bet there's a woman in the mix. i never get to see you.....you're always at practice.... you'r tired....

big daddy russ
04-06-2011, 02:43 AM

Maybe quiting is a mix of "quieting" and "quilting." If so, it's a great way to keep rural girls productive and quiet at the same time. :devil:

dirtysouth
04-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Additup
When a coach allows a kid who quits on his teammates to be part of another team, that kid will usually quit on them too.

If I coached a sport that cut players, a pattern or history of quitting would be reason enough to get cut. How can a coach be asked to make a competitive team made up of quitters?

Leopards don't go changing their spots very often.

I couldnt agree more!!

When I say quiting I mean starting a sport and then quiting in the middle of it. That is way different than playing your Soph year and then deciding not to play as a Jr. If its not for you dont play but if you start something freakin finish it!

I agree with the lazy thing, and the girl issue!

bulldog82
04-06-2011, 02:54 PM
My son gave upa childhood dream and chance to play at a D1 school for a girl. Now they're broke up and he's sitting on his a**. but she still manages to still mess with his head, i don't know if he'll ever snap out of it. I can also name several other young men with talent for the next level that are throwing it away for a girl. heck even at the pro level women have a way of screwing that up. lot of power between their legs!

lostaussie
04-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Would it be possible to not allow them to start one sport if they quit the other? At least, maybe until the next sport came around? Like, if they quit football for basketball, don't let them play until track/baseball/softball time?
This how it is done where my kid goes to school. you quit one you have to skip the next................quit football, no playing until baseball or track and no one can quit without a parent/coach conference.

lostaussie
04-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by bulldog82
My son gave upa childhood dream and chance to play at a D1 school for a girl. Now they're broke up and he's sitting on his a**. but she still manages to still mess with his head, i don't know if he'll ever snap out of it. I can also name several other young men with talent for the next level that are throwing it away for a girl. heck even at the pro level women have a way of screwing that up. lot of power between their legs! he will snap out of it.................happened to me once upon a time, and look how I turned out:D

Ernest T Bass
04-06-2011, 03:38 PM
My son gave upa childhood dream and chance to play at a D1 school for a girl. Now they're broke up and he's sitting on his a**. but she still manages to still mess with his head, i don't know if he'll ever snap out of it. I can also name several other young men with talent for the next level that are throwing it away for a girl. heck even at the pro level women have a way of screwing that up. lot of power between their legs!

It's undefeated.

AP Panther Fan
04-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Maybe quiting is a mix of "quieting" and "quilting." If so, it's a great way to keep rural girls productive and quiet at the same time. :devil:

Nice try:p

Hmmm, I think this could go both ways. I am sure there is more than one young woman's daddy out there that might say, "If my little Suzie hadn't married that DA she would be a doctor, attorney, large animal vet, etc... right now."

Just sayin....

Bullaholic
04-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Nice try:p

Hmmm, I think this could go both ways. I am sure there is more than one young woman's daddy out there that might say, "If my little Suzie hadn't married that DA she would be a doctor, attorney, large animal vet, etc... right now."

Just sayin....

What you got against District Attorneys? :D And girls can be any of those things you named as long as it don't get in the way of their cookin' and cleanin'.....:D

AP Panther Fan
04-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
And girls can be any of those things you named as long as it don't get in the way of their cookin' and cleanin'.....:D

Don't forget the barefoot and pregnant part.

pot stirrers...all of you (except the ones that mean it).

bobcat1
04-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Don't forget the barefoot and pregnant part.

pot stirrers...all of you (except the ones that mean it). Barefoot yep. Pregnant? No thanks. Take the babymaker out and make a playhouse out of it. :D :p And don't forget the Sensuos part.... you know sensuous up get me another beer. ;)